Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

I am a bit hazy myself, but I believe the progression was something like this:

Vanguard: rather low reliability

-> Able I -> Able II (higher reliability, lighter)

-> Delta series (higher-yet reliability, but somewhat lower Isp to start with).

I have no idea why the -118 (for Delta A) had such a low Isp compared to the others.

Hi space engineers,

since RO/PR-0 are rather getting into a simulation over just a realism pack, I would like to suggest a feature which would really increase immersion to me. 

I am talking about using textures gained from ScanSat instruments for the textures seen in the game, when in mapview or the trackingstation. And to allow nothing but mapview only when in an unmaned probe. (Maybe we get a window for RastaProp cameras.) This would want us to fly a spaceprogram closer to the real one. With not just reading sciencelogs from other planets but to actually dis-cover them. And it would bring much more rewards for crewed missions, for you can see everything than.

I know this has been proposed already but I could not find the thread.

Edited by grosser_Salat

Right, so, good/bad/weird/"what?" news to report: We'll go in order.

Good: I have a tiny bit of free time again, and have started putting the 1.1.2 pieces together to get up to speed on this release. (I don't use CKAN. This takes a while.)

Bad: My resulting performance on OS X is *awful*. Or, more specifically, the flight view was managing about 1-2 fps. Map view was fine. This is a chronic (for me at least) OS X issue with the ocean/water ... things. I've solved it in years past by adjusting... something that eludes me at the moment in the settings regarding the ocean depth variables. I don't even know if that's still applicable.

Weird/mixed: In contrast, on my linux install, the performance is great! Same hardware, still opengl, night and day difference. Full gfx, scatterer, etc. No slowdowns really to speak of. Good job OS X :huh: But, the mixed part, is that evidently I get hit by the apparently known issue of the GC in Unity goofing and calling free() twice under linux and crashing the whole mess to the desktop. Good job Unity :mad: This of course happens on scene change, but not every scene change. (Just like 0.90 in OS X, come to think of it, haha.) I'm investigating workarounds, but it's clearly hard to chase down an intermittent (probably) engine bug. I sympathize with your plight.

"what?": Apparently for some inane reason, Github has flagged my account as a possible bot. I have no idea why. I have a ticket in with them to get that straightened out. I discovered this when going to make up a new PR, of course. Blahhhh ><

In other news, it handily gives me a bit of time to poke at it to see if any further bugs shake out... I made some changes, but they're somewhat guesswork at the moment.

tldr: i'm trying. The assorted gremlins of software development impedance are afoot to an extreme, however.

1.1.2, what i've been able to sneak in, is pretty damn fun though :D So, I guess the moral is to take any bright side you can get!

Edited by komodo

Hey you may have already answered an its probably annoying so I'm sorry :D but do you have a release date or an approximation?

I'd really love to play in a more stable 1.1. with the performance boost and such :). Absolute incredible work on that mod

2 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Can someone make a compiled list of all the engine part packs compatible with RSS/RO?

Hold on, I've see one of those before, let me look... 

I think this might be what you're looking for: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rSxyNjWSH7eWtUgRstVq_2jDGnAhTwtEiwyNIJhVALg/edit#gid=1930869161

Is there a way to use RSS with RO engines And Real fuels. But with out installing Ro fully? I don't want all the realism but I want the real life engines and performance because i'm Using Real fuels and RSS.

I have got a problem with my ksp crashing very easily with ro and recommended mods installed. ksp 32bit crashes right after load and 64bit crashes after a while playing the game. (whatever im doing) Im suspecting the RAM to be a problem but i have 8GB and im running it on 64bit Again only recommended and 3 rather small other supported ones.Anyone with a similar problem or a solution?

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 3:23 PM, nilof said:

Just made a Phoenix-inspired SSTO with lots of margin(more LEO payload than dry mass). Powered by 10 Merlin 1D+ and two Vulcain 2 engines:

iqC6f7V.png

http://imgur.com/iqC6f7V

Being able to get back to building cool rockets is awesome. :D

IS there a way to disable Tac life support? I mean I don't want to play that indepth and worry about my kerbals deeing of hunger and needing to evacuate waste ect. I just installed RO and I noticed it installs a life support plugin can I just Edit the life support.cfg and put everything to 0?

Edited by Dermeister

1 hour ago, Dermeister said:

IS there a way to disable Tac life support? I mean I don't want to play that indepth and worry about my kerbals deeing of hunger and needing to evacuate waste ect. I just installed RO and I noticed it installs a life support plugin can I just Edit the life support.cfg and put everything to 0?

You can just delete life support folder from your gamedata. It's called Thunder Aerospace.

Hello. Something goes wrong. Many engines hich have been supported in 1.0.5 now noy in RO (RP-0 yes). All stock parts, all engines from Soviet Engines Pack, KW Rocketery for exemple. Installed with CKAN. What I did wrong?

Edited by KOCTROTTAJI

Hi RO users

Please forgive my English it's not my native langage.

I'm curently seting up my config to play with RO and RP-0 in a 10x kerbol system.

There is something I don't understand with the Deep Space network.

I apologise for the newbie question but : if the deep space network cover all the system why do we have to worrie about wich antenna we have to set on probe ? If I understand how it works even with a small dp-10 I will be in range anywhere (except behind body) ?

There must be something I am mission here. I feel a bit dumb.

And one bonus question but not related to RO : do you know if there is a way to prevent Ven's stock part to revamp the DTS ? I prefer the original look for this dish (just in case someone knew it. I will post a reply in the right thread if not)

Thank you very much and again sory both for the langage and the stupid question 

Marsu 

Welcome @Marsu69!

First of all, I don't think you will be able to play RP-0 without the Real Solar System. AFAIK science only works in RP-0 with RSS.

About your question, if you are playing with Remote Tech, the way antennas work in RO is the root mode:

"The two antennas can communicate as long as they are within Min(r1, r2) + Sqrt(r1 r2) of each other, where r1 and r2 are the ranges of the two antennas, up to a limit of 100 times the omni range or 1000 times the dish range, whichever is smallest."

Thus, even though the DSN has a huge reach, you still need a dish with a range of 1/1000 of the distance to the place you intend to go. Besides, I'm not sure if you will have a DSN if you don't play in RSS.

Thanks for your reply @leudaimon

Are you sure that rp-0 need RSS ?

I've managed to do some early sounding rockets and it seems to work well for now (well I have not past the kerman line but i've gathered some science points with my first design)

The only thing a bit strange for now is the performance of the rockets I made.

I've followed the RP-0 first tutorial and my rocket only go up to 20km (in the tutorial it is stated that it can climb up to 100 with the WAC.

I'm wondering if it's a miss in my sigma dimension settings or if the performances of the aerobee have been nerfed.

Anyway Thank you for your explanation it is clear now. And for the DSN, i've taken a config file in the 10x Kerbol System mod that put a DSN on kerbin. So yes I got one ;-)

Marsu

@Marsu69 Can't say I'm sure. By looking at the config files in RP-0, it looks like it assumes the RSS, given the science parameters. I don't know how it reacts to stockSS @NathanKell?

About the tutorial, you mean the first rocket here? In that case, I doubt it would reach 100Km, but definitely should take you to higher atmosphere, above 50Km. How did you make the fins? One thing to take into account is their structural strength (Mass/strength os something such), keep it at 0.25. Also, if you are using TestFlight, your engine may have failed, and then it shuts down early. A second launch might be more successful. One last thing to take into account is how much your rocket turned. Because of some bugs the orientation of the rocket may change in the launch pad. Use 2 (or even 3) clamps instead of one, to keep it stable. And try launching vertically instead of giving it some initial pitch.

@leudaimon

Yep that was this tutorial. Even with a 2 stage rocket (one tiny tim plus a procedural tank and an aerobee) the max altitude was 39km going straight up.

The fins were made with b9. A very small rotation on the fins to get spin stabilisation.

The strenght was left to 0.25 and no failures recorded on test flight.

There must be a problem with the rescaled atmosphere from sigma. I will investigate this way.

@Marsu69 as @leudaimon says, the contracts and science modifiers are based on RSS, so you will not get lunar flybys or any planetary contracts, and the science of other bodies will not be correctly tuned. It would not be too difficult to convert RP-0 for use in 10x Kerbol, but someone would have to explicitly do that.

The issue with the sounding rockets is a FAR bug that should be fixed soon; it is improperly adding the base mass of the wings on top of their calculated mass. You can replace your local RO's copy of this file with this updated one to work around it until the next FAR release. https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/raw/e7e8b60e8dfc78c56727086ab60910e2931a3f16/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/B9_ProceduralParts/B9_Wings.cfg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.