[1.1.0] ORIGAMI foldable antenna dishes for RemoteTech v0.9

IGNOBIL

s

Foldable radial mounted Antennas to complement RemoteTech's needs, mostly inspired by NASA's TDRS! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracking_and_data_relay_satellite.

There are two dish antennas at the moment, a large antenna ranging at 350Gm for most of Kerbol system, and a smaller on ranging 69Gm reaching all of Kerbol's inner rocky planets.

RemoteTech 2 is a dependency:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83305

Place NAU folder into GameData

v0.9 underwent a small model refresh and a major texture overhaul optimisation.

Download from SpaceDock

[ imgur]fdfk8[/imgur]

License is GPLv2

Edited by IGNOBIL
Update to 1.1

What if I don't want RemoteTech but want the dishes only? Would they still work without it?

Yes, don't put the RT MM cfg. they have antenna specs on their config, don't know how balanced they are, but I just assigned the same values as per RT antennas.

Here's a pic of a nice relay that covers all of Kerbol system, plus a spare 350Gm for active vessels, I have two of the in opposite synchronous polar orbit and never run out of coverage.

mj1x07.png

This is my first mod, hope its doesn't brake anyones save :confused:

You can't usually break a save by adding parts. Saves break when mods that reference models in other directories get those directories moved around, or the models renamed, etc. They also break if the mod maker renamed the parts in the PART config. There are some other ways (like adding or especially removing modules after launch) but the most common break comes from renaming parts or files after things launched.

Also, feel free to ask me anything you want, any time you want. I have a soft spot for satellites and antennae etc, and like I said in the dev thread you're my hero today for this mod. I can't make models or textures. I am a veteran programmer and extremely technical, but my art skills stop at stick figures.

What if I don't want RemoteTech but want the dishes only? Would they still work without it?

Yes, they will work. The OP defined RemoteTech using "@PART[NAU_ORI350Gm]:FOR[RemoteTech]" which means nothing will be changed if you don't have RemoteTech installed.

whoa love the look now i am gonna go resize these and stick onto some boxsats :)

Edit: and make these Antenna Range compatible

If we give you a cookie, would you share the MM configs at your convenience? :D

Yes, they will work. The OP defined RemoteTech using "@PART[NAU_ORI350Gm]:FOR[RemoteTech]" which means nothing will be changed if you don't have RemoteTech installed.

Actually.... as I understand it, IGNOBIL is using the wrong syntax there... it should be

"@PART[NAU_ORI350Gm]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]"

The :NEEDS block means only process the part if the dependency ( [RemoteTech] ) is installed.

The :FOR block is for defining to MM that a mod is installed, and this config is a part of it, and also that this config should be processed after any :BEFORE blocks but before any :AFTER blocks for that mod.

Also, [n]@IGNOBIL, you can place MM config files anywhere, so I would strongly recommend that you keep your RT file in the NAU folder with the parts. That way it will persist across someone deleting and reinstalling RemoteTech when they upgrade, as otherwise they won't necessarily remember that your (wonderful) mod placed a config file in there.

Finally, thank you for these dishes. I am SO DEFINITELY sending some of them to space tonight! :D

Actually.... as I understand it, IGNOBIL is using the wrong syntax there... it should be

The :NEEDS block means only process the part if the dependency ( [RemoteTech] ) is installed.

The :FOR block is for defining to MM that a mod is installed, and this config is a part of it, and also that this config should be processed after any :BEFORE blocks but before any :AFTER blocks for that mod.

Also, [n]@IGNOBIL, you can place MM config files anywhere, so I would strongly recommend that you keep your RT file in the NAU folder with the parts. That way it will persist across someone deleting and reinstalling RemoteTech when they upgrade, as otherwise they won't necessarily remember that your (wonderful) mod placed a config file in there.

Finally, thank you for these dishes. I am SO DEFINITELY sending some of them to space tonight! :D

I believe that's right, and I did not catch that at first. I recommend you (OP) github this or something and we can help you fix it up when it comes to the CFG files.

Thanks, I'll change that, also, regarding where to put the MM cfg, when trying out it wouldn't connect to RT if I placed it on my folder, maybe is something on the config that I don't get, I'll change it, hope it still works, don't want you sending them to Jool and not working! I'm comfortable with modelling and now I got the unity stuff covered, just need to try to sort out the programming headaches!

@ hakan, yes, I've spotted the "origame" typo, but can't seem to change the title, need to look further into it, now it's work week, so maybe later down to the weekend.

"@PART[NAU_ORI350Gm]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]"[...]

added bonus with the needs syntax, anything under that mod will not be added if the dependancy isn't there. you could easily define the part as a static stock PART {} and then have a seperate MM patch that adds remote tech and be fully operational with or without remotetech.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it possible to make them scalable? I'll like to have short, medium, and long range versions of these. I really like the look and having three size/ranges would be great. I am guessing all one would have to do is scale the model and adjust the ranges and power for remotetech in the .cfg's but I don't know enough about how they work to do it myself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.