[Retired] Multipurpose Colony Modules for MKS/OKS (0.4.5)

Angelo Kerman

Cool, guess this WILL see the light of day on my computer...Will I need to install the USI colony pack to make this work or is this standalone?

You need USI's Kolonization Systems, it is a requirement. MCM hides the unused parts from MKS/OKS and if you are daring, the second post on the first page tells you what files you can delete (not recommended).

For those curious exactly how much texture area you can save using MCM if you delete all the textures (EXCEPT the optional ones) in the second post of the first page, here's the answer:

Total pixels of textures used by MCM (full res, no ATM compression, etc.) = 15.89248 Mpix

Total pixels of textures you can delete from MKS/OKS (NOT including optional) = 30.67904 Mpix

So apparently MCM provides the same functionality of MKS/OKS parts using 50% fewer texture pixels (ish). If you're even more curious, MKS/OKS uses, grand total, this many textures of the given dimensions:[TABLE=width: 400]

[TR]

[TD]64x64[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]128x128[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]256x256[/TD]

[TD]21.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]512x512[/TD]

[TD]49.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1024x1024[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The 0.5 textures correspond to ones where one dimension is half (256x128, 512x256).

MKS/OKS grand total: The equivalent of about 24 textures of 1024x1024 size, or (maybe?) ~96MB of RAM. I have no idea how much RAM a texture takes up, though, but the Google told me maybe 4 bytes per pixel.

EDIT: Another fun comparison: Squad's folder (and I didn't even count ALL the textures) has the equivalent of about ~218 textures of 1024x1024 size. My personal conclusion based on an incredibly superficial knowledge of texturing? Squad's texturing is ludicrously inefficient.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

MKS/OKS grand total: The equivalent of about 24 textures of 1024x1024 size, or (maybe?) ~96MB of RAM. I have no idea how much RAM a texture takes up, though, but the Google told me maybe 4 bytes per pixel.

EDIT: Another fun comparison: Squad's folder (and I didn't even count ALL the textures) has the equivalent of about ~218 textures of 1024x1024 size. My personal conclusion based on an incredibly superficial knowledge of texturing? Squad's texturing is ludicrously inefficient.

Cool info! Thanks for the comparison! Ive been using the MCM stuff and really been enjoying it.

And yea, squads texturing layout is really inefficient. Alot of stock parts use similar textures which could easily be shared (like alot of the fuel tanks for example). Squad could definite take a hint from Roverdude (and angel-125) and consolidate alot of the shared textures :P

Sorry for the double post.

Running into some trouble with the orbital modules. Have an Aeroponics and a command module in orbit, and they are inflated. However they show no crew capacity, and im unable to transfer crew to them (either through EVA or using Ship Manifest, they dont show up in list as crewable modules)

When trying to access the hatch Via eva they say "cannot board a full module" They are both full on machinery (not sure if that makes a diffrence)

Any feedback on anything im doing wrong would be appreciated!.

For those curious exactly how much texture area you can save using MCM if you delete all the textures (EXCEPT the optional ones) in the second post of the first page, here's the answer:

Total pixels of textures used by MCM (full res, no ATM compression, etc.) = 15.89248 Mpix

Total pixels of textures you can delete from MKS/OKS (NOT including optional) = 30.67904 Mpix

So apparently MCM provides the same functionality of MKS/OKS parts using 50% fewer texture pixels (ish). If you're even more curious, MKS/OKS uses, grand total, this many textures of the given dimensions:[TABLE=width: 400]

[TR]

[TD]64x64[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]128x128[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]256x256[/TD]

[TD]21.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]512x512[/TD]

[TD]49.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1024x1024[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The 0.5 textures correspond to ones where one dimension is half (256x128, 512x256).

Nice analysis, thanks for that. :) MKS/OKS is pretty dang efficient with its textures so its memory footprint is already low. Add Active Texture Management and/or the opengl switch into the mix, and you have plenty of space. So unless you're really hurting for space, it's easier to leave the MKS/OKS assets in place.

It happens on all of them, but the one from the log was the PDU.

OK, I'll take a look this weekend and see what's going on. In the meantime, be sure when installing the mod to replace everything in your game directory with the equivalent directories in the mod to make sure you have the very latest-overwriting isn't recommended.

Sorry for the double post.

Running into some trouble with the orbital modules. Have an Aeroponics and a command module in orbit, and they are inflated. However they show no crew capacity, and im unable to transfer crew to them (either through EVA or using Ship Manifest, they dont show up in list as crewable modules)

When trying to access the hatch Via eva they say "cannot board a full module" They are both full on machinery (not sure if that makes a diffrence)

Any feedback on anything im doing wrong would be appreciated!.

Sounds like a few are running into this issue. I will take a look over the weekend. Thanks for the bug report. :)

FYI - when comparing texture load, also bear in mind MKS-OKS is actually two part packs in one ;) You have completely different parts for orbital vs. ground.

Yep! Pretty efficient. But you do end up saving a little bit of memory if you do the MCM - I'm guessing it's almost entirely precisely because there aren't two different sets of parts with it. Compared to Squad, both are unbelievably efficient.

Any news on the crew capacity fix? none of my modules have spaces for kerbals :(

Edit: actually the "Multipurpose Colony Module" has 2 crew spaces. The Homestead has none.

Are "Inflatable Multipurpose Extension Module" and "Inflatable Orbital Workshop Addition" supposed to have crew spaces?

Edited by Enceos

Any news on the crew capacity fix? none of my modules have spaces for kerbals :(

Edit: actually the "Multipurpose Colony Module" has 2 crew spaces. The Homestead has none.

Are "Inflatable Multipurpose Extension Module" and "Inflatable Orbital Workshop Addition" supposed to have crew spaces?

I have parents in town this weekend so I haven't had a chance to take a detailed look. Hopefully I'll have a fix early next week.

Both of the inflatable modules you mentioned are efficiency parts and don't have crew spaces.

Edited by Angel-125

Oh son of a - (!) Ok, I know why your kerbals are locked out of the Homestead. I've got a fix for that. I also figured out the problem with setting resources on parts with symmetry parts, so that will get fixed next release, which will be by Thursday. I'm puzzling through the cost issue (changing the templates alters the cost oddly), and might or might not have a fix by Thursday. Key word: Thursday...

Hey Angel, love the mod but I seem to have run into a couple issues with the last update. Seems when I use the MBU/MCM modules in either the SPH or VAB, I can assign the required resources (like punchcards for the Colony center). However, when I launch it, none of the resources are kept, all sliders show 0. Also having a problem with the Ponderosa module, if I place it using the 'attach' selection or drop it, it ends up exploding. I'm running about 28 mods so figured these were most likely just conflicts, so I re-installed KSP, then installed MKS and MCM, but still had the same problems. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong or anything I can send that might help? Thanks for any advice, that Ponderosa was something I was looking forward to.

Cheers

Hey Angel, love the mod but I seem to have run into a couple issues with the last update. Seems when I use the MBU/MCM modules in either the SPH or VAB, I can assign the required resources (like punchcards for the Colony center). However, when I launch it, none of the resources are kept, all sliders show 0. Also having a problem with the Ponderosa module, if I place it using the 'attach' selection or drop it, it ends up exploding. I'm running about 28 mods so figured these were most likely just conflicts, so I re-installed KSP, then installed MKS and MCM, but still had the same problems. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong or anything I can send that might help? Thanks for any advice, that Ponderosa was something I was looking forward to.

Cheers

The exploding Ponderosa is a KAS issue. Try attaching it to the ground. You will need to use the b/n and shift b/n controls to rotate it. I haven't figured out why KAS causes it to explode. Do lighter parts explode too? Try grabbing and dropping a standard KAS container. If that works, try making the Ponderosa very light, like .25 or so.

please send me your logs for the resources issue. I am unable to reproduce it. What are the exact steps you take?

Hi again Angel. Bit more experimenting, just to be clear I reinstalled KSP and right now only have it, ModManager 2.5.9, KAS 0.4.10, USI MKS 0.22.7 (no other USI mods installed, just what came in that pack) and MCM 0.4.3. Here's the log file http://filebin.ca/1svPY0KDkI0b/KSP.log and screen caps for the issues at http://imgur.com/a/TIdTm

No idea whats going on with the resources issue, but I can confirm that it only occurs with MCM parts, nothing else. Loaded up the punchcards while the Colony Hub was in VAB, launched it, and poof, they're gone.

After some more playing around, it seems the problem I'm having with the Ponderosa is that it's trying to "attach" to the ground upside down. Since deleting everything else out it's now stopped exploding (unless you try to inflate it). Your comment about using shift-B/N got me thinking, and I was able to use alt-B/N to rotate it to the proper orientation. However, that brought out another issue. The Kerbal can enter into the Ponderosa module, but as soon as you exit out to the Space Center screen, the module (and the poor Kerbal inside) disappears, leaving only the ship I had mounted them on for launch.

Let me know if I can provide any other info or if you have any ideas for me to try.

Cheers

Hi again Angel. Bit more experimenting, just to be clear I reinstalled KSP and right now only have it, ModManager 2.5.9, KAS 0.4.10, USI MKS 0.22.7 (no other USI mods installed, just what came in that pack) and MCM 0.4.3. Here's the log file http://filebin.ca/1svPY0KDkI0b/KSP.log and screen caps for the issues at http://imgur.com/a/TIdTm

No idea whats going on with the resources issue, but I can confirm that it only occurs with MCM parts, nothing else. Loaded up the punchcards while the Colony Hub was in VAB, launched it, and poof, they're gone.

After some more playing around, it seems the problem I'm having with the Ponderosa is that it's trying to "attach" to the ground upside down. Since deleting everything else out it's now stopped exploding (unless you try to inflate it). Your comment about using shift-B/N got me thinking, and I was able to use alt-B/N to rotate it to the proper orientation. However, that brought out another issue. The Kerbal can enter into the Ponderosa module, but as soon as you exit out to the Space Center screen, the module (and the poor Kerbal inside) disappears, leaving only the ship I had mounted them on for launch.

Let me know if I can provide any other info or if you have any ideas for me to try.

Cheers

Thanks for the information. I am pondering through what's going on and may have a partial fix this evening. As for the Ponderosa, was it classified as Debris? It may be that because you set up the module near the pad, the game decided to clear it out.

I really don't know anything about the coding for KSP, but in the log, at time index 18:56:30.757, when I loaded the Kerbal into the Ponderosa, it did seem to switch it:

[LOG 18:56:30.757] [00:03:33]: Bill Kerman boarded Ponderosa Advanced Colony Module on Bill Kerman Debris.

[LOG 18:56:30.757] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Bill Kerman Debris ----------------------

I was checking to see if other functionality was affected, but the module was able to switch function without any apparent problems. But about when I changed view to Space Center:

[WRN 18:57:38.339] [FlightPersistence]: Vessel Bill Kerman Debris not saved because it was debris cluttering up KSC.

[ERR 18:57:38.340] Input is null

[ERR 18:57:38.340] Input is null

[ERR 18:57:38.341] Input is null

[ERR 18:57:38.341] Input is null

[ERR 18:57:38.342] Input is null

[ERR 18:57:38.343] Input is null

[ERR 18:57:38.343] Input is null

[ERR 18:57:38.344] Input is null

[ERR 18:57:38.345] Input is null

[ERR 18:57:38.345] Input is null

[LOG 18:57:38.347] Flight State Captured

[WRN 18:57:38.347] [ProtoCrewMember Warning]: Crewmember Bill Kerman found assigned but no vessels reference him. Bill Kerman set as missing.

So I suspect you're right about why it was cleaned.

Get the latest release here.

Release 0.4.4: Rookie Maneuver Edition

- (IN TESTING) Fixed a problem with symmetry that prevented parts from updating resources properly. This also fixes the issue with duplicating parts.

- Fixed an issue with the Homestead that was rather inhospitable to kerbals trying to enter the module. It's more neighborly now.

- (IN TESTING) Fixed an issue with Machinery not showing up on the launchpad after being filled up prior to launch.

- Lightened the Ponderosa by a ton- it's a space tent after all!

- The Ponderosa's default vessel type is now Base.

- The Homestead's default vessel type is now Station.

Yup, that is coming from the right-click context menu. This release should fix it. Please let me know how it goes. Thanks again for the feedback! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.