Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

How do I change the textures on Procedural Real Fuel Tanks? The selector slider thing is nowhere to be seen.
Fix: download the KSPAPIExtensions.dll file from https://github.com/Swamp-Ig/KSPAPIExtensions/releases . Copy that and replace every old KSPAPIExtensions.dll within your KSP gamedata folder with it. Several mods are still using the outdated one, which seems to be causing this problem. Fixed it for me. :)

PS: backup your stuff - no warranties. :D

5char

What are the RSS physics settings for KSP_V104...

My rockets have got much heavier in such that my payload ratios have reduced from 20:1 to 40:1

I've tried many combinations and this is the best I can do.

I was grunting a 50 ton payload with a 1,000 ton LHO rocket in V1.02.. now the same thing needs a 2,500 ton LQF + LHO combination rocket.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong as I've been following the same 'formula' since V0.90.

Any ideas

:D

Edt: Not to worry.. it was nothing a RD-0120 couldn't solve (forgot to install these) - got weight down to 900 tons.. back to normal :)

Edited by ColKlonk

I have the problem with MechJeb in RSS-RO was not sure which thread i should put it in so forgive me if i am in the wrong place, but anyway the Accent Path Editor under the Altitude Guidance tab i can never get the Turn End Alitude out of the atmosphere it always seems to cap out at 111km. Is there something that i can edit or change to fix this or if someone can point me in the right direction this would be helpful.

PIC RELATED

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60944648/Kerbal.jpg

I have been messing around with the Agena Target Vehicle and having trouble starting either the Agena's main engine or the engines on it's flight pack. Thrusting with rcs won't stabilize the fuel enough for me to start the engines but, if I try to restart either engine immediately after it fails to start due to vapor in the feed lines it will then show the fuel as very stable for a few seconds. The engine will then start, but this takes up two ignitions and makes it harder to perform an accurate maneuver. Is there anything that I could be doing wrong to cause this behavior?

So there is this guy called Bob Fitch who compiled a bunch of amazing mods into one GameData and posted it online with the Physics .cfg and a few other bits. It's called Project Genesis, (there are no bad things going on because he only includes GD, Physics .cfg, but nothing else.) and it looks really cool. Link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76021-Project-Odyssey-adventures-getting-home-from-an-alternate-dimension/page32/post#316

The reason I came to you with this is because it would be the most easy way to install RO for Mac users. ​I own a mac, so please address this.

So there is this guy called Bob Fitch who compiled a bunch of amazing mods into one GameData and posted it online with the Physics .cfg and a few other bits. It's called Project Genesis, (there are no bad things going on because he only includes GD, Physics .cfg, but nothing else.) and it looks really cool. Link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76021-Project-Odyssey-adventures-getting-home-from-an-alternate-dimension/page32/post#316

The reason I came to you with this is because it would be the most easy way to install RO for Mac users. ​I own a mac, so please address this.

Have you tried using Ckan? Here are the installation instructions for Mac OSX:https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Installing-CKAN-on-OSX

I already said for Mac, those installation instructions are way too complicated.

EDIT: Nope, I'm just scared.

It's just download and install mono 3. Download CKAN. Run this:

"cd Downloads

mono ckan.exe" in the terminal. Run Ckan and tell it where your ksp install is.

I have been messing around with the Agena Target Vehicle and having trouble starting either the Agena's main engine or the engines on it's flight pack. Thrusting with rcs won't stabilize the fuel enough for me to start the engines but, if I try to restart either engine immediately after it fails to start due to vapor in the feed lines it will then show the fuel as very stable for a few seconds. The engine will then start, but this takes up two ignitions and makes it harder to perform an accurate maneuver. Is there anything that I could be doing wrong to cause this behavior?

I was having the same problem. The RCS don't have enough thrust to settle the fuel in bigger tanks. Try to add a ullage motor with more thrust and see if that fixes it.

I think I may have found the problem. It seems that the BAC model 8250 engines that are on the secondary propulsion system(SPS), the Agena-D flight pack part, were used as ullage engines. According to the engineering report listed below the fuel of these engine was stored in "positive pressure expulsion tanks" in other words they used a bladder pressurized with gas (Nitrogen I believe) to eliminate the need for ullage on the SPS.

The problem is that the Agena-D flight pack has ullage set to true when it should be false.

Source:https://archive.org/stream/nasa_techdoc_19790077027/19790077027#page/n129/mode/1up Section 4 deals with the SPS

Small question, which mod one has configs for good lander engines? Ullage and Engine Ignitor make it quiet tricky to land on engines without low throttle settings, and until now i've only found the rather outdated Lunar Module Lander engine. Do we have better (and/or smaller) engines?

RL10 in CECE throttles, IIRC. Depending on lander size. you can "throttle" by adding a bunch of many-ignite engines and selectively turning some off, or even if only one, by "blipping" (turn on and off rapidly) as the WWI rotary-engine planes did.

Wow, that's actually much better than I expected! Thanks, the CECE is indeed throttleable down to 8% thrust, which is really good. Cryogenic, but that's actually an advantage (plus a minor rise in complexity) if I combine it with Starwasters heat pump addon! Exhaust also looks cooler, and KWR has a very nice model.

Didn't even think about blimping anymore. That was indeed the way I landed my first moon lander on an aestus, but I didn't consider it anymore after the ignition update. Unlimited, pressure fed engines like the OMS or the Apollo's SPS (which are apparently based on the same engine, who'd have thought) can indeed still fill that role.

Edited by Temeter

AJ10 is by far the longest-lived engine / engine family. Its prototype was the engine on the WAC Corporal (1940s), then Aerobee, then Vanguard, then Able/Delta, then Titan Transtage, then Apollo, then later Delta, then OMS, and may even be used on Orion.

Can anyone point me to any information on using kOS with Realism Overhaul?

I want to know if there are any issues to watch for when using the two together.

I also have a problem with kOS. I am attempting to write a script that executes a maneuver node (for circularisation) but when I use "LOCK STEERING TO ..." the ship spins out of control. This happens whatever direction I try to steer to.

AJ10 is by far the longest-lived engine / engine family. Its prototype was the engine on the WAC Corporal (1940s), then Aerobee, then Vanguard, then Able/Delta, then Titan Transtage, then Apollo, then later Delta, then OMS, and may even be used on Orion.

Yep, was checking wikipedia after that. Has been crazyly long in use. Seems like reliability is more benefitial than modern technology?

Does anyone know whether the General electric X-405 engine (used on Vanguard) could, hypothetically, be started and run in near-vacuum? I've made a 3-stage rocket that uses two of these for its second stage, it works well enough, but I'd rather not break suspension of disbelief :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.