[0.25/0.90] TechManager Version 1.5

anonish

This little mod is happily hosting my KSPI tech tree in my science mode game. Very nice to be able to use alternate trees in both science and career modes. Create a game, exit, drop the appropriate tree in, resume. :)

I'll have to try out the version that allows you to pick your tree.

So I've mentioned this in a few places but I've been working on a tool that would make it easier for both modders and every-day KSP players to make changes to the tech tree. It's a Windows application that generates the .cfg files needed by TechManager (and ATC if you use ATC instead), by the use of a graphical tool. I've now reached a point where I'm happy to have people try the tool out. It's very early alpha, but it's functional. I'm posting this here where I imagine people would use it (and the Tools subforum is pretty barren otherwise). So without further ado:

TED - KSP Tech Tree Editor v0.2 Alpha 2

Download - Source - Readme/Instructions - KSP Forum Thread

I'd be very grateful if people gave it a try and let me know of their success/failures. If you do though, please post the comments on the corresponding thread and don't hijack the TechManager thread.

Fixed the earlier posted problem. I force a rendering of the node if its tech has been researched, even if the current tree you are looking at shows it as having unfulfilled dependencies.

moHSsws.png

I revamped the tree selection process. You now choose from a list at the start of the game, instead of just picking one. That list of what you choose is then what's available in the drop down while on the R&D screen. I think this gives a better feel to the gameplay, as you aren't constantly being given options for tech trees you didn't want to use for that particular save game.

h1mmgBq.png?1

Added a new feature. There is now an 'external' property that can be set in a tech tree node. This is essentially a way to reference only the techs that you want from another tree. Let's say i wanted to reference Ultra-High Energy Physics from the KSPI tree, but I didn't want to allow it to be researchable from my tree. That way, I don't have to worry about parts, or science cost, or its parents, just if its been researched or not. Such an external node has no parents, and you can't click on it to peak at what it is before you research it.

c6OXmjK.png

But, once its researched in another tree, it acts more like a normal node. You can look at it and use it as a dependency for later nodes.

VksfFVN.png

The idea here is to allow for a real sub-tree implementation. You can start your sub-tree with external nodes derived from the stock tree, the CTT, or whatever 'base' tree you would like, and then build from there. No need to include the entire tree from Start all the way to the few nodes you want to add. And the player still gets visual feedback -- they see a gray node that 'needs to be researched' before they can continue on the sub-tree. (Without the 'external' property, any node that doesn't have parents is automatically researchable. You can see how that would be a game breaking problem for sub-trees.)

Hope that makes sense, let me know what you think.

I think I'm ready for another release now, but i'll double check things first, after some sleep.

Fractal_UK, I would *really* like to get rid of part assignments as a part of the tree definitions. They can clash horribly. If one part is assigned to multiple techs in different trees, there is no obvious way to resolve that. I'd rather part cfg files or MM sorted all the part assignments out before TM ever starts. Part assignment is still in there for now, but its a 'first come, first served' approach. First tree to assign a part wins. Although it is limited to only the trees you select for your game, not all of them. Let me know what you think of moving KSPI to a non-tree-cfg based way of assigning parts.

Edited by anonish

I just posted there (one minute before your post here). Hopefully I'll try it out soon.

lol I must've missed it while waiting to post. Okay awesome :D

If I get some time here at work shall see if I can get things loaded up and see what it looks like.

7 downloads of the 1.2 test and no complaints, so i have released version 1.2 on [Moderator removed defunct website link]. I'll try to stay on top of any bugs that pop up, but I think i'm done with features now.

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

Minor bug - sometimes the tree list doesn't load naturally at start. You have to click on the blank tree in the list window to force the list to load.

so, you start a game. it asks you to select your trees, but there are none? And this is not 'None' being selected? (when none is selected, it doesn't show options). Then when you click the empty space below none it shows up? I'll have to think about that. No idea at the moment.

Experimental parts from unresearched nodes don't show up in the VAB anymore. Disabling TechManager brings them back again.

Do you mean parts you get access to as part of a test contract? Where you normally wouldn't be able to build with them but the game is giving you an exception because of the contract and is shows up blue in the VAB? Gotta admit, I didn't even think to test that.

What mods did you have installed, which trees selected and what was the missing part?

Do you mean parts you get access to as part of a test contract? Where you normally wouldn't be able to build with them but the game is giving you an exception because of the contract and is shows up blue in the VAB? Gotta admit, I didn't even think to test that.

What mods did you have installed, which trees selected and what was the missing part?

Happened to me too. Exactly what you described, those temporarily-unlocked parts for a contract were missing from VAB. Happens to both stock and modded items, in my case "T2 solid rocket separation booster" from B9, and stock "Rockomax M55 radial mount liquid engine".

Here are some screens and my mods:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

edit: tech-tree is KSPI unofficial

It asks me to select trees, and shows only the default one in the list of radio buttons (I can't remember the name offhand). Click the radio button/name of the tree and it loads the rest.

And you are positive the default wasn't 'None (disable TechManager)'? Because that starts selected, and while selected, the other trees are not displayed.

The trees are loaded at the main menu, and the selection dialog is populated once, before it is shown. I won't rule anything out, I just don't know how it could be doing what you describe. Screenshot if you get a chance?

Greetings Anonish,

Loaded up the new version today on my save, using the Mod Oriented Tech Tree.

I left the tree.cfg in my save file as before. Deleted the old TechManager folder. Installed the new TechManager. After loading up the game and my save I got the window for selecting my tree, but it only had Default: Disable TechManager as the only option.

This has left me with the stock tech tree :(

And you are positive the default wasn't 'None (disable TechManager)'? Because that starts selected, and while selected, the other trees are not displayed.

The trees are loaded at the main menu, and the selection dialog is populated once, before it is shown. I won't rule anything out, I just don't know how it could be doing what you describe. Screenshot if you get a chance?

That's what it was. Didn't know that was intended behavior, it is a bit counterintuitive. If I wasn't a "click everything" person I might have assumed that something was wrong and the trees weren't loading.

Greetings Anonish,

Loaded up the new version today on my save, using the Mod Oriented Tech Tree.

I left the tree.cfg in my save file as before. Deleted the old TechManager folder. Installed the new TechManager. After loading up the game and my save I got the window for selecting my tree, but it only had Default: Disable TechManager as the only option.

This has left me with the stock tech tree :(

Did you un-select 'None (Disable TechManger)'? After that, it should have show you at *least* 'KSP Stock'. And then likely also 'Local (<something> tree.cfg)'.

Apparently my decision to hide the other tree options at start was a bad one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.