[0.25/0.90] TechManager Version 1.5

anonish

[Reporting problem]

For some reason, this mod is preventing me from loading existing saves. I have done tests on it to confirm that this is the mod causing the problem (adding mods one by one until I reproduce the issue), and the game loaded just fine when I removed only this mod from the whole set of mods I was using.

The game goes to the menu screen just fine, then when I go to select a save game and click "load" the game doesn't do anything. More clicks, still nothing.

It works fine when I create a new game though, so it must be something conflicting with the old saves? idk.

EDIT: tried creating new save, exiting then trying to reload the newly created game. This worked perfectly.

I tried to load both a career mode save and a sandbox mode save, both did not work. Career mode save was with interstellar mod installed. Saves were from 0.23.5 which I was previously playing.

I will happily provide the saves in question if you need to take a look at it.

I also tried to load up the career mode save with the "tree.cfg" and "WarpPlugin.cfg" removed from the save folder, this did not help resolve the issue. At this point I had to give up figuring this out.

For some reason the tech tree looks just fine when I loaded the save in without this mod, so I'll be playing without for the time being. Please figure out what is wrong :(

Settings:

32bit KSP 0.25.0

Win7 64bit OS

Edited by ebigunso

ebigunso, just because you can remove TechManager and the game works doesn't mean TM is the problem. Have you tried installing *only* TM? only TM and KSPI?

That said, the problem *could be* TM. Check your log file under KSP_Data/output_log.txt. It is often the only source of information. There might be some exceptions in there that could point in the right direction.

If your tech tree looked fine without TM... do you still have TreeLoader installed? By 'fine' do you mean stock nodes showed up, or that non-stock nodes showed up as well?

TreeLoader, I had deleted from the files at the time I tested. Also no TM either.

EDIT: About the nodes, I thought it was the KSPI tree as there were KSPI parts in places I remembered, but I took a more careful look to find the Fusion node gone. So maybe it wasn't loading the KSPI tree after all without.

I will try with only TM installed when I have time. For the time being, I checked in the log file and found this line, the only lines containing the word TechManager and showing some sort of error. idk anything about coding so I have no idea if this points to anything but posting just in case.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\KSP\saves\DestructiblesTest\TechManager.cfg".
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.File.Open (System.String path, FileMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName, System.String header) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TechManager.TechManager.SaveLocalConfig () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TechManager.TechManager.OnGameStateSave (.ConfigNode cfg) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventData`1[ConfigNode].Fire (.ConfigNode data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Game.Save (.ConfigNode rootNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GamePersistence.SaveGame (.Game game, System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MainMenu.ConfirmLoadGame () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MainMenu.DrawLoadGame (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

EDIT: I tried loading my old saves with only the TechManager and stock game files in the GameData folder, the problem persisted. I'm pretty sure it's the TM causing the problem.

Edited by ebigunso

[Reporting problem]

EDIT: tried creating new save, exiting then trying to reload the newly created game. This worked perfectly.

Settings:

32bit KSP 0.25.0

Win7 64bit OS

I had the same problem, and arrived at the same solution.

When loading my existing save game (after creating a new one and selecting a tree tree), the game loads as normal, and i get the dialogue box to select a tree.

Same game version and OS.

Not a big deal, just letting you know that it is a thing.

Exams tomorrow, so no time to recreate/post error logs. Problem has not reoccurred since.

Not a big deal, just letting you know that it is a thing.

Exams tomorrow, so no time to recreate/post error logs. Problem has not reoccurred since.

It's fine if you can abandon your old saves and start a new one, but when you have a save game that you have put so many hours into... it's a major problem. I had missions ready to go to so many places, and this problem is not letting me continue on it :(

Edits on the last post, please take a look at them too.

Edited by ebigunso

EDIT: I tried loading my old saves with only the TechManager and stock game files in the GameData folder, the problem persisted. I'm pretty sure it's the TM causing the problem.

Alright, if you couldn't load your save game with *only* TM installed, I'd like a copy of the save game to see if I can reproduce that.

It's fine if you can abandon your old saves and start a new one, but when you have a save game that you have put so many hours into... it's a major problem.

and this is why you should finish your game on the same version of ksp / mods that you start it with. expecting save games to keep working across different versions is always a gamble. not even ksp itself guarantees that at this point.

Here is the entire save folder I was running.

http://www./download/qd4wy6a9ddcfo9l/ebigunso_carrier.zip

I had a lot of mods on this save, but that shouldn't be the issue here as a totally mod-free sandbox save experienced this too.

I will provide the full list of mods I had if necessary.

and this is why you should finish your game on the same version of ksp / mods that you start it with. expecting save games to keep working across different versions is always a gamble. not even ksp itself guarantees that at this point.

true it's a gamble, but it mostly tends to work out if you are patient enough to wait for all mods to update, and are able to fix some minor issues by yourself. The ability to finagle with the save file and parts file is pretty much mandatory but if you can clear that I believe it's a good bet to assume migrating is possible.

Common confusion. That's indicating that Tech Manager is disabled. Uncheck the box, and you'll be able to select the tech trees you want to use. Yes, you can select multiple trees, and switch between them in R&D.

Blame Unity's crappy UI widgets.

To be fair I think there are better ways the UI could be designed to avoid this confusion, even with Unity's supposedly crappy UI (although I've seen fantastic use of it in other mods, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Alternate Resource Panel, to name a few).

For one the "None (Disable TechManager)" checkbox could be replaced with a button that changes its text from "disable" to "enable" when clicked, pretty easy and would be much more intuitive when you see a big "enable" button :). And secondly, maybe the plugin should start enabled? I mean, that's what I expect plugins to do when I install them most of the time.

Minor things I know :).

To be fair I think there are better ways the UI could be designed to avoid this confusion, even with Unity's supposedly crappy UI (although I've seen fantastic use of it in other mods, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Alternate Resource Panel, to name a few).

For one the "None (Disable TechManager)" checkbox could be replaced with a button that changes its text from "disable" to "enable" when clicked, pretty easy and would be much more intuitive when you see a big "enable" button :). And secondly, maybe the plugin should start enabled? I mean, that's what I expect plugins to do when I install them most of the time.

Minor things I know :).

Not as minor as I would have thought. Clearly, it can be done better, I've solicited suggestions on it before as well. I''m going to try again with 1.4 here shortly. As far as starting enabled, I much prefer opt-in over opt-out.

ALT+F7 doesn't seem to work under linux. Is it hard coded to ALT or is it using the mod key? Shift + F7 doesn't work either though...

if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.F7) && Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftAlt))

That's the actual line. Unity keycodes. Nothing for 'mod', so I suspect Alt is the same. Are you pressing it in the R&D science screen? It won't work anywhere else. Also, if TechManager is disabled it won't work. I don't have access to a linux box, but I can give you a test version of TM to use that will print out keycodes to the log file as you press them to try to get things working in linux.

Much better. I don't know if you saw my post in the CTT thread (should probably have made it here), but are you planning on implementing that HideIfPointless flag? If so, I would really endorse it.

I've got it implemented as 'hideIfNoBranchParts'. It will be in 1.4, just trying to get a working dialog in as well.

if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.F7) && Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftAlt))

That's the actual line. Unity keycodes. Nothing for 'mod', so I suspect Alt is the same. Are you pressing it in the R&D science screen? It won't work anywhere else. Also, if TechManager is disabled it won't work. I don't have access to a linux box, but I can give you a test version of TM to use that will print out keycodes to the log file as you press them to try to get things working in linux.

Yup, tested it inside the R&D Screen (and outside). But Alt is bound to the window manager, so that key is never going to work as a modifier in KSP linux.

See Modifier key for what I mean. I'm guessing that's something KSP implements on it's own and not Unity then.

PM me a test version and I can verify.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.