Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

RealSolarSystem folder should have a RemoteTech_Settings.cfg among other things  (Only sets locations of various DNS Antennas on Earth)

RO_RemoteTech.cfg should be in the RO_RecommendedMods Folder inside RO. (Sets new values for basic antennas such as DP-10)

Inside the main screen RO configuration window you can load the configs and change some of the settings, make sure the antenna multiplier is not 0.

The RemoteTech_settings.cfg in RO folder is only three settings

@RemoteTechSettings:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
	@RangeModelType = Root
	@MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 1
	@ThrottleZeroOnNoConnection = False
}

Edited by Bornholio

Thanks i will check when i get home. 

27 minutes ago, Bornholio said:

RealSolarSystem folder should have a RemoteTech_Settings.cfg among other things  (Only sets locations of various DNS Antennas on Earth)

RO_RemoteTech.cfg should be in the RO_RecommendedMods Folder inside RO. (Sets new values for basic antennas such as DP-10)

Inside the main screen RO configuration window you can load the configs and change some of the settings, make sure the antenna multiplier is not 0.

The RemoteTech_settings.cfg in RO folder is only three settings

@RemoteTechSettings:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
	@RangeModelType = Root
	@MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 1
	@ThrottleZeroOnNoConnection = False
}

4 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Bornholio and @Temeter, are the alternate propellant options for the classic NERVA or the BNTR? Also, do they work with the ModuleHybridEngines option correctly? IIRC this engine module only supports 2 configs in flight but i may be wrong... :P

Methane is an alternate to NERVA derivatives since the fuel cladding is compatible.  Water nukes would have needed a completely different coating test plan done. A methane NTR could run hydrogen at reduced comparable thrust,  while a hydrogen design likely lacks the reinforcements in pumps and nozzle needed to run methane directly. One design version for Pheobus included a evaporator and gaseous pumping to use the hydrogen systems as is. Never got beyond the design submission stage. Since the fuel cladding are mostly carbides and the moderator also carbon deposition should have been a minimal problem.

The earliest alternate fuel demand, Werner era, was for CO2. This has the same problem as a water nuke because the free oxygen is even more corrosive than free hydrogen. One caveat is that steam is far better known from and engineering sense.  Modern NASA information is pretty well summarized in https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19910012833.pdf   Air force designers wanted water NTR ICBM's in the '80's for the low thermal signature they would have.

This is assumption that a hydrogen source (likely water) is available to make the methane otherwise Mars fuels are limited to CO2 and N2 derived.  CO2+decent TWR nuke could make an excellent lander since it would be possible to refuel in less than a day with known techniques (basic cryogenic compressed gasses).

This UCCS power point gives a good design summary for the math behind it. http://eas.uccs.edu/~aketsdev/MAE 5391_files/MAE5391_Nuclear Prop 2.pptx

Right now my version of the BNTR Config is wrong because it allows mode switching in flight.  The NERVA ones should be correct and it is like most engine configs that just pick the various revisions of the engine.

Edited by Bornholio
spellin'

8 hours ago, Major Gene said:

Does anyone have a Remote tech config file with the RO settings and all the ground stations the links i am finding are bad.

thanks,

gene

3 hours ago, Major Gene said:

Thanks i will check when i get home. 

I am home now....it is set correctly still no connection at the pad.....update. I reloaded RO from CKAN and not it works!!

Edited by Major Gene

Is career or science better to play RSS on for rewarding play progression.  Also I thought RSS retooled the scale of the planets?  I am fine with 1/10th as is but wanted to ensure the RSS parts are performing for that smaller scale.

For some reason I was unable to find the RCS/Monoprop version of the Stratus series tanks (The surface attachable ones from VSR and therefore Stock) in the 1.2.2 release. The default version and cryogenic version of the same tank is present,  but I really loved the Service module version of these parts, for storing attitude control propellants and also for cheating the pressurization system (if you have even 1 small tank that is highly pressurized and cross-feeding, you can run pressure-fed engines without hauling a heavy service module.

These tanks were in the 1.2.2 pre-release and older ROs. Am I the only one having the problem?

13 hours ago, wb99999999 said:

For some reason I was unable to find the RCS/Monoprop version of the Stratus series tanks (The surface attachable ones from VSR and therefore Stock) in the 1.2.2 release.

These tanks were in the 1.2.2 pre-release and older ROs. Am I the only one having the problem?

Using Filter Extensions? Using CCK?  They may be hiding in a category and removed from the default places.  I liked the whole system but some parts get lost inside places they should not be. Do They show up in Tech tree?  Using RP-0? if so have you run a perl script or loaded an old Tree.cfg?

Revised and improved my version of BNTR_Config.cfg.  Still needs a way to separate the modes from the engine versions. Will add PEWEE and PEWEE Methane versions after that.

iAk2ibN.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/we34lexr9p92m63/BNTR_Config.cfg?dl=0

NERVA config, these should probably never bee hybrid mode engines.  Will eventually add CO/CO2/N2 versions to address older concepts of mars ascent.

khbw7Cv.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/az36x2t75d92w2n/NERVA_Config.cfg?dl=0

NERVA II Config.  I'll upgrade them to Hybrid mode version potentially after Figuring out how to do BNTR correctly.  This is functional as single mode specialized reaction mass engines for now.  Want to do PEWEE versions as scales of this motor.

UCe0Q40.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ro9klltg3o52s/NERVAII_Config.cfg?dl=0

Edited by Bornholio
Change to Dropbox links

18 hours ago, Bornholio said:

Using Filter Extensions? Using CCK?  They may be hiding in a category and removed from the default places.  I liked the whole system but some parts get lost inside places they should not be. Do They show up in Tech tree?  Using RP-0? if so have you run a perl script or loaded an old Tree.cfg?

I have checked my install: I am using Filter Extensions, but not anything else; it also happened in sandbox mode. The parts seems just not being configured (since it's 3 sets of parts with normal, cryogenic and service module variant all derived from that 1 set of parts in stock and therefore ven's revamp)

5 hours ago, wb99999999 said:

I have checked my install: I am using Filter Extensions, but not anything else; it also happened in sandbox mode. The parts seems just not being configured (since it's 3 sets of parts with normal, cryogenic and service module variant all derived from that 1 set of parts in stock and therefore ven's revamp)

You might want to start with re-installing vens stock revamp. make sure you are using the correct master. It has pruners make sure you don't use them if you do not want to miss any parts. Other than that mod real fuels and any other fuel/container modifier mod might be messing them up. Though that is less likely. 

I stopped using vens because of docking port problems.

38 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Could anybody please enlighten me what exactly is the state of development and the exact purpose of the Realism Expansion?
https://github.com/PhineasFreak/RealismExpansion

I found it "by accident" and there seems not to be any forum thread about it...

It depends on RO and RP-0 btw ...

The big one is the simple tech tree.  Except for the flaw in the life support prerequisite I prefer RP-0.

Other than that it has some nice textures and procedural parts, the procedural probe core being the one I enjoy the most.

Remember that RP-0 is still in Dev for 1.2.2 and PF's expansion has not even been released so no support yet, thus why no release forum page.

Edited by Bornholio

Hey gang, does anyone know of a good crewed Dragon capsule model (RO compatible or otherwise)? I would like to find a Dragon model that's visually more on the realistic side my project.

The only one I can find is Tygoo's Tundra pack but that's in stockalike style. 

I know there used to be more on the forums but I'm afraid they've fallen past the forum's event horizon and I can't find much.

I'm one of those masochistic guys who likes to build planes in RSS/RO and try to get them to space, not because it's a good idea, but because I want to, damnit.

I was surprised to find in 1.2.2 that the runway now has huge gaps that like to catch my gear and toss my plane into the air. I vaguely remember some blog post about Squad trying to fix something with PQS modeling, so I suspect this is a stock bug that just gets hugely magnified by the real scale, but I figured I'd ask: does anyone know a fix, patch, or workaround for this issue?

T'anks.

15 minutes ago, Jovus said:

I'm one of those masochistic guys who likes to build planes in RSS/RO and try to get them to space, not because it's a good idea, but because I want to, damnit.

I was surprised to find in 1.2.2 that the runway now has huge gaps that like to catch my gear and toss my plane into the air. I vaguely remember some blog post about Squad trying to fix something with PQS modeling, so I suspect this is a stock bug that just gets hugely magnified by the real scale, but I figured I'd ask: does anyone know a fix, patch, or workaround for this issue?

T'anks.

No mods fix it but it's fixed in 1.3 (don't worry I know that RO and FAR aren't updated) so I think you're out of luck.

1 hour ago, Jovus said:

T'anks.

This and science boxes that work iteratively, i can dream of a world where the parts of 1.3 filter backwards in time to 1.2.2

Been playing RSS/RO for years, but ive never really tried going to other planets. Now that I am ive run into a wall it seems and that wall is the massive Dv numbers to go anywhere further then Mars. What does everyone use to get around the solar system? I dont if maybe my nuke engines are bugged, but the Dv number i get from those are terrible. Hydrolox boils away and has terrible density. Hypergolics are stupid heavy. So... how can I go about this? Is Near Future Propulsion worth looking into?

36 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Been playing RSS/RO for years, but ive never really tried going to other planets. Now that I am ive run into a wall it seems and that wall is the massive Dv numbers to go anywhere further then Mars. What does everyone use to get around the solar system? I dont if maybe my nuke engines are bugged, but the Dv number i get from those are terrible. Hydrolox boils away and has terrible density. Hypergolics are stupid heavy. So... how can I go about this? Is Near Future Propulsion worth looking into?

@Motokid600

Ion if going with ultra-light spacecraft;

Hypergolic if medium-sized spacecraft;

Gravity assists with Patched Conics > 5 (not that easy to get right at first attempts);

Nuclear/Hydrolox with the boiloff fixes suggested before & in the HeatPump threads.

EDIT: also, don't be afraid of humongously big & heavy launchers - I've learnt to stop worrying and just scale up!

Edited by hypervelocity

36 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Ion is too weak given that all the NF propulsion items are scaled to realistic values (see my sig for a real comparison).

If it works right hydrogen is stored in a cryogenic tank with radiators.  mine always bleed /shrug.  The cryocooler mod works fine until you TW higher than x1000. So my technique is to have a few orbits around earth and test it then when it bleeds off retore it with Hyperedit.

Some of the other mods use alternate fuels (Methane/Ammonia/Water) for nukes.  I'm making configs for RO nukes to use other fuels also. (My first attempts are above).

Methane specifically is a nice balance of reasonable ISP with better fuel density and cryogenic temp is alot easier to maintain ~110k vs 20K hydrogen.

1 hour ago, hypervelocity said:

Nuclear/Hydrolox with the boiloff fixes suggested before & in the HeatPump threads

You happen to have a link? Last I checked the HeatPump thread (yesterday morning) there was still a problem with timewarp over 1000x, which for me personally isn't worth the trouble.

I suppose I could just bash together an MM cfg to remove all boiloff from cryogenic tanks.

Also, thanks guys for answering my question above.

Edited by Jovus

1 hour ago, Jovus said:

You happen to have a link? Last I checked the HeatPump thread (yesterday morning) there was still a problem with timewarp over 1000x, which for me personally isn't worth the trouble.

I suppose I could just bash together an MM cfg to remove all boiloff from cryogenic tanks.

Also, thanks guys for answering my question above.

Starwaster has other things on the priority list, but said the fix is likely inside real fuels itself. @Phineas Freak said that standard heatsinks work with cryogenics tanks, but I have not seen that work for me.

Thanks. I was hoping for some specific link hinting for a resolution to the problem; I know where to find Heat Pumps. I'll look about and see if I find something.

(I'm not upset or snarking at you; just explaining that I didn't intend to use you as my personal LMGTFY)

18 minutes ago, Jovus said:

Thanks. I was hoping for some specific link hinting for a resolution to the problem; I know where to find Heat Pumps. I'll look about and see if I find something.

(I'm not upset or snarking at you; just explaining that I didn't intend to use you as my personal LMGTFY)

Well if it works as intended. regular radiators and cryogenic/service tanks are supposed to be  working. /shrug

Name the file whatever you want, as long as it has a .cfg extension.  Have in it:

@TANK_DEFINITION[*]:FINAL
{
	@TANK,*
	{
		@loss_rate = 0
	}
}

from NathanKell

I would still make sure you can maintain 20K in the fuel tanks for a few days at TW x1000 or less.  Or whatever boil off temp you need for the fuel.

Edited by Bornholio

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.