[Retired] Multipurpose Colony Modules for MKS/OKS (0.4.5)

Angelo Kerman

So - sorry if this is a silly question, I *think* I know the answer but haven't played enough (yet!) with MKS and your mod to understand fully. Does yours essentially condense all of the MKS parts of a particular kind (base, modules, storage stuff) into one part in the VAB? Are there any resulting RAM savings, by chance - I mean, assuming all of the MKS parts effectively can be deleted as a result...?

Pretty much, yeah. Once finished, you'll be able to remove a number of parts/textures from the Kolonization folder to save on RAM. That will also reduce the clutter in the parts catalog- mine gets really full! On the plus side, you'll have more room for more mods. :) RoverDude's stuff is pretty RAM efficient though...

Pretty much, yeah. Once finished, you'll be able to remove a number of parts/textures from the Kolonization folder to save on RAM. That will also reduce the clutter in the parts catalog- mine gets really full! On the plus side, you'll have more room for more mods. :) RoverDude's stuff is pretty RAM efficient though...

Coolness. Yeah, MKS isn't a ridiculous RAM hog or something, but for some reason every game I play - start out at 2300MB used, eventually crash from out of memory after playing for a while. =(

Just for clarity - MKS itself is extremely RAM light - it's not the multiple parts that cause RAM to go up as they all share textures other than the identifying decals (case in point, every OKS part is a single texture, it even uses some from the MKS bits). Adding it in because this does pop up once in a while as a question in my own threads.

@AccidentalDisassembly: One thing you can do is run with ActiveTextureManagement, and/or use the opengl switch when running KSP- I need to do that because of the large list of mods I use...

Anyway, I'm almost done with the update. In the interests of time, I'll delay finishing up the Skydock 375. Efficiency parts have been giving me fits; I want to keep the part counts down to a minimum, so the IMEM I previewed supports all the production modules- but don't offer a lot of workspaces per module. My only other issue is how to support multiple efficiency parts so that you can, for example, use the classic hab dome, orbital hab ring, and the IMEM as living spaces for the kerbitat. I think I can do that if the GetEfficiencyRate in MKSModule was made virtual- then I could make a derived class, unless I could do a pull request and build that support in.. :)

Barring that, I could restrict the MCM kerbitat to use the new efficiency part- but I like the hab domes- and create a module for the classic orbital hab ring that would modify the kerbitat efficiency parts when in orbit. That would be a kludge though.

Edited by Angel-125

@AccidentalDisassembly: One thing you can do is run with ActiveTextureManagement, and/or use the opengl switch when running KSP- I need to do that because of the large list of mods I use...

Anyway, I'm almost done with the update. In the interests of time, I'll delay finishing up the Skydock 375. Efficiency parts have been giving me fits; I want to keep the part counts down to a minimum, so the IMEM I previewed supports all the production modules- but don't offer a lot of workspaces per module. My only other issue is how to support multiple efficiency parts so that you can, for example, use the classic hab dome, orbital hab ring, and the IMEM as living spaces for the kerbitat. I think I can do that if the GetEfficiencyRate in MKSModule was made virtual- then I could make a derived class, unless I could do a pull request and build that support in.. :)

Barring that, I could restrict the MCM kerbitat to use the new efficiency part- but I like the hab domes- and create a module for the classic orbital hab ring that would modify the kerbitat efficiency parts when in orbit. That would be a kludge though.

I do both - ATM (well, I actually convert everything to DDS and 1/2 or 1/4 size using DDS4KSP, saves MORE RAM than ATM for me) and use openGL, but still, RAM usage just creeps up until I crash even when I start at 2300 MB or so. I can only assume there's some memory leak (?) somewhere, but have no idea how to tell what's causing it.

Mostly I thought it would be cool to have only one part on the VAB/SPH list, regardless of MKS' RAM usage - reduced RAM usage would be a bonus, but as Rover says it's already using very little. =)

Looking forward to the update! Sounds like a lot of improvements are in progress!

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm stomping several bugs too. Things like, "you got your machinery plant in my kerbitat!" For awhile it was looking like a old reese's peanutbutter cup commercial, heh.

0.3.0 is now available. You can download it from the front page, or get it here.

IMPORTANT NOTE: 0.3.0 is a game-breaking change. Be sure to retire your existing bases/spacecraft before applying this update.

- Recompiled for KSP 0.9.0 Beta.

- Refactored templates for compatibility with USI Kolonization Systems by RoverDude. Reminder: You need to download the USI Kolonization Systems mod separately.

- Added Ore, Metal, and KAS storage templates.

- The Colony Command Center can now act as a survey module for Extraplanetary Launchpads (EL).

- Removed Rocket Workshop MCM-EL template- building RocketParts is handled by the Machinery template.

- Added Skydock 375. The Skydock 375 can support vessels up to 42 meters in diameter.

- Added the Multipurpose Storage Module (MSM), a non-inflatable storage unit available earlier in the tech tree than the Inflatable Multipurpose Warehouse.

- Added the Inflatable Multipurpose Extension Module (IMEM), a KAS-storable and attachable workspace/living space extension (efficency part). Production modules like the Fabrication, Refinery, Fuel Refinery, Repair Shop, and Machinery Plant use this to make stuff.

- Refactored stock tech tree progression of the multipurpose modules (CTT is planned, but is further down the road).

Known Issues

- Using the MBU or MCM as a root part might cause part separation upon loading the spacecraft. This issue is continuing to be investigated. Don't use them as root parts.

- Sometimes the Kolony Logistics module does not transfer resources into inflatable warehouses. Still investigating this one, it seems intermittent.

Thank you for the awesome update! And merry christmas to you!

Do you think you will make a series for orbital bases like roverdude did with OKS? The new inflatable parts seems more fitting for a ground base than orbital. Not a big deal, though.

The Multipurpose Colony Module has part variants that let you configure it for a more orbital appearance. I do have plans for a couple more multipurpose parts.

First up will be the Homestead Inflatable Multipurpose Module, based on the Bigelow Aerospace BA330. The name Homestead (and for that matter, Wild Blue Industries) comes from my Contact Lost universe. Here's a picture I did a couple of years ago:

Homestead1.jpg

Eventually I want to build this:

SkyRanchII.jpg

In KSP, the Homestead is a large multipurpose module that, unlike the smaller MCM, can be both a colony module and a large capacity storage module. But it is heavier than the MCM, and specially designed for the orbital environment. Homestead is also large enough to not require efficiency parts, and it appears late in the tech tree.

Lastly will be the Ponderosa, at the apex of the multipurpose modules and near the top of the tech tree. The Ponderosa is an advanced inflatable colony module designed for the ground, but it is compact and light enough to be carried by a kerbal on EVA- no more scratching your head on how to deliver modules to the surface. Inspiration for the Ponderosa come from this:

Lunar-Architecture-Team-studies-Hybrid-Inflatable-Habitat-isometric-internal-view-NASA-Scott-Howe-Larry-Toups-Kriss-Kennedy-et-al-2008-09.jpg

This is a NASA design for an inflatable lunar habitat. It might require more Machinery to represent the innards needed to make it a proper colony module that come standard with the MCM and Homestead.

For other orbital parts... well, I just use RoverDude's OKS modules like the hab ring and hydroponics module, because I like them. :) But if you want a more stock-like appearance, I guess one solution would be to create MM configs for Porkjet's Habitat Pack. I could see the Small Centrifuge being used as the orbital kerbitat's efficiency part, for instance, and maybe the PA550 is a greenhouse efficiency part. Or, you could create efficiency parts using Nert's Stockalike Station Parts, which also have some nice stuff. The habitat module could serve as an orbiting efficiency part as well. I could probably work up some MM configs for those mods as alternate parts once I get done with the final art pass.

Happy Holidays to you too. :)

Nice to see the plans! I am really interested in the Homestead parts! At the moment I am just putting two of the IMEM parts together so that the flat bases clips together and makes it looks like one unit for orbital things.

And I did cobbled up some config for porkjet's part for habitats. It would be a waste if I don't put them along with their well crafted IVA to use. I like the looks of Nert's Stockalike stations too, but too much stuff on my plate already, and I still want to see their IVA done.

But that is not related to this mod. =p

Speaking of IVA though, do you think you would make IVA for your parts in the future? It is not critically important, and I enjoy these parts as is so much already. I also know that IVA is a freaking pain to make, so I am not going to tell you to do something you don't want to do. I am just interested if it is in the plan. =D They do enhance the experience quite a lot.

@BrutalRIP: Hm, the meshes appear correct- Oh, you mean the description? Ok, I see that the title and descriptions are wrong for the 375, I'll fix that. Good spot. :)

@RainDreamer: That sounds like a clever solution, actually. :) I would like to see custome IVAs as well, but it will take me time to learn how to make IVAs. I don't have the faintest clue just yet. Nonetheless, once I finish the exterior models and polish up the code, I can look at making IVAs for all the models.

Given that I get some time off next week, I'll be able to build out the Homestead and have it done soon. I may have to revisit the Ponderosa design as I don't want to make it like PorkJet's F.L.A.T. module. I'd forgotten about that one..

Just an update, I've been working on efficiency parts a bit more after seeing a problem with using the existing MKSModule. Nothing wrong with MKSModule, mind you, it's just that Multipurpose Colony Modules needs a little extra help to calculate efficiency properly. So I have a new module derived from MKSModule... and I need a little help from RoverDude to make MKSModule's GetEfficiencyRate to be a virtual function. That's the smallest change I could request from MKS/OKS and still do what I need to do in MCM. I do have a pull request pending. :) Anyway, I hope to have the Homestead done later this coming week.

Seems the IMEM doesn't want to switch between Workspace and Livingspace. I took a look at the configs and I don't see anything obviously wrong going on there.

Says "Unable to find template to switch to." Even though on the right click Next and Prev both say Livingspace.

Only thing I can think of is maybe a conflict with TweakableEverything, but the storage modules work correctly (and that works both on the pad in the VAB.). The IMEM won't switch at all, not sure if it is applying the Workspace template and giving workspace boost. Though I saw in the config it was 2 kerbals not 8. Though 8 may be a bit OP.

There is a bug I've fixed where the MCM doesn't remember what template it should be using. That'll get fixed next patch. I'm not sure about tweakscale... I don't use that mod in Multipurpose Colony Modules. I use Firespitter though, which has been updated to .90 in the release. Is your tweakscale up to date? What specifically did you see?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.