Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

Is there a way to make a tank cryogenic so fuel doesn't boil away over time? I know the procedural tanks have a cryo variant, but I designed a probe around a NearFuture structural tank and an Aerojet tank. Not long after exiting Earth's SOI I just noticed all my liquid hydrogen and oxygen was gone. So before I redesign the whole thing is there a simple way to edit these tanks for such a task?

I found a

MODULE

{

name = ModuleFuelTanks

volume = 8000

type = Cryogenic

in the ProceduralParts deprecated folder. If I paste that into the tanks cfg will it become cryogenic by chance?

Edited by Motokid600

The method I've used for now is to attach radiator fins to the tank you want to keep cool. One or two have done a good job at keeping all but the largest tanks at 0 boiloff, even for hydrogen. They will use a log of electricity.

If you want to go forward with an existing mission, the thing that worked for me was spending most of the mission time not focused on the vehicle with cryogenic fuels, as boiloff doesn't happen when you're not flying that craft.

If you want to go forward with an existing mission, the thing that worked for me was spending most of the mission time not focused on the vehicle with cryogenic fuels, as boiloff doesn't happen when you're not flying that craft.

I know that may be the only way to do it right now but isn't that (not exactly I know) cheating? tongue in cheek don't take me serious. :)

I know that may be the only way to do it right now but isn't that (not exactly I know) cheating? tongue in cheek don't take me serious. :)

Oh, totally. Before I found out about the radiators, but still wanted to use Hydrolox, I counted it as the only way.

Is there any way to fix the sensitivity/precision required for docking ports? I finally got a good dock and had to actively fight the magnetic pull between the ports via RCS to get the relative velocities to 0.0 before the ports would finally stick together. (Not sure if this is new with .25 or if it's just the FASA ports, but it was really super hard since the bounding from the magnetic pull keeps the ports from docking if you don't intervene manually.)

Honestly I wish the magnetic pull could be done away with entirely and replaced with a locking-pressurizing sound. I don't find it necessary what so ever.. even in stock ksp.

Jrandom what do you mean when you say you have to fight the magnetic pull? Like when the two craft wobble back and forth trying to complete the dock? Or when it pulls you in initially? I always dock at the slowest speed possible. And once I suddenly start to see the magnets pull me in I brake to slow just before the ports make contact.

PS: So I tried the NearFuture and the external thermal fin radiators... No effect. I'm still loosing fuel at a crippling rate. What radiator is Phredward referring too exactly?

Edited by Motokid600

Jrandom what do you mean when you say you have to fight the magnetic pull? Like when the two craft wobble back and forth trying to complete the dock? Or when it pulls you in initially? I always dock at the slowest speed possible. And once I suddenly start to see the magnets pull me in I brake to slow just before the ports make contact.

The thermal fin is, IIRC, the only radiator part that works as a heat pump. But note that right now and in the past (AFAIK) *no* probes use even mildly cryogenic (like LOX) propellants. Certainly not LH2. There are lots of ideas for how to have massive refrigeration for cryogenic stages, but that's certainly not probe-sized stages anyway.

jrandom: engines like what?

jrandom: engines like what?

If you put jet engines on the back of the upscaled SP+ bicoupler... well, they don't exactly fit as the engines are designed to match the size of the non-RO-scaled parts. I was just curious if there were plans in the works for engines with a matching scale.

Problem: The link in the first post to the overhaul thread, where you can get all the mods, links to a thread that is closed. RedAv8r closed it today?

This thread says go there for the d/l and that thread links back to here, where there are no d/l. Is this mod dead now? That would be a huge bummer.

I have become quite good at stock KSP and was going to d/l this suite of mods to try and up the challenge. Anyway, I will check back here to see if Realism Overhaul is dead or not.

Regards

So this mod is no more? Wow. I'd first like to thank Red and Nathan for doing a fantastic job with this mod and I am very sad to see it go. You guys/gals are amazing and a huge part of what makes KSP so great! Best wishes and good luck!

Well.. that's ashame. Did it really come down to just a few people to spoil the fun for everyone else? I'm going to hold onto my RSS install as long as I can in the meantime. This is how I want to play KSP. Nathan... I'd like to ask if its not too personal.. how overwhelmed are you? I've been on this forum long enough to see alot of mods drop to the floor only for you to pick them up. You are involved with nearly every major project this community has going on. I can only imagine how exhausting that may be.. And above all I'd hate to see it spoil the game for you. I'd offer my help. I would, but I do not have any coding expertise. So for what it counts if there is anything a user with mildly above average computer skills can do.. you let me know. Let ALL of us know. Because I feel that's what it's going to take to keep RO up and running.

Well.. that's ashame. Did it really come down to just a few people to spoil the fun for everyone else? I'm going to hold onto my RSS install as long as I can in the meantime. This is how I want to play KSP. Nathan... I'd like to ask if its not too personal.. how overwhelmed are you? I've been on this forum long enough to see alot of mods drop to the floor only for you to pick them up. You are involved with nearly every major project this community has going on. I can only imagine how exhausting that may be.. And above all I'd hate to see it spoil the game for you. I'd offer my help. I would, but I do not have any coding expertise. So for what it counts if there is anything a user with mildly above average computer skills can do.. you let me know. Let ALL of us know. Because I feel that's what it's going to take to keep RO up and running.

To be honest, everyone starts out with no programming skills. Hard to come out of the womb with 'em. There really is only one way to get programming skills, and that's to start doing it.

All that's beside the point, since Realism Overhaul is mostly not-programming. It's mostly creating and updating config files for parts so they're realistic. So if you're good at looking up spacecraft parts, and finding parts in mods that look like real life parts, or even if you'd like to try becoming good at looking up spacecraft parts, etc, you should help out!

It really isn't too hard, and there's a whole community of people who are more than willing to help you out with that stuff.

I would like to help in anyway possible, I can't program but the way Felger makes it sound I don't really need to. If there is anyway I can help with looking things up or changing configs left me know. Also what is the future of getting help with bugs and such for this mod? I am aware for mods like RSS to go to that thread but what about here?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.