The Other Linux Thread

On October 30, 2015 at 10:05 AM, politas said:

A couple of notes for things I have discovered recently.

Having hard lockups, especially when trying to use Environmental Visual Enhancements? Running on an AMD graphics card? Try loading up the BoulderCo/Clouds PNG files in an image viewer. If you get a lock up on one or more of them, you've hit the same AMD Kernel driver bug I did. The only solution I could find was to replace my graphics with NVidia, since both the Catalyst and open source drivers use it. Now I have no issues. Fixed up Cities: Skyline, too.

Trying to run a heavily modded KSP under Steam, and find that you can load KSP fine if you navigate to the folder and run KSP.x86_64, but you run out of memory or fail to load when launching from Steam? Steam launches the 32 bit KSP.x86 instead of KSP.x86_64. Rename it and make a link KSP.x86 -> KSP.x86_64, and you'll get the 64 bit version we all love so much.

I just found the following fixes my EVE problems with lockups:

The following option (when running from a command line) fixes this:

export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1

I'll be posting a complete script for starting KSP on Linux soon, watch this thread for details

Edited by linuxgurugamer

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I just found the following fixes my EVE problems with lockups:

The following option (when running from a command line) fixes this:

export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1

I'll be posting a complete script for starting KSP on Linux soon, watch this thread for details

Are you using AMD graphics? You replied to my comment, where I gave instructions for testing whether you are affected by a specific bug, with a generic response referring to EVE lockups. Can you open the BoulderCo/Clouds PNG files in an image viewer without a lockup? If so, then export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 is probably irrelevant to that bug.

Edited by politas

7 hours ago, politas said:

Are you using AMD graphics? You replied to my comment, where I gave instructions for testing whether you are affected by a specific bug, with a generic response referring to EVE lockups. Can you open the BoulderCo/Clouds PNG files in an image viewer without a lockup? If so, then export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 is probably irrelevant to that bug.

No, I'm running nVidia, which is what the export is for.

So this isn't an EVE bug, just a system issue.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks SAL.

I have been toying with Linux (Mint/Cinnamon) for a few months now. I just built a new PC and am running KSP 1.2.2 on Steam. I run a stack of mods including the Galileo high res graphics with Scatterer and EVE plus the entire USI suite.

This is the first program I have ever tried to run in Linux and thanks to the help in the forums, I have a pretty good game running and Windows 10 can bite my @$$!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.