[Retired] Multipurpose Colony Modules for MKS/OKS (0.4.5)

Angelo Kerman

Thx. This might explain why I didn't get it managed to pull MBU with wheels around. I also used two adapters... Biggest issue I've is that MCMs attached to MBU are mostly top-heavy, which makes it difficult to handle on non-flat ground.

The CTT config is almost done. After 10 hours of testing and consulting knowledgeable people I can tell its finally working.

Beta version - subject to changing

ctt_small.png

P.S. Angel-125, RoverDude released a new MKS version today, I made some config changes and submitted a pull request at Github,

Edited by Enceos

The CTT config is almost done. After 10 hours of testing and consulting knowledgeable people I can tell its finally working.

http://www.areadenialgames.com/ksp/ctt_small.png

P.S. Angel-125, RoverDude released a new MKS version today, I made some config changes and submitted a pull request at Github,

Thanks for this! I <3 CTT

Hi Angel, after some time and a bunch of contracts I´m back to your awesome mod|fork to build a new base with this pretty-looking, smart engineered modules.

Unfortunately I've the same bug as mentioned above regarding the GUI-switch. But I'm sure youre already fiddling around with it.

Something I was wondering about and want to give you/others some food for thought is the KAS storage volume of the different parts:

1. MSM/MBU has a 240/167u storage container. Although there's room for 3-4 times units.

2. Pondarosa has a 40u container... why? I would assume that it's tightly packed.

3. Why Pondarosa cannot be stored?

http://imgur.com/a/hKWTO

Perhaps I will change my personal configs to suit my needs of consistency, if there is nothing what contradicts it. So here are my suggestions:

1. Change MSM to 800-900u (12containers*80u-some deduction)

2. Change MBU to 540-600u (8*80u-perhaps more deduction because it's the base unit ;-))

3. Pondarosa storage container size = 0 ; storage size =120

4. Change other storable inflatables storage sizes to higher values, e.g. IEM to 60-80u, ILM 50-60u etc.

I'm aware that this might change the playing with awesome MKS itsself, but I'm not using it anylonger because I need every Mb ram. So it's from the view of a stand alone fork.

P.S. Wth can I do with the rover adapter? How to use it?

Thanks for the feedback, nice research. :) I can see that the KAS storage needs adjustments. In fact I've recalibrated resource amounts to the MSM, which is equal to a Rockomax-16 (1600 units of storage, where 1 unit = 5 liters), since I no longer need to use the MKS storage drum as the standard size. In short, you'll have more storage for resources. You'll see that in the next release for new constructions.

The Ponderosa is KAS storable, I just verified it. The stored size is 90 KAS units.

I appreciate the pull request, thanks. :)

Get the latest here.

- Fixed an issue with colony modules getting stuck when switching between templates.

NOTE: Be sure to transfer out any resources you may have in the module before switching the template out in the field. I'll look into a way to do that automagically in a future release because I'd find that real aggravating.

- With the exception of the Pioneer and Life Support templates, recalibrated the storage templates to be based on the Multipurpose Storage Module's 1600-unit capacity (equal to a Rockomax-16). In general, storage capacities will be increased. You'll see these changes on new construction.

- Fixed an issue with the Kerbitat where it would not include its resources when switching to the template.

- ModuleManager configs no longer use FINAL statements where possible.

- Incorporated latest MKS updates- Thanks Enceos! Remember, you still need to download MKS/OKS separately.

- Incorporated the CTT config by Akira_R & Enceos. Thanks Akira_R & Enceos! :)

Edited by Angel-125

Thanks for the feedback, nice research. :) I can see that the KAS storage needs adjustments. In fact I've recalibrated resource amounts to the MSM, which is equal to a Rockomax-16 (1600 units of storage, where 1 unit = 5 liters), since I no longer need to use the MKS storage drum as the standard size. In short, you'll have more storage for resources. You'll see that in the next release for new constructions.

The Ponderosa is KAS storable, I just verified it. The stored size is 90 KAS units.

Wow, pretty, fast, clean... thx for updating!!!

I've looked into the config of PondErosa (sry for misspelling), because I couldn't choose it when editing the container. There's a line missing...

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.10, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
attachNodeName = bottom
attachOnStatic = True
customGroundPos = true
dropPartPos = (0.0, -0.1, -0.75)
dropPartRot = (-10.0, 0.0, 0.0)
bayType = containerB
bayNode = bottom
bayRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
[U][I][B] storable = true[/B][/I][/U]
storedSize = 90
}

With it editing containers is working as expected.

I've some issues with skydock 375...

I've launched one to mun orbit connected to command module and some storage modules...

First I wasn't able to éxtend the dock... after looking into the save, I've recognized, that isInflatable and showGUI was set to false... after setting it to true, it works until next (auto)save. If once extended GUI "retract" stays visible.

Bigger problem is, that I cannot recycle my ship. I'm familiar with EPL, so I thought I've to aim for the skydock, but there's no "set as target" like EPL-Recycler has. So I tried free hand aiming but nothing happens when the ship has contact to the skydock. Neither with Jeb as commander nor without him.

EDIT: according to Skydock 375: There's a module missing in the cfg

MODULE
{
name = ExTarget

TargetName = Recycling Bin

TargetTransform = Target

}

That solves "set as target", but recycler doesn't work.

Edit II: with code above the target is somehow rotated... 90 degrees to skydock axis...

aXmpMAe.png

I've found an exploit, but I think it's already known. If you inflate Homestead in VAB and remove all resource its costs are below zero. You can launch and deflate it at the launchpad and be lucky about credits out of nothing :wink:.

EDIT III: Scrap parts isn't working in the sense of resources are lost. It needs room for recycleables in a storage container nearby... Perhaps Roverdude has changed something with new release, because there are the following modules in his storage-container cfgs and missing in WBI-modules

MODULE
{
name = USI_ModuleResourceWarehouse
}

MODULE
{
name = USI_ModuleRecycleBin
}

Edited by funk

The USI_ModuleResourceWarehouse enables colony tools calculations for the containers.

I made a config for myself to add it:

[FONT=Verdana]@PART[WBI_Homestead|WBI_IMW|WBI_MBU2|WBI_MSM]
[/FONT]{
MODULE
{
name = USI_ModuleResourceWarehouse
}
}

The USI_ModuleRecycleBin lets containers catch Recyclables, it was added in the last patch of MCM.

Edited by Enceos

Very nice, I never thought about making placeholder parts for the upgrades, ensuring the nodes shows up even if no other parts use it, genius lol

Hello.

I'm trying to start a colony with MKS and thought Multipurpose would reduce a lot of clutter. But now I can't find a Command module, which I'm told is the unit to start with. When I switch between colony module configurations, Command is not one of the options...

What should I do?

Hello.

I'm trying to start a colony with MKS and thought Multipurpose would reduce a lot of clutter. But now I can't find a Command module, which I'm told is the unit to start with. When I switch between colony module configurations, Command is not one of the options...

What should I do?

It will either be called the Colony Control Center (C3) or the Colony Hub, don't remember which template name shows up :blush:

That's the command and control part you want to start with.

Hello.

What should I do?

Multipurpose Colony Modules works differently than MKS/OKS. You start with a Multipurpose Colony Module, Homestead, or Ponderosa. Activate the Module Operations Manager and select the template you want to use. After adding the new modyle, the Colony Hub template will be the second template in the list.

Hi Angel, first I want to emphasize, that I love your mod and I appreciate all the time and work you put into it. That's said, pls don't dissapprove my attempt to help you to improve some parts of MCM.

For further releases pls could you add some surface attachment nodes to MCM, MSM and MBU. Without they're clipping into the parent parts e.g. when attached to radial stack decouplers. THX

[U][B]MCM & MSM[/B][/U]:
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 1.25, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0[B][U]
MBU:[/U][/B]
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.88, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0

Hi Angel, first I want to emphasize, that I love your mod and I appreciate all the time and work you put into it. That's said, pls don't dissapprove my attempt to help you to improve some parts of MCM.

For further releases pls could you add some surface attachment nodes to MCM, MSM and MBU. Without they're clipping into the parent parts e.g. when attached to radial stack decouplers. THX

[U][B]MCM & MSM[/B][/U]:
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 1.25, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0[B][U]
MBU:[/U][/B]
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.88, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0

Hello funk, could you please provide some screens of your problem? It's unclear what are the parent parts you mention and there's a fundamental difference between radial and stack decouplers.

Hi,

I guess these are not remade MKS parts there was some confusion on my part - lol part. (EDIT: I guess these ARE in fact remade MKS/OKS parts - those parts have severe issues already this is compounding them..if that is just me then fine but I know of a fact that some people wont even touch MKS/OKS; I havnt a clue what all the MKS/OKS templates are doing whether or not they are creating hidden parts...I am checking this out on stream love it or leave it...I am not a happy camper here as I thought your parts were "ORIGINAL").

Upon closer inspection...just more parts with MKS confusion.

Okay so I am looking at the MOD...the decals, the parts layout (very bad in my opinion) similar to MKS/OKS as in putting all the parts in one folder and the graphics in another...honestly people do us a favor and sort out your parts; no one is gonna use every part in a MOD and using this convention makes it impossible to customize; this is the same issue with MKS/OKS parts management I dont care what CKAN is either I prefer to manage my own parts.

At least put similar configs in the same folder with their respective models and shared assets in that Asset folder; I think I have another folder of yours with sorted parts by the way...I forgot what was in it but it is in my main list of MODS. One can still save on graphics memory by doing this. (EDIT: Wow I guess I was wrong; I just found your cgf's in a template folder - this to me is a disaster - no wonder I was running out of memory probly loading parts that werent even there...sorry)

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta
MOD confusion on my part - earlier...2) addendum 3) First impressions are everything ...this time I was right

*snip uninteligable gibber*

You good sir simply lack an understanding of MKS/OKS and this mod. For starters MKS/OKS and this mod utilize shared assets, thereby drastically reducing the memory footprint of the mod. What this means is multiple parts are going to use the same model and texture, and then have a different decal applied to them depending on what the part actually is and what it does.

The reason MKS/OKS and this mod aren't set up in a way in which you can easily pick and choose parts is because that would break the intended functionality of the mod. These mods are supposed to allow you to create a functioning self sufficient base/space station, every part accomplishes a necessary step on the path of converting waste products into life support products in a semi realistic way, in addition to being able to mine and refine resources into useful fuels and materials.

If you are intending to use them simply for their aesthetic value that is outside of the intended use of this mod, in which case you are entirely on your own and the mod author has absolutely zero obligation to provide support for you.

As for the Templates, they are't part configs, this mod only adds what five or six individual parts. There is then a custom coded plugin that allows you to then take that single part and change it between different templates, allowing it to fulfill the roll of multiple different parts. All of this not only decreases memory usage but also reduces clutter in the part menu.

So your memory issues are most likely entirely due to you not knowing what the hell you are doing.

You should also know that loading parts does not increase memory load, it's loading textures, if you have 500 parts all using the same texture, guess what memory usage will be very very low.

Perhaps you should gain some basic understanding of what you are talking about before cluttering the forum with useless rude garbage.

@Cdr_Zeta:

It sounds like you have issues with MKS/OKS to begin with, and that mod isn't for you. It's clearly stated up front on the first post of the first page of this thread that MCM is built on top of MKS/OKS, it requires MKS/OKS to be downloaded, and contains parts that retain the functionality of MKS/OKS but does so in a way that reduces the parts catalog clutter and provides a stock-like appearance. The very nature of the mod means that a number of the parts are replacements for their MKS/OKS equivalents.

Given your stance on MKS/OKS, this mod wouldn't be your cup of tea either. Anybody else evaluating the mod is encouraged to read the first page to properly set expectations.

For the curious, the assets are organized the way they are precisely because they share the textures. The parts themselves are clearly labeled, so anyone who doesn't want a particular part can easily find the config file and .mu and remove them. Don't want the MCM? No problem, simply delete the MCM.mu and MCMPart.cfg. Deleting the textures as well will result in parts you don't delete having texture issues, since they're shared as much as possible to conserve texture memory. The decals and templates are left separate to make it easy to add new configurations, and they're shared as well- the MCM, Homestead, and Ponderosa, for instance, all make use of the same templates, so you're not duplicating MKS/OKS configurations depending upon the part you use.

Edit: There's also a limitation of KSP to consider regarding texture management. I've learned through experience that KSP requires a part's textures to be in the same directory as the part itself. That's true even if you replace the textures through the MODEL node. What I've found is that you can create placeholder textures and then replace them through the MODEL node in the part's config file, but now you've got a bunch of placeholders for each part that you use the technique with. Even at 64x64px (the minimum size), those textures add up. So better to place models and textures in the same directory for those models that share the same textures, and save some memory by not requiring those placeholders.

If memory is an issue, try using Active Texture Management and/or the -opengl switch. If you're really memory starved, the second post on the first page shows you how to remove textures and assets from MKS/OKS that aren't used- keeping in mind that the mod already has a small memory footprint. I regularly run with quite a few mods including MKS/OKS without alterations, KSOS without alterations, EVE, Near Future Technologies, CactEye, TAC, and a host of others, and they run just fine for me.

Edited by Angel-125

It was suggested I delete my post - fine; however nowhere in the download is there credit given to, or previous work attributed to the author(s) of MKS/OKS; it doesnt matter if the forum or websites give credit; it belongs in the download as well as the parts; 2 Manufacturers or more; not just 1 (yours); this implied to me a license violation; I guess I was wrong on that front; I guess it is okay for people to do this kind of thing; too bad; no credit; no MOD in my game.

Maybe this isnt a violation, but it sure is MISLEADING.

My first impression of your website:

http://angel-125.github.io/

Told me this was an original authored MOD; then in fine print I see now the MKS/OKS reference; all that is fine; but who did all the work here (?); the people in fine print? No.

If yer trying to improve a MOD that is also fine; but the fine print needs to be bigger and included in the download; how else are us users to to solve MOD conflicts? It is either this MOD or MKS type of thing; not both.

I have a problem with seeing and using other peoples' MODS that werent their original work; there is another MOD I have I am questioning; 1 small little insignificant backpack; I like the pack; but it was copied from a MODDER who has done alot of work on his MODS; it doesnt look good.

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta
1)no license violation post retracted; no violation

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.