[WIP] Socke's Parts - 1.875m Extension

Socke

Can I ask what the dimensions of the grey trim ring on the tank caps are compared to the rest of the tank? I'm working on some tanks too, and you've nailed the proportions I've been going for.

Beautiful textures btw.

The caps are exactly 1.875m in diameter, the main body of the tanks is 1.8375m so the ratio is 0.98. I don't want to have the caps too wide, so rockets remain smooth if you stack fueltanks.

Yup. But theres plenty of space, so I'll make a 3-seater IVA too.

RbamdDu.jpg

Those HGR seats will be replaced btw, I want my mod to stay dependancy free. I'll add an RPM config though.

Edited by Socke

Yup. But theres plenty of space, so I'll make a 3-seater IVA too.

http://i.imgur.com/RbamdDu.jpg

Those HGR seats will be replaced btw, I want my mod to stay dependancy free. I'll add an RPM config though.

Actually, is it possible to make a 4 seater? Would just putting 2 additional seats directly below the current ones upside down work?

Actually, is it possible to make a 4 seater? Would just putting 2 additional seats directly below the current ones upside down work?

The way the seats are setup right now it probably doesn't work. The heads of the kerbals in the seats are almost hitting the 'ceiling' already. If I'd put two seats underneath the heads would definitely clip. The seats I'm modeling will also make problems, since they are quite a bit taller.

I also really don't want to put 4 Kerbals in there. It would be too cramped imo.

In other news I hope to release the (2 man)capsule and texture reworks this week.

Edit:

WIP Seat

HYpd1fV.jpg

Edited by Socke

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man that pod looks good! 1.25m top and 1.875m bottom? I'd love to see a 1.875 top and 2.5m bottom, 4 man capsule with a Dragon-2-meets-Mk1-2 aesthetic. With matching hollow nosecone with opening animation, that con be placed around the standard 1.25m docking port.

The way this is going, I'd really like to see this become a stockalike SpaceX pack! The pod already looks something like the Dragon! If you made a 4-man 2.5m version with a 1.875m top (which leaves enough room for a nosecone to enclose the docking port). Then you just need to add a service module (look at SumDum's SDHI for inspiration) and, for engines, can you fit 9 tiny engines into a 2.5m space? I know this wasn't really the goal of this mod, but I think it's a great direction to take it in (or at least a side project!).

EDIT: Also, a KAS/TAC compatible (but not required) unmanned pod would be awesome!

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

Hey guys, sorry for not updating this for so long :S

I'm coming back with bad news, I list my unity project folder because I kinda destroyed my C:/ drive.

This hopefully teaches me to backup my data...

So yeah, I'll have to redo most of the stuff I've shown you. The models for the fueltanks I can pull from the first version from Kerbalstuff, but everything else has to be remade :S

Really, really sorry for that.

At least I have a plan on how to set up the interior of the capsule now, the first interior was more of a trial and error.

I think the textures could use a bit more detail.

Definitely. Not just the textures ;)

Will this be including its own SM?

I'm not really a fan of pre build SMs but If people want one I might include it.

Oh man that pod looks good! 1.25m top and 1.875m bottom? I'd love to see a 1.875 top and 2.5m bottom, 4 man capsule with a Dragon-2-meets-Mk1-2 aesthetic. With matching hollow nosecone with opening animation, that con be placed around the standard 1.25m docking port.
The way this is going, I'd really like to see this become a stockalike SpaceX pack! The pod already looks something like the Dragon! If you made a 4-man 2.5m version with a 1.875m top (which leaves enough room for a nosecone to enclose the docking port). Then you just need to add a service module (look at SumDum's SDHI for inspiration) and, for engines, can you fit 9 tiny engines into a 2.5m space? I know this wasn't really the goal of this mod, but I think it's a great direction to take it in (or at least a side project!).

EDIT: Also, a KAS/TAC compatible (but not required) unmanned pod would be awesome!

I was thinking about the Dragon sized pod, will probably come sometime. The opening nosecone will be a nice and easy start for animations :D

No SpaceX pack though.

~Socke

Edited by Socke

That's why I don't keep anything important other my windows install * non essential programs on my C: drive, It's why as I've added Hard Drives I've gotten 4 other partitions. I just don't trust anything important on a Drive I might need to wipe in case of viruses or corruption....

Glad to see your not giving up on this!!!

Remodeled all the fueltanks today and started retexturing them:

MpDZHGF.png

These are just base colors with a bit AO.

The smallest fueltank got a redesign. I've also altered some details with the other ones.

Thanks to shared textures I was able to cram them all in one 1024x1024 texture, instead of multiple 512x512 textures. Quality is vastly improved by that while the memory footprint hopefully is smaller :)

Also the textures of the smaller tanks are not distorted anymore.

Dataloss has it's benefits :D

~Socke

Edited by Socke

Fuel tanks Mk 2 are done.

LQ6cdeS.png

I made a little roadmap for myself, the next update won't include the Pod yet, sadly. It'll just have the fueltanks and some additional parts, a decoupler, stack seperator, battery nosecones, SAS and flat adapters to 1.25m and 2.5m.

Bright side is, that I will be able to release it in the next few days.

A nice little feature I noticed:

Pm4O4nc.png

The umbilicals of the Soy aren't floating around anymore when used with the F12 tank :D

~Socke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.