[Retired] Multipurpose Colony Modules for MKS/OKS (0.4.5)

Angelo Kerman

Quick preview of the new Homestead module. The textures are a work in progress. I got reasonably close to the render I did a couple of years ago (it's a few pages back). The code is also a WIP- there's a few bugs to iron out before I can create a new release.

GFNgRLC.png

pT6D7I2.png

Nice! Is that also an orbital MBU with solar panels? I am liking that design.

Yup, the orbital MBU is a new part variant of the MBU. Kind of redundant with the MSM already part of the mod but I didn't want to add another part just for the Homestead. The solar panels come from Nertea's Near Future Solar- I wish it had a radiator variant as well...

Ah, I thought the panels were built in to save part counts, in place of landing legs. Looked pretty fitting too. But it would work pretty well as a orbital station hub too the way it is.

That would be a nice trick, but I haven't made solar panels yet and don't know how KSP would react to multiple animations on different meshes. I do need to learn, I want heat radiators... It does look nice though, Nert did a really good job with his solar panels.

Can we get 4 face or corner attachment nodes for the orbital base? As variants maybe? I hate trying to surface attach precisely in the center, when I know that if I mess up it will gnaw at me endlessly.

Try this mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/38768-0-90-Editor-Extensions-v2-5-27-Dec

Vertical/horizontal centering is one of its awesome feature.

Can we get 4 face or corner attachment nodes for the orbital base? As variants maybe? I hate trying to surface attach precisely in the center, when I know that if I mess up it will gnaw at me endlessly.

I like Editor Extensions too but hm... I do want a 6-way hub with notches for docking ports. It would be another storage node. I might be able to tweak the MBM and make another orbital variant so that the current base unit and variants share the same attachment nodes. Think of the Harmony Node from ISS. Interesting idea.:)

A 6-ways hub would be huge though, if we want to attach homestead modules to it and have them inflated without clipping.

Not necessarily. You could, for instance, use a fuselage section as an extender to the hub. I think NihilRex is looking for nodes on the current base unit though.

Not necessarily. You could, for instance, use a fuselage section as an extender to the hub. I think NihilRex is looking for nodes on the current base unit though.

Correct, if we have an Orbital base unit, I think attachment nodes would be awesome.

Ok, the MBU now has stack nodes on all four sides as well as the existing top and bottom nodes. Plus, the IMW and IMEM now have stack attachment nodes so that it all lines up in the VAB/SPH. You'll still be able to attach things via KAS...

szbbs6x.png

This will be available next release.

Hey Angel, I noticed that both v0.3.0 Skydock models say 250. It shows 2 different models but the same name and cost. This is a relatively fresh install, 4 days old. Can't say if my older version had this problem, I never noticed it. I also don't know if could be related to any other mods, I don't know what could of caused the naming error. Just thought I would check with you to see if its on your end or mine?

Hey Angel, I noticed that both v0.3.0 Skydock models say 250. It shows 2 different models but the same name and cost. This is a relatively fresh install, 4 days old. Can't say if my older version had this problem, I never noticed it. I also don't know if could be related to any other mods, I don't know what could of caused the naming error. Just thought I would check with you to see if its on your end or mine?

It was mentioned a few pages back, I think he said it would be fixed in next release.

No worries, I appreciate the feedback. :) I am close to finishing the Homestead. Multiple efficiency parts is still giving me fits though. I have a solution but it requires an update to MKS/OKS. Just need a method in MKSModule, CalculateEfficiency, to be virtual. If I can't do that then I will do a kludge. I did make a pull request. :)

Edit oooI just noticed the change to MKS/OKS to support multiple efficiency parts. Thank you Sir! :)

Edited by Angel-125

• 2 weeks later...
It is an efficiency part for colony modules like fuel refinery, machinery plant, and fabricator. It is the equivalent of the IMEM but for orbital colonies.

Ah, I didn't notice the differences between them and Homestead at first. Thought the ones in the image was homestead and the IOWA was the tube connecting them to the hubs.

Are they included with tubes though?

Ah, I didn't notice the differences between them and Homestead at first. Thought the ones in the image was homestead and the IOWA was the tube connecting them to the hubs.

Are they included with tubes though?

Yes, the transfer tubes are part of the design, just like they are with the IMEM and IMW.

I m aiming to include Kolonization support for the next release of my SETI-BalanceMod (link in signature).

On of its key features is using procedural parts instead of the mass clutter in the construction buildings.

This mod would make a huge impact on usability by decluttering the menu for colonization,

so I plan to make it a requirement when using Kolonization.

Thank you very much, cant wait for the release!

I m aiming to include Kolonization support for the next release of my SETI-BalanceMod (link in signature).

On of its key features is using procedural parts instead of the mass clutter in the construction buildings.

This mod would make a huge impact on usability by decluttering the menu for colonization,

so I plan to make it a requirement when using Kolonization.

Thank you very much, cant wait for the release!

Very cool, glad you like the mod. :) It'll be interesting to see what you do with it in your SETI BalanceMod. :) RoverDude's fantastic work makes Multipurpose Colony Modules possible, so you might want to check out his other cool stuff like the USI Exploration Pack and Sounding Rockets. They would be a good fit for your mod as well.

It'd be neat if the base unit itself would provide the same amount of KAS storage as the MKS base unit, right now it's only showing me 167 units compared to the MKS base unit of 240. I tried to edit it, but I can't seem to find the right spot to make the change. Angel, any guidance?

I think the storage unit is great, 240 KAS units is perfect for the size, but I'd really like the MCM to have a storage model, maybe 480 units since it's about 2x the size of the MSM. The inflatable warehouse parts are pretty great, and while I can use an MSM (or four), an MSM sitting on an MCM on top of an MBU, all in Storage mode and filled with stuff would be really handy and fit in well with the aesthetic.

Again, I'd certainly give modding this function in a shot, but I think I need to be sure how to add/adjust the KAS storage for these parts first, particularly given the puzzling lack of a Parts folder. You've clearly done something interesting, is there a document or site I can look at to learn how this works?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.