[WIP] [1.0.5] 2-Kerbal Command Pod [Mk. 1-1 A2] ( Alpha 0.4) {SpaceDock}

Yarbrough08

Mk. 1-1 A2 Two Kerbal Command Pod

kRIZbss.png

NOTE:

TEXTURES ARE SEPERATE NOW! YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD A TEXTURE PACK! PICK ONLY ONE TEXTURE PACK!

I created high, medium, and low textures (both diffuse and normal map) for the pod exterior shell. I also am giving an ultra low choice that will make the pod appear as it was before - no detail.

AGAIN, THE TEXTURES ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE POD DOWNLOAD.

I have uploaded and linked several texture packs for the pod. These packs contain the textures for the exterior (previously white) "shell," as well as the interior and exterior windows. The packs are divided up based off of the exterior shell texture size, and include:

Main Textures are the exterior shell's diffuse and normal map.

Size listed is for each texture..

Texture Pack 4096

-Main textures = 4096x4096

-Window textures = 512x512

Texture Pack 2048

-Main textures = 2048x2048

Texture Pack 1024

-Main textures = 1024x1024

Low Quality Texture Pack

(The Original Textures)

-Main textures = 4x4

-Window textures = 4x4

Alpha 0.4 Kerbal Stuff

I will add a few beauty shots of A0.4 as I take them, lol..

Updated to KSP 1.0.5

- Fixed an issue with the bottom attachment node

- Split the heat shield off to be a separate object to solve the issue with stock reentry heating

(performance is slightly better than the stock Mk 1-2 pod and heat shield)

- Added a texture and normal map for the outer shell of the pod

- Added textures for both the exterior and interior windows

- Remodeled most of the airlock - added handles for kerbals on EVA

- Added handle bars to the interior

- Included a remodeled instrument panel

- Rearranged gauges for the new panel and for future props (still a WIP)

- Various other tweaks that I probably forgot

Alpha 0.4 Photos:

I became interested in modeling a 2 person CP that was not historic in nature. I am looking for feedback at the moment, as well as interest in the project. So, with that being said...

This is a 2.5m to 1.25m, 2-kerbal, command module. I used the dimensions of kerbals to come us with this size. The 3-kerbal Mk 1-2 pod crams too many kerbals in, and doesn't leave room for them to move around or even exit. It will be compensated for in a mass reduction, as not as much(insert your ideals of life support or equipment) is needed to contain 2 vs 3 kerbals.

RCS ports are working, as well as a very basic IVA implementation. Windows are zoomable, airlock/ladder functions, and compatibility with DRE and RF (RCS Ports). Has (at the moment) an almost non-existent Texture footprint in RAM because of placeholder textures.

Includes a shroud to smooth transition to decouplers, which are still needed.

IVA layout changed (Stock Props Complete). I used at least one of each of the stock props.

Added lights to the IVA

Interior model touch up and UV'd. Ready for when I produce textures.

Airlock wall, hatch, and cover added

Of course this is a WIP and nowhere near finished. Although it looks pretty good, I have not finished creating proper textures for it.

For now, license is: CC BY-NC 4.0

Navball Textures

Old Photos

First prototype [Mk. 1-1 A2]

Edited by Yarbrough08
A0.4

Looks awesome! I would encourage you to plan a "stock-like" texture even if it is an alternate. I know there are quite a few people, including myself, who would love for it to match a little closer to stock.

Quite nice. Will you keep the inside and outside the same scale?

Is the hatch in the middle?

I will be keeping the inside the same scale, as I have determined the outside size by establishing a "layout" of the inside.

The hatch is in the center of the back side, and is large enough to fit an actual kerbal through. I was actually contemplating opening the hatch so that you could go inside to actually enter the pod. As in: open hatch and maneuver kerbal inside airlock, then grab hold and board pod. But I have not made up my mind yet. Seems like just making extra effort for no reason other than a "that's kinda cool" factor.

I will be keeping the inside the same scale, as I have determined the outside size by establishing a "layout" of the inside.

The hatch is in the center of the back side, and is large enough to fit an actual kerbal through.

Great! I love attention to detail and realism. I wish more people did this.

I was actually contemplating opening the hatch so that you could go inside to actually enter the pod. As in: open hatch and maneuver kerbal inside airlock, then grab hold and board pod. But I have not made up my mind yet. Seems like just making extra effort for no reason other than a "that's kinda cool" factor.

That would be nice but I think this kind of thing would be best if squad actually took the lead with hollow parts and life support and a pressurisation/depressurisation mechanic, otherwise it's more effort than necessary.

Also:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Wow... That's amazing!

I hope the RCS ports work... *Hint Hint*

That would be awesome! It would nicely compensate for the total lack of lift during reentry and allow "fine tuning" your landings

How is that?

I currently have it configured to cooperate with Real Fuels.

Since there seems to be enough interest, I will release it when I'm closer to being finished. Which should be a basic version by the end of the week. I want to create a RPM internal for it, but this first version will be stock. I will also be creating compatibility for TAC LS, RF, and DRE. Those will be released this first time, but it will not be required to have those mods. External first pass is complete. Beginning my first pass over internals...

I think it's great as-is. Adding retro engines would make it a bit too complex for the size. As it is it reminds me of CST-100 which doesn't have landing engines.

CST-100-V009-Freeflyer-Landscape.jpg

I'll check it out whenever it's released, it seems to fill a nice spot between the stock capsules. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.