Hide contents

@TANK_DEFINITION[*]:FINAL
{
	@TANK,*
	{
		@loss_rate = 0
	}
}

It doesn't work. The only solution I've found is to go to : Real Fuels/Resources/RealTankTypes.cfg and remove bolded lines below:

TANK_DEFINITION
{
    name = Default
    highlyPressurized = False
    basemass = 0.000016 * volume
    TANK
    {
        name = LqdOxygen
        mass = 0.000014
        utilization = 1
        fillable = True
        amount = 0.0
        maxAmount = 0.0
        wallThickness = 0.0025
        wallConduction = 16
        temperature = 90.15
        insulationThickness = 0.01
        insulationConduction = 0.02
        note = (lacks insulation)

}
    TANK
    {
        name = Kerosene
        mass = 0.000012
        utilization = 1
        fillable = True
        amount = 0.0
        maxAmount = 0.0
    }
    TANK
    {
        name = LqdHydrogen
        mass = 0.000002
        utilization = 1
        fillable = True
        amount = 0.0
        maxAmount = 0.0
        temperature = 20.15
        wallThickness = 0.0025
        wallConduction = 205
        insulationThickness = 0.0381
        insulationConduction = 0.014
        note = (basic insulation)

}

3 hours ago, winged said:

It doesn't work. The only solution I've found is to go to : Real Fuels/Resources/RealTankTypes.cfg and remove bolded lines below:

Seemed like it worked before.  Maybe a change happened.  The guys working on it have been pretty active.  Good to see a solution

Maybe a MM config to do the same  as you show would work as well.

@TANK_DEFINITION[*]:FINAL
{
	@TANK,*
	{
	@loss_rate = 0
	!temperature
	!wallThickness
	!wallConduction
	!insulationThickness
	!insulationConduction
	!note
	}
}        

I'll try this out and fix it later today.

12 hours ago, thomas20037 said:

I'm sure this was written somewhere but is there a Realism Overhaul 1.3 release? Or do I have to download every mod separately?

Not yet. Slowly but surely, FAR at 1.3 is one of the critical milestones. But basically every requirement needs to also be at 1.3 before RO can switch to that. Until then its 1.2.2 

On 7/14/2017 at 2:29 PM, Gleisix said:

Does anyone know of a realistic H-IIA mod or know if a patch exists for this mod? https://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/223187-japanese-launch-vehicles-pack#t1:other-downloads

I'd appreciate any info :)  Thanks in advance!

It is 1.3 versioned, with no .dlls and should work fine in 1.2.2. it doesn't have RO configs and  the solution is make them on your own :)  Looks like the parts need Real Fuels conversions among other things.

Maybe it will get on someones que but there are a lot of things going on.

Edited by Bornholio

How do you get mechjeb ascents to work with the limited ignitions? Every time I get to the end of my gravity turn it shuts off my main engine which can't be reignited. I read one of nathankell's earlier posts but didn't seem to work. Can you give me a pic of the settings you used for it?

Thanks!

@spacegenius set your desired altitude to a very high value, like 20000 or something like that, otherwise once you reach that altitude it will shut down the engine to wait for circularization. Also, toggle the RSS/RO special handling in the MJ settings.

The values at the edit ascent path settings are very LV specific, but you can start with something like 2.5km, 80-100m/s, 100-120km for the end of the gravity turn, 0° for final angle, 40% in the slider. Then, you adjust your final angle to adjust apoapsis height and timing. If you TWR is higher you want lower turn start speeds, and lower end for the gravity turn, and the other way round for long burns and low TWR.

Does anyone know which of the many mods under the RO umbrella is the one that adds the "Range Safety" button to the probe parts, and if so, how I can remove that button from the rightclick menu?

IMO, because there's no "Blow it up? Are you sure" y/n" confirm on that click, and it just happens immediately upon misclicking on that button instead of a button adjacent to it, that button shouldn't be there.  Activating range safety should be something that only is possible when you really meant it, not when you were just a few pixels off.

Having it accessible through only the action groups (i.e. the abort button) would make more sense to me and I was wondering if there was a way I could set it up  to work that way.

5 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

Does anyone know which of the many mods under the RO umbrella is the one that adds the "Range Safety" button to the probe parts

RP-0

5 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

how I can remove that button from the rightclick menu?

Take a look inside the "RP-0/PartHacks.cfg" file. The ModuleRangeSafety is added at an "AFTER[RP-0]" pass so you should be able to override it by defining an extra AFTER pass:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRangeSafety]]:FOR[zzzRP-0]
{
    !MODULE[ModuleRangeSafety],*{}
}

BTW, it is accessible via Action Groups: if you click the probe core/avionics unit you should have an option to assign and trigger it.

2 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

RP-0

Take a look inside the "RP-0/PartHacks.cfg" file. The ModuleRangeSafety is added at an "AFTER[RP-0]" pass so you should be able to override it by defining an extra AFTER pass:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRangeSafety]]:FOR[zzzRP-0]
{
    !MODULE[ModuleRangeSafety],*{}
}

Does that merely remove the UI button the partmodule adds to the menu, or does it entirely remove the PartModule itself from the part?  If it removes the partmodule entirely from the part, then wouldn't that also get rid of the ability to trigger it from an action group?  I'm not sure if it's possible to keep one but not the other if both are caused by the same partmodule.

As it was brought up a month ago with no resolutions, I am also having an issue with the runway and it's major flaws with no real way of solving it. Any ideas on what is going on. I just started up an RSS save and trying to take-off or land is impossible with massive heaves in the concrete and the invisible collision meshes. My aircraft sits 2 feet above the runway, so my wheels never touch the ground technically.

Edited by ravenousjoe
Quoted wrong reply. Can't figure out how to copy and paste a quote.

Not sure if this has been brought up before (nor whether to post to this thread or the release thread); I didn't see it in a search on either thread:

I'd love to see RO support for Kerbal Planetary Base Systems. It's my go-to mod for ground bases, for one simple reason: it's flat. I believe it already has its own configs for TACLS, RealFuels, RemoteTech, CLS, etc., so presumably it wouldn't be a huge pain to add support for*, assuming @Nils277 OKs it.

* This coming from the perspective of a Software Engineer who's been poking around at the RO files and understands the number of person-hours involved.

On another note: I'd love to see the electrical configs (battery capacity/charge/discharge rate and solar panel rebalance/nerf) as a standalone mod. Basically I'm trying to have a realistic stockalike experience (yes, yes, I know), without the rescaling/real-world-ifying of the parts. I want to feel like I'm still playing KSP, not a Historical NASA Rocket Simulator that happens to run on KSP's engine. Also because I want to at least sort of maintain the option of other mods (like KPBS) that are not explicitly supported by RO and would be broken in a standard RO setup. I know about Real Battery, and have toyed with it, but it feels...unfinished, and doesn't support other mods/isn't supported by other mods, to my knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys! hope everyone's doing great today

where can I find RO's configs for B9's SABRE engines? I tried looking around the RO folder but couldn't find them!

also, would anyone know how to change the engine's ISP? I was reading a bit about SABRE and would like to push the engine's vacuum isp to 460 seconds for a couple tests I'm doing

@hypervelocity I do not know how AJE sets up the engine stats for the open cycle but i think that you can simply patch the Isp values of the closed cycle like in a normal rocket engine.

Example config (non-operational):

@PART[B9_Engine_SABRE_M]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#engineID[ClosedCycle]]
    {
        @maxThrust = 2000

@atmosphereCurve
        {
            @key,0 = 0 460
            @key,1 = 1 100
        }
    }
}

@Phineas Freak, ah, lovely, that's exactly what I was looking for, as I think the closed cycle vacuum isp might be understated in the current config.

Many many thanks for all your help, I will try it as soon as I get home

PS: in case anyone is interested, managed to reach 6.8 km/s orbital velocity with a SSTO spaceplane using 3 x SABRE S + 1 x J2-X - the closest I ever got to a functioning SSTO spaceplane in RO+RSS !!! I'm almost there!!! I will share the craft as soon as I get it to work.

Edited by hypervelocity

18 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@hypervelocity The B9 SABRE engines are not part of the "official" RO configs. They are listed under the "REWORK" category, meaning, "use at your own risk":

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/77cdd5c8fcfbf3edb1ef509c5a8c2495c449d35f/GameData/RealismOverhaul/REWORK/RO_B9.cfg#L3555-L3647

Yes, but other B9 parts are fine and they shouldn't  be listed under the REWORK category - I created RO support for more than 95% of B9 parts but I left them in REWORK category due to my stupidity (I really didn't know what this category means), They should be moved to "suggested" category.

@hypervelocity I've created RO-replica of Skylon and my biggest problem with Sabre engines was that their performance in jet mode was simply not enough to reach mach 5 speed. There were few other problems like mass ratio for shielded, cryogenic tanks ( they were too heavy to create SSTO with payload) or takeoff speed (200 m/s). It never made it into orbit but at least it's flyable and you can easily land with Shuttle-like speeds (100 m/s)

@winged that is one beautifully looking Skylon !!!

I did try initially to replicate Skylon in my quest to get a functioning SSTO spaceplane. I did reach the engine's airbreathing mode maximum velocity (I believe it was Mach 5.6) at circa 26km altitude and switched to closed cycle mode, but remaining delta-v was never enough. I believe my top performing flight reached orbital velocity of 4.5km/s, but that was it.

I then moved on to lighter, smaller designs - trying to reduce overall dry mass by replacing tanks with wing area, intended to get 2 birds at once: getting more lift to reduce fuel consumption and reduce total mass by combining tank and wing together.

I didn't have a look at editing SABRE's configs yesterday, but I did try one more attempt with my current design and reached an orbital velocity of 6890 m/s - I'm closer than ever and starting to think this is actually possible!

EDIT: actually - we should create a RO/RSS SSTO spaceplane challenge, shouldn't we? I bet this would be a longstanding one - at least I know I have been trying to build one for the past year or so !!!

Edited by hypervelocity

@winged quick question for you mate! and first off, many thanks for creating RO configs for the great B9 parts, your effort is greatly appreciated, many many thanks!!!

the question I had is the following: how did you come about the engine's masses? I notice you set SABRE M to 8 tonnes, but I found the following working paper quoting the engine's mass at almost half of what you have in the RO configs - https://web.archive.org/web/20140127114808/http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/tech_docs/JBIS_v57_22-32.pdf (Page 31)

I want to get to orbit but I don't want to "cheat" my way to it (setting aside the fact I'm using non-existant engines for my planes :$)

8 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

how did you come about the engine's masses? I notice you set SABRE M to 8 tonnes,

I didn't make those configs, I also don't see any sources for that values, maybe they were just guessed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.