Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

Now if only i can get the deltav/amount of fuel correct for the CSM/LM.. it seems that ker is bugged, it either doesn't show a thing or it shows a undervalued deltav. Ship gets too heavy and dont have enough fuel for TLI burn.

Does MJ work better for deltav readout?

Have you reported this in the KER thread? I suspect that your situation is one that is known to be awkward for deltaV calculators, namely your mission profile involves undocking and redocking craft together and the calculator can't know at what point in the fuel usage these dockings take place so it has to make assumptions. Also, craft that decouple their root part are also known to give calculators issues.

Yes, very much so. It can show both TWR and delta-v in two versions: at sea level and in vacuum, very useful for designing rockets.

How does this make it better than KER? KER does exactly the same (and more)...

It used not to be the case back when I played RO a lot (circa 23.5), and when I wrote the above, I thought it still didn't do that.

[edit:] Or maybe it could do that but it was not very well implemented, I can't remember what it was exactly, but in any case I found Mechjeb's delta-v readings much more trustworthy back then.

Things MechJeb does that KER doesn't:

• Estimated Node Burn Time
  • Estimated Node Burn Countdown
  • Management of whether or not RCS is used for rotation (Force only SAS on YPR, RCS for translation only)
  • Porkchop Plots
  • Suicide Burn Countdown
  • Acceleration readout
  • Heading (current Yaw / Pitch / Roll)
  • Heavily customizable displays
  • Rendezvous - time to closest approach
  • Rendezvous - Relative Velocity at Closest Approach
  • Rendezvous - Synodic Period
  • Rendezvous - Direct display of target orbit parameters
  • Recording of flight data (max Gs, drag losses, gravity losses, steering losses, dV expended, etc)
  • Angle of Attack
  • Angle of Sideslip
  • Atmospheric pressure / density
  • Dynamic pressure
  • Landing predictions

And that's not even mentioning anything about its autopilot capabilities. So if you just use it as a data-gathering machine, it's extremely effective, far moreso than Engineer.

Now granted, it's quite possible to fly a mission without any of those things. But those things certainly make life much easier.

Hey, that's me again ! :D

I've made my sweet sweet Saturn V with all the hardware to take me to the mun ! My problem is concerning the third stage of saturn V : it should use a J-2 engine (LOH/LOX) with about 1000 kN of thrust and possibility to ignite it at least to times. The problem is the KW Rocketry pack does have a J-2 engine, but only the 5-pack version (which goes to the second stage and does a wonderful work !). In replacment I was using a Ariane V first stage engine, which have almost the same caracteristics, but it can be ignited only once.

Can I find this particular engine anywhere, or should I edit a cfg file a make my Ariane engine ignite twice ? :\

Thanks !

ToyToy: Yes, of course. First and foremost, FASA has a beautiful model of this engine. It has beautiful models of all historical US manned rockets, in fact. Another, less memory-intensive possibility is the SXT mod by Lack, which is only partially supported, but very light on memory (and its J-2 model IS supported by RO, just not everything else is).

edit: Yet another option would be the RLA stockalike mod, which is fully supported and very recommended for it's extended selection of RCS thrusters. One of its engines is also configured by RO as a J-2, although it doesn't look as good as the ones above.

Edited by Hattivat

How can I get my configs added to RO pack? I have started making one for Tantares parts pack, forced by the lack of Soviet stuff, especially Soyuz.

Awesome! We have a guide on submitting on the wiki (link in the OP), or just jump on the IRC channel (also in the OP) and someone can help you with submitting your stuff. I always love to see more stuff added to the game, especially some russian stuff!

Okay, so I have a small problem. I'm trying to launch FASA's Explorer 1 into orbit, however my engine dies when there's still ~1000 units of fuel left in my tanks. Of course, this means that I can't get into orbit. I have managed to launch it several times without this happening, but then, one day, it started and hasn't stopped. I feel as if it's Engine Ignitor that's causing this, but I'm not certain. I have had this happen other times with different rockets as well. If anyone knows what this is all about, thanks.

Okay, so I have a small problem. I'm trying to launch FASA's Explorer 1 into orbit, however my engine dies when there's still ~1000 units of fuel left in my tanks. Of course, this means that I can't get into orbit. I have managed to launch it several times without this happening, but then, one day, it started and hasn't stopped. I feel as if it's Engine Ignitor that's causing this, but I'm not certain. I have had this happen other times with different rockets as well. If anyone knows what this is all about, thanks.

Are you sure it's 1000 units of both the fuels? Or does it use a monopropellant engine?

I've seen several times bugs where the fuel loaded into the rocket is not in the correct ratio so you run out of fuel before "all" your fuel is spent. The solution is just to remove all tanks from the tank part and put them back in.

Do you have remotetech installed and are you losing comm?

Hi BigbossASR,

this is, indeed, a feature - not a bug.

I have added this to the Q&A. To quote from it:

Only some engines feature the ability to throttle. This is a reflection of their real-life attributes. If you are looking for throttleable engines, try the Lunar Descent and Ascent engines, or the Space Shuttle Main Engines.

BigbossASR: What 3_14159 says is correct. You need to select your engines more carefully than you would in stock, making sure that they have the right amount of thrust for your needs, among other things. This is discussed in the introductory guide to building rockets ( https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/First-RO-Rocket ), as well as more in-depth on other pages of our wiki (for example here https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/Engine-Usage-and-Stage-Sizing ). With most engines the only way you can alter your TWR (other than by changing engines) is by adjusting the amount of fuel you carry (which is why procedural tanks are very useful).

Ok, so I have a few questions.

I've recently installed the realism overhaul manually, with the following mods:

AJE

DEADLYREENTRY

KJR

FAR

RSS

MECHJEB

PROCEDURAL PARTS

PROCEDURAL FAIRINGS

REAL FUELS (WITH THE STOCKALIKE ENGINE PACK)

REAL CHUTES

REMOTE TECH

SOVIET ENGINES

TANTARES STOCKALIKE

TAC LIFE SUPPORT

ENGINE IGNITOR

CROSSFEED ENABLER

HABITAT PACK

With the Real fuels stockalike engine pack, none of the the stock engines are changed, they still have the same thrust even though it seems as though they should have higher thrust to compensate for the real size Kerbin. The soviet engines do have significantly higher thrust than the stock ones.

Another thing, thrust doesn't change when using different fuels, even though the wiki talks about how thrust changes for different mixes.

One final thing, I decided to try the REACHING FOR THE STARS engine pack for real fuels, and it did raise engine thrusts, yet it changed some of the soviet engines to liquid fuel + oxidizer for some reason, and with the STOCKALIKE real fuels engine pack, all of the soviet engines run on kerosene + liquid oxygen, even though some of them are supposed to be liquid hydrogen + liquid oxygen.

ANY EXPLANATOINS/SOLUTIONS???

What about fuel and oxidizer, do you have both? Looking it up, looks like the original Explorer 1 used mostly solid fuel, what kind of fuel are you running out of?

The Juno 1 booster is the one running out of fuel. It has both fuel and oxidizer in it. I'll check again later today to see whether I can get any more information. Thanks for your help. :)

Ok, so I have a few questions.

I've recently installed the realism overhaul manually, with the following mods:

AJE

DEADLYREENTRY

KJR

FAR

RSS

MECHJEB

PROCEDURAL PARTS

PROCEDURAL FAIRINGS

REAL FUELS (WITH THE STOCKALIKE ENGINE PACK)

REAL CHUTES

REMOTE TECH

SOVIET ENGINES

TANTARES STOCKALIKE

TAC LIFE SUPPORT

ENGINE IGNITOR

CROSSFEED ENABLER

HABITAT PACK

With the Real fuels stockalike engine pack, none of the the stock engines are changed, they still have the same thrust even though it seems as though they should have higher thrust to compensate for the real size Kerbin. The soviet engines do have significantly higher thrust than the stock ones.

Another thing, thrust doesn't change when using different fuels, even though the wiki talks about how thrust changes for different mixes.

One final thing, I decided to try the REACHING FOR THE STARS engine pack for real fuels, and it did raise engine thrusts, yet it changed some of the soviet engines to liquid fuel + oxidizer for some reason, and with the STOCKALIKE real fuels engine pack, all of the soviet engines run on kerosene + liquid oxygen, even though some of them are supposed to be liquid hydrogen + liquid oxygen.

ANY EXPLANATOINS/SOLUTIONS???

Per my understanding, both of those real fuels configs are out of date. You should use Realism Overhaul for up-to-date configurations. You can always go pick out the engine configs you want and ditch the rest of the configs.

I have a few questions:

I'm using real fuels with stockalike engine pack and soviet engines, and first of all all of the soviet engines burn kerosene + lqd oxygen for some reason and another thing, their power is to scale with rss, yet all the other engines aren't.

OK so I recently downloaded the realism overhaul along with most of the recommended and a few of the suggested mods manually, (option B) and a few days later noticed that option A was available. I had already compiled all the mods so I figured I would just go with it, yet I soon realized that there were compatibility problems with real fuels and engines from other mod packs.

So I tried option A (CKAN) and everything was working fine, however when I try to download anything other than realism overhaul via CKAN, the client freezes and becomes nonresponsive. So I then decided to try the last stable release and not the pre release, and that version flat out didn't work, it just opened and then closed immediately.

HALP!!!

OK so I recently downloaded the realism overhaul along with most of the recommended and a few of the suggested mods manually, (option B) and a few days later noticed that option A was available. I had already compiled all the mods so I figured I would just go with it, yet I soon realized that there were compatibility problems with real fuels and engines from other mod packs.

So I tried option A (CKAN) and everything was working fine, however when I try to download anything other than realism overhaul via CKAN, the client freezes and becomes nonresponsive. So I then decided to try the last stable release and not the pre release, and that version flat out didn't work, it just opened and then closed immediately.

HALP!!!

CKAN GUI is in the experimental only stage right now. Have a look at the instructions, it was you through exactly what to do. Though those instructions were put together prior to the version of the GUI where you could select suggested mods too.

Regardless, short version:

Open GUI

Select realism overhaul

Click go to changes

Click apply

On recommended mods unselect hot rockets and whatever else you want don't want.

On suggested mods select whatever you want from the list.

Keep making selections until it installs

It installs

You're done!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.