[Retired] Multipurpose Colony Modules for MKS/OKS (0.4.5)

Angelo Kerman

It'd be neat if the base unit itself would provide the same amount of KAS storage as the MKS base unit, right now it's only showing me 167 units compared to the MKS base unit of 240. I tried to edit it, but I can't seem to find the right spot to make the change. Angel, any guidance?

I think the storage unit is great, 240 KAS units is perfect for the size, but I'd really like the MCM to have a storage model, maybe 480 units since it's about 2x the size of the MSM. The inflatable warehouse parts are pretty great, and while I can use an MSM (or four), an MSM sitting on an MCM on top of an MBU, all in Storage mode and filled with stuff would be really handy and fit in well with the aesthetic.

Again, I'd certainly give modding this function in a shot, but I think I need to be sure how to add/adjust the KAS storage for these parts first, particularly given the puzzling lack of a Parts folder. You've clearly done something interesting, is there a document or site I can look at to learn how this works?

Thanks for considering the mod. :) I don't currently have documentation, but I'll add that onto the todo list. The KAS amounts for the modules were made with the thought that other stuff would be stored inside the module as well. So for instance, the Multipurpose Base Unit has 80 KAS units because it also stores life support and other resources. That said, there is a template for KAS in the templates directory, 046_KAS, that will specify how much KAS is available for a part. If you find that 046_KAS.cfg file and change the kasAmount to 686, you'll get the 240 KAS units when using the KAS storage template. I've gone ahead and changed that value for the next update.

If you want to fiddle with things more in-depth, read on. :) In a part's cfg file, you'll find either MKSStorageController or MKSModuleController. Both of these have a setting called capacityFactor. This factor is applied to all resources specified in a template. The MBU, for instance, has a capacityFactor of 0.35, while the upcoming Homestead module has a capacity factor of 4.5. The colony templates all use the resource values of their corresponding MKS/OKS resource amounts, so the MCM has a capacityFactor of 1.0. The storage templates are all based upon the MKS storage drum, or are based upon the storage volume of a cylinder that is 2.5m in diameter and 3.75m tall (Rockomax-32 dimensions). Based on the amount of fuel stored in the drum, the base storage templates have 3640 units of storage. FYI, it looks like Squad took the volume of the cylinder, multiplied by 1000 (to get total liters), and then divided by 5 to get the total units of the fuel tank.

In addition to capacityFactor, you have baseKasAmount, which specifies the minimum amount of KAS storage a part has. So if the base KAS is 80 and the capacityFactor is 0.35, then you'll never dip below 80 KAS units in the part (there might be a bug in the current release that drops the KAS below minimum, but the upcoming release has that bug fixed).

Edited by Angel-125

"Considering the mod" is putting it mildly, I love this thing, I should have said that in my previous post. :)

Thank you VERY much for the information, I'd seen some settings that looked like what I wanted, but they weren't the right ones at all. I look forward to the next update!

EDIT: After rereading your post I now understand how the MBU ends up with 167 KAS capacity. The new value of 686 multiplied by the capacity factor of .35 gets 240.1. Assuming an MSM with 240 KAS capacity is half the size of an MCM, the MCM with a capacityFactor of 1 would end up with 480 KAS storage. So 480 (base KAS) * .35 (MBU capacityFactor) = 168, close enough to 167 that it explains why the MBU in Storage mode had that amount of KAS storage. Thanks again for explaining all that, I was really puzzled at the 167 value.

Edited by parrots

"Considering the mod" is putting it mildly, I love this thing, I should have said that in my previous post. :)

Thank you VERY much for the information, I'd seen some settings that looked like what I wanted, but they weren't the right ones at all. I look forward to the next update!

You're welcome. :) Just let me know if you have further questions. I probably need to make another pass at the storage capacities. The MCM is 2.81m tall (equal to a Rockomax-16 + Rockomax-8), which is 3/4 the capacity of a standard storage unit. Of course, the MCM wasn't originally designed to be a storage unit, so its resources just reflect what you'd see in the original MKS/OKS colony modules.

Fantastic models. Thank you.

Suggestion: how about a 5 meter habitat for deep space exploration that rotates to simulate gravity and fits 2.5m ends?

example: http://unusualsuspex.deviantart.com/art/Mission-To-Mars-Mars-II-ortho-444314532

from "Mission to Mars"

RoverDude's OKS Hab Ring fits the bill, actually. It fits inside the Super 25 shuttle bay. That's what I use for my space colonies. I've toyed with the idea of making a large centrifuge similar to the one from NASA's Nautilus-X because it would fit the stock-ish aesthetic I'm aiming for, but seriously, RoverDude's art looks really cool.

Looks great and I am about to give it a try. Any chance of seeing this on CKAN?

I'm not familiar with CKAN, but once I've finished up the latest round of meshes, I can look into it. Right now GitHub does a good job of hosting not only the release, but the source as well.

Speaking of releases, I've got some bugs to work out, which is why I haven't released 0.4.0 yet. I've yet to figure out how to step through the code, which slows everything down, but I think I'll have something by the weekend.

Edited by Angel-125

Found a bug that can be reproduced: placing the multipurpose storage module in symmetry and changing storage type, then attempting to right click on it after changing breaks right clicking in general in the editor - loading/making a new craft seems to reset it.

To duplicate it, just place the MSM in symmetry, right click it, change storage type, then you can't right click on anything. Symmetry is key.

Found a bug that can be reproduced: placing the multipurpose storage module in symmetry and changing storage type, then attempting to right click on it after changing breaks right clicking in general in the editor - loading/making a new craft seems to reset it.

To duplicate it, just place the MSM in symmetry, right click it, change storage type, then you can't right click on anything. Symmetry is key.

Thanks for the feedback. :) I'll take a look at that over the weekend.

edit: I took a look at the issue and it has to do with resources in the symmetrical parts not matching the part just changed. I have tried a few solutions but to no avail. For now this is a known issue. The workaround is to turn off symmetry when adding the MSM.

Edited by Angel-125

Yup. I was just about to say that with 0.22.6 now released, The latest Multipurpose Colony Modules is ready to go. I was going to wait until I finished the Ponderosa but getting that done over the weekend will be a bit tight. So expect an update within the next day or two.

Rough Roadmap:

0.4.0: Homestead, IOWA, IMEM revamped, updated MBU, PackRat rear chassis adapter (hook it up to the MBU, drive your modules around, needs one rear chassis on front and one on back), MM configs for PorkJet's Habitat Pack.

0.4.5: Ponderosa, large centrifuge, kas crew pipes, MM configs for Nert's station parts

0.5.0: IVAs

this is subject to change, but that's the basic gist.

Edited by Angel-125

You can download the latest from the front page, or download it here.95AUDxr.png

0.4.0:

IMPORTANT NOTE: You'll need USI Kolonization Systems 0.22.6 or higher.

- The colony templates now support a variety of efficiency parts. Thanks RoverDude for making this possible. :)

- Adjusted tech level requirements for the storage templates to reflect when the colony module templates that use them are available in the tech tree.

- The MBM now has stack attachment nodes on all six sides, enabling it to become a station hub.

- Added an alternate mesh configuration to the MBM for orbital operations.

- Deprecated the original MBU part. The old part starts with (OBSOLETE) in its title.

- Added the PackRat Rover Chassis Adapter (PRCA). The PRCA is designed to attach to the MBU and serve as a mounting point for the PackRat Rover's Chassis Rear Section. Now you can use the PackRat rover system by RoverDude to drive your modules around! USI Exploration Pack by RoverDude downloaded separately.

- The IMEM now has efficiency configurations for the Kerbitat , Fabricator, Refinery, Fuel Refinery, Repair Shop, Aeroponics, and Machinery Plant. Workspace and living space has been buffed as a result. The IMEM and IOWA can also become a Training Akademy.

- Deprecated the IMEM_Workspace and IMEM_Livingspace templates.

- The IMEM now has a stack attachment node to make it easy to line up with an MBM's side nodes in the VAB/SPH.

NOTE: Your existing IMEMs will need to be retired before installing this update. Simply deflate them and store them in a KAS container, then retrieve them. That should give you the new functionality.

- The IMW now has a stack attachment node to make it easy to line up with an MBM's side nodes in the VAB/SPH.

- Added a Fusion storage template that holds FusionPellets and Glykerol.

- The Fuel Refinery has new converters for producing FusionPellets and Glykerol.

- Added the Inflatable Orbital Workshop Addition (IOWA), an efficiency part similar to the IMEM but made for orbital stations. It has convenient attachment nodes as well.

- You can now "store" the IMW, IMEM, and IOWA efficiency parts on the MBU's attachment nodes. The part will be stored at the node nearest to the kerbal on EVA (the hatch looking thingies on the side).

- Inflatable modules require confirmation before being deflated to avoid losing resources. Yay for less aggravation!

- Inflatable modules won't deflate if there are kerbals still inside.

- The MSM and MBU may be reconfigured in the field to store different resources.

- The MCM may be reconfigured in the field to become a different colony module after you have unlocked the Composites tech node.

- Made some improvements to the Module Operations Manager (MOM).

- Corrected description and cost for the Skydock 375.

- Added the Homestead Inflatable Multipurpose Module (IMM). Homestead is a large inflatable module that can serve as a colony module or as a large-capacity storage module. The Homestead serves as its own efficiency part.

--- Optional Components ---

Module Manager patches are provided to enable Multipurpose Colony Modules to be used with 3rd party mods. These mods are not included in the download, but a link is provided.

--- Porkjet's Habitat Pack (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64442-0-23-5-Habitat-Pack-v0-4)

NOTE: Get the Layered Animations mod by Starwasher to fix issues with the Small Centrifuge. Link:https://github.com/Starwaster/LayeredAnimations/releases

- The Small Centrifuge can be used as a Kerbitat efficiency part (hab ring).

- The PA330 can be used as an inflatable storage container.

- The PA550 can be used as an Aeroponics efficiency part (greenhouse).

--- Known Issues ---

- Adding MSM, MCM, and the Homestead module using symetry and then changing the storage types will cause the right-click menu to break. As a workaround, don't use symmetry.

Edited by Angel-125

The OP still says it is v 0.3.0 by the way.

Thanks, I updated the front page. Now to see if I can get the Ponderosa done over the weekend! Here's a look at what I'm working on (IMEM is rendering colliders which is why they look weird):

K8A5BDJ.jpg

Edited by Angel-125

Oh that is very cool. The picture reminds me of Andy Weir's "The Martian," which I really enjoyed.

OOhh! Never heard of that one! Added to my Amazon reading list. :)

Once you've finished that, is there any chance you could provide a list of the part configs, models, and textures in the USI folder that aren't needed anymore with your mod installed? That'd be handy... stupid RAM. =(

Sure thing. Check the second post on the first page in a day or two. I made a promise to RD to not mess with the Kolonization folder, so you'll have to do some file handling yourselves if you're looking to save on memory. I've found, however, that with Active Texture Management, I can keep the classic parts (and I like using them alongside my own stuff). I'll post a prototype MM config to hide the parts you don't need as well- it'll need some testing..

OOhh! Never heard of that one! Added to my Amazon reading list. :)

The Martian and the Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson are why I like KAS-storable inflatable parts and want larger KAS storage containers in general. Prefab colony parts are great and look good for the long term, but scouting and research missions tend to be less permanent. I want to be able to pack up and move. :)

The Martian and the Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson are why I like KAS-storable inflatable parts and want larger KAS storage containers in general. Prefab colony parts are great and look good for the long term, but scouting and research missions tend to be less permanent. I want to be able to pack up and move. :)

So, basically a space tent for space camping? :P

I think I will like the look of the ponderosa quite a lot.

If he does make it storable, it will be a large item. Better solution is still probably to just mount one on a KAS rack.

I have added some very large storage containers to my game, I figure if it's KAS-portable it should be KAS-storable. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.