Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

A question, Im trying for couple of days to start RO+RP-0 thats wip. My issue is I get modules in tech tree wrongly all over the place, with and without Community tech tree, and all parts that show are marked as non-RO parts, actually when thinking most of parts showing are stock ones and no 1.1.3 starting engines showing hmm.   So is RO tech tree modules positions still not done and Im wasting lots of time to make it work or Im getting some unsuspecting mod messing things up?   For now I figured Amp Year messed modules the most.

6 hours ago, Hrv123 said:

A question, Im trying for couple of days to start RO+RP-0 thats wip. My issue is I get modules in tech tree wrongly all over the place, with and without Community tech tree, and all parts that show are marked as non-RO parts

Went through installing 1.2.2 Dev version and almost all the spreadsheet marked items, seeing the same result. Everything is marked non-RP0 and seems like its missing items.

Also found intolerable lag even with basic rockets. Not sure which mod it is but none of the "Other" page visual enhancement mods are installed.  a 28 part tier 1 orbital rocket was giving me lag worse than my 250 part ships in RSS non-RO install i just finished career in.  If i had to guess its realplume... 

50 minutes ago, Bornholio said:

Everything is marked non-RP0 and seems like its missing items.

You need a tree.cfg file from a previous release of RP-0 (just paste into the RP-0 folder), or to compile it from the source tree.yml. This file is essential for RP-0 and is produced only on release.

On 17.03.2017 at 4:36 AM, leudaimon said:

You need a tree.cfg file from a previous release of RP-0 (just paste into the RP-0 folder), or to compile it from the source tree.yml. This file is essential for RP-0 and is produced only on release.

Don't use tree.cfg from a previous release. It's really simple to generate an updated tree.cfg from master - just install Strawberry Perl and then run command "perl bin/yml2mm" from within RP-0-master folder using Windows command line.

Edited by Sol Invictus

4 hours ago, Sol Invictus said:

Don't use tree.cfg from a previous release. It's really simple to generate an updated tree.cfg from master - just install Strawberry Perl and then run command "perl bin/yml2mm" from within RP-0-master folder using Windows command line.

/WallofGripe -start

This single issue is probably the reason why half or more people who try to get it running just give up and walk away.  It is already a significant effort to get installed.  A understand its in dev but if you want an extended group of people to enjoy the mod and test it needs these things pre-compiled.  Many windows users have never used the command line never mind a programming utility.  But one user could if they are so inclined upload a pre-compiled version into the Git and any less savy tester from that time on would not walk away in frustration.  I know that I've walked away three times after having multi-hour installation effort result in non-functional result.  These forums are not well designed and it takes a large amount of reading to even get to understand what it really takes and between broken links to old pages and cycling of people in and out ease of use helps everyone. And one of a hundred or so will be the next guy adding effort.

/WallofGripe -end

Anyway, I resolved my horrific lag with installing newer real plume and dependencies via ckan after 2 iterations of hand manipulation and about 6 hours of troubleshooting. KSP RO Debugging (AKA: The Golden Spreadsheet)  Lists using RealplumeStockConfigs11.2 vs the 11.4 version for 1.2.2 on CKAN and smokescreen 2.7.1 vs the 2.7.4 so I'm not sure what I'm breaking but at least a rocket launches and has reasonable FPS

@Bornholio
I could just upload it here, but it would become obsolete in the day or two as RP-0 master gets updated. Considering how simple it is to generate it by yourself, it makes much more sense for me to just tell you how to do it.

By the way, I highly doubt whether someone who didn't even once use command line in their life could be of any use for developers when it comes to testing. For such person I would just advice to wait for a stable release, or return to KSP 1.1.3.

Edited by Sol Invictus
lexical correction

Im hoping to save a working copy of 1.2.2 on my harddrive before 1.2.9 comes out.

The only mod missing as of now to make that copy perfect is Realism Overhaul.

Any hopes it will be out before 1.2.9 is released, or is the update to be released directly for 1.2.9?

On 3/21/2017 at 1:11 PM, JeeF said:

Any hopes it will be out before 1.2.9 is released, or is the update to be released directly for 1.2.9?

There's a prerelease out, and you can also download the latest master branch.

@Bornholio sorry getting a working RO/RP-0 install makes you want to rant, it is a lot of work to get a copy up and running until there's an official release out.  I do have to agree with @Sol Invictus though, if one hasn't used a command line, it means that they probably haven't done much work to try to figure out why they may be experiencing whatever problem they have, which leads to a bunch of erroneous bug reports, which both slows down the release cycle as they're investigated, and also clutters up legitimate issues with non-legitimate issues.  TLDR: The fact that there's a barrier to entry to get an up-to-date copy running means that the comments by those who do have a running copy are more meaningful.

Also, I noticed you found some issues with the spreadsheet.  I've updated those, and actually removed the reference to RealPlume-stock configs, and replaced it with just the normal realplume.  I've also updated SmokeScreen.  Any time you find issues in the spreadsheet, feel free to leave a comment there, as that's the quickest way I can find them and keep it up to date.   

It is a bit dismissive of a large number of people to assume that a knowledge of command line (however simple it is, I've been using it since '89.) You're right those people may be less likely to be helpful in testing.

That said, good change on the notes in the golden spreadsheet.  Was it okay for me to make anon update notes in it?

17 hours ago, Bornholio said:

Was it okay for me to make anon update notes in it?

Yep, that's the best way to notify me that it's out to date. When everything is out on CKAN, I'll probably switch it over for supporting the next version of KSP

I did a run to the moon and failed...thought I'd summarize failures that did not involve me or things I'd like to point out involving parts.  I'll scrub and re-install tonight and try again to make sure I didn't cause them. ( reversed the biological sample/photography bay comments),

di3pA4v.png

I'm also dumping a daily report into the

Edited by Bornholio
note

Hey guys,

I've done some research and read multiple pages on both RO and RP-0 threads, and yet I can't find a definitive answer to whether or not SSTU is fully compatible with RO and RP-0 career. I find SSTU one of the best mods to ever come out for KSP. I've always played RP-0 up to a certain point in the career where my ships would start going beyond 200 parts and then I'd just be obligated to stop due to horrible FPS during launch and specially inside the VAB. Thanks to SSTU that's finally gone. While it does take away a bit from the joy of fitting each individual part as you'd like it to be, it completely gets rid of the low fps problems, at least for me. I've been able to make a full Saturn V trip to the moon and back with all the same parts (mostly) as the real thing, with as few as 50 parts. My most ambitious creations never have gone over 80 parts, and if I tried building the same vehicle without SSTU it would be well over 300 parts and be a royal pain to build and launch.

I've read some parts are ok, others are listed as non-RP-0, others (SRB) don't even work. I haven't tried myself, I'm slowly putting together a RSS+RO build for 1.2.2. So, what is the verdict? And what is the general consensus from RO crew about SSTU and perhaps making it a "recommended" mod?

5 hours ago, JeeF said:

I've read some parts are ok, others are listed as non-RP-0, others (SRB) don't even work. I haven't tried myself, I'm slowly putting together a RSS+RO build for 1.2.2. So, what is the verdict?

Load it up yourself and look at the parts to see if they are supported.

5 hours ago, JeeF said:

And what is the general consensus from RO crew about SSTU and perhaps making it a "recommended" mod?

That's never going to happen. Part mods are never going to be added to recommended list.

Edited by raidernick

On 3/31/2017 at 9:15 AM, JeeF said:

Hey guys,

I've done some research and read multiple pages on both RO and RP-0 threads, and yet I can't find a definitive answer to whether or not SSTU is fully compatible with RO and RP-0 career.

"FAR - Currently incompatible, but awaiting a fix that should restore compatibility. "    Until that is resolved, I'd imagine that its not compatible since FAR is a core RO mod.

" RO/RSS - Should be mostly functional through the patches that are included in RO.  Not all things are working.  I do not offer support for RO, so please direct any RO questions to the Realism Overhaul thread. "

NOT I!  said the pig. (sorry if that is obtuse, Little red hen If you have never heard this children's story.)

How do I launch a plane wihout it skidding around and eventually crashing? I built a near replica of the x-1 to try to brake the sound barrier in rp-0, tested it out in sandbox mode, and it just slid around, and I had no control whatsoever. I used small landing gear and the front one said "gear blocked". Even when I replaced it with a tiny steerable one and moved it so it was visablly not touching any part, it still said this. What should I do? ... Thanks!

@spacegenius

Skidding is usually caused by gear not in alignment.  Can you place a picture of it.  What is blocking the gear is hard to say. personally never seen that happen unless they poke into a container (Open-able bay that has proper modules to protect interior.

X-1 Mission (Winged)

On 4/3/2017 at 9:27 PM, The-Doctor said:

Is this a work in progress?

The 1.2.2 update is in Dev currently.  Its fully working in 1.1.3.  many dependencies make it a slow process

Edited by Bornholio

8 hours ago, winged said:

I did this in KSP 1.0.5, 1.1.3 is broken and I have pretty much the same problems with wheels as @spacegenius described.

1.2.2 (v11.4.0&11.4.1)  in RealismOverhaul_Global_Config.cfg

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleWheelDeployment]]:FOR[zzzRealismOverhaul]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleWheelDeployment]
	{
		%shieldedCanDeploy = True
	}
}

1.1.3 (v11.3.2)  in RealismOverhaul_Global_Config.cfg

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleWheelDeployment]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleWheelDeployment]
	{
		%shieldedCanDeploy = True
	}
}

As far as I can see this is the only wheel reference and the small steerable LY-05 wheel does not use the module {ModuleWheelDeployment}

Made this in v11.4.0 that worked fine, deployed and steerable, tracks straight. (bit tippy)

FJNNY8v.png

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, UnknownEclipse said:

How would I go about writing an RO config for an engine I modded? And where would I put it in the folder structure.

(sorry if this is the wrong place, tell me where it belongs and I'll ask there)

I believe that if you want RO to support your mod you write a MM config and put it in RO's suggested mods folder. You should test it on your personal install of RO, then open up a pull request on the RO github. https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul

At least, that's what I did to have my mod supported by RO.

15 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I believe that if you want RO to support your mod you write a MM config and put it in RO's suggested mods folder. You should test it on your personal install of RO, then open up a pull request on the RO github. https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul

At least, that's what I did to have my mod supported by RO.

Thanks!

Maybe I'm running an older version.. I thought I grabbed the latest release of RP-0 but there is no yml file in the root folder of RP-0.. And this is PROBABLY why the  Aerobee Sustainer isn't in the first tech node that I'm in...

Keep in mind this is my first run with RO 

Screenshot of Dir and Results of Perl script

And this is the Zip File Contents.. 

Edited by PsyberMind
Add image

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.