[WIP] Some stuff I've been working on. WWII Cockpits, Propeller Engines, VentureStar

CoffeeSE

Mek.... I would take the parts from .25 if I could get them..... But, yeah, I would love to get a hold of the airliner parts. That said, I believe SXT has parts for the DC-8. (Frankly I want these because of their similarity to the Comet/Nimrod)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So this mod 'mostly' works with 1.02 just the node attach is a bit....yeah.... and the engines have broken. Fw-190 going supersonic type broken, with no sound.

- - - Updated - - -

If you do parts for a SM.79 you will be awesome........

Edited by TUKE

• 2 weeks later...

I have gotten the Mod to work. Also fixed the nodes. You have to just add a minus in front of the Node positions and you have tweak their position a little bit. Now the arado cockpit simply doesnt have a node, but you can attach the fueslage radially and move it with the offsetgizmo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aircraft such as the B-29 (mostly that, many artists were Americans), Ar-234, and He-111, had a glass-nose look that influenced the speculative space-art of the '40s and '50s, so these cockpit models have some potential uses beyond aviation. The smoother shape had the super-streamlined look that suited the rocketships of fiction.

After Kubrick made 2001, the fashion for streamlining faded, but, maybe with a launch shroud, that glass-nose style would be a useful choice for a craft that wasn't planned for reentry. The old TV series and comic, Fireball XL-5, looks almost Kerbalish...

XL5-1-1.jpg

That's not quite the same , but there is that blend of plane and rocket in the XL-5. And I find myself wondering what the small kerbals were being fed over TV as the KSP started.

Hello there! Thank you CoffeeSE for the great mod.

It's a pity that you, probably, don't have time to keep it up to KSP versions.

So, I've made a little changes to .cfg files of prop. engines to work fine on 1.0.4. Here they are. :cool:

Kn-12 should perform like the real one - with optimal speed ~850km/h (~240m/s) and optimal altitude about 8-9km.

C28 can get you to ~750-860km/h (~210-240m/s) and it is optimal to use till 5-6km altitude.

Engines now feels a little bit overpowered due to my laziness. If someone will change thrust and Isp values using this files or find something strange, please tell me. :rolleyes:

P.S. Coffee, please, don't sue me. :D

Edited by Spacefarer

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, zeusGamer said:

can you put this mod on something other than Kerbal stuff as it has been closed down

Hi the mod as it stands in the original down load is very broken in 1.05 so much has changed since it was released.

It is possible to get it working if you know your way around cfg's, though there's quite a lot to do, the versions I'm running have been much altered  and are still far from perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2016 at 8:39 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi the mod as it stands in the original down load is very broken in 1.05 so much has changed since it was released.

It is possible to get it working if you know your way around cfg's, though there's quite a lot to do, the versions I'm running have been much altered  and are still far from perfect.

Is it possible you could post the versions you're running on dropbox or something? Even though they're far from perfect it would be nice to try them

• 5 weeks later...

I'm really digging the art style of these pieces, and since I already have them from the kerbalstuff torrent, I figured I would also reupload this mod of CoffeeSE as well. Below you'll find the dropbox link, but before you run off and download it, you need to read how to get these pieces to work properly. In short, the nodes are a bit messed up, specifically the bottom nodes. I tested the IVA's and & EVA's of all the cockpits and the nodes, and the nodes on the engines. I did not test the aerodynamics of the cockpits (I did take them into space though, and no "space" got in:P) nor did I actually take the engines out of the VAB, so I have no idea how they run (I think someone mentioned that might be an issue, so you're on your own for that one). Overall, nodes aside, things should be fine. Custom IVA's work wonderfully. Major issue I can't do anything about and you can read below is with the colliders on the Cw 190 D-9 Cockpit, but it's still usable as long as you never get out of it ever:0.0:. None of the EVA's throw you into space though, which is nice. As always, back up the original part configs in case I'm wrong, or you do a real hatchet job on them, or just for posterities sake.

Node Problems (top node is original node, make it look like the bottom node):

Spoiler

===Cw 190 D-9 Cockpit===
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.2001, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.2001, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

===Cf 109 Cockpit===
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.3001, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.3001, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

===Arado Ar-234 Cockpit====
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.8, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.8, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1

===C28 Radial (Engine)===
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.3, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.3, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

==KN-12 Turboprop (Engine)===
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.605, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.605, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

Other problems:

• Cw 190 D-9 Cockpit: IVA ok; EVA...not so good. Almost the entire cockpit (except the little bit around the canopy where you exit from) is missing colliders, allowing you to float freely through it. This also prevents you from re-entering once you EVA. When you EVA, you are still hanging on an imaginary ladder (maybe the ladder is below the skin mesh?); it's only when you let go that the fun begins. You're basically hosed if you let go is what I'm trying to say. But if you never EVA (or never let go of the ladder even) then life's just peachy, as the IVA is perfectly functional.
  • Cf 109 Cockpit: IVA & EVA are both fine.
  • Arado Ar-234 Cockpit: IVA & EVA are both fine. Hatch placement is not where you would expect though.
    • Some things of concern in the config is that the cockpit is...tangent for a second: every part has a config associated with it (that's what we're working with here), and in the config there is a part (usually at the top), that generally has the name of the part and the author and a little piece called "module = Part". There apparently used to be a number of different modules used here besides "Part" but they have been deprecated and now most if not all use the "Part" module. The Arado cockpit does not. It uses "module = Winglet" and this may or may not causes problems, I have no idea, but I don't like it, so I switched it to "module = Part". Likewise, there are a couple of loose bits (usually associated with Lifting Modules and such, but in this case, maybe it's part of the Winglet thing, who knows?) and they are "deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.4" and "dragCoeff = 0.4". Anyway, the point of all this is that they may or may not do anything by their lonesome, so commenting them out might be beneficial (I did). Your mileage may vary, just something to consider, probably harmless either way.
  • C28 Radial (Engine): breakingForce/breakingTorque seem way low (30/50) for an engine (usually in the 200 range), other than that, see the nodes above. Didn't test outside.
  • KN-12 Turboprop (Engine): breakingForce/breakingTorque seem way low (20/50) for an engine (usually in the 200 range), other than that, see the nodes above. Didn't test outside.

And there you have it.

Link to download.

License is CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International (as it was originally).

I didn't change anything (taken from kerbalstuff torrent); all credit goes to @CoffeeSE

Not sure how long the download will be up, best to grab it while you can.

Oh, and not sure if I should mention this or not, but those Airliner parts everyone in this thread wants so bad? They're on the kerbalstuff torrent. But since I don't think CoffeeSE actually released them, I don't think I will be either; respectin' the author and such (and I don't want to be a clearing house for old mods).

Cheers.

Edited by Deimos Rast

• 2 months later...

QEALZsw.png

It can work if you are happy to alter some cfg's But if you check out the airliner parts thread I passed all my working CoffeSE parts on to @Hellbrand including the engines and cockpits from this mod all of which are happily working in 1.1.2.  I don't know if he's planning to re release those parts as well, He does have permission form the author to do what ever he wishes with the parts so he may be amenable to pushing those out also

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

• 3 months later...