Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

weekend updates to RO/RP0 1.3.1 efforts.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A7gQkIiQKi0VtRecE6p86KCKuoawZPdzk7NlaxssRJ4/edit#gid=0

RSS master has commits for 1.3.1 if anyone would like to test, please use them.  I'm sure Egg and company would love some Principia testing feedback also

DEV RO https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/tree/dev is updated to run 1.3.1 as is Developmental RP0 https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/tree/Developmental

Use Master Realfuels if using either. https://github.com/NathanKell/ModularFuelSystem

LOTS OF EDITS... Virtually everything has a 1.3.1 version either in a dev branch or master if they are not released already.

Edited by Bornholio
add information and links

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression it's at least semi-okay to ask for RO advice here? The Voyager window is coming up for my RP-0 campaign, and I'm wondering if there is any advice, tutorials, or historical data on exactly how to plan the ejection from Earth so as to get cheap flybys of all of the four outer planets. Even just detailed information on the Voyager orbits and flybys would give me information on how to plan ejection and any correction maneuvers.

There are tools which will help you plan flybys, including Transfer Window Planner and Flyby Finder for RSS. If you're looking for something that will actually help you get in the right inclination orbits (always the hardest part, in my opinion), this tool will help. It requires Mechjeb, but RO installs that by default. Does that answer your question, or are you looking for something else?

On 2/15/2018 at 12:20 AM, gemini4 said:

There are tools which will help you plan flybys, including Transfer Window Planner and Flyby Finder for RSS. If you're looking for something that will actually help you get in the right inclination orbits (always the hardest part, in my opinion), this tool will help. It requires Mechjeb, but RO installs that by default. Does that answer your question, or are you looking for something else?

On 2/15/2018 at 9:42 AM, Benjamin Kerman said:

Thanks for the help. Part of what I was looking for was less planning the initial transfer window (one can just look up the original Voyager launch dates for that), and more help on the very fine fine-tuning involved necessary to set up a quadruple-slingshot. Right now, I'm probably going to wind up substituting the elegance of a quadruple-slingshot for just firing off four probes; Voyager 1 is set for a Jupiter-Neptune-Uranus trajectory, for example, skipping Saturn.

Besides, given that I have vastly more delta-V than the real Voyager probes, around 3 km/sec more, I can accomplish more ambitious objectives, such as Voyager 1, which will be orbiting Uranus instead of a mere flyby. I might still manage a quadruple-slingshot on Voyager 2, for that matter, abusing the Oberth effect at perijove to still reach Saturn despite a very close flyby.

Is there a mod that allows you to run ion engines in the backround (so I don't have control my probe as it makes maneuver). I know about Orbit Manipulator, but you have to constantly controll your craft during the node, and i don't want to waste 200 in-game days just focusing on that. I'm looking for something like Bon Voyage

9 hours ago, phoneix_007 said:

Is there a mod that allows you to run ion engines in the backround (so I don't have control my probe as it makes maneuver). I know about Orbit Manipulator, but you have to constantly controll your craft during the node, and i don't want to waste 200 in-game days just focusing on that. I'm looking for something like Bon Voyage

@phoneix_007 - I believe this is what you are looking for, though there might be other options!

Edited by hypervelocity

Huh: never realized I was officially listed as an RO contributor. I kind of... never really finished the mod I was going to put in. Lots of talk, not much delivery on my end.

Anyways, one thing I've noticed playing RP-0 is that some of the contract deadlines for other planets are very strict, to the point of potentially stifling some ways of completing them. For example, I'm planning to use the debug menu to complete my Saturn flyby contract early. I have a Voyager probe en route, but because of how I'm getting there (on the return leg from a slightly excessive Jovian slingshot), there's not enough time to get inside the official deadline.

Similarly, I'm planning an EEJ Jupiter orbiter, which will add a couple years to travel time. Since the deadline seems to be based on a simple Hohmann transfer, that's going to have to be edited/cheated out.

If it hasn't already been done on the development branch, then, it may be worthwhile to rebalance some of the contract deadlines; a quickish rule-of-thumb might be 1-2 synodic periods (to permit re-building failed missions and sending them at the next window), plus a full orbital period of the target planet.

8 hours ago, WildDoktor said:

I'm struggling getting RO working with 1.3.1; is this the place to ask my question? I asked in this thread but haven't gotten a reply...

Well, you're struggling because RO is currently rated for KSP 1.2.2 and most of the mods are too. I'd advise downgrading to 1.2.2 for now and updating later when 1.3.1 version od RO is out :)

Hey guys! quick one over here!

I want to tweak RO's RCS thrusters to create a heatshielded version of them, as I noticed only the Conformal RCS have a max temp of 2073K which can endure reentry.

The thing is I cannot find the CFG file for the regular RCS thrusters - would anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by hypervelocity

@MIUPC Because it is only supposed to be ignited on the ground via the launch clamps. There are only a handful of engines that can be air-lit and 1950s engines are not part of that category.

Edit: wrong, this can be considered a bug regarding the ignition count display. I have made the neccessary corrections to fix it.

Edited by Phineas Freak
I was wrong (what a surprise...)

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been playing around with the dev version of RO and it seems that, at some point, Tantares and Tantares LV made some major changes to their file naming system, so the configs currently in RO have no effect on them as the filenames the RO config refers to do not exist.

I was going to give updating them myself a shot, as it seems the filenames are the only thing stopping compatibility, but the Tantares .cfgs are set up to reference part names/descriptions from another source (the title/description section in the .cfgs refers to what looks like a filepath, possibly for the .mu files?)  This means that matching up the new files would require...well, quite a lot of guesswork and matching up prices, which *are* listed in the Tantares .cfgs.

I've been playing my own cocktail of realism mods with 10x kerbol system in 1.3 but I've really been missing the RO engine and part configs that resize everything and remove the throttle from most engines and whatnot. Is there any way I can incorporate that in to my 1.3 game? And if not could a standalone version of the RO part configs be released?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.