[Retired] Multipurpose Colony Modules for MKS/OKS (0.4.5)

Angelo Kerman

Get the latest release here.

Release 0.4.4: Rookie Maneuver Edition

- (IN TESTING) Fixed a problem with symmetry that prevented parts from updating resources properly. This also fixes the issue with duplicating parts.

- Fixed an issue with the Homestead that was rather inhospitable to kerbals trying to enter the module. It's more neighborly now.

- (IN TESTING) Fixed an issue with Machinery not showing up on the launchpad after being filled up prior to launch.

- Lightened the Ponderosa by a ton- it's a space tent after all!

- The Ponderosa's default vessel type is now Base.

- The Homestead's default vessel type is now Station.

Yup, that is coming from the right-click context menu. This release should fix it. Please let me know how it goes. Thanks again for the feedback! :)

Can't wait to test all that! Thank you!

Hey Angel. Grabbed the new version, it appears to have solved the resource issue now, and for the most part the issues with the Ponderosa. I was able to place one (still have the upside down issue but can rotate it into position). It now seems to remain persistent when jumping out to the Space Center screen. Still have some random explosions (log for that here if you'd like it) but not as bad as before. Look at time index 10:37:19. Great job and thanks for your work with the mod.

Cheers

Hey Angel. Grabbed the new version, it appears to have solved the resource issue now, and for the most part the issues with the Ponderosa. I was able to place one (still have the upside down issue but can rotate it into position). It now seems to remain persistent when jumping out to the Space Center screen. Still have some random explosions (log for that here if you'd like it) but not as bad as before. Look at time index 10:37:19. Great job and thanks for your work with the mod.

Cheers

Good feedback, thanks. :) glad to hear there are fewer explosions. If you are inclined and want to experiment, try editing the PonderosaPart.cfg file in a text editor, find mass = 0.25 and change it to mass = 0.1. I'm at work so I can't check right now. I suspect KAS is making the part explode because of its mass. You can also increase the crash tolerance. Be sure to drop anchor when you drop the Ponderosa (not needed if you attach it to the ground)

I wish the mod supported CTT and unlocked various configurations on progress milestones. There's a CTT config for MKS.

It is pretty easy to do yourself, I did mine manually but I'll see if I can get a MM file working and post it.

As per your suggestion, I changed the mass to .1 and bumped the crash tolerance up to 45 (same as the MCMs), but didn't seem to make a difference. Went off to a different part of Kerbin by the KSC to do the testing, weird thing is the first Ponderosa I tried to place exploded, but the second one seemed to attach to the ground fine (upside down but fine after I rotated it). Log is here, look at time index 14:13:57. It almost appears (to my uneducated eye) like there is a collision with the terrain causing the explosion, not really the mass or tolerance. Again, maybe it's how I'm doing it but these are all being placed using the "attach". I'm beginning to think I should be using the "drop" maybe? Thanks for your patience with this.

Awesome, I'm happy to include that in the mod and credit you for the config if you are so inclined. :)

Most definitely.

So here is a quick two configs, one for the parts themselves and the other for the templates.

Now big red, text these are currently untested

I am at work and just whipped these up really quick, I wont be able to make sure they actually work until later, unless someone wants to be a good guinea pig and test them for me :)

The required tech is based off of similar components in MKS/OKS

Angel-125 you are more than welcome to include them as is or modify them as you see fit.

You have said that the Ponderosa does not need efficiency modules. Does it consume punchcards when in a mode that normal consumes cards?

If it is a Kerbitat, how many Kerbals does it support? Does it benefit from having inflatable habitats from MKS added to the craft? What about your own inflatable efficiency modules?

Same question for the Aeroponics, etc.

You have said that the Ponderosa does not need efficiency modules. Does it consume punchcards when in a mode that normal consumes cards?

If it is a Kerbitat, how many Kerbals does it support? Does it benefit from having inflatable habitats from MKS added to the craft? What about your own inflatable efficiency modules?

Same question for the Aeroponics, etc.

Actually the Ponderosa is just like the MCM in functionality. It's the Homestead that doesn't require efficiency parts. The Ponderosa can house 4 kerbals.

Most definitely.

So here is a quick two configs, one for the parts themselves and the other for the templates.

Now big red, text these are currently untested

I am at work and just whipped these up really quick, I wont be able to make sure they actually work until later, unless someone wants to be a good guinea pig and test them for me :)

The required tech is based off of similar components in MKS/OKS

Angel-125 you are more than welcome to include them as is or modify them as you see fit.

I'll test it today and post my results. Thank you, Akira!

Much appreciated, Akira. :)

As per your suggestion, I changed the mass to .1 and bumped the crash tolerance up to 45 (same as the MCMs), but didn't seem to make a difference. Went off to a different part of Kerbin by the KSC to do the testing, weird thing is the first Ponderosa I tried to place exploded, but the second one seemed to attach to the ground fine (upside down but fine after I rotated it). Log is here, look at time index 14:13:57. It almost appears (to my uneducated eye) like there is a collision with the terrain causing the explosion, not really the mass or tolerance. Again, maybe it's how I'm doing it but these are all being placed using the "attach". I'm beginning to think I should be using the "drop" maybe? Thanks for your patience with this.

I appreciate the feedback. Thank you for your patience too! MCM is a complicated mod, and figuring out these issues can take awhile.

I'll test it today and post my results. Thank you, Akira!

o7 thank you brave sir, feel free to PM me with any issues, the main thing I potentially see problems with is the templates not getting their tech required changed, but with my understanding of MM I think I did it right, let me know if there are any suggestion as far as moving stuff to different nodes.

No problem Angel-125 :D

Another quick one for you Angel, I've run into a problem while setting the functionality of MCM modules in the VAB. In the right click menu, when selecting the module's function, the 'next' button seems to get stuck/disabled once PDU is selected. Going the other way (previous), it gets stuck once Science Lab is selected. Not sure if it's just my combination of mods or not.

Another quick one for you Angel, I've run into a problem while setting the functionality of MCM modules in the VAB. In the right click menu, when selecting the module's function, the 'next' button seems to get stuck/disabled once PDU is selected. Going the other way (previous), it gets stuck once Science Lab is selected. Not sure if it's just my combination of mods or not.

Ok, do you have symmetry enabled or anything? Can you post a screenshot of your ship?

Nope, simply placing the MCM on top of the MBU, and then using the context menu to select function. Also noted that if I select PDU (as I said, as far as it goes) and close the context menu, I can't get it to come back up. Basically have to delete the MCM and place a new one.

Here's a screenshot of the ship, and here's the log. Let me know if you need anything else or want me to try something.

On a separate question, I know you have a cfg file that removes the MKS parts from the menu, but are the two systems compatible if it's removed? For example, will your inflatable warehouses attach and function if connected to an MKS base? Was going to do some experimenting but the base is being built on Minmus and that's a couple launches to save if I'm heading down a rabbit-hole.

Cheers

Thanks for the logs and screenshot, I'll see what's going on. Pretty frustrating to fix one thing only to break another, but that's the nature of the biz...

To answer your question, Multipurpose Colony Modules is compatible with MKS, but MKS doesn't know about MCM's efficiency parts. You'd need a MM patch to make use of MCM efficiency parts with MKS/OKS.

Hey,

this is a great mod and fits perfectly into the clutter reduction principle of my SETI-BalanceMod.

However there is one problem:

You make lots of use of the :FINAL statement in your modulemanager configs. That precludes any chance of modding those components for balancing purposes within SETI, and thus makes it incompatible.

Because of that massive incompatibility, :FINAL statements should only be used for private configs. I used and encountered them before and they are a massive headache for integration.

I do not believe any of your :FINAL statements are necessary, and if they are, an :AFTER[umbraSpaceIndustries] statement would do the same job without the unwanted side effects.

The change would simply be running a "replace" with Notepad++, exchanging ":FINAL" for ":AFTER[umbraSpaceIndustries]".

Thank you very much!

Edited by Yemo

Hi Angel, after some time and a bunch of contracts I´m back to your awesome mod|fork to build a new base with this pretty-looking, smart engineered modules.

Unfortunately I've the same bug as mentioned above regarding the GUI-switch. But I'm sure youre already fiddling around with it.

Something I was wondering about and want to give you/others some food for thought is the KAS storage volume of the different parts:

1. MSM/MBU has a 240/167u storage container. Although there's room for 3-4 times units.

2. Pondarosa has a 40u container... why? I would assume that it's tightly packed.

3. Why Pondarosa cannot be stored?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Perhaps I will change my personal configs to suit my needs of consistency, if there is nothing what contradicts it. So here are my suggestions:

1. Change MSM to 800-900u (12containers*80u-some deduction)

2. Change MBU to 540-600u (8*80u-perhaps more deduction because it's the base unit ;-))

3. Pondarosa storage container size = 0 ; storage size =120

4. Change other storable inflatables storage sizes to higher values, e.g. IEM to 60-80u, ILM 50-60u etc.

I'm aware that this might change the playing with awesome MKS itsself, but I'm not using it anylonger because I need every Mb ram. So it's from the view of a stand alone fork.

P.S. Wth can I do with the rover adapter? How to use it?

Edited by funk

Hi Angel, after some time and a bunch of contracts I´m back to your awesome mod|fork to build a new base with this pretty-looking, smart engineered modules.

Unfortunately I've the same bug as mentioned above regarding the GUI-switch. But I'm sure youre already fiddling around with it.

Something I was wondering about and want to give you/others some food for thought is the KAS storage volume of the different parts:

1. MSM/MBU has a 240/167u storage container. Although there's room for 3-4 times units.

2. Pondarosa has a 40u container... why? I would assume that it's tightly packed.

3. Why Pondarosa cannot be stored?

http://imgur.com/a/hKWTO

Perhaps I will change my personal configs to suit my needs of consistency, if there is nothing what contradicts it. So here are my suggestions:

1. Change MSM to 800-900u (12containers*80u-some deduction)

2. Change MBU to 540-600u (8*80u-perhaps more deduction because it's the base unit ;-))

3. Pondarosa storage container size = 0 ; storage size =120

4. Change other storable inflatables storage sizes to higher values, e.g. IEM to 60-80u, ILM 50-60u etc.

I'm aware that this might change the playing with awesome MKS itsself, but I'm not using it anylonger because I need every Mb ram. So it's from the view of a stand alone fork.

P.S. Wth can I do with the rover adapter? How to use it?

The rover adapter is to attach to the sides of the MBU and then attach the PackRat rover (from roverdudes exploration pack) rear chassis section to it giving you an easy KAS storable means to move MBU/MCM modules around on the ground

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.