[Retired] Multipurpose Colony Modules for MKS/OKS (0.4.5)

Angelo Kerman

I am waiting on KAS to be updated to 1.0.2, MCM uses it significantly for things like attaching the crew tubes together, especially the "store" functionality used to mount inflatable modules to the MBU. I have been so busy with DSEV for the past three months, I haven't had time to even look at the new KIS to see if it handles what I need.

I'm also in the planning stges, rethinking modules and efficiency parts. My thought is to have an upgrade for the MCM and MBU to make it larger to accommodate things like the factory modules. An Engineer would take RocketParts and upgrade the module. For orbiting modules you have the Homestead. Sme templates, but in one case you'd need an upgrade to gain the functionality unless you want to land a Homestead on the ground.

I have to do a bunch of rewrites to handle changes in the converters so now is a good time to rethink the design. Plus, Multipurpose Colony Modules was my second published mod (the first was NuclearEngines, now named DSEV), and I've learned a bunch since then. MCM needs cleanup...

Anyway, DSEV is still taking up all my time but it looks like I'll be done in a couple of releases. Hopefully by then KAS will be good to go. I really appreciate your patience, the mod is by no means dead. :)

KAS was just updated *smile*

Yup! Noticed right after posting that. I will try to sneak in some conversion work between DSEV updates but it may take a bit.

WE all know you are working hard, no rush :) (im not getting near my PC for the next 4 days due to effin wildfires anyways)

I am waiting on KAS to be updated to 1.0.2, MCM uses it significantly for things like attaching the crew tubes together, especially the "store" functionality used to mount inflatable modules to the MBU. I have been so busy with DSEV for the past three months, I haven't had time to even look at the new KIS to see if it handles what I need.

I'm also in the planning stges, rethinking modules and efficiency parts. My thought is to have an upgrade for the MCM and MBU to make it larger to accommodate things like the factory modules. An Engineer would take RocketParts and upgrade the module. For orbiting modules you have the Homestead. Sme templates, but in one case you'd need an upgrade to gain the functionality unless you want to land a Homestead on the ground.

I have to do a bunch of rewrites to handle changes in the converters so now is a good time to rethink the design. Plus, Multipurpose Colony Modules was my second published mod (the first was NuclearEngines, now named DSEV), and I've learned a bunch since then. MCM needs cleanup...

Anyway, DSEV is still taking up all my time but it looks like I'll be done in a couple of releases. Hopefully by then KAS will be good to go. I really appreciate your patience, the mod is by no means dead. :)

...annnd I just noticed that KAS has been updated. Yay! :) much thanks to KospY! Ok, now I can start converting MCM over to 1.0.2. This will take a bit as I'm still finishing up DSEV.

Unfortunately KIS doesn't have a function that works exactly like the store did for KAS. There are some ways to sort of achieve it depending on how you used it before. KIS is also tougher with bigger/heavier items. Personally I prefer it as it is a bit more realistic, but it makes things more "interesting"

I noticed that MKS/OKS is finally getting stock-alike textures. Yay! :) That was one of the things I didn't like about the otherwise fabulous artwork: it didn't blend with stock. With the Mk3 space plane parts able to fit the MKS/OKS modules (another annoying issue was that they don't fit the KSOS orbiter), I'm considering retitring the mod as MKS/OKS has just about everything I want except for the space tent, and perhaps the Homestead, well, my space docks are nice and compact... I'm fine with retiring the mod, I have new ideas brewing... Anyway, given that info, what do other think about retiring the mod?

Trimmed back I can do, perhaps providing just the bits I like as an extension to MKS/OKS. Things like the Ponderosa, Homestead (actually I'm going to redesign it), and space docks. One reason for the modules changing function is that I hated how cluttered my parts catalog got. I couldn't find anything. Custom part categories changed that, and now all my mods have a custom category by mod for the parts they offer. Plus, the simplified module offering, which is great for gameplay, diminishes the need for a bunch of templates. Thanks for the input. :) other thoughts?

The Ponderosa definitely needs to stay. It's too cool to vanish! Maybe it can be a lighter, more portable, but less-efficient (or less-effective) cousin to the permanent colony modules.

Ponderosa is definitely staying. What might be interesting is to expand upon the idea of space camping... Maybe discard the rigid modules in favor of KIS portable and inflatable ones... The downside being that you have to supply all the resources separately, which brings the need for the MSM, or bringing a logistics module to ship stuff in.

And with enough resources, you can upgrade the tent into something larger and more permanent. Or, there is a larger space tent... The larger module gives you space for refineries and such. I could also see an inflatable storage hub or maybe a modified inflatable multipurpose warehouse that doubles as a hub for efficiency parts.

Edited by Angel-125

I could, but I think I've got a roadmap for the next iteration:

SkyDock Modules:

- Pretty much unchanged from existing version.

Multipurpose Storage Module (advConstruction):

- Templates recalibrated to 1L units.

Ponderosa Multipurpose Colony Module (specializedConstruction):

- 5m dome with integrated base. Modified from existing artwork.

- Some assembly required- needs RocketParts to complete.

- Can be packed up, and will give Recycleables when packed up.

- Used for multipurpose storage (all), Aeroponics, Kerbitat, Pioneer

- Aeroponics and Kerbitat need efficiency parts.

- Compact form is standard KIS container size.

Saloon Advanced Colony Module (composites):

- 10-12m dome with integrated base for Mk3+ equivalent.

- Can be packed up and will give Recycleables when packed up.

- Supports all MKS colony modules, no efficiency parts needed.

- Compact form is standard KIS container size, perhaps a 2u packing size.

KOTS Module (specializedConstruction):

- Smaller and lighter version of the Logistics Module used for resource transfers.

- Supports all DSEV/DeepFreeze resources in addition to MKS/OKS.

- Longer delivery times.

- Less max transfer mass.

- Stock appearance.

I could, but I think I've got a roadmap for the next iteration:

SkyDock Modules:

Multipurpose Storage Module (advConstruction):

- Templates recalibrated to 1L units.

Ponderosa Multipurpose Colony Module (specializedConstruction):

- 5m dome with integrated base. Modified from existing artwork.

- Can be packed up, and will give Recycleables when packed up.

- Used for multipurpose storage (all), Aeroponics, Kerbitat, Pioneer

- Aeroponics and Kerbitat need efficiency parts.

- Compact form is standard KIS container size.

Saloon Advanced Colony Module (composites):

- 10-12m dome with integrated base for Mk3+ equivalent.

- Can be packed up and will give Recycleables when packed up.

- Supports all MKS colony modules, no efficiency parts needed.

- Compact form is standard KIS container size, perhaps a 2u packing size.

KOTS Module (specializedConstruction):

- Smaller and lighter version of the Logistics Module used for resource transfers.

- Supports all DSEV/DeepFreeze resources in addition to MKS/OKS.

- Longer delivery times.

- Less max transfer mass.

- Stock appearance.

Sounds awesome so far, I love the idea of the inflatable tents and buildings, what about an inflatable solar array, or oxygen farm?

Sounds awesome so far, I love the idea of the inflatable tents and buildings, what about an inflatable solar array, or oxygen farm?

Well, the MKS/OKS PDU supplies electricity and the Greenhouse helps make Supplies from what I've seen, but I see what you're saying about the PDU: too bulky for camping. I remember seeing NASA artwork for solar arrays unrolled on the Moon, that might be interesting to make... :)

Well, the MKS/OKS PDU supplies electricity and the Greenhouse helps make Supplies from what I've seen, but I see what you're saying about the PDU: too bulky for camping. I remember seeing NASA artwork for solar arrays unrolled on the Moon, that might be interesting to make... :)

sweet :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh i just thought of this, what about some deployable inflatable lights? too weird?

Gotta keep it fresh and exciting for you too, lol

Yeah definitely. I like the art I did for the mod, but it's time for a new direction and I just love the idea of camping out with MKS/OKS. :)

In addition to the SkyDocks and smaller logistics module and Ponderosa and Saloon, I'm adding:

Portable Light Pole

Carpet Solar Array

Mini fusion reactor (which I need for DSEV)

Possibly a microwave emitter/receiver set so you can leave the PDU in orbit and beam power down to the camp site.

Portable Drill (smaller version of stock drill)

Basically the theme is small, light, portable, and KIS/KAS usable.

Yeah definitely. I like the art I did for the mod, but it's time for a new direction and I just love the idea of camping out with MKS/OKS. :)

In addition to the SkyDocks and smaller logistics module and Ponderosa and Saloon, I'm adding:

Portable Light Pole

Carpet Solar Array

Possibly a microwave emitter/receiver set so you can leave the PDU in orbit and beam power down to the camp site.

Cool :) .

Portable Light Pole

Carpet Solar Array

I thought of something else, and i know it's impossible, but i thought i'd share my flight of fancy.....ready

you aren't ready....

AN INFLATABLE ROVER.....

like i said a flight of fancy but it would be fun.

If a full camp's worth of equipment can be packed into the big KIS cylinder it'd be pretty neat. Any idea how much KIS space the Ponderosa and Saloon will take up?

I see them packed into the size of a standard KIS container, so whatever the size of a KIS container is, that's the answer. :)

I'm really sad to see the configurable greebling go, because I abhor the MKS/OKS palette-swapping with the same base underneath and the horrific 'cages' on all the surface colony stuff. Having the ability to give the various buildings unique-ish silhouettes was what I was looking forward to most with this mod, but i guess all things change :/

On the other hand, I'm super-excited to hear that the watchwords for the update are 'small, light, portable' because the current MKS stuff is obscenely huge and fairly well prevents one from actually playing with it until you unlock the 2.5 meter stuff and even then you have to have overbuilt launchers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.