Unity 5 Possible Release date

I've been watching the Unity3D website for a while now, but just today I noticed a new message.

"Note: Unity 5 pre-order offer ends November 13, 2014 at 13:00 CET"

That notice wasn't there before, it could mean the planned release is upon us in just 3 weeks. Maybe not that day, but I would imagine close to it.

http://unity3d.com/5

So if you're right about when Unity 5 is coming out, it'll more than likely be out before .90.0, do you think they'll proceed as planned then work on Unity or work on a Unity update then go forward with the beta release, or just roll it up in one big update?

So if you're right about when Unity 5 is coming out, it'll more than likely be out before .90.0, do you think they'll proceed as planned then work on Unity or work on a Unity update then go forward with the beta release, or just roll it up in one big update?

Hopefully they'll get the game on to Unity 5 as soon as possible, so pre-beta. Given the acclaimed upsides of the update, it'd be hard to argue against it.

I would not be surprised if the release moving to Unity 5 is a separate release that has few additional features, if any. They don't want to be in the position of having to wonder "Did this break because of the new feature, or did this break because of Unity 5" about every bug.

I would not be surprised if the release moving to Unity 5 is a separate release that has few additional features, if any. They don't want to be in the position of having to wonder "Did this break because of the new feature, or did this break because of Unity 5" about every bug.

True, if it does come out then it should probably be in .90.1.

EDIT: Waitwaitwaitwait, PRE-ODRER? So, does that mean Squad can get it right now? Pre-order just came out today, and there is a download.

Edited by RocketPilot573

True, if it does come out then it should probably be in .90.1.

EDIT: Waitwaitwaitwait, PRE-ODRER? So, does that mean Squad can get it right now? Pre-order just came out today, and there is a download.

No, pre-order means pay for it now, get it day 1. Just like any other pre-order for any game or movie or whatever. The pre-order button has been there since I started checking it, the notice of the impending termination of that deal is new.

Nice find, Alshain, and good news, everybody! /farnsworth

Err, what is THIS then?

That looks like the beta download; I would presume that the pre-order is for the full, non-beta release.

<insert joke here about non-beta Unity and beta Unity being essentially the same thing>

...what features of unity 5 do you suppose the KSP dev team like so much that the would 'drop everything' to port it over? PhysX 3.3? The new shaders?

My thoughts exactly! While better graphics is always welcome, perhaps its the physics the devs really want. I could've sworn I heard somewhere that Unity 5 had some mystical physics feature that Unity 4 couldn't. N-body physics? I really don't know!

Perhaps one of the graphics nerds can illuminate me, what features of unity 5 do you suppose the KSP dev team like so much that the would 'drop everything' to port it over? PhysX 3.3? The new shaders?

I think that it's the new physics engine that makes it exciting for KSP. If I am correct, it allows for multithreaded physics, while currently physics in KSP are single threaded. It will allow for massively larger physics calculations on multi-core processors.

EDIT: Oh, and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2BNmn8TYdE

Unity 5 is almost out!

Edited by Vaporo

Yeah, Unity 5 is like having an amazing pie, then having 5 more amazing pies with it for KSP, a game based on physics.It includes PhysX 3.3, and, if I'm not mistaken, physics have been moved to the GPU, which will (hopefully) show a noticeable performance boost for Nvidia card users.

That is just the editor if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps it will help the devs, but afaik it doesn't translate directly into a stable 64 bit client for the players. Does someone else know more?

However the unknown bug who makes 64 bit unstable on windows have an huge chance of being solved because of various changes.

Good chance its physic based as other unity games can run 64 bit in windows but KSP uses physic far more than most games.

And don't forget that it's adding multithreading...:(

Eh, I'm planning on getting a Nvidia GPU sometime in the future anyways... "Yay PhysX."

PhysX on the GPU is as dead as EAX. As expected with more open approaches taking over. And in its current state wouldn't have done anything for KSP either way (except fancy smoke particle simulation maybe) see: http://www.codercorner.com/blog/?p=917

PhysX (the CPU bound kind) 3.x is multithreading capable however (in theory) and that comes to Unity5. The migration will be significantly harder than pulling a switch though.

Edited by jfx

Hopefully they'll get the game on to Unity 5 as soon as possible, so pre-beta. Given the acclaimed upsides of the update, it'd be hard to argue against it.

Hopefully they will not do that, because it would be a terrible idea to rush it like that, extremely bad software engineering practice. KSP should progress with beta 0.90 as planned, running on Unity 4. Unity 5 should come after that, allowing time for Unity to fix bugs in their 5.0 release, and Squad time to do the job properly, rather than rush it out the door. Stock KSP doesn't actually need the upsides of Unity 5 urgently, but can benefit from them in the long term, with a careful and considered transition to it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.