[WIP] [1.0.5] 2-Kerbal Command Pod [Mk. 1-1 A2] ( Alpha 0.4) {SpaceDock}

Yarbrough08

Yeah, sliders would require a plugin.. Which is out of the question, at the moment, for me. Even though that is a really cool idea.. I'd add it to my wish list for RPM (along with MNODEDV as a %, and animation states boolean variable)

What I could do is just have it cycle colors (off->red->green->blue->off), or I could include separate animations tied to multiple props(switches) for basic colors. These animations could also be tied to a variable, so that you would have different colors in different situations (Landed = Green, Flying in the atmosphere = Red, Orbit = Blue).

Yeah, sliders would require a plugin.. Which is out of the question, at the moment, for me. Even though that is a really cool idea.. I'd add it to my wish list for RPM (along with MNODEDV as a %, and animation states boolean variable)

What I could do is just have it cycle colors (off->red->green->blue->off), or I could include separate animations tied to multiple props(switches) for basic colors. These animations could also be tied to a variable, so that you would have different colors in different situations (Landed = Green, Flying in the atmosphere = Red, Orbit = Blue).

oh now that's sounds great man. can't wait to see the end result although i do have one question....

what are the weird diamond shaped imprints on the door for the command pod on both sides of the window on the pod door? is it for some future decal or something because it looks kinda weird.

i'd show a screenshot but i am on a school computer...

what are the weird diamond shaped imprints on the door for the command pod on both sides of the window on the pod door? is it for some future decal or something because it looks kinda weird.

Future handrails.. That area (the door) will have decals on it, I want to get those in place before I design the handrails..

Edited by Yarbrough08

@Cpt. Kipard: I will be including the customized panel lights separately so that they are only optional.

The internals already include 3 lamps (1 backlight, and 1 for each kerbal's front), the panels lights were just something I was exploring for "taste" I suppose (not trying to solve a problem in this case). The emission uses the same texture as the diffuse, so not really adding to complexity or RAM. The only addition to RAM would be the animations, which would be on the order of a couple kb's, not much addition if you were to use it.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, of course..

Besides, every mod could be considered to be "a waste of memory" in some way. (RPM could be considered a waste, as RPM is trying "to solve a problem that a simple" stock prop "would also solve")

It also only takes a couple min's to set up.

If it's an emissive material then it must have an extra channel beyond what a simple diffuse material would have, doesn't it?

The alpha channel is used for emit value, or so I thought.. The alpha channel is used for specular in Diffuse/Specular, so it also uses it. Not 100% sure about the emit values, it is the way it needs to be set up though..

Color should be determined by MainTex otherwise it would look odd (red object emitting blue). Therefore emit should be a single value (brightness), which is normally stored in the alpha channel for most programs. KSP does things differently, however; so it may not follow this template.. So it still remains that I might be wrong.

Either way, the emissive/diffuse texture is only 4x4 pixels anyway (84 bytes < 1kb).

Edited by Yarbrough08

I've completed a navball texture to use with the monitor (and I want to create a separate navball prop too). It is pretty much a conversion of the Apollo style 8-ball to the way KSP uses the navball (normal vs radial).

I'm pretty satisfied with the result..

Solid lines represent 30° and are annotated; dashed/dotted lines represent 15°.

Pitch is located on alternating sides of the major headings, annotating 30° and 60°.

The major headings are marked at 45° pitch (N, S, E, W). Minor heading are marked at 15° pitch, in 30° intervals, and are annotated minus the 0 as is common in the aero industry (the major heading's 0s are red to indicate this).

All of the markings, including the small tick marks are accurate.. (as accurate as camera angles in KSP allow, I think the stock navball texture is off by 0.5°, but I can't really tell)

Edited by Yarbrough08

I really like the high contrast/high visibility navball. So I naturally wanted to create that style for the IVA.

I don't think that there is one like this available for KSP (that is - Apollo style). So I thought I would release the textures for others to use.

Here are the textures:

bbggPNF.png

jKoiyMq.png

Yeah, the red is the best IMO, but the blue can make some interesting effects (as could a green one - on a screen setup to look like an old school scanline). I was just playing around with the colors as I was playing with the BallColor setting and thought it was interesting so I posted it. The blue texture, I think would only be useful in the glowing style Navball. (I was trying to replicate the style navball used in standard RPM, btw. - as in Light Blue/Dark Blue)

Edited by Yarbrough08

@Cerverus: I was hoping to release this weekend, but it doesn't look like I will be. Configuring the pages is taking longer that I thought it would, it has been a learning experiences with RPM as well.. Hopefully (fingers crossed) I will have a release next weekend.

@Vectura: Um, no... Sounds like you have Load on Demand installed. It has problems with the Alpha channels and renders textures with alpha channels all black.. I know ASET ALCOR had this problem too, it kept me from using LoD.

• 2 weeks later...

My professors decided to change our schedule and give me some exams that were due after thanksgiving break before, so it was delayed a little bit. I have been working on it, just nothing really pic worthy. I've added background sounds, and continued work on the monitor. I am not at a point where I am happy enough to release it. I am sorry for the delay, but naturally my degree takes precedence.

I will need to do a release after this first monitor is complete though. It will have to be thoroughly tested as it is fast becoming quite complex.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.