[WIP] [1.0.5] 2-Kerbal Command Pod [Mk. 1-1 A2] ( Alpha 0.4) {SpaceDock}

Yarbrough08

[quote name='Yarbrough08']I want to remove the panels that flank the main instrument panel (what I call the main panels are the ones lined up with the windows).[/QUOTE]

I'll steer clear of those. Putting panels that face the camera more squarely would definitely by an improvement. That's a problem I have with some IVA's I've played with - panels at such oblique angles they're hard to read, or hard to reach switches. I'll try to play around with it over the weekend and see if I have any definite feedback.

Looking pretty good.

The colors and textures could be adjusted to better match that of stock. It also looks too clean and perfect. It needs more character.

As of the shape and design of the exterior, It is beautiful.

It could definitely use some of the mod packs to improve it's IVA, especially RPM. However, I really like the idea of keeping a stock IVA avaiable.
Don't forget about the IVA widgets in the new stock space-plane cockpits. Those will definitely make designing a nice IVA easier.

I have released the update. Alpha 0.4 is out..

First and foremost, I want to point out that THE TEXTURES ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE POD DOWNLOAD.
I have uploaded and linked several texture packs for the pod. These packs contain the textures for the exterior (previously white) "shell," as well as the interior and exterior windows. The packs are divided up based off of the exterior shell texture size, and include:

Main Textures are the exterior shell's diffuse and normal map.
Size listed is for each texture..

Texture Pack 4096
-Main textures = 4096x4096
-Window textures = 512x512

Texture Pack 2048
-Main textures = 2048x2048

Texture Pack 1024
-Main textures = 1024x1024

Low Quality Texture Pack
(The Original Textures)
-Main textures = 4x4
-Window textures = 4x4

Mk. 1-1 A2 Download

I will upload some beauty shots to the OP as I can take them.

I am still working on CKAN integration, but am having some problems. Hopefully I will have it in there soon..

Updated to KSP 1.0.5
- Fixed an issue with the bottom attachment node
- Split the heat shield off to be a separate object to solve the issue with stock reentry heating
(performance is slightly better than the stock Mk 1-2 pod and heat shield)
- Added a texture and normal map for the outer shell of the pod
- Added textures for both the exterior and interior windows
- Remodeled most of the airlock - added handles for kerbals on EVA
- Added handle bars to the interior
- Included a remodeled instrument panel
- Rearranged gauges for the new panel and for future props (still a WIP)
- Various other tweaks that I probably forgot

NOTE:
AS NOTED ABOVE, TEXTURES ARE SEPERATE NOW! YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD A TEXTURE PACK!

I created high, medium, and low textures (both diffuse and normal map) for the pod exterior shell. I also am giving an ultra low choice that will make the pod appear as it was before - no detail.

Edited by Yarbrough08

Hhmmm... do I have enough memory to spare an entire 4096x4096 texture sheet for [I]one single command pod?

[SIZE=1]Absolutely![/SIZE]
[/I]
Really though, fun fact:
Whenever I first started playing KSP back in like 0.23.5, this was about the first mod I downloaded to test out mods. I was so happy to see such a detailed command pod.
And now? It's back, better than ever. Thanks a lot, dude.

[quote name='VenomousRequiem']Hhmmm... do I have enough memory to spare an entire 4096x4096 texture sheet for [I]one single command pod?

[SIZE=1]Absolutely![/SIZE]
[/I][/QUOTE]

I included that large texture for the future, and for those that just want it. I do actually recommend the 2048x2048 texture - difference in visual quality will not be noticed most of the time; however, the 1024x1024 texture is noticeably lower quality. I would recommend 1024x1024 texture though for installs with a lot of mods. The Ultra Low quality textures are literally only 4x4 pixels. I included it for those that like the old look or just absolutely cannot afford anymore RAM.

[quote name='Yarbrough08']I have released the update. Alpha 0.4 is out..[/QUOTE]

I have some feedback based on the config files. Feel free to apply the suggestions or not, since my opinions may be an outlier.

[LIST]
[*] Please rename the heatshield so that there's no whitespace. Module Manager, in particular, dislikes blank spaces in a name (or I don't know how to represent the whitespace for MM). Use a name like 'Mk1-1A2-HS' (instead of 'Mk1-1A2 HS').
[*] I would remove the electric charge and monopropellant from the heat shield. The pod already has electric charge, and I think the heatshield should contain only Ablator. Leaving the RCS thrusters in the heat shield part is just fine - just remove the extra resources.
[*] I'd reduce the monopropellant load (after putting it in the command pod) - the stock 3-man pod has 30. This pod has fewer crew, so 40 would be good for a 'big' on-board monoprop tank. A reentry capsule doesn't need a huge supply - that's what service modules are for. :)
[*] I'd reduce the electric charge in the pod. 250 feels way too high (or I'm not using the right mods to justify it :) ). I think 150 would be about right for a high-capacity system.
[/LIST]

Interior-wise, I really like the effects on the windows when in the 'look out the window' view - a little bit of streaking and residue, but not too much. I'll have some time over this long weekend to experiment with some IVA layouts - I can provide feedback here or in PM, as you prefer.

I like the texture work on the pod (using the 2k textures) - the normal map really makes the tiles stand out as something other than painted lines on the skin of the craft.

[quote name='MOARdV']I have some feedback based on the config files. Feel free to apply the suggestions or not, since my opinions may be an outlier.[/QUOTE]
I love feedback, especially since I do not play stock much (stock universe is just too small to me).

[QUOTE]
[*] Please rename the heatshield so that there's no whitespace. Module Manager, in particular, dislikes blank spaces in a name (or I don't know how to represent the whitespace for MM). Use a name like 'Mk1-1A2-HS' (instead of 'Mk1-1A2 HS').[/QUOTE]
Thanks you, that is a typo. I'll be renaming it to Mk1-1A2_HS.

[QUOTE]
[*] I would remove the electric charge and monopropellant from the heat shield. The pod already has electric charge, and I think the heatshield should contain only Ablator. Leaving the RCS thrusters in the heat shield part is just fine - just remove the extra resources.[/QUOTE]
Again another error on my part. When I swapped the SAS from the heat shield to the CP I meant to swap the electric charge too; however, after adding charge to the CP I forgot to delete the charge from the heat shield.
I am curious though; why move the monopropellant from the heat shield? Does it have to do with the way stock handles re-entry heating (mass?), or is there another reason?

[QUOTE]
[*] I'd reduce the monopropellant load (after putting it in the command pod) - the stock 3-man pod has 30. This pod has fewer crew, so 40 would be good for a 'big' on-board monoprop tank. A reentry capsule doesn't need a huge supply - that's what service modules are for. :)
[*] I'd reduce the electric charge in the pod. 250 feels way too high (or I'm not using the right mods to justify it :) ). I think 150 would be about right for a high-capacity system.
[/LIST][/QUOTE]
I definitely need feedback on stuff like this. My rationale for having 250 electric charge (back when I first released it) was to maintain control through reentry in RSS sized KSP. I could lower the value for stock though and provide a MM patch for those with RSS, 6.4x, 10x, etc..

[QUOTE]
Interior-wise, I really like the effects on the windows when in the 'look out the window' view - a little bit of streaking and residue, but not too much. I'll have some time over this long weekend to experiment with some IVA layouts - I can provide feedback here or in PM, as you prefer.[/QUOTE]
After testing it more, I find that the interior windows may suffer from a little too much specular reflection. Not sure what I will do about it, need to review it some more.
As for the feedback, you can send me a PM or just post it here - its just at your discretion.

[quote name='Yarbrough08']I am curious though; why move the monopropellant from the heat shield? Does it have to do with the way stock handles re-entry heating (mass?), or is there another reason? [/quote]

Two reasons - one, visually, where would the monopropellant fit in the part? Looking at the size of the stock 40 unit mono tanks - this heat shield isn't significantly larger than a stock 2.5m tank, so where'd the fuel go? The capsule has plenty of room (and it fits the existing precedent where most command pods have monoprop). Two, I think the heat shield should be specifically focused on reentry. The RCS thrusters are used for reentry (historically) as well, so they fit in with the purpose, but fuel doesn't seem right. Third, (okay, three reasons, not two), putting it in the command pod allows it to be available if the pod is used without the heat shield.

[quote name='Yarbrough08']I definitely need feedback on stuff like this. My rationale for having 250 electric charge (back when I first released it) was to maintain control through reentry in RSS sized KSP. I could lower the value for stock though and provide a MM patch for those with RSS, 6.4x, 10x, etc..[/quote]

The electric charge was more of a "well, it seems high compared to stock". It's not that big of a deal, since changing the charge amount has no effect on craft balance or mass. The monopropellant is more of a "that is a lot of monopropellant - you don't need that much for reentry". Actually, the reaction wheels and balance on this pod are good enough that I really don't use any monopropellant on reentry, and my service module parts have more than enough for rendezvous, so I tend to leave this capsule nearly empty.

Again, just my impressions, and my play style might not fit typical play style, so maybe larger quantities are appropriate (nothing prevents me from leaving tanks partially empty in the VAB, after all).

[quote name='MOARdV']Two reasons - <[I]snip[/I]>[/QUOTE]
All valid points, thanks for pointing them out. I'll put the propellant into the CP..

[QUOTE]The monopropellant is more of a "that is a lot of monopropellant - you don't need that much for reentry". Actually, the reaction wheels and balance on this pod are good enough that I really don't use any monopropellant on reentry, and my service module parts have more than enough for rendezvous, so I tend to leave this capsule nearly empty.[/QUOTE]
The values from the propellant are from back when RCS burned through it faster. I will probably lighten the load, although I will probably not go below 50. Actually I will probably use 50 :cool:

[HR][/HR]
For those looking for word on CKAN integration, I have created the .ntekan files and submitted a pull request with them. I changes the textures' zip files eliminating the readme in those files to be compatible with CKAN. There is no need to update them if you have manually installed the mod as the textures did not actually change. I have tested the netkan files and managed to install the mod that way; however, we will have to wait until the pull request is approved on the CKAN side of things.

I played around with the IVA enough to get something flyable:

GMJ5fa.jpg

Some additional feedback: The dark color for the control panels works *very well* with the ASET Props - notice the switches on the right that have glowing white labels?  They are unreadable with the medium/light gray that's typically used on IVA.  Please don't lighten that color.  I added some panels from the ASET props pack to let me place the SAS control buttons on the left with enough tilt to make them readable.  You can't see it in this shot, but there are also MechJeb buttons farther to the left/aft.  There's room for at least one more screen below the FDAI in the center, so plenty of room for glass in addition to the cool instruments you see here.  The right seat is mostly unoccupied - I've added controls to set MechJeb's launch inclination, launch altitude, and to change Ap, Pe, circular altitude, and the like, but it's still mostly empty.

One question I have: what is the name of the transform used for the interior lights?  The overhead lighting switch currently doesn't do anything, since I don't have that name.  The light doesn't seem to provide much illumination on the panels, but it'd still be nice to make that switch functional.  The only other thing missing is some sort of lamp that's set up to illuminate the control panels, since most of this would be impossible to read if I turned off the panel backlights.  If you do add a panel spotlight, please give it a different transform name than the current lights, so there can be two switches for interior lighting. I have one blank spot pnm the center 6x4 switch panel to fill. :) 

@MOARdV: That looks great, I cannot wait to see the end result. If there are any changes that are needed to accommodate instrumentation, let me know.  Also, I had not planned on changing the color of the panels - so that works out well...

The light transforms are currently named "Point light" (I know, very original). I can create a couple panel spot lights to help with readability, I have to ask though, considering your experience with the props; should I create light maps with them, or will they clash with the props (considering the props would not have any)?

Edited by Yarbrough08

@Yarbrough08 : The light transforms are currently named "Point light" (I know, very original). I can create a couple panel spot lights to help with readability, I have to ask though, considering your experience with the props; should I create light maps with them, or will they clash with the props (considering the props would not have any)?

I don't think lightmaps would be advisable.  As long as the lights are actual point lights (or spotlights, even better), I think the 'natural' effect of the lighting will be sufficient.  Let me do a little more checking around - I think alexustas has made placeable props that project light, so I may be able to experiment with those a little bit.  I know I'd like to have a dimmable light, or a red light, but I may need to make changes to RPM to support that with lights that are part of the IVA model.

@MOARdV: No problem, I'm starting work on texturing the interior anyway. I'm adding a white Kevlar texture to the white sections of the interior.

If I wind up missing from the forum for a few days (a week probably) - it will be because I am waiting on a new power supply. The old one that I have is dying on me. I just installed a new CPU tower cooler (a Cryorig H7), only to find that my PSU is beginning to fail. Sometimes my computer feels like an endless project...

Anyway, if it dies I'll try to keep in touch through mobile, but I will be unable to work on the capsule until a new one arrives. I am ordering a new PSU soon though, so I hope that will not be an issue.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2015‎ ‎7‎:‎05‎:‎53‎, Yarbrough08 said:

I definitely need feedback on stuff like this. My rationale for having 250 electric charge (back when I first released it) was to maintain control through reentry in RSS sized KSP. I could lower the value for stock though and provide a MM patch for those with RSS, 6.4x, 10x, etc..

An RSS or even more preferably a RO config would be splendid (RO really needs more 2Kerb pods, come to think of it...everyone needs more 2Kerb pods)

From what I remember and I could be wrong, but did this pod have RPM screens in them? If you did, they are now gone when the new RPM update came out. If they didn't, disregard this post and I'll fly happy. Btw, I'm loving the way this pod looks. I love near-nasa looking parts! Some may disagree with me, but stock is okay for some things, but when you want to recreate something in a space agency sort of way, parts like these fit the bill. 

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎31‎:‎00‎, Revenant503 said:

An RSS or even more preferably a RO config would be splendid (RO really needs more 2Kerb pods, come to think of it...everyone needs more 2Kerb pods)

I would like to create a RO MM patch, I will try to create one when I work on the heat shield configs for mods such as 10x kerbal..

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎58‎:‎37‎, lynwoodm said:

From what I remember and I could be wrong, but did this pod have RPM screens in them? If you did, they are now gone when the new RPM update came out. If they didn't, disregard this post and I'll fly happy. Btw, I'm loving the way this pod looks. I love near-nasa looking parts! Some may disagree with me, but stock is okay for some things, but when you want to recreate something in a space agency sort of way, parts like these fit the bill. 

I have old development pics up that showcased a couple RPM monitors, but they never made it into production..

My power supply has been throwing a fit lately, so I will have to halt development until a new power supply arrives. I will be ordering a new one either later today or tomorrow.

New power supply has arrived and is installed, I will be resuming development :)

When I had stopped I had removed the side panels that I had marked, and had started work on texturing part of the interior walls. I shall continue on course...

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Yagami007 said:

How is development going? I Love the design of this capsule. I've been looking for so long for a nice looking capsule to use.

I have slowed development a bit while we wait for version 1.1... I want the next release to be a full official release..

In the mean time, I have textured parts of the interior as I was mentioning that I was doing before (the "Kevlar" texture). I have also removed the panels that flanked the main instrument panel, and brainstormed a few ideas for props to liven up the interior (so that it will not look so empty).

Other than that, I have taken some time to play the game (along with some Fallout). I am really interested to see if any changes will need to be made with the move to Unity 5 - I remember reading a while back that some of the shaders had to be reworked or rewritten (hopefully there will be little to no change needed for the mod)..

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that KerbalStuff has collapsed (or rather that it is no longer being maintained). I will have ckan updated and a new manual download link added within a couple days..

I hate the fact that we lost KerbalStuff, it was the perfect mod repository. I never wanted to use Curse myself, and as an uploader KerbalStuff was a great tool to leverage. I am saddened by the loss..

Edited by Yarbrough08

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.