[WIP] [1.0.5] 2-Kerbal Command Pod [Mk. 1-1 A2] ( Alpha 0.4) {SpaceDock}

Yarbrough08

Total shot in the dark but, I was trying another part mod and I had the nodes not attaching issue, in the debug menu (alt f12) there is a new one that says "Non-strict part attachment orientation checks" when I enable that it fixes the nodes when I disable them they break again stock parts work fine regardless.

my question is what exactly does this mean, what does it really do?

Attachment nodes now need a correct direction. Go into Mk1-1A2CommandPod.cfg and find this line:

node_stack_bottom = 0, -0.5615888, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

and change it to:

node_stack_bottom = 0, -0.5615888, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

This should fix the attach node.

• 3 months later...

The biggest and most glaring issue that I see is....

Its TOO good... built in RCS and Hi-rez texturing puts the Mk1-2 and Mk1 to shame. LOL

I would suggest:

• Remove the tiles and make it have the "lego nub" bottom like the Mk1-2 so it can better use the Mk1-2 heat shield.
  • Fix the node. (-1 in cfg)
  • Maybe make a low res, more stock alike texture, as an alternate (or put those awsome skillz on the Mk1-2 and make it look BETTER)
  • ???
  • Profit!

:D

Changing the bottom node to...

node_stack_bottom = 0, -0.69, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

...in the part config file (Mk1-1A2CommandPod.cfg) will align the stock 2.5m heat shield correctly with the base of the pod, though it will leave a gap between the pod and anything else you attach to the bottom node instead of a heat shield. You're probably better off just sliding things around with the VAB gizmo to line them up.

• 3 months later...

Hello all..

I finally have time that I can spend to update this mod. Sorry for the absence, but RL has been taking priority lately..
I hope to have a release out next week, but I (for now) will not be working on RPM internals. I do not have the time to commit to RPM props and configs; however, I am hoping that I will have a chance to work on that soon.

In the upcoming update I will be splitting the heat shield off to be a separate object, that way I can properly support re-entry heating. I have also started work on adding proper textures to the pod. I was debating about modeling some of the details directly into the mesh, but with the upcoming KSP 1.1 update including 64-bit support - I can worry less about textures taking up too much RAM. I will, of course, also be solving the node problems..

Despite not having to worry about texture sizes too much, I will probably offer high and low res textures for download (and possibly an ultra low res that will make the pod appear as it has been previously - no detail)...

Until I get the update out, please enjoy and offer opinions on these pics of tiling that I added to the pod. It is designed to be reminiscent of the tiling used on the Orion capsule..

2k9eBne.jpg

RtFUK2j.jpg

Edited by Yarbrough08

@davidy12: There are several parts that I would like to create - once I finish this one. I might like to create a separate crew cabin in the style of this capsule, but I am not really interested in making a 6-kerbal pod. That may change later, but the whole reason I created this pod was to fill the gap between 1 and 3 kerbal pods. Currently, there is not much need for more than 1 kerbal per pod; and on the few occasions I needed more than 1 (Apollo style Mun missions), I felt that the stock 3-kerbal pod was too small to accommodate the crew adequately - so I created this pod.

That being said, a crew cabin would fill the need for extra kerbals during those few occasions where more than 2 or 3 are needed: interplanetary missions, orbital stations, and ground stations - etc..

I'm glad that there is still interest in the project, thank you all for the compliments..

@MOARdv: I want a RPM setup for the pod (especially since I consider RPM vital to any KSP install), I can just never seem to find the time to implement a proper setup. Hopefully I can either find time to do it myself, or find someone willing to help me implement something. I recall you saying that you had used this craft in the past to test RPM builds, are you still helping to develop RPM?

I have finished splitting off the heat shield from the core capsule. The heat shield will contain the RCS modules as well as the propellant, but I am split on where to place the SAS. I will test the craft with SAS in the core capsule as well as in the heat shield to find out if there will be much of a difference balance-wise (or possibly a weaker version in both).

I also went ahead and re-modeled the airlock door, adding handles and removing the old latch-handle. I think it looks better, but I'm not 100% sure I like the handles sticking out away from the craft. However, it would look weird having a kerbal hang off of the capsule with nothing to hold on to.. I suppose an alternative would be to remove the ladder trigger, but I'm not sure I would want to do that anyway...

I also managed to fix an issue with the normal map that was visible in the previous pictures that I posted. It was actually a relatively small problem that took way too long to resolve, lol..

To wrap up, here are pics of the separated heat shield and module, as well as the new airlock..

QyYzqbX.jpg

mK1dWqs.jpg

Edited by Yarbrough08

Oh wow, this is the first I've seen of this and I really like it! Consider me a fan of both the tiled look and the RCS integrated into the heatshield.

I'd agree for sure with the "bevel the window edges" suggestion- a sharp corner on a window can lead to fatigue of the structure when under pressure, and lead to disaster- it killed a lot of people in the de Havilland Comet airliner back in the 50s. Also, it looks better. :wink:

If someone's doing an RPM config, I would ask that they look into giving it the "ASET treatment"- there's been a few pods that have gotten ALCOR-style IVAs, and they look [U]incredible[/U]. Check out the Mk1-2 pod: [url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129315-IVA-1-0-4-MK1-2-Pod-IVA-Replacement-by-ASET-%28WIP%29[/url]

A quick update and something I forgot to mention earlier:

I forgot to mention that I had changed the windows UV map and gave them a new texture (I want to add some dust/scratches to the texture though).

Also for those wanting the windows beveled (to which I agree), I started work on the front windows:

Pilots View:
dm9luis.jpg

Outside View - note that I also beveled the recess for the window:
RwRQQEx.jpg

I cannot bevel the window recesses anymore than I already have without compromising the model, and I do not have the time right now to completely remodel those sections of the capsule. I might come back and remodel it after the upcoming release..

Edited by Yarbrough08

[quote name='Yarbrough08']@MOARdv: I want a RPM setup for the pod (especially since I consider RPM vital to any KSP install), I can just never seem to find the time to implement a proper setup. Hopefully I can either find time to do it myself, or find someone willing to help me implement something. I recall you saying that you had used this craft in the past to test RPM builds, are you still helping to develop RPM?[/QUOTE]

I've been the primary developer of RPM for a year or so, so yeah, still helping develop. :) I've done IVA setups (see my sig for a Gemini capsule example), although I've been doing retro-style IVA recently since alexustas started working on analog gauges and early-era NASA instrumentation.

@MOARdV: That's wonderful, if you want to tackle this capsule feel free.. I have a few ideas myself, its just finding time to do it..

@DGatsby: Thank you, hopefully I can find more time to work on it.

I have rectified the broken parts: the broken node is now fixed, and the heatshield is split off and working properly with the stock reentry. I have also finalized the texture and normal map for most of the pod exterior (i.e. the white shell and the windows). The windows and window recesses have been somewhat beveled - although I will need to return to them at some point (perhaps to remodel them..). Those new windows have made it into the interior as well. Speaking of the interior; the upgrades I demo'd (new instrument panel, overhead panel, and handles) will make it into this release. I cleaned up the gauges for the new panel because I had them strewn about while I was working on RPM props. It feels kind of empty, but all of the gauges are there - and tons of buttons.. The interior needs a bit of work at a later point (TEXTURES!), but it is a continual WIP..

The cfg for both the heat shield and pod are pretty much complete. There are a few more things that I want to tidy up before releasing it, but it should not take long. I should have an update out either tonight or tomorrow...

Until then, I can show off the finalized window texture (as noted in a post above, with dust and scratches - really adds to the ambience/enviroment): one regular pic, one with light reflecting off of it (specular map), and one internal from the pilots POV. Also in the album are some photos I took during reentry testing. (I'll also note that reentry performance is a little better than the stock Mk 1-2 pod and heat shield)

Edited by Yarbrough08

[quote name='Yarbrough08']@MOARdV: That's wonderful, if you want to tackle this capsule feel free.. I have a few ideas myself, its just finding time to do it..[/QUOTE]

I hear you about finding time. Do you expect any IVA mesh changes after the upcoming 0.40 (particularly instrument panel changes)? I can get started on the interior with this WIP release if you can give me an idea which areas may be in flux. I can also give you feedback on what areas may need tweaks (if any).

[quote name='MOARdV']Do you expect any IVA mesh changes after the upcoming 0.40 (particularly instrument panel changes)? I can get started on the interior with this WIP release if you can give me an idea which areas may be in flux. I can also give you feedback on what areas may need tweaks (if any).

I want to remove the panels that flank the main instrument panel (what I call the main panels are the ones lined up with the windows). I have included notes on those panels to denote that they will be removed in the future (pics below..). I am fairly happy with the other panels, but of course I'm open to suggestions. I would like to hear what you think needs to be tweaked. I would like to replace the panels marked for removal with something that faces the kerbals more directly (those old panels just are not very useful at those angles).

Here are the photos showing the panels that I want to remove later (the notes will be in the release):

kIbTKdR.png

CwcGyJ8.png

On a side note, the only thing I have left to do is CKAN integration. I have not dealt with CKAN before so I need to read up on it first, but I will probably have the update ready sometime tonight..

Edited by Yarbrough08

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.