The Other Linux Thread

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Posting half the error message, with no context whatsoever, really isn't all that illuminating you know.

I have had this happen to me before, IIRC it was a mod but I don't recall which one.

the process manager shows KSP using 1,3GB of RAM.

+

On the memory manager I can see it taking more than 3GB

= :huh:

Post output of 'vmstat -sSM' & 'ps -u | grep KSP' while KSP is running.

You are running a 64bit kernel, right?

Swapping is normal, even if there is free ram. Provided that which is being swapped out is not going to be needed anytime soon.

'cat /proc/$(pidof KSP.x86_64)/status' will give you detailed memory usage (including swap) for the KSP.x86_64 process.

Edited by steve_v

Hello all,

I have not posted to ask any questions previously, but I have done a fair bit of reading over these threads which has really helped me get going. I am now running full realism overhaul with all of the bells and whistles, including RVE, and everything is butter smooth at 6+ GB RAM usage. This has truly been awesome, and I just wanted to tank everyone for putting these guides together.

Cheers!

Hello all,

I have not posted to ask any questions previously, but I have done a fair bit of reading over these threads which has really helped me get going. I am now running full realism overhaul with all of the bells and whistles, including RVE, and everything is butter smooth at 6+ GB RAM usage. This has truly been awesome, and I just wanted to tank everyone for putting these guides together.

Cheers!

Awesome!

On the other hand, this makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry.

Nvidia GTX680 2GB (early reference board)

Ah, okay. So not an AMD board. At least I'm narrowing it down, though if it's my video card, and I can't get drivers to work and play nice with it, I am deducing that I'm pretty much boned. I'm not swapping video cards out of this rig just so I can play KSP in Linux.

I'm a noob at linux and have tried running the startup script for multi core cpu's yet nothing happens. It's saved as an .sh file, it's marked as executable and it's in my ksp root folder. However, when i click it seems to get busy for a few seconds as the mouse pointer changes yet ksp doesn't run. is the script supposed to run ksp or just change core usage then wait for me to start ksp manually? any help would be appreciated - btw, when i try and run ksp_installer script it also sits there for a few seconds and then does nothing, or seems to do nothing. Sorry for the ignorance but to me linux is still mumbo jumbo :(

I think I'll have to remove that installer script from my thread, it's pretty old and I never needed it, KSP just worked for me.

Unity is already multi-cpu aware in a way, and can offload things like sounds and input to other cores, the big problem is that it can't split the physics across the cores.

And the physics is the number one, big ticket item when it comes to KSP performance.

Graphics are number two, but unless you are using the AMD drivers you should be okay :)

So, let's go in this direction... Does ANYONE have a working, moderately to heavily modded copy of KSP86_64 0.25 running on Ubuntu 14.04, running Unity GUI, with an AMD card running the open source drivers?
Ah, okay. So not an AMD board. At least I'm narrowing it down, though if it's my video card, and I can't get drivers to work and play nice with it, I am deducing that I'm pretty much boned. I'm not swapping video cards out of this rig just so I can play KSP in Linux.

I'm on Debian Jessie, Kernel 3.16-3 amd64, 8gigs of ram available, Radeon R7 260X, KDE desktop.

Using open-source drivers because proprietary went horribly wrong when I've first tried them out. On the other hand Xorg default drivers were great without an issue...

Running KSP moderately with a lot of mods, never crashed on me, though there are some issues and eventually lock ups... but when KSP locks up due to some error all I need is alt+f4 to close it.

Issues like this on linux are rather obscure, since the whole system is locking up I would suggest looking into system wide setup, is your rig new?

I could be several issues with hardware, like heating up, faulty memory and such, acting up during the heavy load of the game... Could be due to specific GPU not being compatible too, should research that too...

As far as I can tell AMD and Xorg drivers works well with KSP.

I'm a noob at linux and have tried running the startup script for multi core cpu's yet nothing happens. It's saved as an .sh file, it's marked as executable and it's in my ksp root folder. However, when i click it seems to get busy for a few seconds as the mouse pointer changes yet ksp doesn't run. is the script supposed to run ksp or just change core usage then wait for me to start ksp manually? any help would be appreciated - btw, when i try and run ksp_installer script it also sits there for a few seconds and then does nothing, or seems to do nothing. Sorry for the ignorance but to me linux is still mumbo jumbo :(

Try to right-click the script and click "Open with...", then type "bash" into the space for the program name and check "Open in terminal" and "Keep terminal open". Post whatever you get as a result in the terminal as a reply. (This is on a KDE interface, but it should be similar for everything else.)

I'm on Debian Jessie, Kernel 3.16-3 amd64, 8gigs of ram available, Radeon R7 260X, KDE desktop.

Using open-source drivers because proprietary went horribly wrong when I've first tried them out. On the other hand Xorg default drivers were great without an issue...

Running KSP moderately with a lot of mods, never crashed on me, though there are some issues and eventually lock ups... but when KSP locks up due to some error all I need is alt+f4 to close it.

Issues like this on linux are rather obscure, since the whole system is locking up I would suggest looking into system wide setup, is your rig new?

I could be several issues with hardware, like heating up, faulty memory and such, acting up during the heavy load of the game... Could be due to specific GPU not being compatible too, should research that too...

As far as I can tell AMD and Xorg drivers works well with KSP.

This rig is a couple of years old and has been used almost exclusively as a platform for iRacing, though I have appropriated it for other tasks (like for instance, playing KSC!).

Anyway, Specifics if it helps are:

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

Proc: Intel i5-2500K Sandy Bridge (3.3GHz default, overclocked to 3.8GHz), cooled by a CORSAIR H60 water cooler

Memory: G.Skill Super Sniper blah blah blah DDR3 1866, 8GB (2x4GB)

Vid: XFX Radeon 7950 3GB

Associated case with enough airflow to start a CF56 turbofan engine. (CM Storm Enforcer, if you care)

As for proc temps, I have a windows app that monitors real time and trends (with alarm since I'm watercooling and if that turds itself things get real hot, real fast). Under load testing when new (to determine stable overclock), at present speed MAXIMUM ever attained temperature on any core was 49C. Under typical heavy use (running iRacing and associated ancillary programs, temps are around 41C. While playing KSC32 in Windows temps are about 38C. Idle baseline is between 26C and 30C once coolant is stabilized, depending on ambient temps.

In short, I seriously doubt I'm running into thermal related problems with Linux, though I haven't attempted to monitor temps within that OS. The fact that the game freezes at effectively the same place also makes me think this isn't a processor related issue. My general experience is with overclocked systems failures are a bit more "random" due to instability. There might be some credence to a memory issue, though again I've never had an issue in Windows and I would think if I had flaky memory it would have at some point started freaking out once I filled up the registers doing things other then KSP, regardless of platform. Also, using HTOP to monitor resources, I see that when KSP freezes it's at about 3.3GB of memory usage. Also, worth noting that it seems it's locking Unity, not Linux. Previously I had mentioned that I tried (and failed due to my stupidity) to SSH into the system from another computer, and it responded to me (told me to get bent, but it's a response) and it responded to pings, which tells me the OS is alive.

Just brainstorming, here are some things I am guessing about having potential issues. Please feel free to correct me, educate me and otherwise point me and punt me in directions you feel might be useful. Hell, if you're particularly masochistic, let me know if you want to shell into the damn thing and take a look see under the hood! Anyway, here goes.

The 7950 is feeding 3 screens. All three screens are identical. Two are being fed by the display ports via Startech MDP2DVIS display port to DVI active adapters. The third is connected directly via the DVI port on card. There is a 4th screen that is connected via the mainboard DVI adapter served by the Intel video adapter that is on the die of the i5 processor. I have DISABLED this screen in Ubuntu as it was causing all sorts of display issues. I have NOT disabled this adapter in BIOS (since Windows is using it, I don't want to have to go back and forth into BIOS to turn it on and off). I have not modified or changed the default video driver that Ubuntu installed. At present, Unity seems very happy serving these three screens and is having no apparent issues. When I ran stock KSP (In a window, not full screen. I've never run KSP full screen) I had no complaints about performance or smoothness. Is it conceivable that even though I have Linux ignoring the 4th screen on the Intel adapter that it is still somehow effecting the system?

In the realm of trying to do things that won't require me materially altering the system, I'll test the memory and back the clock down to stock speeds, just to eliminate those things from the equation. After that, I was toying with loading up xfce to see if maybe it's Unity puking on this...

If you have any other things you want me to try, I'm totally game. All I ask is that you explain what you're doing. I'm here to learn above all else, and trying to get this to work is an excellent opportunity to gain understanding!

And, thank you all! I'm amazed how much I've forgotten!

However, when i click it seems to get busy for a few seconds as the mouse pointer changes yet ksp doesn't run.

The rodent is not your friend, that silly spinner lies :P

Run the script fron a command line / terminal emulator so you can see the output. It is, after all just a bunch of commands in a convenient script file.

Edited by steve_v

If you have any other things you want me to try, I'm totally game. All I ask is that you explain what you're doing. I'm here to learn above all else, and trying to get this to work is an excellent opportunity to gain understanding!

And, thank you all! I'm amazed how much I've forgotten!

Well I'm impressed, :P

Anyway, Unity might as well be very flaky. One of the reasons I've switched out of Ubuntu a couple of years ago. Be sure to try out a different desktop with different combinations.

Be sure to check which graphics driver you're using, either Xorg open-source or AMD proprietary. Check this out for Xorg compatibility...

Seems that your specific card is rather older chipset, in which case proprietary AMD driver dropped support too, so check this.

Specific Ubuntu help on Radeon.

Additionally multi-screen setup in linux, either with proprietary or open-source drivers, might be complicated. I never delved into it myself as I don't really see the point, but be free to search that up.

I guess for purposes of this operation I can pull all but one screen, BIOS disable the Intel on-die video, derate the CPU clock back to default, wipe and re-install Ubuntu and try again? Unless you think I can do all of this without having to nuke and reinstall. I just want to make sure that there is no trace of the Intel video driver in there. Reinstalling is obviously a time sink, but I gotta do what I gotta do, if I gotta do it. :)

To be honest gsarducci, since the stock game worked fine you probably have a mod issue. Try one mod at a time, each on an otherwise stock install, to isolate the problem. Then if that doesn't find any problems, to diagnose a general memory usage issue I'd throw a bunch of pure parts mods - ie ones with no plugin component - on. If that turns up no fault it's probably an interaction between mods, harder to pin down but keep a one step at a time approach to the mods.

Also, make sure you don't muck up any of the mod installations!

I guess you could do worse than to run prime95 for a bit, check that your overclock is truly stable. You probably did it when you set up your OC, but you never know if things might have changed. It's a long shot this being an influence.

You also could disable the integrated graphics. I think Linux does sometimes dislike having multiple graphics drivers active.

The first time I ran into this I added mods one or two at a time. I didn't dig too deeply into why things started going south, but I did note that after getting insanely frustrated with adding one mod at a time and adding 5 at once, causing a crash, that if I took the mod out that the game locked on (I could tell from the logs where it choked), it would lock on the next mod in the line. This is where I initially started suspecting some sort of memory page thing...

I think I'll have to remove that installer script from my thread, it's pretty old and I never needed it, KSP just worked for me.

Unity is already multi-cpu aware in a way, and can offload things like sounds and input to other cores, the big problem is that it can't split the physics across the cores.

And the physics is the number one, big ticket item when it comes to KSP performance.

Graphics are number two, but unless you are using the AMD drivers you should be okay :)

You're on the money man, I ran KSP straight out of the box and the only real issue is the stuttering and the lag because of my GUI (for some mysterious reason). I simply thought this script would help withe issue but nevertheless, things are pretty damn playable as it is. Cheers for the feedback

So, let's go in this direction... Does ANYONE have a working, moderately to heavily modded copy of KSP86_64 0.25 running on Ubuntu 14.04, running Unity GUI, with an AMD card running the open source drivers?

I'm no longer running the open source drivers, but it worked fine with them. I recently started playing with a lot of mods, and after growing frustrated with the frequent crashes on Windows, I decided to give a try on Linux. I already had ubuntu 12.04 on the same PC, and I already had Steam on it, so I just installed KSP and everything was fine, except there was a small but noticeable FPS drop, like when I tried to use OpenGL on Windows.

I decided to upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 but it didn't helped much with that. Then I decided to use the proprietary driver, and it didn't helped either. I eventually realized it was much more stable and the small FPS drop was acceptable. It's a 4 year-old computer, quad-core with 6gb RAM, and a Radeon 6570, so I can't expect much from it.

The most astonishing was the fact that I simply copied my GameData folder with 50+ mods and plugins from the Windows install to the Linux and it worked without a single hiccup.

I decided to upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 but it didn't helped much with that. Then I decided to use the proprietary driver, and it didn't helped either. I eventually realized it was much more stable and the small FPS drop was acceptable. It's a 4 year-old computer, quad-core with 6gb RAM, and a Radeon 6570, so I can't expect much from it.

AS I've mentioned above, I'm on a pretty beefed up machine, still I can only get 24~30fps on the game, which means either the fps mod is getting it wrong, or that KSP simply locks up at lower fps.

Still I do experience some hiccups eventually...

I'm no longer running the open source drivers, but it worked fine with them. I recently started playing with a lot of mods, and after growing frustrated with the frequent crashes on Windows, I decided to give a try on Linux. I already had ubuntu 12.04 on the same PC, and I already had Steam on it, so I just installed KSP and everything was fine, except there was a small but noticeable FPS drop, like when I tried to use OpenGL on Windows.

The most astonishing was the fact that I simply copied my GameData folder with 50+ mods and plugins from the Windows install to the Linux and it worked without a single hiccup.

May I bother you for a list of your mods you're playing with? Just want to compare it to my own and see if there's something I'm doing that you're not... Really wish when this thing locks up it would give me a clue what went pear shaped. All the logs just stop without any errors or hint as to what is the problem...

May I bother you for a list of your mods you're playing with? Just want to compare it to my own and see if there's something I'm doing that you're not... Really wish when this thing locks up it would give me a clue what went pear shaped. All the logs just stop without any errors or hint as to what is the problem...

I have so many mods that when things go caput or a new version comes out it literally takes ages just fixing things instead of playing. Quickly from my logs:

Kerbal Space Program - 0.25.0.0 (LinuxPlayer)

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor (6)
RAM: 7902
GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BONAIRE (264MB)
SM: 30 (OpenGL 3.0 [3.0 Mesa 10.3.2])
RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, RGB565, ARGB4444, ARGB1555, Default, DefaultHDR, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8

Log started: Tue, Nov 25, 2014 22:44:34

[LOG 22:44:36.103] Load(Assembly): /FPSViewer
[LOG 22:44:36.106] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/FPSViewer.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.143] Load(Assembly): /ModuleManager.2.5.1
[LOG 22:44:36.143] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.146] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'ModuleManager' V2.5
[LOG 22:44:36.146] Load(Assembly): 000_Toolbar/Toolbar
[LOG 22:44:36.146] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/000_Toolbar/Toolbar.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.149] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'Toolbar' V1.0
[LOG 22:44:36.149] Load(Assembly): AlignedCurrencyIndicator/AlignedCurrencyIndicator
[LOG 22:44:36.149] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/AlignedCurrencyIndicator/AlignedCurrencyIndicator.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.151] Load(Assembly): CameraTools/CameraTools
[LOG 22:44:36.151] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/CameraTools/CameraTools.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.151] Load(Assembly): Chatterer/Plugins/Chatterer
[LOG 22:44:36.151] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/Chatterer/Plugins/Chatterer.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.153] Load(Assembly): Chatterer/Plugins/MiniAVC
[LOG 22:44:36.153] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/Chatterer/Plugins/MiniAVC.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.154] Load(Assembly): ConnectedLivingSpace/Plugins/CLSInterfaces
[LOG 22:44:36.154] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/ConnectedLivingSpace/Plugins/CLSInterfaces.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.155] Load(Assembly): ConnectedLivingSpace/Plugins/ConnectedLivingSpace
[LOG 22:44:36.155] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/ConnectedLivingSpace/Plugins/ConnectedLivingSpace.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.156] Load(Assembly): CrossFeedEnabler/Plugins/CrossFeedEnabler
[LOG 22:44:36.156] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/CrossFeedEnabler/Plugins/CrossFeedEnabler.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.156] Load(Assembly): CustomBiomes/CustomBiomes
[LOG 22:44:36.157] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/CustomBiomes/CustomBiomes.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.157] Load(Assembly): DDSLoader/DDSLoader
[LOG 22:44:36.157] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/DDSLoader/DDSLoader.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.158] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'DDSLoader' V1.7
[LOG 22:44:36.158] Load(Assembly): DMagic Orbital Science/Plugins/DMagic
[LOG 22:44:36.158] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/DMagic Orbital Science/Plugins/DMagic.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.160] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'DMagic' V0.861
[LOG 22:44:36.160] Load(Assembly): DeadlyReentry/Plugins/DeadlyReentry
[LOG 22:44:36.160] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/DeadlyReentry/Plugins/DeadlyReentry.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.161] Load(Assembly): DistantObject/DistantObject
[LOG 22:44:36.161] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/DistantObject/DistantObject.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.162] Load(Assembly): EditorExtensions/EditorExtensions
[LOG 22:44:36.162] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/EditorExtensions/EditorExtensions.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.163] Load(Assembly): EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/CityLights
[LOG 22:44:36.163] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/CityLights.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.165] Load(Assembly): EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/Clouds
[LOG 22:44:36.165] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/Clouds.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.172] Load(Assembly): EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/Geometry
[LOG 22:44:36.172] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/Geometry.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.173] Load(Assembly): EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/OverlayMgr
[LOG 22:44:36.173] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/OverlayMgr.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.174] Load(Assembly): EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/Terrain
[LOG 22:44:36.174] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/Terrain.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.181] Load(Assembly): EvaFuel/EvaFuel
[LOG 22:44:36.181] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/EvaFuel/EvaFuel.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.181] Load(Assembly): FerramAerospaceResearch/Plugins/FerramAerospaceResearch
[LOG 22:44:36.181] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/FerramAerospaceResearch/Plugins/FerramAerospaceResearch.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.184] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'FerramAerospaceResearch' V0.14
[LOG 22:44:36.184] Load(Assembly): FerramAerospaceResearch/Plugins/ferramGraph
[LOG 22:44:36.184] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/FerramAerospaceResearch/Plugins/ferramGraph.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.185] Load(Assembly): FinePrint/FinePrint
[LOG 22:44:36.185] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/FinePrint/FinePrint.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.186] Load(Assembly): Firespitter/Plugins/Firespitter
[LOG 22:44:36.186] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/Firespitter/Plugins/Firespitter.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.190] Load(Assembly): ImprovedChaseCamera/ImprovedChaseCamera
[LOG 22:44:36.190] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/ImprovedChaseCamera/ImprovedChaseCamera.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.190] Load(Assembly): JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Plugins/MechJebRPM
[LOG 22:44:36.190] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Plugins/MechJebRPM.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.191] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'MechJebRPM' V0.18
[LOG 22:44:36.192] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssemblyDependency 'MechJeb2' V2.3
[LOG 22:44:36.192] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssemblyDependency 'RasterPropMonitor' V0.17
[LOG 22:44:36.192] Load(Assembly): JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Plugins/RasterPropMonitor
[LOG 22:44:36.192] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Plugins/RasterPropMonitor.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.194] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'RasterPropMonitor' V0.17
[LOG 22:44:36.194] Load(Assembly): KAS/Plugins/KAS
[LOG 22:44:36.194] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KAS/Plugins/KAS.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.210] Load(Assembly): KSP-AVC/KSP-AVC
[LOG 22:44:36.210] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KSP-AVC/KSP-AVC.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.211] Load(Assembly): KSPLua/KSPLua
[LOG 22:44:36.211] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KSPLua/KSPLua.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.212] Load(Assembly): KSPLua/KopiLua
[LOG 22:44:36.212] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KSPLua/KopiLua.dll
[ERR 22:44:36.219] Failed to load assembly /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KSPLua/KopiLua.dll:
System.Security.SecurityException: Assembly /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KSPLua/KopiLua.dll tried to use forbidden type System.Diagnostics.Process!
Allows launching of external processes.
at AssemblyLoader.ScanForBadTypeRefs (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.LoadExternalAssembly (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[LOG 22:44:36.219] Load(Assembly): KSPLua/NLua
[LOG 22:44:36.219] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KSPLua/NLua.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.220] Load(Assembly): KerbalConstructionTime/Kerbal_Construction_Time
[LOG 22:44:36.220] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KerbalConstructionTime/Kerbal_Construction_Time.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.222] Load(Assembly): KerbalEngineer/KerbalEngineer
[LOG 22:44:36.222] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KerbalEngineer/KerbalEngineer.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.224] Load(Assembly): KerbalEngineer/MiniAVC
[LOG 22:44:36.224] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KerbalEngineer/MiniAVC.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.225] Load(Assembly): KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/AircraftAutoPilot
[LOG 22:44:36.225] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/AircraftAutoPilot.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.226] Load(Assembly): KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/NavUtilLib
[LOG 22:44:36.226] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/NavUtilLib.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.227] Load(Assembly): KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/NavUtilRPM
[LOG 22:44:36.227] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/NavUtilRPM.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.227] Load(Assembly): KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/NavUtilToolBar
[LOG 22:44:36.227] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/NavUtilToolBar.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.228] Load(Assembly): KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/RPMHSI
[LOG 22:44:36.228] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/RPMHSI.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.228] Load(Assembly): KineTechAnimation/Plugins/KineTechAnimation
[LOG 22:44:36.229] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/KineTechAnimation/Plugins/KineTechAnimation.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.229] Load(Assembly): Klockheed_Martian/Plugins/km_Gimbal_2.0
[LOG 22:44:36.229] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/Klockheed_Martian/Plugins/km_Gimbal_2.0.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.230] Load(Assembly): MagicSmokeIndustries/Plugins/InfernalRobotics
[LOG 22:44:36.230] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/Plugins/InfernalRobotics.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.231] Load(Assembly): MagicSmokeIndustries/Plugins/KSPAPIExtensions
[LOG 22:44:36.231] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/Plugins/KSPAPIExtensions.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.233] Load(Assembly): MagicSmokeIndustries/Plugins/Scale_Redist
[LOG 22:44:36.233] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/Plugins/Scale_Redist.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.234] Load(Assembly): MechJeb2/Plugins/MechJeb2
[LOG 22:44:36.234] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/MechJeb2/Plugins/MechJeb2.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.244] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'MechJeb2' V2.4
[LOG 22:44:36.244] Load(Assembly): NRAP/Plugins/NRAP
[LOG 22:44:36.244] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/NRAP/Plugins/NRAP.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.245] Load(Assembly): Nereid/FinalFrontier/Plugins/FinalFrontier
[LOG 22:44:36.245] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/Nereid/FinalFrontier/Plugins/FinalFrontier.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.246] Load(Assembly): PartCatalog/Plugins/PartCatalog
[LOG 22:44:36.246] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/PartCatalog/Plugins/PartCatalog.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.249] Load(Assembly): Pilot Assistant/PilotAssistant
[LOG 22:44:36.249] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/Pilot Assistant/PilotAssistant.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.250] Load(Assembly): PlanetShine/Plugins/MiniAVC
[LOG 22:44:36.250] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/PlanetShine/Plugins/MiniAVC.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.251] Load(Assembly): PlanetShine/Plugins/PlanetShine
[LOG 22:44:36.251] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/PlanetShine/Plugins/PlanetShine.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.252] Load(Assembly): PreciseNode/plugins/PreciseNode
[LOG 22:44:36.252] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/PreciseNode/plugins/PreciseNode.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.253] Load(Assembly): ProceduralFairings/KSPAPIExtensions
[LOG 22:44:36.253] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/ProceduralFairings/KSPAPIExtensions.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.254] Load(Assembly): ProceduralFairings/ProceduralFairings
[LOG 22:44:36.254] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/ProceduralFairings/ProceduralFairings.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.255] Load(Assembly): ProceduralParts/Plugins/KSPAPIExtensions
[LOG 22:44:36.255] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/ProceduralParts/Plugins/KSPAPIExtensions.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.256] Load(Assembly): ProceduralParts/Plugins/ProceduralParts
[LOG 22:44:36.256] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/ProceduralParts/Plugins/ProceduralParts.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.258] Load(Assembly): RcsSounds/Plugins/RcsSounds
[LOG 22:44:36.258] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/RcsSounds/Plugins/RcsSounds.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.259] Load(Assembly): RealChute/Plugins/RealChute
[LOG 22:44:36.259] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/RealChute/Plugins/RealChute.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.260] Load(Assembly): RemoteTech/Plugins/RemoteTech
[LOG 22:44:36.260] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/RemoteTech/Plugins/RemoteTech.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.263] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'RemoteTech' V1.5
[LOG 22:44:36.263] Load(Assembly): ResGen/ResGen
[LOG 22:44:36.263] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/ResGen/ResGen.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.264] Load(Assembly): SCANsat/Plugins/SCANsat
[LOG 22:44:36.264] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/SCANsat/Plugins/SCANsat.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.265] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'SCANsat' V0.8
[LOG 22:44:36.265] Load(Assembly): SmokeScreen/SmokeScreen
[LOG 22:44:36.265] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/SmokeScreen/SmokeScreen.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.266] Load(Assembly): StageRecovery/StageRecovery
[LOG 22:44:36.266] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/StageRecovery/StageRecovery.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.268] Load(Assembly): TextureReplacer/Plugins/TextureReplacer
[LOG 22:44:36.268] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/TextureReplacer/Plugins/TextureReplacer.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.269] Load(Assembly): ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupport/MiniAVC
[LOG 22:44:36.269] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupport/MiniAVC.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.270] Load(Assembly): ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupport/TacLifeSupport
[LOG 22:44:36.270] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupport/TacLifeSupport.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.271] Load(Assembly): Trajectories/Plugin/Trajectories
[LOG 22:44:36.271] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/Trajectories/Plugin/Trajectories.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.272] Load(Assembly): TriggerTech/KSPAlternateResourcePanel/KSPAlternateResourcePanel
[LOG 22:44:36.272] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/TriggerTech/KSPAlternateResourcePanel/KSPAlternateResourcePanel.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.274] Load(Assembly): TriggerTech/KerbalAlarmClock/KerbalAlarmClock
[LOG 22:44:36.274] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/TriggerTech/KerbalAlarmClock/KerbalAlarmClock.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.277] Load(Assembly): TweakScale/plugins/KSPAPIExtensions
[LOG 22:44:36.277] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/TweakScale/plugins/KSPAPIExtensions.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.278] Load(Assembly): TweakScale/plugins/Scale
[LOG 22:44:36.278] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/TweakScale/plugins/Scale.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.279] Load(Assembly): TweakScale/plugins/Scale_Redist
[LOG 22:44:36.279] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/TweakScale/plugins/Scale_Redist.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.280] Load(Assembly): UmbraSpaceIndustries/USITools
[LOG 22:44:36.280] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/USITools.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.280] Load(Assembly): UmbraSpaceIndustries/USI_Converter
[LOG 22:44:36.280] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/USI_Converter.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.281] Load(Assembly): UniversalStorage/MiniAVC
[LOG 22:44:36.281] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/UniversalStorage/MiniAVC.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.282] Load(Assembly): UniversalStorage/Plugins/AdvancedAnimator
[LOG 22:44:36.282] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/UniversalStorage/Plugins/AdvancedAnimator.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.283] Load(Assembly): VNG/FrementGUILib
[LOG 22:44:36.283] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/VNG/FrementGUILib.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.283] Load(Assembly): VNG/VanguardTechnologies
[LOG 22:44:36.283] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/VNG/VanguardTechnologies.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.284] Load(Assembly): Virgin Kalactic/VirginGeneric
[LOG 22:44:36.284] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/Virgin Kalactic/VirginGeneric.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.285] Load(Assembly): WheelSounds/Plugins/WheelSounds
[LOG 22:44:36.285] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/WheelSounds/Plugins/WheelSounds.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.286] Load(Assembly): kOS/Plugins/ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib
[LOG 22:44:36.286] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/kOS/Plugins/ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.287] Load(Assembly): kOS/Plugins/kOS.Safe
[LOG 22:44:36.287] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/kOS/Plugins/kOS.Safe.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.289] Load(Assembly): kOS/Plugins/kOS
[LOG 22:44:36.289] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/guiu/.games/KSP_025/GameData/kOS/Plugins/kOS.dll
[LOG 22:44:36.290] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'kOS' V0.15
[LOG 22:44:36.292] AssemblyLoader: Loading assemblies

I didn't know that the crash/lock wasn't happening without mods, if thats the case be sure to rule out which one or which group of mods may be the issue...

As far as what I've recommended, to use something instead of Unity for Ubuntu, you can just install via the package manager, search the web for 'alternative desktop environments for ubuntu'....

Sure, here is an ls from my GameData:

ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll
toolbar-settings.dat
AnchoredDecouplerFix.dll
ChuteQuickloadFixer.dll
SymmetryActionFix.dll
EVAEjectionFix.dll
LargeCraftLaunchFix.dll
000_Toolbar
000_USITools
AIES_Aerospace
ART
ASET
BahaSP
blackheart
BoxSat alpha
cfg_tweaks
CIT
CommunityResourcePack
Contracts Window
CrewManifest
CrossFeedEnabler
DeadlyReentry
DibnahEngineering
DMagic Orbital Science
FinePrint
Firespitter
FreedomTex
Hydrogen NTRs
JSI
KAS
Kerbaltek
Kerbice Group
Klockheed_Martian_SmartParts
kommit_octotruss
Kotysoft
KSO
KSPX
KWRocketry
Landertron
Lionhead_Aerospace_Inc
MechJeb2
MechJeb2 Embedded by Dennis6492
ModsByTal
ModuleRCSFX
NASAmission
NAU
NavyFish
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
ORSX
PartCatalog
ProceduralFairings
ProceduralParts
RCSBuildAid
RealChute
RemoteTech
RLA_Stockalike
Robau
R&SCapsuledyne
SCANsat
SmokeScreen
Squad
StageRecovery
TacFuelBalancer
TacSelfDestruct
TextureReplacer
ThunderAerospace
TriggerTech
TweakScale
UmbraSpaceIndustries
UniversalStorage

Hmm. @lodestar: You're not running FAR? That's a difference I can see right of the bat. Also, I recall that was an undocumented feature, but I don't offhand remember the workaround for it. I think it had to do with reassigning the function key since Linux OS keymapping to functions is obviously different from Windoze.

@gfurst: Your system is radically different from mine hardware wise. I'm off after the weekend so I'll have some time to really dig into this and test. I was a little off. My i5-2500K is OC'd to 4.4GHz. I Prime95-ed it for about 16 hours on mixed and it never missed a beat (though it did get hotter then I remember, with temps topping out around 69C), so I'm as convinced as I can be that the Proc/memory/IO/PS are stable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.