[Retired] Multipurpose Colony Modules for MKS/OKS (0.4.5)

Angelo Kerman

Spotted a serious bug:

title = Asteroid Grabbing Device 
manufacturer = Wild Blue Industries
description = An accessory for the Multipurpose Base Unit, this device is designed to latch onto asteroids like a koala bear hugging a tree. No koala bears were harmed during the creation of "The Foot" despite what the media says.

Although you are correct by saying "No koala bears were harmed" because they do not exist (although I suppose anything is possible on the planet Kerbin - bears with pouches for rocket testing)!

:D

Anyways, on a not so cheesy note... I attempted installing MCM very early on (possibly the moment it was mentioned in the MKS/OKS thread) but had a few problems with my game breaking (possibly unrelated to this mod).

So after seeing the inflatable SkyDock (and after recently starting a new and very stable game), here I am again - good to see it progressing nicely - thanks!

Well it is Kerbal Space Program, so you never know if there are actual bears that hang around in trees and do stuff. :) Sorry to hear you had problems, I've been slowly working through several issues to make the mod solid, enough so that I'm delaying finishing my Nuclear Engines mod until Multipurpose Colony Modules is done and as bug free as I can get it. My goal is to have it done before the new year (it won't be done before 0.9.0 but I will be patching the code to work with it ASAP). I still need to fix the MBU's animation, but that will have to wait until the weekend. It's a little tough because while I'm delighted to be working again, it's a tough job that requires a lot of brain power. Hence the reason major updates happen on the weekends.

Apparently the skydock doesn't have a tech node to it and I couldn't found it in my career save. Minor and easily fixed though. Poked around a bit with config and assigned it a node.

Interesting. There should be a ModuleManager config in the part for skydock that looks like this:

PART[WBI_Skydock250]:NEEDS[ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads]

{

@techRequired = advMetalworks

}

I tested it in career and at least for me it didn't show up as expected if I didn't have EL installed. Maybe I'll just fix the node and figure that if you don't have EL installed, you'll have a nice decorative place to park your ships.

Edited by Angel-125

Huh, might be problems with me trying to shave off EL parts then. Though I only touched the part folder and not the other folders. Curious. Might explains why I am having so much problem figuring if things are working or not. Will try with full EL.

Once I get all done with the models and such, one thing I want to do is create batch files that will go in and delete the parts/textures you don't need from EL and from MKS/OKS. They will be optional files to run if you want to clean up your directories and save a bit of memory. I like that solution better than a stand-alone that bundles everything, TBH. So what you'd do is install MKS/OKS, install EL, install Multipurpose Colony Modules, and then optionally run the batch files to clean out unwanted parts, meshes, and textures.

when i first saw this mod pop up i thought it was some shortcut hack of roverdude's work - i judged a book by it's cover, i apologize - playing now with this mod i'm quite impressed how much integration you've done, dynamically switching textures, switching models, high level part config changes, its all awesome stuff man, i'm thoroughly impressed

like some other guys have said the skydock def doestn't recognize the install of EL, are you sure you can throw MM config lines right in the part config - or perhaps you need to have an AFTER statement to ensure that EL loads first

also another issue, can anyone get the floodlights to work on any parts?

when i first saw this mod pop up i thought it was some shortcut hack of roverdude's work - i judged a book by it's cover, i apologize - playing now with this mod i'm quite impressed how much integration you've done, dynamically switching textures, switching models, high level part config changes, its all awesome stuff man, i'm thoroughly impressed

like some other guys have said the skydock def doestn't recognize the install of EL, are you sure you can throw MM config lines right in the part config - or perhaps you need to have an AFTER statement to ensure that EL loads first

also another issue, can anyone get the floodlights to work on any parts?

Thanks, glad you like the mod. :) It's still a work in progress, and I'm still working out the bugs. I'm also eating my own dog food too as I see what challenges there are to setting up a base (module placement, for one). And doing so has given me some ideas for modules higher up in the tech tree.

Here's a for instance:

MSrWfHg.png

This is the upcoming Multipurpose Storage Module (MSM), which is akin to the classic storage drum. It's smaller size is made up for by the fact that you can reconfigure it. The mechanics aren't in place yet but you'll be able to reconfigure the stuff it stores while out in the field so long as you empty it first. There will be a button that lets you do that. It shows up in the tech tree when the MCM does. Later on you'll get the MBU, which doesn't hold as much as the MSM, and doesn't let you reconfigure it until much later in the tech tree, but you get landing legs. Even further out you'll get a large inflatable module (I haven't built it yet) that supports both storage and colony module types. At this point the MCM can be reconfigured in the field too. You 'll also get the IMW, and the reconfigurable MBU will be unlocked. Eventually you'll get the Skydock 250, and at the top of the tech chain, you'll get the Skydock 375 and the Ponderosa Inflatable Multipurpose Colony Module. There might be other parts too that are designed to help you set up a colony (I'm slowly pondering through how to attach the PackRat rover system to the MBU), but that's the basic gist of where I'm going with this...

Next release will not use a MM config on the Skydock and without EL, it'll just be a decorative piece. Floodlights is a known issue I'm still figuring out. It has to do with Unity and the way I set up the lights. I'm also still working on the animation issues with the MBU- it's proving to be a real pain...

Edited by Angel-125

@funk:

Thanks again for doing some research on this tricky issue. I took a look this weekend and tried various animation tests. Some were pretty amusing, like watching the MBU pull away from the MCM. :) Anyway, I did some tests with the classic base unit and found that if I start with the legs retracted, it too hovers above the ground for a bit until physics kicks in:

WNLz7uB.png

I think that it is a quirk of KSP/Unity.

Also, I tried to replicate your problem with your sample craft files and a recompiled MBU. So far I haven't had issues. Here you can find the recompiled MBU model as well as a craft file similar to your crane. One things I did differently: I did not use the MBU as the root part. I'm curious to know what happens if you don't use the MBU/MCM as root parts; do you still have issues?

Thanks again for helping me root out this problem! :)

FYI - when doing your update just be aware that some of the modules are large/unwieldy for balance reasons. i.e. making the new MK-III's fit in a small can would kinda violate the spirit of the mod you're extending (like when people put a science lab in a radial part the size of a goo can :D)

Thanks!

FYI - when doing your update just be aware that some of the modules are large/unwieldy for balance reasons. i.e. making the new MK-III's fit in a small can would kinda violate the spirit of the mod you're extending (like when people put a science lab in a radial part the size of a goo can :D)

Thanks!

Very much appreciated, thank you sir! :) I just took a quick look before I head out to work (so nice to say that after beind laid off for a year, which is typical even for engineers in the Silicon Valley). Thank you for keeping the KolonyConverter and MKSModule modules, that makes life much easier since I use reflection to find the modules. I will definitely take notice of the new MK-IIIs and see what has changed in the converters. I may have to adjust the templates to reflect their smaller size. The Homestead will be a large module so it could make use of the MK-III values- with the challenge being it's designed for orbital operations and could be a challenge to land. And it makes sense for the Machinery Plant to make RocketParts- I'll have to modify the rocket workshop template into the EL survey station, but that's an easy change. :)

Thanks again for making such a great mod, Multipurpose Colony Modules wouldn't exist without your dedicated work forming the foundation. :)

Edited by Angel-125

I am most definitely brain dead from the end of the year crunch. Spent the day resolving code merge issues at work... I'm hoping by this weekend at the latest I'll have an update, if only to recompile. Preliminary investigations suggest it won't be too much to update to the latest MKS/OKS. :)

Edited by Angel-125

Awesome work you've done here! First time ive noticed this mod =) looking foward to giving it a spin when its updated (been addicted to MKS for forever)

Out of curiosity. Would you ever consider making the space dock available as a stand-alone download?

Glad you like it. :) I'm in the process of sorting out the changes and I've just come up with a way to modify the efficiency on the MCM templates to reflect their smaller sizes compared to the new MK3 modules. Work is kicking my butt so updating the mod is taking a bit but I hope to have something by the weekend.

I hadn't considered releasing the Skydocks as a stand-alone download, but I can post in the EL thread and see if others are interested too. If there is then I can create a stand-alone mod just for EL that would include the docks, and perhaps a dedicated rocket workshop based on the MCM as well as RocketParts tank based on the upcoming MSM if people want that too.

Quick update: Despite the crunch time at work, I'm making progress converting MCM over to the new MKS/OKS system. Some fields changed and I'm hunting them down, and I am trying some ideas to limit production on the fabrication, refinery, machinery, and fuel refinery modules to reflect the MCM's smaller size. I think I should have an update this weekend. :)

Bear in mind they are large not because of their output, but because of the physical space manufacturing and refining take. You can't build an automobile using a 3D printer ;) The other modules solve this by the use of efficiency parts (hab rings, greenhouses, etc).

Bear in mind they are large not because of their output, but because of the physical space manufacturing and refining take. You can't build an automobile using a 3D printer ;) The other modules solve this by the use of efficiency parts (hab rings, greenhouses, etc).

Ah ok, so limiting output isn't the right approach to keep with the spirit of MKS/OKS... sounds like I need to create an efficiency part, like an inflatable workshop. Thanks for the info. :)

Now if I can just figure out how to pull the status field and converter name from the new fields.. :)

Edited by Angel-125

Ah ok, so limiting output isn't the right approach to keep with the spirit of MKS/OKS... sounds like I need to create an efficiency part, like an inflatable workshop. Thanks for the info. :)

Now if I can just figure out how to pull the status field and converter name from the new fields.. :)

How about splitting the function over 2 MCMs that need to be connected. At a glance that would give the same volume. I am of course clueless if that is even possible. (With regolith I think it should be possible to define intermediate resources and split them up like so but that sounds like a pain)

How about splitting the function over 2 MCMs that need to be connected. At a glance that would give the same volume. I am of course clueless if that is even possible. (With regolith I think it should be possible to define intermediate resources and split them up like so but that sounds like a pain)

Well, I vaguely recall that RoverDude was originally thinking iof using efficiency parts for the manufacturing modules. Interesting idea, but I get the gist of RoverDude's vision of needing enough physical space in one unit. Tooling machines can be big for instance. So making an infatable efficiency part makes sense. I am thinking that the IMW could be an efficiency part too if configured with the right template. That would save texture space, but maybe a different module design could work...

@RoverDude: Once again Sir, you rock! I just got done refactoring my code, and it went pretty smoothly. I've now got KolonyConverters working properly with the new revision. Now I just need to make a multipurpose efficiency part for the manufacturing modules, something like this from NASA:

100713_space_habitat_2.grid-4x2.jpg

It's a prototype lunar habitat.

I could put together a build tomorrow if people are dying for an update, but it would not have the Skydock 375 and the efficiency part. So if all y'all are willing to wait a few more days I'll have the update done with new goodies too.

Work is progressing nicely. I'm just about finished with the refactoring, and have introduced a new part:

VYAEZWQ.png

The Inflatable Multipurpose Extension Module provides the needed space for the Refinery, Fuel Refinery, Fabricator, Repair Shop, and Machinery Plant. It also doubles as a dormitory.

Now I just need to finish up the Skydock 375, and the update will be done. :)

Edited by Angel-125

@RoverDude: Say, any chance I could convince you to make the GetEfficiencyRate() in MKSModules a virtual function? That would really help! Specifically, I am looking for a way to have one efficiency part that is configured for, say, machinery, but only count as a machinery plant's efficiency part when specifically configured as such. Plus, when in the orbital configuration, I can change, say, the kerbitat template to use that fabulous orbiting ring of yours. :)

Edited by Angel-125

So - sorry if this is a silly question, I *think* I know the answer but haven't played enough (yet!) with MKS and your mod to understand fully. Does yours essentially condense all of the MKS parts of a particular kind (base, modules, storage stuff) into one part in the VAB? Are there any resulting RAM savings, by chance - I mean, assuming all of the MKS parts effectively can be deleted as a result...?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.