NASA - Adaptable, Deployable Entry Placement Technology (ADEPT) by OLDD (26.04.14)

DennyTX

This is exactly what I was looking for! The most exciting development in EDL technology, but you left out a very important feature, the ability to steer it by angling the shield. It does this with a very simple mechanical system. This means that it can not only steer to allow for a higher precision landings, but it can also generate lift. There was a presentation about this at NASA Ames last year which shows how it does it.

http://youtu.be/4ulmgEcsx-c?t=34m14s

May I also make a humble request for a larger version? I need a 10 meter version of this to land big payloads on Mars =D

Never mind, I managed to figure it out on my own!

Edited by maccollo

• 2 weeks later...
Nice job, Madadam! I have done a few of these modifications on my copy of the mod as well! Thanks for sharing.

My only concern about this is the slower animation, but we'll see how it goes! :) Thanks for the effort.

-Edit-

Here's a few suggestions to add on your file:

Decoupling FX - This adds the sound and smoke effects when decoupling the shield.

2.5m

// --- FX definitions ---

fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, decouple
sound_vent_large = decouple

5m

// --- FX definitions ---

fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 1.9, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, decouple
sound_vent_large = decouple

And I personally increased my ejectionForce value to 250. For me, it makes more sense. :)

As for the Animation speed, it got about 3x slower, which it's kinda bugging me. :P Yes, I'm silly, I know.

I've looked into the KSP Wiki, but it looks like we can't manually set the animation speed on the ModuleAnimateGeneric. Sad. :(

Where would these changes be made to the existing CFG that madadam has made?

Why I think firespitter is the most common and longest serving and is updated with every release, so dont quite understand why you would want to rely on slow stock animation sequences

Yeah, seriously... removing dependencies is cool... except pretty much everyone with mods has Firespitter already anyways.

There actually is a decoupler, but it's on the bottom (round) part. ;)

Yes, I knew about the bottom decoupler but I don't see what that has to do with wanting one for the top...

Why not add an empty waste tank for the needed reentry mass? No need to waste delta-v on Pb..

Just fill it as waste becomes available...

If non-kerbal or no waste products, H'mm, will have to think on that... LoL..

Starwaster I will try to come up with method and have you look it over to see what i did wrong...

Love this mod.. Great stuff and hope more keeps coming..

Cheers.

Adding more mass above the shield would only make a flipping situation worse. Adding ballast to the shield shifts the center of mass downwards

Why I think firespitter is the most common and longest serving and is updated with every release, so dont quite understand why you would want to rely on slow stock animation sequences

The stock animator has a parameter that can be used to change animation speed.

Yes, I knew about the bottom decoupler but I don't see what that has to do with wanting one for the top...

-snip-

The stock animator has a parameter that can be used to change animation speed.

Nothing to do with wanting or not wanting one for the top. I just pointed the info. :)

Also, can you tell us what's the parameter for changing the animation speed using the stock animator? I couldn't find it here. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Currently, these cannot have anything attached to their bottom nodes and the heat shield code is no longer valid. (going forward, Deadly Reentry will use a heat shield module based on the stock module as Deadly Reentry is using the stock heating code heavily)

Additionally, these parts can't have anything attached to their bottom nodes because the bottom nodes don't point the right way. (it was only possible before due to a bug which is now fixed)

The following patch for Module Manager will allow parts to attach to their bottom nodes and should allow them to function as shields in KSP 1.0 (no actual heat shield code yet but they will have a high emission factor combined with a large radiative area)

(there will be a Deadly Reentry update soon; if you use that, don't use the patch as it will be incorporated into DRE)

create a text file with an extension of .cfg (ADEPT.cfg for example)

Edit the text file you created and copy then paste the following code into that file

@PART[NASAaeroShield_A]
{
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.95, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
//thermalMassModifier = 4.0
maxTemp = 1800
heatConductivity = 0.06 // half default
emissiveConstant = 0.95
!MODULE[ModuleAnimation2Value],*{}
!MODULE[ModuleHeatShield]{}
}
@PART[NASAaeroShield_B]
{
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.9, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
maxTemp = 1800
emissiveConstant = 0.95
}

DennyTX, feel free to incorporate this if you want. I'll add a heat shield section to it later, but as is it should be pretty effective with the stock heat system. When it animates it will automatically have both its drag and radiative area increased and the emissiveConstant of 0.95 means it will be very effective at radiating excess heat away.

Edited by Starwaster
clarified cfg file creation process.

put this into a cfg file (ADEPT.cfg for example)

Code:

@PART[NASAaeroShield_A]

{

@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.95, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1

maxTemp = 1800

emissiveConstant = 0.95

}

@PART[NASAaeroShield_B]

{

@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.9, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

maxTemp = 1800

emissiveConstant = 0.95

Please specify in which part of the code necessary to add a piece of code that you have specified

Nide attach problem. Config file needs its bottom nide direction changed. I ran into this when updating my mods.

The point of the patch that Starwaster posted here is to fix those nodes, but macenkodenis is having some difficulty with it. A few guesses: maybe you missed a line or a letter when copying it over? I see in your quote that you don't have the closing bracket in the NASAaeroShield_B patch, which would cause Module Manager to ignore it.

The point of the patch that Starwaster posted here is to fix those nodes, but macenkodenis is having some difficulty with it. A few guesses: maybe you missed a line or a letter when copying it over? I see in your quote that you don't have the closing bracket in the NASAaeroShield_B patch, which would cause Module Manager to ignore it.

I'm create .CFG file in root of Gamedata folder, still nothing. What uncoding i'm must use to save CFG?

Edited by macenkodenis

Thanks for the MM config, I was looking for a 5m heatshield.

You can rescale one.

EDIT- Not sure on the numbers but it would be something like a

PART
{

// --- general parameters ---
name = NASAaeroShield_B
module = Part
author = DennyTX

// --- asset parameters ---
rescaleFactor = 1
[COLOR="#FF0000"]scale = 0.186[/COLOR] <------------- Match the red
MODEL
{
model=OLDD/NASA/NASAaeroShield
[COLOR="#FF0000"]scale = 0.186, 0.186, 0.186[/COLOR] <----------- play around with this numbers
rotation = 0, 0, 0
}

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.9, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.9, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,1

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = metaMaterials
entryCost = 10000
cost = 10000
category = Pods
subcategory = 0
title = NASA aero Shield 5m
manufacturer = OLDD
description = NASA aero heat Shield. Change drag when open. Recommended for any pods reentering atmospheres.

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 2.2
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 9
breakingForce = 99
breakingTorque = 99
maxTemp = 999

fuelCrossFeed = False

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = AeroShieldOpen
isOneShot = false
startEventGUIName = Deploy
endEventGUIName = Retract
actionGUIName = Toggle AeroShield
allowAnimationWhileShielded = False
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAblator
ablativeResource = Ablator
lossExp = -9000
lossConst = 20
pyrolysisLossFactor = 10000
reentryConductivity = 0.01
ablationTempThresh = 500

}
RESOURCE
{
name = Ablator
amount = 1800
maxAmount = 1800
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDecouple
ejectionForce = 16
explosiveNodeID = bottom
}
}

And sorry this is a edited cfg, I use.

Edited by Mecripp2

It should be, yes. The original config file contains two parts; one 2.5m and one 5m.

Apart from that, anyone who have tested it, have you noticed if any flipping problems persists while using Starwaster's patch?

And maybe we could put some Ablator into it.

{
name = ModuleAblator
lossExp = -9000
lossConst = 20
ablationTempThresh = 500
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Ablator
amount = 800
maxAmount = 800
}
MODULE

{
name = ModuleAblator
lossExp = -9000
lossConst = 20
ablationTempThresh = 500
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Ablator
amount = 1800
maxAmount = 1800
}
MODULE

Thanks.

Edited by Kowgan

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.