[0.25/0.90] TechManager Version 1.5

anonish

I figured out have to get around the sever saying no. The problem was Tech Manager was automatically disabled as soon as DarkMultiplayer was used. I went into the Tech Manager and changed it to

disabled = false. Then restarted the game and it worked. Odd tho its starts disabled.

not at all. I see no conflict between multiple type 2 trees.

what overlap? if there are two trees, then they can't overlap. only one is drawn at any particular point in time. each modder is free to develop their tree without worrying about where other modders put their nodes. that was the whole point of allowing multiple trees to be active and toggled between in the R&D building.

again, i see i inherit conflict here. its true that each tree may define different paths from tech A->B, or even reverse the paths, but that's not a conflict, its what it means to have multiple trees active. Think of them as research programs. Each research program can produce some set of techs if pre-requisite techs are already researched. So yes, multiple trees could allow you multiple ways to research the same tech, but that's the point.

Ohhhhhh... I thought that you choose which trees you want loaded on the save, and then it is set in stone. That's how I wrote my previous post...

Ok the ability to switch between trees makes this a very powerful, flexible addon.

I have a problem: I am able to unlock an external node before the node on the stock tree is unlocked. In fact, when I unlock the external node, the node on the stock tree gets unlocked regardless if its parents are also unlocked.

Edited by jandcando

I have a problem: I am able to unlock an external node before the node on the stock tree is unlocked. In fact, when I unlock the external node, the node on the stock tree gets unlocked regardless if its parents are also unlocked.

Can you link to your tree? I'll take a look.

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iypgw53qporqgtp/ImpossibleInnovationsBranch.cfg?dl=0

The tree is to the upper-left of the stock nodes. Sorry for that, I'm fixing the positioning later.

Give this a try.

Looks like I broke external nodes when I fixed some other bug. Let me know if the above works.

Also, for your tree, a couple points:

id = Impossible Innovations Branch

name = ImpossibleInnovationsBranch

The 'id' is required, but is usually the one without spaces. 'name' does nothing at all. What you want is 'label'. That is what will show up in the selection boxes. If there is no label, id will be used instead.

In your external nodes you have parents defined. Parents don't make any sense for external nodes, so they are deleted if external is set to true. So, no need to put them there. For the same reason, anyParent doesn't need to be specified. cost isn't necessary either, as you can't research external nodes anyway (after the fix).

Give this a try.

Looks like I broke external nodes when I fixed some other bug. Let me know if the above works.

Also, for your tree, a couple points:

id = Impossible Innovations Branch

name = ImpossibleInnovationsBranch

The 'id' is required, but is usually the one without spaces. 'name' does nothing at all. What you want is 'label'. That is what will show up in the selection boxes. If there is no label, id will be used instead.

In your external nodes you have parents defined. Parents don't make any sense for external nodes, so they are deleted if external is set to true. So, no need to put them there. For the same reason, anyParent doesn't need to be specified. cost isn't necessary either, as you can't research external nodes anyway (after the fix).

Ok thanks, I thought I was doing something wrong. I'll give it a try.

Now it works as intended! Thanks for the help.

Edited by jandcando

Can someone give me a link to where all of these custom tech-trees can be downloaded by other users? Also, I would really like to have the old tree loader-included tech trees in my game. I was asking because I have little inspiration at the moment and I don't want to know the entire tree before I've used it (just my preference).

Can someone give me a link to where all of these custom tech-trees can be downloaded by other users? Also, I would really like to have the old tree loader-included tech trees in my game. I was asking because I have little inspiration at the moment and I don't want to know the entire tree before I've used it (just my preference).

Hello,

I use the Community Tech Tree and enjoy it, you might want to give it a try!

I use the Community Tech Tree and enjoy it, you might want to give it a try!

Can't wait till everyone is supporting CTT :D

Donoya: I currently use Mod Oriented Tech Tree myself, though its in development and still a WIP. It's a fun tech tree, definitely increases the difficulty scale quite a bit though. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90938

This has probably already been answered but, when I define a new Start node (using TED) I'm getting parts show up as if I was using the stock tree rather than my own which should only have low end aeroplane parts. Have I missed a step or is Tech Manager reading the node definition from the part configs?

This has probably already been answered but, when I define a new Start node (using TED) I'm getting parts show up as if I was using the stock tree rather than my own which should only have low end aeroplane parts. Have I missed a step or is Tech Manager reading the node definition from the part configs?

TED uses the part configs of which ever KSP install you told it to look at. If you want to only worry about your mod parts, do what I did and temporarily move the Squad and NASAmission folders out of the GameData folder so TED only sees parts from your mod.

TED uses the part configs of which ever KSP install you told it to look at. If you want to only worry about your mod parts, do what I did and temporarily move the Squad and NASAmission folders out of the GameData folder so TED only sees parts from your mod.

You've misunderstood, I'm wanting to keep the stock parts and make a custom tech tree but the "Start" node I'm defining is showing every part that has "TechRequired = Start" as opposed to just the mk1 cockpit, swept wings, small gear bay & basic jet engine that I'm setting up in TED.

You've misunderstood, I'm wanting to keep the stock parts and make a custom tech tree but the "Start" node I'm defining is showing every part that has "TechRequired = Start" as opposed to just the mk1 cockpit, swept wings, small gear bay & basic jet engine that I'm setting up in TED.

Oh... I don't really know what's going on, then...

I'm confused, what exactly happens when you mulitple active trees at the same time, will Techmanager somehow merge them?

Try it. Go into the R&D science building with more than one active tree. You'll see a combo button in the top right corner. Click on it and you will be able to switch between the active trees, in game.

Switch and lose my research?

Of course not. Any techs researched remain researched. It wouldn't be much of a feature otherwise. But you should always back up your save game folder when experimenting, as a good general rule.

Sorry but I'm just trying to get some basic understanding of it workings. I want to know exactly what it can do and what it cannot do.

I'll add some documentation at some point. Up until now I've mostly been adding features to support KSPI and the CTT, and those parties are aware of what TM can do.

The short version is that each tree shows 'part' of the total tree at a time. If any tech is on more than one tree, then researching it in one place will research it in all places. Some exceptions:

1) An 'external' node must be researched on another tree. Its serves as a start node for sub-trees that don't want to include all the techs. So, for example, you can branch off of a late game tech as your starting point for your sub-tree and not have to include all the earlier nodes.

2) The 'hideIfNoBranchParts' option will hide a node if none of its children's nodes have parts. To work properly, this actually checks all trees for parts, not just the tree that one node is defined on.

3) Part assignment.. This one is kinda nasty. If a part is assigned to more than one tech, via multiple different trees, the first tree to assign it wins. The other tree(s) will be ignored when it comes to assigning that part. This is one reason I recommend MM should be used for part assignment and TM should not be.

There's not any chance you'd be interested in making a replacement for TreeEdit too, is there? Being able to edit the tree in-game was a very useful feature that I don't think external editors will be able to replace.

There's not any chance you'd be interested in making a replacement for TreeEdit too, is there? Being able to edit the tree in-game was a very useful feature that I don't think external editors will be able to replace.

I never saw TreeEdit, so I don't even know how it worked. Could you drag icons around? What were the editor inputs? But, no, I have no plans of including an in-game tree editor. I did keep the feature where you can reload a file from your save game dir. So at least you can make an edit, then load the file without having to restart KSP. That should keep the iteration cycle time low.

I never saw TreeEdit, so I don't even know how it worked. Could you drag icons around? What were the editor inputs? But, no, I have no plans of including an in-game tree editor. I did keep the feature where you can reload a file from your save game dir. So at least you can make an edit, then load the file without having to restart KSP. That should keep the iteration cycle time low.

Yeah, it let you drag the icons and right click to make dependencies. It let you edit the node data, and move parts between a list of unused parts and parts in the current node.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.