Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

For anyone wondering how to get Explorer 1 into orbit, here's how I did it.

VMoSkMVl.jpg

Note: Make sure you change the engine config from Ethanol/LOx to Hydyne/LOx. Ethanol was used for Redstone, Hydyne for Juno I / Jupiter-C.

Fly that ascent path until burnout of the booster, then decouple. turn on RCS, aim directly at 90 degrees heading, 0 pitch, spin up and decouple at about 10 seconds to apogee, then fire the solids in succession. You will indeed probably need to spin up for stability...

Out of curiosity, is there a place to go to find RO configs for the historical mods out there (Bobcat's stuff, the ESA stuff), if they exist? In the RO Release thread screenshots, I see Bobcat's Soyuz, but I haven't seen anywhere to add it to my own RO save. Under development, maybe?

CAREER MODE: why is it that when splashed down, even when not moving, the game doesn't allow you to recover the vessel or go the ksp because it tells you that you are moving, this is very annoying as it makes a career mode that is already sketchy at best waaay more difficult, because ending up on land ever time you re enter isn't as easy as it sounds.

This was a bug with FAR, and is already fixed in the latest version of that mod.

Also, you can recover at sea, you just need to click at the right moment. Takes a few attempts, but is definitely possible.

Most times for me that only happened when SAS was still activated.

Yes, provided by Real Fuels. It's called "exterior radiator fin" or something to that effect and comes in unassuming white.

Edit: Do not forget that it will take quite a few of these, plus an ungodly amount of electricity, to keep the fuel refrigerated.

So, I'm running KSP on Steam, which means there's no way (as far as I know) to avoid using 0.90. How do I install and run the latest version of KSP that runs with RO?

Don't know where you could get the 0.25 files now, but KSP on steam has no DRM. I just copied the whole KSP folder somewhere else before it installed the update so i can still play RO/RSS.

Ooooh, so THAT'S what that part does. Never quite understood where the part came from and what is it needed for :D

Thank you!

I'll save you a big headache and just say use room temp hyper golics if your going farther then the moon. I've tried reducing boil off with LiquidH2/O2 for interplanetary trips and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the fuel to last even half the trips duration.

This is probably a stupid question, but I've loaded the pack, and I can't switch engine configs in the VAB. Am I missing a mod or something, as being a mac user I couldn't use CKAN.

Oh, but you can :)

Make sure you have installed Mono, and then run

mono ckan.exe 

Well, i tried that, and twice on separate downloads Mono said that the file was corrupted and could not be read.

EDIT

Well, i solved that, it turns out i was using a piece of software called The Unarchiver to unzip RAR and winRAR files, and it decided to try unzipping ckan, with predictable results! I removed that but now can't find Mono anywhere, even after installing it!

Edited by MinimumSky5

I was wondering if there is a mod that let's you start with probes instead that with pods.

I know about "Better than starting manned" but it says on the forum thread that you are not supposed to add more mods if you use BTSM, and I'm not going to drop TAC-LS and MKS/OKS just because of that mod.

Or every other mod I want to use, for that matter.

Is there any other option? I think having probes first is more realistic

edit

Sorry, I didn't realize this was a thread of a specific mod, I'll post on another section

Edited by Sigma88

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.