[Retired] Multipurpose Colony Modules for MKS/OKS (0.4.5)

Angelo Kerman

A "short time" later...

PRE Release 0.4.1 Git it here

Warning: This is a pre-release and likely to contain bugs. If you run into an issue, please provide me with details on how to reproduce it. Help me help you...

Known Issues: If you drop the Ponderosa, it might explode on impact with the ground. This is a KAS issue. The Ponderosa has no handy attachment nodes to make it store extension parts and such.

- Added the Ponderosa, Wild Blue Industries’ top of the line colonization module. The Ponderosa can be stored in a KAS container (it takes up 90 KAS units of space) and stored on a standard KAS container bay. To deploy the Ponderosa, simply grab the module while on EVA, walk or fly over to the desired site, drop the module, and deploy it. Optionally, you can attach it to the ground before deployment, but you’ll need to re-orient the module first.

- Added the Portable Crew Tube (PCT). The PCT is just like the Flex-O-Tube except that the PCT has a more stock-like appearance and it can be stored on the MBU for easy attachment.

- Repositioned the location where new spacecraft are spawned by the Skydock250 and Skydock375. Hopefully that will reduce the chances of the docks causing an explosion when spawning new craft.

- Added MM config file to hide unused MKS/OKS parts. They’re still around, just not shown in the editor. If you want to keep those parts available, simply remove the MM_USI.cfg file.

- Added MM config file for KSOS modules: The cupola can now become a Colony Command Center; the station power module can now become a PDU; the KerbaLab can now become a Multipurpose Colony Module; the hydroponics module may be used as an efficiency part for the Aeroponics module; and the habitat module may be used as an efficiency part for the Kerbitat.

NOTE: You might need to delete your ModuleManager.CONFIGCACHE and ModuleManager.ConfigSHA.CONFIGSHA file, located in the GameData folder, for the MM config changes to take effect.

- Added OSE workshop to the Fabricator template. Now you can print KAS grabbable and storable parts! OSE Workshop by ObiVanDamme downloaded separately. Link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108234-0-90-OSE-Workshop-KAS-Addon-%28v0-2-0-2015-01-26%29

NOTE: If you don't have the OSE Workshop, no worries, Multipurpose Colony Modules won't complain (but you are missing out...)

...And I just had an insight about the original MBU. No need to list it as Obsolete, I can simple MM config it out of the catalog. Duh...

Edited by Angel-125

Think I found a repeatable bug with the prerelease, possibly applies to earlier versions but not sure. Steps:

- Put homstead module in the VAB, change it to whatever type. I tried the Machinery Plant.

- Duplicate it by alt-clicking, then place it. It will now have lots and lots of different resources in it - more than intended for that module, I think. May be all of the possible resources...

Hey out of curiosity have you thought about including Station Science modules in your mod?

Being completely honest the station science models are... not very nice. But your set up is fantastic and being able to integrate them into a ground base so those kerbals can have some research to do while they sit on minmus would be super awesome!

Edit: I'm guessing for the OSE KAS printer all that is needed is the workshop pugin

Edited by Akira_R

Hey out of curiosity have you thought about including Station Science modules in your mod?

Being completely honest the station science models are... not very nice. But your set up is fantastic and being able to integrate them into a ground base so those kerbals can have some research to do while they sit on minmus would be super awesome!

Edit: I'm guessing for the OSE KAS printer all that is needed is the workshop pugin

Pretty sure that station science is getting a model rework to make it more stock-a-like

MCM could integrate Station Science by supplying a template config for the labs and storage template configs for the resources, but you would still need the experiment modules. I suppose you could create a multipurpose experiment module though... You would also need custom decals as well, which are just PNG images. I do not know if Station Science's license would permit such a thing, but it is technically possible since I designed MCM to dynamically add PartModules it finds in the templates, and they don't have to be MKS part modules.

I see, sounds like your set up shouldn't be to difficult to learn how to modify, keeping the experiment modules isn't an issue to me.

I already remove the lab parts from the game as is, I generally make my own welded parts for space stations, and then add in station science and MKS part modules to my liking. But making ground bases has always been something of a bother to me, can never find a look I like and they can be such a pain to get on the ground and lined up right.

When I saw that Ponderosa inflatable though I was like "THAT'S IT!!! this is what I have been looking for all along!" lol

I will see if I can get something working, at least for personal use, and if the station science license permits I could post it up if others are interested.

i need some advice on how to deploy the ponderosa, can't make it work in any way. It doesn't want to attach to the ground and lacks animation of attach process, on the version before 0.4.2 it at least did the animation (with the module always bottom up -> no successful attachment), maybe it's something on my end, but the rest works, just the ponderosa bugging out

Seems the Fuel Refinery creates resources that I have no use for. Would it be possible to use ModuleManager to generate KolonyConverters that detect other mods? Although new to modding, I'd be willing to contribute configurations for mods I use.

From a preliminary glance at the ModuleManager Documentation, I noticed that MKSTEMPLATE ConfigurationNodes have no name (not sure what to think about the uniqueness implications), but you can get around this with selecting using HAS.

Also encountered a bug on 0.4.1 where I created a corrupted craft file using these parts, I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Seems the Fuel Refinery creates resources that I have no use for. Would it be possible to use ModuleManager to generate KolonyConverters that detect other mods? Although new to modding, I'd be willing to contribute configurations for mods I use.

From a preliminary glance at the ModuleManager Documentation, I noticed that MKSTEMPLATE ConfigurationNodes have no name (not sure what to think about the uniqueness implications), but you can get around this with selecting using HAS.

Also encountered a bug on 0.4.1 where I created a corrupted craft file using these parts, I'll see if I can reproduce it.

I have been thinking about that. Right now MCM blindly adds KolonyConverters regardless of whether or not the appropriate mod exists. What I can do is add a field on the template's converter that is used to determine if a mod exists. I actually do that already for whole templates. Look for the needs field. The change I am proposing would apply to individual converters. So for example if you do not have NuclearEngines installed then you won't get the FusionPellets or Glykerol.

ModuleManager won't help is this case but the above changes will. Expect to see that change in the next release.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.