[Retired] Multipurpose Colony Modules for MKS/OKS (0.4.5)

Angelo Kerman

@Lechuza - that's the beauty of permissive licensing :) I think it's awesome when people can extend and mash-up stuff.

It does require MKS/OKS to function.

@Angel-123 - a consideration would be (for your mod) to use an MM confing to weed out the default OKS/MKS parts if you don't already do so, so that folks are not swamped with extra goodies.

@Lechuza - that's the beauty of permissive licensing :) I think it's awesome when people can extend and mash-up stuff.

@Angel-123 - a consideration would be (for your mod) to use an MM confing to weed out the default OKS/MKS parts if you don't already do so, so that folks are not swamped with extra goodies.

Yeah, I was thinking of how to do that, actually. It would be a shame to hide all the models you did though, and I do have config files for a generic MKS and generic OKS module, so once I get done with the models I want to build, I can add some optional configs to hide the classic parts except for a few converted to multipurpose. The trick for me is to find out what the names of the logo panels are for the storage drums, the inflatable logistics module, and the inflatable orbital storage module. I know it's possible, it's just a matter of having enough time- unlike RoverDude, I require sleep despite my insomnia. :)

Anyway, my current roadmap for Multipurpose Colony Modules looks like this:

Skydock 250 & Rocket Parts storage template - EPL support (will be compatible with RoverDude's vision of EPL once released, with optional config for classic EPL). Skydock 250 is the pathfinder for building an orbital construction yard and designed to fit the 2.5-meter form factor when stowed. The Skydock 375 and Skydock 500 will be follow-on products.

Homestead - Inflatable Multipurpose Colony Module (think BA-330, configurable as a colony module or massive storage unit, orbit only). I want to make this:

SkyRanchII.jpg

but in KSP fashion. :) For the curious, this is from my Contact Lost art page.

Ponderosa - Similar to the NASA inflatable lunar habitat. Think of Porkjet's fabulous F.L.A.T. (which I think was inspired by NASA's design) but with multipurpose, compact enough to be folded up into a box that can be attached to a spacecraft's sides and carried via EVA. (No, I am not using Porkjet's models.) Just pack it up, pile it onto a PackRat, drive around, haul it to the ground, and inflate it. Configure it how you like and then add Machinery. It's my solution to the problem of how to move modules to a colony site, because I suck at building cranes worth a damn. This will be an advanced module that's available in the Meta-Materials node, so very late game.

PackRat attachments - If I can figure it out, I want to make PackRat rover extensions that basically let you attach the rover frame to the MBU and drive the module to where you want it.

I have to say I like the looks a lot more than MKS/OKS parts, they seem to fit the game a lot better and have that stocklike feel.

Do I need MKS/OKS for this to function?

Glad you like the look. :) RoverDude's licensing lets me make a variant of MKS/OKS that attempts to emulate the look of stock parts while fitting within the KSOS shuttle's payload bay- and for that matter, the upcoming MK3 revamped parts. By the same token, RoverDude and others can roll changes he likes into the core MKS/OKS or other mods because I use the same licensing. It's not only required, it's a dang good idea.

Edited by Angel-125

I realize I may have come across as dismissive of your work, I just wanted to be clear it is quite the contrary. It is the go to mod for colonization after all. I am a sucker for all mods that have that stockalike feel or look and that's what caught my eye when I saw the screens here.

While I am at it, I wanted to thank you both for all the work that you've put into these amazing mods!

Weird things happen. I'm further in my gameplay so i tried to switch to my mun base... dang! I've uploaded the new log here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/byeh9pg50gfnsf1/AABfuVWRdhsE9zJ7AC4VtZ9sa?dl=0

1. First NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object is after setup joints .... !gotOrig - don't know what that means, but if there is a problem with connection it might be related

2. An Error occurs in different ways with RedecorateModule

MKSStorageController [FFF1F330][189.8600]: RedecorateModule encountered an ERROR: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

at WildBlueIndustries.TemplatesModel.get_Item (Int64 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WildBlueIndustries.WBIResourceSwitcher.RedecorateModule (Boolean payForRedecoration, Boolean loadTemplateResources) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

MKSStorageController [FFF1D9D2][189.8609]: RedecorateModule encountered an ERROR: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ConfigNode].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WildBlueIndustries.WBIResourceSwitcher.updateDecalsFromTemplate (.ConfigNode mksTemplate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WildBlueIndustries.WBIResourceSwitcher.RedecorateModule (Boolean payForRedecoration, Boolean loadTemplateResources) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Perhaps I'll have to delete the base in my savegame and build it again...

I've been testing all day, cleaning my install/gamedata folder and savegame. Then I realized, that there are some disconnected modules landed at Minmus waiting for base construction. Switching to them shows the issue clearly and now my logfile can be read easily. I've uploaded all to dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/byeh9pg50gfnsf1/AABfuVWRdhsE9zJ7AC4VtZ9sa?dl=0 (Savegame, Gamedata, Log). The issue is related to the joint between MBU and MCM only, ass the Minmus MCMs aren't neither connected to each other nor heavily connected to the ground. I'm using the latest release. All mods have been updated useless stuff (atm) was deleted.

Besides the decal thing following code occurs:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at PartJoint.SetupJoint (Vector3 jointPos, Vector3 jointOrt, Vector3 jointOrt2, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartJoint.create (.Part child, .Part parent, UnityEngine.Transform nodeSpace, Vector3 nodePos, Vector3 nodeOrt, Vector3 nodeOrt2, Int32 nodeSize, AttachModes mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartJoint.Create (.Part owner, .Part parent, .AttachNode nodeToParent, .AttachNode nodeFromParent, AttachModes mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.CreateAttachJoint (AttachModes mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+
.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

So I hope this helps for further investigation...

Edited by funk

I appreciate the testing. :) I'll look at the logs and such and see what's going on. It may be something to do with re-exporting the new MBU model has caused problems. What if you use the latest 0.2.0 to build a new base (temporarily), do you have the same issues?

Those inflatable warehouses look perfect for a mining colony. Do they attach and work just like the habitation dome? Also, what are their storage capacities?

Will definitely download and try this mod out when I get home.

Those inflatable warehouses look perfect for a mining colony. Do they attach and work just like the habitation dome? Also, what are their storage capacities?

Will definitely download and try this mod out when I get home.

Glad you like them. :) The inflatable warehouses attach just like the habitation domes. The storage capacity templates are based upon the classic MKS storage drum (which I'll make a multipurpose version of for earlier in the tech tree). For the inflatable warehouse, it stores four times the resources of the drum. By contrast, the MBU stores 35% of the storage drum.

Hi Angel, after further testing (cleaning mks out of my savegame etc.), I can replicate the bug now, with latest releases of MKS and your mod installed only. Checked my install of KSP via Steam, too.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

As always, you can find the Craft-file, Log and reduced gamedata folder here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/byeh9pg50gfnsf1/AABfuVWRdhsE9zJ7AC4VtZ9sa?dl=0

Steps to reproduce:

1. Go to VAB, load Base Crane new and launch it.

2. Select "Revert flight" and "Revert to Launch"... Dang!

At the first launch the craft is ok, but revert to launch shows the known abnormal behaviour. Replacing the MBU with another stock part or original MKS Integrated Module Base works fine.

Edit: It seems to affect the joint between the first and second part attached at a node (surface attachment isn't affected). If nothing is attached to top node MBU stays above the ground... (pictures added)

Edited by funk

Very cool, thank you for figuring this out. I appreciate the time you've taken to find this issue. I've been puzzling over this one. I will give this a try with the latest MBU and the one from 0.1.3. I think it might have something to do with how 3DS MAX exports animations but I'm not sure. I know that the original MKS/OKS parts use Blender, which might make a difference.

Meanwhile, there's a new version of Multipurpose Colony Modules available:

Me4jXlf.png

0.2.5: Fixed a template issue preventing the Equipment storage template from working. Fixed a problem that prevented the Inflatable Multipurpose Warehouse (IMW) from remembering if it was inflated or deflated. Fixed a problem with the IMW that prevented it from remembering its max storage amounts when the scene loads. Fixed an issue where the MCM would not know what templates it had after loading into a scene. Added Rocket Workshop MCM template and RocketParts MBU/IMW templates. Added Skydock 250 part.

As always, the latest version is available on the front page, but you can also download it here.

Important note: I'm not sure if its an issue with the Skydock or with EPL, but if you release a vessel and then immediately jump away from the scene to another craft, and then switch back to the dock, there's a chance that the dock will explode. As a workaround, once you release the vessel, take measures to move the vessel out of the dock.

Also note: The Skydock 250 is just the first in the series. I plan to build the larger Skydock 375 and Skydock 500 once I sort through the MBU issues.

Edited by Angel-125

Questions

1. What exactly from extra planetary launch pad that the new parts is depended on? I am trying to cut down my memory use as much as I can, and I afraid I might go over the limit with EL, so I might just grab the bare minimum requirement for the new parts to function.

2. Do you plan to create more parts related to EL functionality? I haven't got EL in the beginning because I found the models to be a bit lacking to my taste, but I really like how your parts looks(I am all about aesthetic over functionality). I might actually try to find space to fit in EL with your parts.

3. Not really a question, but an idea: What do you think about allowing the Skydock to also couple as a recycler from EL, and can be switched between two modes - one for constructing and one for deconstructing? It will also be multi purpose then, just like the rest of your parts and save part count (also make it much more useful than the EL orbital launch pad despite the size limit). There would be safeguards, of course, like not allowing people to switch on deconstruct mode right after creating one until the vehicle is cleared from the dock, for example.

Love the look of the sky dock, by the way. Can't wait to try it as soon as I have time off work.

Edited by RainDreamer

Questions

1. What exactly from extra planetary launch pad that the new parts is depended on? I am trying to cut down my memory use as much as I can, and I afraid I might go over the limit with EL, so I might just grab the bare minimum requirement for the new parts to function.

2. Do you plan to create more parts related to EL functionality? I haven't got EL in the beginning because I found the models to be a bit lacking to my taste, but I really like how your parts looks(I am all about aesthetic over functionality). I might actually try to find space to fit in EL with your parts.

3. Not really a question, but an idea: What do you think about allowing the Skydock to also couple as a recycler from EL, and can be switched between two modes - one for constructing and one for deconstructing? It will also be multi purpose then, just like the rest of your parts and save part count (also make it much more useful than the EL orbital launch pad despite the size limit). There would be safeguards, of course, like not allowing people to switch on deconstruct mode right after creating one until the vehicle is cleared from the dock, for example.

Love the look of the sky dock, by the way. Can't wait to try it as soon as I have time off work.

glad you like the mod :) currently, Multipurpose Colony Modules provides storage for RocketParts, a workshop that builds RocketParts as well as turn ScrapMetal into Metal, and the Skydock for building new vessels. EPL has parts that turn ore into metal, which is handled by the MKS/OKS Refinery. Multipurpose Colony Modules lacks orbital storage containers for RocketParts but that is on my list. MCM currently does not have a recycling bin, but I like your suggestion of making the docks support the scrapping of vessels. That makes total sense, great idea! I do not know how to use the recycling bin so if you have pointers, I'd appreciate them. :) once I understand the mechanics I can make the Skydocks build as well as tear apart vessels. Also, MCM lacks a ground-based launchpad and a runway. I think the survey stakes and survey module fit the bill, but I may study the survey module and build an MCM template for it. I haven't used the survey stakes yet either. I'll put that on my list.

to make sure I answered your first question, MCM depends upon the module code from EPL, but none of the parts except for the survey stakes and the RocketParts storage containers. Those containers won't be needed after the next major update.

first I need to figure out the MBU bugs though...

Edited by Angel-125

first I need to figure out the MBU bugs though...

I'm not sure, but the bug might be related to ground contact error. In case of my log for the first launch it says 0.050m for reverting it says 0.038m. This somehow causes joint to break... see http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/1606

I've added a RemoteTech config file to my dropbox you can use and implement if you like. I will look after DRE and FAR soon and will upload them too.

For further development, it would be nice to have a stand-alone download pack, because I like your intention for having fewer parts and it is hard to know, which parts of Roverdudes pack could be deleted.

Edited by funk

I'm not sure, but the bug might be related to ground contact error. In case of my log for the first launch it says 0.050m for reverting it says 0.038m. This somehow causes joint to break... see http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/1606

I've added a RemoteTech config file to my dropbox you can use and implement if you like. I will look after DRE and FAR soon and will upload them too.

For further development, it would be nice to have a stand-alone download pack, because I like your intention for having fewer parts and it is hard to know, which parts of Roverdudes pack could be deleted.

Cool beans. :) I will be adding optional MM configs to hide the parts from OKS/MKS for the main version and I believe the license is permissive enough to have a stand alone version that only includes what I need from MKS/OKS and will not have the rest. That also goes on my list. I need to finish up the parts and debug them first. :) Only concern would be that people may get confused about missing files, and I'm sure RoverDude would like to keep the OKS/MKS intact to reduce support errors..

Edited by Angel-125

Lol! Sorry about that, I am on an iPad with auto-correct. Absolutely I'll have the credits. My initial thought to save me some headaches is to provide directions on what to delete if so inclined. Personally though I like the original models and want to make generic multipurpose versions of them. :)

I am pleased to say that the Skydock now has the capability to scrap vessels that fly into it. :) The procedure is quite simple: with the skydock extended, right-click on the dock and select "Activate Recycler." Then, fly a ship into the dock's gaping maw. About halfway in, the vessel will be scrapped. I didn't have to do anything special to make this happen except add a trigger to the mesh.

Thanks for the suggestion, RainDreamer. :)

Important Note: EL's modules are out of my control, so be sure to turn off the recycler if you build new vessels with the Skydock. If things look good enough, I'll go ahead and build the Skydock 375 and Skydock 500.

Edit: I just found the EL module that handles the survey station. Tonight I'll work up some decals and an MCM template to turn a Multipurpose Colony Module into a survey station. :)

Edited by Angel-125

Oh wow, that is fast. I am still trying to figure out how to get EL working. XD Thanks for the quick update.

Sure thing. I can do small updates during the week and this one was a small update. Adding a survey station template should be pretty quick too. Making the Skydock 375 and 500 are bigger projects- setting up the lights is the most tedious part- and redoing the MBU animation will have to wait for the weekend.

Here's what I worked on tonight:

iauEynM.png

It isn't done yet, I still have to animate the hoops. I also revamped the module decals and created the survey module that replaces the survey module that comes with EL. You'll use the survey stakes with the survey module just as you do in EL. I have to do some testing to make sure the template works properly. 42 meters ought to be enough for most purposes...

Edited by Angel-125

Spotted a serious bug:

title = Asteroid Grabbing Device 
manufacturer = Wild Blue Industries
description = An accessory for the Multipurpose Base Unit, this device is designed to latch onto asteroids like a koala bear hugging a tree. No koala bears were harmed during the creation of "The Foot" despite what the media says.

The koala (Phascolarctos cinereus or, inaccurately, koala bear) is an arboreal herbivorous marsupial native to Australia. It is the only extant representative of the family Phascolarctidae, and its closest living relatives are the wombats.

Koala - From Wikipedia

Although you are correct by saying "No koala bears were harmed" because they do not exist (although I suppose anything is possible on the planet Kerbin - bears with pouches for rocket testing)!

:D

Anyways, on a not so cheesy note... I attempted installing MCM very early on (possibly the moment it was mentioned in the MKS/OKS thread) but had a few problems with my game breaking (possibly unrelated to this mod).

So after seeing the inflatable SkyDock (and after recently starting a new and very stable game), here I am again - good to see it progressing nicely - thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.