Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

OMG... that's even better. Thankfully modding original RSS was not trouble at all so I did not lost a lot of time with it, but if I only knew about this mod earlier it would save me... I don't know, about 20 minutes of work :wink: Thanks for the info, but for now I think I'll stick with my own modifcations and see how they'll look.  

@aquilaspqr https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/First-RO-Rocket

Best is to read all guides , they helped me alot even with 10x kerbin and SMURFF cause basics are the same as RO

Long story short make small payload , small fuel tank and engine, then make that stage 5000 delta V and TWR ~1 - 1.2 not more . Then make lower stage that has 5000 delta V and TWR 1.2 . That is all. You need a bit less delta V in both stages and less TWR in upper stage but 1.2 TWR in lower and upper stage + 5000 delta V in each is good start to learn proper launch .

You don't need power , all you need is making rocket as simple as posible . Less parts, less weight, less drag and everything run much better faster and higher

Edited by Karamon

@aquilaspqr 

ok, but the effort you are making for yourself in attempting to tweak the game to use KSP stock stuff is much harder than the effort needed to simply learn to use the realistic stuff provided by RSS/RO. But good luck to you in your version of the game, it's all good.

Edited by Parallax59

Hi, I had a question about the SSTULabs mod in Realism Overhaul.

I can't seem to use the so-called 'modular' SRBs from this mod. The boosters don't ignite, their thrust is listed a zero, and their burn time as 'infinity'. The Real Fuels 'Show GUI' button for the engine doesn't do anything, but I can enter an interface to adjust thrust curves. This also doesn't appear to do anything, however. The non-procedural SRBs included in the mod work fine, so is it something I'm doing wrong, or do the SSTU procedural SRBs just not work with RO/Real Fuels?

Thanks very much for reading :) 

On 1/6/2017 at 8:09 PM, MaxL_1023 said:

Hey - is there a way to remove boiloff for cryogenic tanks using config files? I tried using heat radiators and they didn't seem to do anything. 

You might need better insulated tanks and/or bigger radiators. I haven't had good luck cooling cryofuels with rads, but others have.

https://github.com/NathanKell/ModularFuelSystem/blob/master/RealFuels/Resources/RealTankTypes.cfg#L39

If you find your local version of this file, each tank type (Default, Cryogenic, etc) has specs for the fuels it can contain, including the temperature at which it boils. Modify the values for the fuels you don't want to boil in the section for the tank type you intend to use. Set it to above whatever temperature your craft seems to sit at. Making fuels only boil above room temperature would probably do the trick :)

On 1/6/2017 at 10:09 PM, MaxL_1023 said:

Hey - is there a way to remove boiloff for cryogenic tanks using config files? I tried using heat radiators and they didn't seem to do anything. 

@MaxL_1023 - I have been working with cryo engines/fuels and found a few things about them.

First is that the boiloff rate is proportional to tank's surface/volume ratio - so basically it's better to have all your cryo fuel in one big cryo tank rather than in several smaller separated tanks that increase the tank's surface.

Second is that I believe @Nerteahas a cool (heh) mod in which he supplies cryo tanks with active cooling - these use up a bit of EC but keep your Hydrogen from boiling off. [EDIT]: aforementioned not correct, boiloff still occurring with these tanks as well.

Edited by hypervelocity
Correction

On 1/8/2017 at 0:32 AM, mark7 said:

……So,any news about the missing page? 

On 1/8/2017 at 6:48 AM, Alex38 said:

Hi everyone, just wondering what happened to the Realism overhaul thread and lots of other threads ? any infos ? 

You can monitor progress at the below thread:

On 1/5/2017 at 0:42 PM, rsparkyc said:

I wish. 

54 minutes ago, rsparkyc said:

Just found this: 

Is this something we might want to add into RO?

Edit: I am slow, looks like @NathanKell was already talking to him about having this part of RSS

I know this is out of place Ryan but I have a new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iJub94MVQ8 

On 1/8/2017 at 1:48 PM, Alex38 said:

Hi everyone, just wondering what happened to the Realism overhaul thread and lots of other threads ? any infos ? 

No pressure but I'm waiting to explore Phobos via Kos only..:cool:

We want to mine it, before it wastes itself on Mars.. maybe by reducing it's mass we can save it :wink:

U9fmgnU.jpg

5 hours ago, tychochallenge said:

Not sure if this was answered before but does the current RO work with KSP 1.2.2?

My guess is that it isn't since quite a few fuel tanks (including some stock ones) somehow arn't working properly but hopefully thats just me.

Does the CURRENT version work? No. That was compiled against 1.1.3. However, it's possible to recompile it against the 1.2.2 binaries with a few minor changes.  I've done that, and created a spreadsheet tracking what works and what doesn't (at least for me) here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19_dhwSioZODCCtMFD0kZOtbmbg--ryoE0nzoWJL2cRc/edit#gid=0

Feel free to checkout the github page, there's a github issue related directly to 1.2 compatibility here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/issues/1436

Oh, and a reddit discussion here: https://www.reddit.com/r/RealSolarSystem/comments/5o54f0/is_ro_finally_out/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.