[0.25/0.90] TechManager Version 1.5

anonish

That's what it was. Didn't know that was intended behavior, it is a bit counterintuitive. If I wasn't a "click everything" person I might have assumed that something was wrong and the trees weren't loading.

Made sense to me.. :)

Seems like it was a bad choice though, scerion had a problem that (i hope) amounts to the same thing.

Guess I'll grey everything else out instead of not showing it? I'd still like there to be some way to make TM do as little as possible for save games where players don't want it. I don't want people coming back after having chosen 'None' AND some other tree and saying that doesn't work either. :/

I think it'd be fine to still have the "None" option available and selected by default, but possibly move it out of the tree selection box (greyed out trees in the box). Having it outside the box ( another radio button above the tree field?) would create the correct logical disconnect between it and the ability to select trees.

Of course, just greying out the others would work too...

Having a default of stock is probably a good intelligent default.

Well, sure. The problem is that 'KSP Stock' isn't stock exactly. Its a generated tree I make by reading AssetBase. 'None', actually disables TM as much as I could get away with.

To further the distinction: if you disable tm (choose None), then you will not get a drop down button in the R&D building and Alt-F7 won't do anything. If you choose 'KSP Stock', you will continue to have the option to add or remove other trees via Alt-F7 and choose from them with the drop down.

Sounds like just don't have a disable option? Maybe a second menu on startup to ask if you want to disable only, and then move on to tree selection?

EDIT:

possibly move it out of the tree selection box (greyed out trees in the box)

hm. just make it stand out more then. k.

Edited by anonish

I apparently didn't wait long enough, it finished scanning and showed me options. Perhaps some sort of "Scanning, please wait..." while it scans for additional trees? It's not a long wait but would allay peoples ideas it's perhaps not working.

But it seems to be working as intended, sorry for the issues :)

I'm still trying to get the other tree to work right now.

Made sense to me.. :)

Seems like it was a bad choice though, scerion had a problem that (i hope) amounts to the same thing.

Guess I'll grey everything else out instead of not showing it? I'd still like there to be some way to make TM do as little as possible for save games where players don't want it. I don't want people coming back after having chosen 'None' AND some other tree and saying that doesn't work either. :/

Ohhh I see I see, yes this seems to be the case. ignore my last post then about the scanning stuff :P

Okay, found the issue with the Mod Oriented Tree. After editing the cfg to include the necessary wrapper, it still wouldn't see the tree in the save folder.

I added a new copy of that same tree in the TechManager folder and it now sees that one (I gave it a different id than the other one i had in my save folder so could ensure which one I knew it was picking based off the TechManager.cfg file)

So basically, it's not seeing the tree cfg files in your save folder, but does recognize ones in the TechManager.

Though, i've only tested with this tree so far, I'll have to throw some more in the save folder to see if it sees them.

So basically, it's not seeing the tree cfg files in your save folder, but does recognize ones in the TechManager.

This is expected behavior and documented in the installation.txt file. Any TECHNOLOGY_TREE_DEFINITION trees should be under GameData. Any old format 'tree.cfg' files (must have that name exactly) should be in the save game folder, and are not visible until you Left-Alt-F7 while in the R&D center.

This is expected behavior and documented in the installation.txt file. Any TECHNOLOGY_TREE_DEFINITION trees should be under GameData. Any old format 'tree.cfg' files (must have that name exactly) should be in the save game folder, and are not visible until you Left-Alt-F7 while in the R&D center.

ahh okay that was my confusion over it all then.

Hey guys, apologies for what might be a kerbal-sized stupid question, but I'm trying to apply TechManager in lieu of Treeloader for my KSPI game, and I'm getting the following error:

[Exception]: IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\DestructiblesTest\TechManager.cfg".

I did my best to follow the simple instructions, but I'm not accustomed to playing around in the guts of KSP.

Am I missing something simple? :)

Hey guys, apologies for what might be a kerbal-sized stupid question, but I'm trying to apply TechManager in lieu of Treeloader for my KSPI game, and I'm getting the following error:

[Exception]: IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\DestructiblesTest\TechManager.cfg".

I did my best to follow the simple instructions, but I'm not accustomed to playing around in the guts of KSP.

Am I missing something simple? :)

hm. well, does that path exist? is TechManager.cfg there? are you using ksp .25?

hm. well, does that path exist? is TechManager.cfg there? are you using ksp .25?

Hey!

Actually, there's never been such a folder ever. I've never made a DestructiblesTest save, I thought that was something that came with the mod.

So I made that folder, and not knowing where TechManager.cfg was, I copied and renamed the UnofficialKSPI.cfg to TechManager.cfg in a vain attempt to fix it. It didn't work.

That may not have been the right anything do to, I'm not familiar with the guts of KSP. I was just curious if I was missing something obvious.

If I was trying to modify my KSP from TreeLoader to TechManager, can you please confirm the steps (including renaming files)?

1. Remove TreeLoader folder

2. Copy TechManager folder to Gamedata\

3. Rename tree.cfg in KSPI to TECHNOLOGY_TREE_DEFINITION.cfg

4. Run KSP 0.25, 32-bit mode (breaks my heart, I have 32 GB of RAM)

At this point, the game loads without errors, but when I click on my save, the button depresses, something processes, but then nothing happens and ALT-F12 shows the aforementioned error. It's probably any number of mods is causing some kind of weird problem, but all I did was delete TreeLoader and copy over TechManager. If I'm missing something obvious, I'm open to suggestions. I've maxed out my available tech tree in KSPI, and I'm craving fusion engines.

1. yes

2. yes

3. no no no. just get rid of tree.cfg if you are using TM 1.2 or (the pre-release 1.3). Choose Unofficial KSPI as your tree.

4. yes

If you didn't create that save, the I don't know where KSP got the name from. TM wants to load its own config file (TechManager.cfg) from your save folder and it relies on KSP to tell it where that folder is. 'DestructablesTest' is not from TM, no idea where that came from. Could be I'm reading the save folder wrong, but so far you are the only one reporting such an issue. Also, delete any TechManager.cfg file you made / renamed. TM will create its own.

Might want to try the 'one mod at a time' approach. Run a game with only TM and KSPI installed, then roll in the other mods if that works out for you.

1. yes

2. yes

3. no no no. just get rid of tree.cfg if you are using TM 1.2 or (the pre-release 1.3). Choose Unofficial KSPI as your tree.

4. yes

If you didn't create that save, the I don't know where KSP got the name from. TM wants to load its own config file (TechManager.cfg) from your save folder and it relies on KSP to tell it where that folder is. 'DestructablesTest' is not from TM, no idea where that came from. Could be I'm reading the save folder wrong, but so far you are the only one reporting such an issue. Also, delete any TechManager.cfg file you made / renamed. TM will create its own.

Might want to try the 'one mod at a time' approach. Run a game with only TM and KSPI installed, then roll in the other mods if that works out for you.

Roger dodger! Kept my old KSP safe somewhere, going to play around with the new one until I break it.

Thanks for your advice!

I honestly don't know how to make it more obvious. If you know a better way, let me know.

Part of the problem is that it looks like a radio button, not a checkbox. In my personal thoughtspace, you don't toggle radio buttons, you use them to choose one value of a set. Is there a checkbox widget you could use instead?

Its a unity GUI.Toggle. Which is effectively a checkbox. They are *all* toggles, just some are in a vertical scrollbar (which you won't see unless there are enough items).

Well... That sucks. It looks like a radio button, and had I not been keeping up with the thread, I likely would not have thought to click it. Not sure what else you could do. I did notice that the greyed out trees were indented a bit, but that could have been because they were greyed out... Can you put the vertical scrollbar in a deeper well that helps define it as separate from the initial toggle?

Part of the problem is that it looks like a radio button, not a checkbox. In my personal thoughtspace, you don't toggle radio buttons, you use them to choose one value of a set. Is there a checkbox widget you could use instead?

That was my error as well, I thought it was like Excel, where a grayed out radio button means you can't do anything with it.

Clicking on it revealed the other options, something I didn't find intuitive, but then, that's why we have threads!

Thanks again Anonish for your mod!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.