Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

I used MechJeb for a lot in RSS/RO. In particular to perform the sometimes vey long maneuver nodes. Now that Sarbian has parted with us I don't see a 1.2+ version of MJ coming up for sometime. ( HAS he left? Quit working for Squad means quit the community as well? Hm ) Someone else may pick it up hopefully, but in the meantime. What can I do for some basic automization? I'm still on 1.1.3 so its not quite an issue just yet and afaik there IS a working version for the 1.2 pre-release. So I guess my concerns are over versions beyond 1.2.

Edited by Motokid600

2 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

I used MechJeb for a lot in RSS/RO. In particular to perform the sometimes vey long maneuver nodes. Now that Sarbian has parted with us I don't see a 1.2+ version of MJ coming up for sometime. ( HAS he left? Quit working for Squad means quit the community as well? Hm ) Someone else may pick it up hopefully, but in the meantime. What can I do for some basic automization? I'm still on 1.1.3 so its not quite an issue just yet and afaik there IS a working version for the 1.2 pre-release. So I guess my concerns are over versions beyond 1.2.

There are forum policies against pestering a mod writer about when a mod gets updated.  Complex mods always take time to get updated after a KSP release.  I suggest you just follow @sarbian's MechJeb thread (closed last month on his request, likely due to being him being pestered yet again back in September) and just check his Jenkins page for MJ development releases.  He did put out a Module Manager update for KSP 1.2 (and thank you for that, @sarbian).

10 hours ago, Jacke said:

There are forum policies against pestering a mod writer about when a mod gets updated.  Complex mods always take time to get updated after a KSP release.  I suggest you just follow @sarbian's MechJeb thread (closed last month on his request, likely due to being him being pestered yet again back in September) and just check his Jenkins page for MJ development releases.  He did put out a Module Manager update for KSP 1.2 (and thank you for that, @sarbian).

Sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not asking for an update with MJ. But instead I'm asking for advice on alternative forms of automization for when the day potentially comes when MJ is no more. Something not as complex as KoS perhaps?

3 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not asking for an update with MJ. But instead I'm asking for advice on alternative forms of automization for when the day potentially comes when MJ is no more. Something not as complex as KoS perhaps?

This is getting away from Realism Overhaul.

However, not knowing any of the details of what happened, I still think there's hope that @sarbian will update MechJeb, especially as he updated Module Manager.  I for one would find KSP to be almost unplayable without many of the tools and the configurable windows of MJ.

In the unfortunately case that MJ isn't updated, there are other engineer mods (KER, VOID) for info display.  For autocontrol, there are mods like Pilot Assistant, but it's more an aircraft autopilot.  You'd have to search the mod subforums for anything else.

On 10/7/2016 at 11:50 AM, Jacke said:

In the unfortunately case that MJ isn't updated, there are other engineer mods (KER, VOID) for info display.  For autocontrol, there are mods like Pilot Assistant, but it's more an aircraft autopilot.  You'd have to search the mod subforums for anything else.

There's also kOS and KRPC (Kerbal Remote Procedure Call) for writing your own autopilots, if it comes to that.

Has anyone figured out how to change the timezone of the KSP clock? I have a primary launch site somewhere other than Cape Canaveral, and watching morning be consistently be around 1400 is mildly annoying.

33 minutes ago, Jovus said:

Has anyone figured out how to change the timezone of the KSP clock? I have a primary launch site somewhere other than Cape Canaveral, and watching morning be consistently be around 1400 is mildly annoying.

Time zone as such is difficult to adapt as KSP/RSS uses universal time and so UTC applies to all regions. What a mod could establish is defining the timezones in a config file based on coordinates and then overwrite the KSP clock to show the correct UTC+/- X hours. 

But iirc at the moment UTC is paired with the Cape's local time which is completely off, yes. This might be because KSP needs a set location to start the save with. 

Hi,

I would appreciate your help (once again :) ). Do you know about a mod that adds a two-crew capsule, that works with RP-0? Ideally something Gemini-like, I reached the point where I fly crewed LEO missions, and I would like to send two astronauts instead of one (and the three-kerb-pod is still quite far down the tech tree).

I run the 1.1.3 RO install.

Thanks,

Michal.don

On 14/10/2016 at 9:48 AM, michal.don said:

Hi,

I would appreciate your help (once again :) ). Do you know about a mod that adds a two-crew capsule, that works with RP-0? Ideally something Gemini-like, I reached the point where I fly crewed LEO missions, and I would like to send two astronauts instead of one (and the three-kerb-pod is still quite far down the tech tree).

I run the 1.1.3 RO install.

Thanks,

Michal.don

Tantares should have 2 seater Gemini and Soyuz capsules. Other than that, FASA has a Gemini capsule, but I'm not sure how much of FASA is currently working. Both are supported in RP-0.

2 hours ago, a_schack said:

Tantares should have 2 seater Gemini and Soyuz capsules. Other than that, FASA has a Gemini capsule, but I'm not sure how much of FASA is currently working. Both are supported in RP-0.

Tantares has a 2-seat Soyuz capsule, but unfortunately, it's in the same tech tree node as the 3-seat Apollo capsule. And the last version of FASA is for 1.0.5, and will probably upgrade straight to 1.2, or so I heard. So no luck for me, until 1.2 :)

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

Tantares has a 2-seat Soyuz capsule, but unfortunately, it's in the same tech tree node as the 3-seat Apollo capsule. And the last version of FASA is for 1.0.5, and will probably upgrade straight to 1.2, or so I heard. So no luck for me, until 1.2 :)

I don't have the game in front of me, but checking the cfgs and tech tree on github, I'm very certain that Tantares has a Gemini capsule (there is at least an MM patch for it in RO), and it's placed in 2nd generation capsules, as opposed to 3rd generation capsules for the Apollo. Mercury would be first generation.

Edit: The partname for the Tantares Gemini capsule is Spica_Crew_A.

Edited by a_schack
Clarify part

Edit: The partname for the Tantares Gemini capsule is Spica_Crew_A.

Strange, my Tantares folder doesn't have anything named like this. And there is no Gemini pod in the 2nd generation tree node either. It could be an issue in my install, I might try to reinstall the mod. 

Thanks,

Michal.don

Strange, my Tantares folder doesn't have anything named like this. And there is no Gemini pod in the 2nd generation tree node either. It could be an issue in my install, I might try to reinstall the mod. 

Thanks,

Michal.don

Perhaps you only have TantaresLV and lack the pack with the pods etc?

Edit: Finally got to my PC. You're absolutely right, it's not part of Tantares. But for some reason, there's an MM patch for it in RO. It might've been in the past.

From what I can see in https://github.com/KSP-RO/FASA-RO/releases, there's some hope if all you want is the capsule.

Edited by a_schack

Thank you very much, a-schack. Do I understand it correctly that I create a FASA folder in the GameData, and insert just the pod files?

Michal.don

I'm honestly not certain. Looking at the file structure, it seems it's modular, so you should be able to get away with just FASA\Gemini2\FASA_Gemini_Pod2.

'm honestly not certain. Looking at the file structure, it seems it's modular, so you should be able to get away with just FASA\Gemini2\FASA_Gemini_Pod2

It looks it did the job, thank you very much! No more lonely Kerbals in LEO :)

Michal.don

• 2 weeks later...
On 28.09.2016 at 0:42 PM, leudaimon said:

Actually, is most cases using an utilization of 100% is cheating. The meaning of utilization is the percentage of the tank volume occupied by propellant. With the exception of spherical balloon tanks of RCS, most tanks have a much lower utilization. As can be seen in any schematics of a real tank, there are two separate spheroid tanks inside a cylindrical tank. Thus, it is not possible to achieve 100% utilization. That's why the slider is at 86%. I really a resource for rules of thumb for tank utilization, but didn't find any around. What I usually do is get near to 100% in RCS tanks, and a little above 90% in big cylindrical tanks, a bit higher if they are of type balloon. For the small ones I keep the default 86%.

If so, then the utilization slider should be disabled, and utilization percentage should be assigned per tank by some config file inside RO/RP-0. Otherwise, it's like having "thermal efficiency" slider on an engine.

Edited by Sol Invictus

2 hours ago, Sol Invictus said:

If so, then the utilization slider should be disabled

No because the point of the slider is to customize the procedural tanks to whatever the user wants. If you want to "cheat" and use a 100% utilization on them then go for it, nobody will punish you for doing so. Normal tanks (like the stock ones) are set to a specific tank utilization, depending on the RF configs.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a slightest idea when @NathanKell is going to return? The more he's gone, the more I appreciate how much he had given us, and how pivotal his role in the community is. He's probably the only person in the known universe who can almost single-handedly turn KSP from a kiddie game* into the most amazing rocket science simulator under the Sol.

*after I stepped into the light of Realism Overhaul, stock KSP seems almost insulting to my intelligence with it's absurdly small celestial bodies, half-baked aerodynamics etc.

Do Realism Overhaul add density to fuel tanks or make engines a better performance? 

I have using RO before but hasn't notice anything until i decided to use Kerbol 64K and it's really really hard to achieve a proper orbit (i can achieve orbit quite good, but it just can't bring reasonable amount of payload to orbit) with stock ksp configuration (not stock parts). For example i recreated a 75% size Delta IV Medium that would barely bring two - three ton of payload to orbit ;.;. So if anyone can help. Thanks 

Sorry if my questionis a bit weird :blush:

@AlphaKerman RO completely modifies the stats of the parts (size, inert mass, propellant factors, engine Isp and more). In your case, stock tanks both have a really bad propellant fraction and inert mass values and the average engine Isp is low.

For stock rescales (especially for the upper tier like 64K) installing SMURF or ROMini is a must.

Edited by Phineas Freak

8 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@AlphaKerman RO completely modifies the stats of the parts (size, inert mass, propellant factors, engine Isp and more). In your case, stock tanks both have a really bad propellant fraction and inert mass values and the average engine Isp is low.

For stock rescales (especially for the upper tier like 64K) installing SMURF or ROMini is a must.

Oh I see. I have (kind of) bad habit to make a library of real world rockets on ksp and that makes me kinda never get outside low kerbin orbit :D (to me it's feel so satisfying when scratch build real world rockets on ksp). And thanks for that before ^_^.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.