[0.25/0.90] TechManager Version 1.5

anonish

I recently started adopting a TechManager tech tree to my personal needs. While the contents of a tree.cfg are mostly self-explaining, there is one thing I'm not fully understanding:

Does the z-coordinate of the pos field of a NODE have any significance? My initial guess was "no" as the tech tree view uses an orthographic projection (and when I changed a value, I did not see a difference). But on the other hand, many tree configs I've seen (including the ones bundled with TechManager) use different z-coordinates in different NODEs. So, am I missing something?

Hi, new to the thread I have a specific question.

I started a save using a custom tree (ADIOS), and now have found some additional parts (1 mod) that I would like to somehow "Integrate" in the ADIOS tech tree for that particular save. Now, I do know how to modify the ADIOS tech tree but given that I have already started the save BEFORE modifying the tech tree i am not sure what would happen:

(depending on how techmanager handles trees)

1. Does the techmanager just "point" to a correct tech tree ?

- in which case if i have correctly post-added parts, they would show up in nodes i have assigned them to .... or....

2. Does techmanager "load" the tech tree on first run, and then copies the tree for the current save ?

- in which case my new parts would show in a default node, regardless on me editing the tech tree, which would require me to re-load the tech tree if i would want to get them in the correct place

...if it is case 2, i have a follow up question. is there a way to fiddle with persistence file, so i could manually place the parts where i would want them to, and if so, how ?

The reason why I am asking is since I have already made a couple of youtube episodes to be aired soon for this save, and I would really really like to avoid to re-shoot them.

*UPDATE* I did some Exploration, and found the case to be the following:

1. TechManager Loads tree during the load of the game (initial boot, not savegame load)

2. So, assuming that you have not yet researched mod parts node (where they belong) in the tech tree if you updated the tech tree before the load of the save you are golden, all will be updated

a. If you did research the mod parts node, simply go into persistent.sfs, find the parts in the file (somewhere under ResearchAndDevelopment - states Available above), and just delete them after you have updated tree, and restart KSP and reload save

That's it.

Edited by Grunf911
found solution

• 2 weeks later...

Techmanager got broken by 1.0

When I try to start the game with Techmanager, it hangs Going to try to fix it

Edit: The techtree configuration is completely differnet, this need some serious investigation and I don't have the time for it.

Edit: We can actualy edit the techtree now ourselves directly using the Techtree in the resources map of Squad

Edited by FreeThinker

Hello,

I havnt found that resources map yet....spoiler alert lol...here is some hints at getting TTM to work:

[EXC 21:47:51.447] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'RDTechTree.GetTreeNodes'.

TechManager.TechManager.OnGameSceneLoadRequested (GameScenes scene)

EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)

HighLogic.LoadScene (GameScenes scene)

PSystemSetup+.MoveNext ()

I just started working on my tree...I got some ideas but need to check this resource map thing ya...

BTW I will believe it when I see it...also the new tech tree isnt 'quite' all new - many of the original nodes and names are still there (yippy!!) making porting over easy...I have yet to find out where the tech tree actually is (hints anyone I am still looking)<<<?

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta

Well, thanks to the awesomeness that is the Version 1.0 KSP update, this mod no longer has a reason for existing. The .cfg file can be found at: Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Resources\TechTree.cfg

Its format is different, but should be easy to figure out.

Hence the need for Tech Tree Manager to allow...user defined Tech Trees?

No one is going to edit every part to make it fit; the part locations in the stock tree pretty much preclude using it at all for a challenging career mode game/SIM unless it is done voluntarily; IE no part access until a node is reached; in fact the Science prices of the nodes need to be changed as well in my SIM.

This does not bode well with me...is there any way to port a tech tree from version 24 to 1.0? Right now this has grinded my SIM to a hault...:(

Cmdr Zeta

Well, thanks to the awesomeness that is the Version 1.0 KSP update, this mod no longer has a reason for existing. The .cfg file can be found at: Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Resources\TechTree.cfg

Its format is different, but should be easy to figure out.

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Resources\Techtree.cfg

Hello,

Ya really funny...that tech tree cfg is useless; there are no parts in it.

Now the only resource I have is to manually go to every part cfg and edit the 'techrequired' to put them where I want them to go; having the tech tree loader (the old one not TED) solved this problem; there must be a tech tree with parts in it unless it is listed in that partslist...maybe someone can make a graphical UI to use that partslist, and excel the thing or something...plzzz !

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta

Hello,

Ya really funny...that tech tree cfg is useless; there are no parts in it.

Now the only resource I have is to manually go to every part cfg and edit the 'techrequired' to put them where I want them to go; having the tech tree loader (the old one not TED) solved this problem; there must be a tech tree with parts in it unless it is listed in that partslist...maybe someone can make a graphical UI to use that partslist, and excel the thing or something...plzzz !

Cmdr Zeta

We write modded trees with no parts listed in the nodes so there's room for other people's ModuleManager patches to run after ours and move individual parts around. For instance, TAC Life Support moved the small solar panels one tier earlier in the old tree to compensate for the additional ElectricCharge consumption it adds. If you loaded the Interstellar tree with all of the stock parts assigned to their stock nodes, you would override the change that TAC was trying to make.

I admit that if you're trying to assign every stock part to a node by name, a ModuleManager patch is a little more verbose than listing part names in a tree config. But ModuleManager gives you enough ways to address a group of parts together that you'll probably still come out ahead. Want to assign all of the contents of a stock node to one of your modded nodes? Do it in one patch of "@PART[*]:HAS[#techRequired[experimentalRocketry]]"! Let's see a GUI find a way to address "all engines that burn LiquidFuel but not Oxidizer or IntakeAir" in one list.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.