[Retired] Multipurpose Colony Modules for MKS/OKS (0.4.5)

Angelo Kerman

@DMSP: Great! Good to see that the mod is working for you. Thanks parrots for lending a hand. :)

Will it be KAS-storable as well?
If he does make it storable, it will be a large item. Better solution is still probably to just mount one on a KAS rack.
I have added some very large storage containers to my game, I figure if it's KAS-portable it should be KAS-storable. :D

The Ponderosa can be mounted to the standard KAS storage rack- the thingy you attach to the side of your ships that accepts the Container Type A and Container Type B. I hadn't considered making it KAS storable as well, but it's larger than the Type B container, so it'll take 90 KAS units or there abouts (the Type B holds 80).

@DMSP: Great! Good to see that the mod is working for you. Thanks parrots for lending a hand. :)

I try to be useful. :)

The Ponderosa can be mounted to the standard KAS storage rack- the thingy you attach to the side of your ships that accepts the Container Type A and Container Type B. I hadn't considered making it KAS storable as well, but it's larger than the Type B container, so it'll take 90 KAS units or there abouts (the Type B holds 80).

I am OK with this. The storage containers are VERY large.

Oooh so it pops out from the side of the box it comes with. I thought the box sides just drop away and the module inflate right where it is located. I guess this allow for more rapid deployment though. Can't wait to test it out.

I tried that originally and realized that the kerbal would be caught under foot if I did it that way. I also had trouble with sticking the door on the inflatable section, so it went onto the box. It's actually sized pretty close to the Mk1 lander can...

Wait, it replaces the MKS modules? All of them, or just the regular ones?

Multipurpose Colony Modules replaces the classic MKS/OKS modules with ones that are more stock in appearance. But there's more to it than that. MCM provides just a few modules (the Multipurpose Colony Module, Homestead, and upcoming Ponderosa) that can be dynamically configured to the desired colony module (Colony Hub, PDU, etc). The storage units can be configured dynamically as well, as can the efficiency parts. Plus there is an MM config for Porkjet's Habitat Pack to turn them into efficiency parts as well. For the classic look, there is a MM_USI config file that hides the classic modules (coming in release 4.1), but you can easily delete the file if you want to keep the classic modules around.

In a nutshell:

Multipurpose Colony Module, Homestead, and Ponderosa replace the classic MKS/OKS modules

Multipurpose Base Unit replaces the classic base unit

Multipurpose Storage Module, Inflatable Multipurpose Module, Homestead (when used for storage, it can be storage or a colony module) replace the ILM and storage drums

Inflatable Extension Module, Inflatable Orbital Workshop Addition replace the hab dome, inflatable greenhouses and hab ring- but you can still use them as efficiency parts (I do on my own stations, they're cool)

Portable Crew Tube replaces the FlexOTube

Skydock250 and Skydock375 replace the orbital dockyard- and can tear down vessels in addition to building them.

All the parts are made to blend well with stock parts as much as my art skills currently allow- and I think my skills are getting better, the Ponderosa is the best I've done to date, IMO. Additionally, all the parts fit inside the KSOS Super25 shuttle, though that's a moot point now with the new stock MK3 parts. Actually the whole reason Multipurpose Colony Modules exists- aside from the fact that RoverDude's generous licensing and support allows it- was because the classic MKS modules didn't fit inside the Super25 particularly well, and I was tired of my parts catalog getting so cluttered. So I've been trying to keep the MCM parts to the minimum needed to get the job done while keeping to the stock-like look.

Speaking of which, once I finish up the Ponderosa, I'm setting my sights on one of the last colony module parts, something I've been intrigued with for awhile. Here's my reference:

Skylab Wet Workshop This presumes I can figure out how to make it work. I think I'll need a part that's basically a door, and you configure it into the desired colony module. Big tanks let you create either several small colony modules within the part, or one of the big ones (fuel refinery for instance). Maybe the larger the fuel tank, the bigger the productivity gains... With the multipurpose wet workshop, you'll be able to convert those shuttle tanks into usable space...

Once I have the multipurpose wet workshop, I can turn asteroids into colonies...

Edited by Angel-125

Did you take a look at Lunaran's Wetworks Crew Tanks? I used them for a while they worked great. Maybe the plugin code could give you some ideas.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61167-WIP-Wetworks-Crew-Tanks

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/795186902432010745/3D0ED82EA8D02F570007D1BC8EE2BA42B870B9B6/

So the part is a tank that transforms into crew quarters? Interesting! My approach is different in that any tank can be used, with the minimum size being the Rockomax-32. I think having multiple colony modules in one physical part is going to be really complicated, but turning one tank into a colony module is more doable, especially given that I already can add module code at runtime.

The workshop sounds like a great idea!

There was a mod which allows a small workshop to build individual KAS parts, which is great for maintenance and replacing the odd solar panel/tube:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108234

Something like a 3 workshop approach/combination would be great. The EPL for vessels, your WetWorkshop for main/various parts and the small more portable OSE Workshop for KAS parts.

The workshop sounds like a great idea!

There was a mod which allows a small workshop to build individual KAS parts, which is great for maintenance and replacing the odd solar panel/tube:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108234

Something like a 3 workshop approach/combination would be great. The EPL for vessels, your WetWorkshop for main/various parts and the small more portable OSE Workshop for KAS parts.

Oh yeah, that one was cool! I need to make a colony template for it...

So the part is a tank that transforms into crew quarters? Interesting! My approach is different in that any tank can be used, with the minimum size being the Rockomax-32. I think having multiple colony modules in one physical part is going to be really complicated, but turning one tank into a colony module is more doable, especially given that I already can add module code at runtime.

dtobi's mod has parts to convert tanks into wet workshops. Maybe you could use it? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84224-ON-HOLD-Klockheed-Martian-Special-Parts-V2-2-28-Nov-Dev-Thread

Also really looking forward to the new parts for my Minmus base. Keep up the good work!

Mother of God.

How did I not see this thread before? These are amazing, especially (now) including the Ponderosa.

I was already planning on using some form of MKS/OKS for my next career game, but I think these just won the contract.

(one niggle - in your last pic, it looks like the access tubes for the workshop modules are lit (apparently from within) but the rest of the module - and the tubes on the adjacent Ponderosa(s) - is/are not. Could you sort this out? Personally, I'd prefer them dark.)

Edited by Commander Zoom

I'm having issues updating from 0.30 to 0.40, when I load using version 0.40 KSP throws errors loading my existing save file. I deflated and stowed the only IMEM I have, but the error still occurs, I suspect the problem is from loading the old multipurpose base units but I'm having trouble tracking down the specific problem. Has anyone else had this problem and found a workaround?

@lurkoholic: oh nice, the models are public domain. I would only need to make a logo panel. Then again, I could just reuse the Ponderosa box and add a boos protective lid. Hm...

@Commander Zoom: I can remove the specular map on the transfer tubes, no problem. Glad you like the mod. :)

@LordOOTFD: I will take a look when I get home. What is the error?

I'm having some problems finding the Ponderosa Module. I'm not seeing it show up in game or in the mod's assets for that matter. Tested on a clean install (UKS and this mod only). I've also downloaded and installed the mod again, moving both the WildBlue and Firespiter Folders into GameData, with no change. I can see there are Ponderosa-related assets on the MCM Github page, but none in the GameData folder. Could there be an omission, or am I going crazy?

The rest of the pack is quite nice though, and solve many of the issues I have with standard MKS/OKS. Thank you very much for making this.

The readme suggests otherwise:

- Added the Ponderosa Advanced Colony Module (ACM). Ponderosa is the penultimate colony module in Wild Blue Industries' product line. When deflated, it can be carried on the back of a Kerbal on EVA, fits standard KAS container bays, and is easily deployed in the field. Once deployed, it will require Machinery to configure into the desired colony module (this is in addition to the Machinery required by most modules to operate).

Could this be a mistake? I can't seem to make it out ether way.

The readme suggests otherwise:

Could this be a mistake? I can't seem to make it out ether way.

Oh that's my bad, sorry about that. I originally intended to release the Ponderosa with 0.4.0. I'm tracking down some issues with it but hope to have those done this weekend. One thing I don't like is that due to being inflatable, I don't know how to trick KAS into adding attachment nodes once inflated. That means you have to *gasp* manually align the extension parts. I'll create a pre-release shortly but you're guaranteed to have bugs...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.