Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

I built an R-7 copy in RO/RP-0, simple enough, but the x-ray probe on the inside of the fairing overheats to explosion early on during ascent.  Starting TWR ~2.2, 2 minute booster burn, 5m30s core engine burn.  The only thing I can think of is that I am accelerating too quickly in the lower atmosphere and the fairings (procedural, from B9 I guess, also tried stock airstreams) aren't doing their job of protecting the payload.  Is this a known issue?  Should I re-install something, or everything?  The X-ray probe isn't the only part that has overheated on ascent like this but the others were the exposed noses of sounding rockets made from proc tanks.

32 minutes ago, Herrkurt said:

I built an R-7 copy in RO/RP-0, simple enough, but the x-ray probe on the inside of the fairing overheats to explosion early on during ascent.  Starting TWR ~2.2, 2 minute booster burn, 5m30s core engine burn. 

Your TWR is way too high. Shoot for 1.2 - 1.3.

Yes it does seem high but this what I get when I build a R-7 launcher and put a sputnik mass satellite on it.  Also it had worked in other builds.  Am I building my R-7 wrong?  How can I loss TWR and still have the appropriate burn times and DV for the R-7?  I'm gonna get raidernick's and compare.

Thanks I'll try that out.  RN's Sputnik craft, being based off of radically different parts, doesn't make a good comparison to the RO RD-107 & 108 based R-7 I have.  Interestingly it does have lower twr at 1.8 (1.5 SLT) and ~500 more DV.  The burntime is actually shorter than what I have found in looking up the R-7 sputnik.

Edited by Herrkurt

@Herrkurt Good to know! About launching TWR, what I've seen from most tutorials and discussions is that you should aim for a SLT of 1.2-1.7, the sweet spot is 1.5. Lower and you waste fuel from gravity loss, higher you waste from aerodynamic pressures. Fast kicks from SRBs can change this balance, making higher TWRs worthwhile.

Oh I know it is overpowered (SLT 1.77), but that is just with a sputnik like payload, no second stage.  The extra TWR will be useful for every other design with more stages and heavier payloads.  Luna, Vostok, Vokshod, Soyuz.

Edited by Herrkurt

On 18.5.2016 at 11:24 PM, leudaimon said:

@Herrkurt Good to know! About launching TWR, what I've seen from most tutorials and discussions is that you should aim for a SLT of 1.2-1.7, the sweet spot is 1.5. Lower and you waste fuel from gravity loss, higher you waste from aerodynamic pressures. Fast kicks from SRBs can change this balance, making higher TWRs worthwhile.

Aerodynamic drag isn't really a concern in RO.

What is this about?

Edit:

The log is still spammed with these, using RO 11.0.1 which includes patches for the VW-10K from NF Propulsion.

I can't play with that, the CPU at 32%, the GPU at 7% (!!) but 6 fps ...

Edited by Gordon Dry

57 minutes ago, leudaimon said:

What do you mean?

Drag on rockets is so low a high T/W ratio isn't much of a concern. In RO your rocket melting is more dangerous than drag.

You are still incentivised to go for low T/Ws, however, because increasing tank capacity is much cheaper than equipping stronger engines.

I'm assuming this is the right place to report issues.

I'm having serious crashing issues with RO while in the VAB/SPH. I'm running 64 bit KSP with all of the suggested RO mods and some of the recommended ones- randomly at times, while I'm building a craft, the game will freeze and I'll get a pop-up stating, "KSP_x64.exe has stopped working." This isn't reproducible nor does it happen in certain circumstances, it crashed when I had 2 parts on screen, and another when I had about 50. This is making the game semi-unplayable, and I'd like to know if it's fixable or I need to wait a bit. Thanks.

On 5/21/2016 at 2:26 PM, Nommykins said:

I'm having serious crashing issues with RO while in the VAB/SPH. I'm running 64 bit KSP with all of the suggested RO mods and some of the recommended ones- randomly at times, while I'm building a craft, the game will freeze and I'll get a pop-up stating, "KSP_x64.exe has stopped working." This isn't reproducible nor does it happen in certain circumstances, it crashed when I had 2 parts on screen, and another when I had about 50. This is making the game semi-unplayable, and I'd like to know if it's fixable or I need to wait a bit. Thanks.

Are you positive this is caused by RO? Many, many people are reporting frequent crashing (particularly in the VAB) even with a completely unmodded game. It's theorized to be a Unity bug but nobody's pinned down the exact cause yet AFAIK.

Edited by the_Demongod

On 5/21/2016 at 5:26 PM, Nommykins said:

First thing to do is make sure you have enough memory. The biggest cause of my getting exactly the symptom you describe is running out. I have 8 GB. Depending on number of optional mods installed and on whether I have a web browser up, that sometimes just isn't enough. 

Can somebody help me with this? I have a lunar flyby and lunar impact contract that both expire in a year, and if i complete them i get big bucks. But i'm struggling to build a rocket that has enough delta-v to get to the moon, and not only that, but a high enough thrust to weight ratio to actually circularize its orbit before it falls down. I have went through 5 different designs already and ran countless simulations and I cannot seem to get any of them to work. The first stage is 3 LR-87 engines and 10 Procedural SRB's with a 10 meter length and 60 second burn time, the SRB's decouple as it hits Mach 1. Then the first stage ignites the other 2 LR-87s that are kept unlit until the SRB's decouple to prevent it from over accelerating. But then by the time the first stage burns out I have only 1500 meters per second velocity and ALOT of altitude, too much altitude. Then I use my second stage to accelerate me past 3500 m/s and raise my apoapsis to 500km or greater. After the second stage is gone I have a procedural SRB with about 900 M/s of velocity and it is supposed to give me a quick boost in velocity to help me circularize. I fire that at Apoapsis. I then fire my AJ-10 which has a fair bit of Delta-V, but has an abysmal TWR, and its not even propelling that large of a payload at that point. I fire it for a good 5 minutes until I enter the atmosphere and I barely make a dent in my orbit and hit about 7000 M/s. Then I burn up in the atmosphere. Can someone give me some basic guidelines of how large my rocket should be, how much delta-v I should have, what kind of engines should I use, how large should my stages be and how many stages should I have, my TWR on each of those stages, and what my launch profile should be? Here is a photo of the rocket. The gamma-2 is something I just added and that I didn't test yet and I dont have time to test it now, but my guess is that it still wont work. http://imgur.com/DQyhxPo

5 hours ago, Combatsmithen said:

Can somebody help me with this? I have a lunar flyby and lunar impact contract that both expire in a year, and if i complete them i get big bucks. But i'm struggling to build a rocket that has enough delta-v to get to the moon, and not only that, but a high enough thrust to weight ratio to actually circularize its orbit before it falls down. I have went through 5 different designs already and ran countless simulations and I cannot seem to get any of them to work. The first stage is 3 LR-87 engines and 10 Procedural SRB's with a 10 meter length and 60 second burn time, the SRB's decouple as it hits Mach 1. Then the first stage ignites the other 2 LR-87s that are kept unlit until the SRB's decouple to prevent it from over accelerating. But then by the time the first stage burns out I have only 1500 meters per second velocity and ALOT of altitude, too much altitude. Then I use my second stage to accelerate me past 3500 m/s and raise my apoapsis to 500km or greater. After the second stage is gone I have a procedural SRB with about 900 M/s of velocity and it is supposed to give me a quick boost in velocity to help me circularize. I fire that at Apoapsis. I then fire my AJ-10 which has a fair bit of Delta-V, but has an abysmal TWR, and its not even propelling that large of a payload at that point. I fire it for a good 5 minutes until I enter the atmosphere and I barely make a dent in my orbit and hit about 7000 M/s. Then I burn up in the atmosphere. Can someone give me some basic guidelines of how large my rocket should be, how much delta-v I should have, what kind of engines should I use, how large should my stages be and how many stages should I have, my TWR on each of those stages, and what my launch profile should be? Here is a photo of the rocket. The gamma-2 is something I just added and that I didn't test yet and I dont have time to test it now, but my guess is that it still wont work. http://imgur.com/DQyhxPo

Have you gone through this guide: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/Ferram%27s-Launch-Vehicle-Tutorial?

5 hours ago, rsparkyc said:

Yes I read through the whole thing, but I started my rocket from the ground up again. And I finally got one capable of at least getting an intercept with the moon. provided the right conditions.

Edited by Combatsmithen

Hi all,

After some excellent bugfixing help I am finally ready to leave earth's atmosphere and start doing some interplanetary missions. I know the basics due to stock KSP, but I haven't had to deal with inclination changes before since you start from the equator and all planets pretty much lie in the same plane.

So assuming I already know enough about transfer windows and Hohmann transfer orbits, how do I get to Mars? The main difficulty for me are the inclination changes. (When) Do I change inclination, and how do I do my injection burn in the right direction? Basically, how do I move from stock KSP interplanetary transfers to RSS ones?

6 minutes ago, android65 said:

Hi all,

After some excellent bugfixing help I am finally ready to leave earth's atmosphere and start doing some interplanetary missions. I know the basics due to stock KSP, but I haven't had to deal with inclination changes before since you start from the equator and all planets pretty much lie in the same plane.

So assuming I already know enough about transfer windows and Hohmann transfer orbits, how do I get to Mars? The main difficulty for me are the inclination changes. (When) Do I change inclination, and how do I do my injection burn in the right direction? Basically, how do I move from stock KSP interplanetary transfers to RSS ones?

Looks like you're looking for this thread: 

11 hours ago, rsparkyc said:

Awesome!  Here's hoping you leave some big craters on the moon!

The margins are very very tight though. and the rocket is pretty expensive, 20k per launch, and takes a year to build with a VAB at .95 build speed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.