Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

1 hour ago, Sol Invictus said:

By "stuck" you mean that you can't change the filter category? Do you have Filter Extensions 2.8.1.2 installed?

Nah. I'm talking about the stock categories. I don't mean the filter categories and I thought that mod might me causing the trouble so I uninstalled it. So no I no longer have it installed.

Fire

1 hour ago, SpartanJack17 said:

Just copy your ksp folder.  It'll work perfectly no matter how many copies you have, even if you own it on steam.

Did it but if you read my post above, you will see that I am experiencing a problem  and I don't know what mod is causing it. I go to fuel tanks but remain on command pods. Try to go to engines or electricity but I remain on command pods for some reason. Do you know which mod is causing this?

Fire

@Firemetal Since we are in a beta testing cycle, i would suggest to:

• Install only the required mods that are updated for KSP 1.2 at first.
  • Start adding the rest one at a time if possible. Make sure that the mods you are adding are known to be compatible or working.
  • Avoid mods that are not required for now. You can install them later.

14 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Nah. I'm talking about the stock categories. I don't mean the filter categories and I thought that mod might me causing the trouble so I uninstalled it. So no I no longer have it installed.

I don't think it's any particular mods fault, it's more likely for me that you messed something up during installation, as all of the mods on the spreadsheet work fine if installed/compiled correctly. I would suggest to do a fresh install, carefully with only the required set of mods, as Phineas Freak said. By the way, those are called filter categories no matter if you're using Filter Extensions mod or not. Uninstalling Filter Extensions may currently break your game, as you may be unable to access antennas using stock filter categories alone.

Edited by Sol Invictus

I've got a bit of a problem with my install of the 1.1.2 beta, namely that the RO configs for the Kartoffelkuchen Launchers Pack Atlas V aren't working.  I have the .craft files and the subassemblies that come with RO, and I can see the configs in my RealismOverhaul\RO_SuggestedMods\KK Launchers folder, but when I load up one of the .craft files or try to use one of the subassemblies the parts are all listed as non RO, and all have stock resources.  I tried making a second install with just the required RO mods and the Launcher Pack, and the problem persisted.  If anyone has any idea what could be going on that'd be great.

I need some advice for Venus entrys. I tried one with a 90km periapse, a pretty light craft and a 2m lunar heat shield. It just burned up instantly.

So I have some questions:

1. Is a Venus entry possible with a lunar rated heat shield? And if not with what is it possible?

2. Do I need to go in more gradually, maybe with multiple aerobraking passes?

3. Will a Kevlar-Parachute survive?

4. Someone told me that the reentry corridor is 90-105 km periapse. What's you opinion on that?

Thanks a lot for any help!

On 20.02.2017 at 3:45 AM, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

What engines haven't been modeled realistically for RO yet? I've almost finished my NK-33 and I'm thinking about what to do next. I know there are no realistic NERVA models, but is there anything else?

RD-701 proposed for MAKS but I think NERVA engines are more important.

On 20.2.2017 at 2:46 PM, Warp11 said:

I need some advice for Venus entrys. I tried one with a 90km periapse, a pretty light craft and a 2m lunar heat shield. It just burned up instantly.

So I have some questions:

1. Is a Venus entry possible with a lunar rated heat shield? And if not with what is it possible?

2. Do I need to go in more gradually, maybe with multiple aerobraking passes?

3. Will a Kevlar-Parachute survive?

4. Someone told me that the reentry corridor is 90-105 km periapse. What's you opinion on that?

Thanks a lot for any help!

1. As far as I remember, I too did my Venus landing with a lunar rated heat shield.

2. I took a deep dive with a periapis of around 60 km while beeing on a flyby trajectory. The heat shield survived.

3. Yes. Due to the air friction you only will need a small one.

4. My above mentioned reentry too steep and some of the instruments got destroyed due to the high g-forces. I wold try it with something  around 80 to 90 km. If you are in a orbit, you can tip into the atmosphere very gently, since you don't miss anything, if you have to do several passes to get suorbital.

@winged Depending on the mod that adds the PF sides, you can find their RO configs under the path:

RealismOverhaul/RO_RecommendedMods/Procedurals

Do note that PF sides never really worked as heat shields (problems with the way that the colliders are created and streched). You may have problems properly shielding the payloads. But, on the other hand, Mars reentry is not so harsh so you may get away with it.

I've gotten started on modelling that NERVA, but I need some help. What version of the NERVA should I make?

There appear to be three versions I can find.

Spoiler

NERVA flight model:

NERVAenginemockup-660x971.jpg

This seems to be the only one with pictures of it.

NERVA I (1972 baseline):

NERVA-I_Envelope.gif

TbZiV0P.png

This one has actual dimensions, however it has far less detailed images. This is what's currently represented in RO.

EDIT: Looks like it's a down to this one and the flight model.

NERVA II (1968 baseline)

NERVA-II_Envelope.gif

NERVA_II_Diagram_1968.gif

A earlier version of the NERVA I.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.