[WIP] Socke's Parts - 1.875m Extension

Socke

Made some decouplers today. Don't mind the textures.

lCWAQBM.png

Also, since people were asking for an SM to fit the pod I'll be making, I searched for some reference material.

I already know which solar panels it will get:

wdHAaSr.jpg

Have solar panels like these been done before? I know of the round ones from near future solar.

Oooh! Pretty! I've never seen those done before but that configuration there looks like an Orion replica using Nertea's Near Future command pod. Yes, make them, please!

That's the Orion from Space Brothers, a great show. The whole mission profile they fly there is based on the Constellation Program iirc, but they have some aestetic differences, like these solar panels or small boosters on the Ares I rocket.

That's the Orion from Space Brothers, a great show. The whole mission profile they fly there is based on the Constellation Program iirc, but they have some aestetic differences, like these solar panels or small boosters on the Ares I rocket.

Thanks! Now I have something to watch! :D

By the way, it's an awesome idea to make an Orion stockalike pod, I would totally love it! Having your mod for Orion and 1.875m parts will make stockgame much more complete in terms of replicating real missions! :)

I'm not really a fan of pre build SMs but If people want one I might include it.

I was thinking about the Dragon sized pod, will probably come sometime. The opening nosecone will be a nice and easy start for animations :D

No SpaceX pack though.

~Socke

I'm not really a fan of building my own SM. Heh, touché. Mine all look ugly.

If you do make a Dragon pod, definitely a SM would be necessary. But otherwise, no sweat on not making a SpaceX pack. I'll probably just TweakScale down the parts from the SpaceY pack, or just ask NecroBones to make 2.5m versions.

I'm very excited for this stockalike Dragon!

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

Made some decouplers today. Don't mind the textures.

http://i.imgur.com/lCWAQBM.png

Also, since people were asking for an SM to fit the pod I'll be making, I searched for some reference material.

I already know which solar panels it will get:

http://i.imgur.com/wdHAaSr.jpg

Have solar panels like these been done before? I know of the round ones from near future solar.

Just wondering what those decouplers will look like eventually. They look very stock, which is good, but another, more NASA parts-style decoupler would be very nice too.

Also, those solar panels are cool! Not something I'd use for my stockalike Dragon, but they look interesting nonetheless.

Hey, great looking stock-alike parts! Nicely done! I look forward to seeing where this pack goes.

So far I've made three mods that I consider to be "stock-alike", and they don't really overlap, nor do they overlap with RLA Stock-Alike either. And now yours is also filling in a completely different gap as well.

I just quickly threw together a "mod pack" on Kerbal Stuff with all five (including yours). I'd love to see this group of mods get some real traction in the community. ;)

EDIT: Almost forgot to ask. If you're making 1.875m engines, are you planning on also making adapter plates (say 2.5m and 3.75m at the top) that will allow people to make clusters out of your engines? That would be really cool.

Hey, great looking stock-alike parts! Nicely done! I look forward to seeing where this pack goes.

So far I've made three mods that I consider to be "stock-alike", and they don't really overlap, nor do they overlap with RLA Stock-Alike either. And now yours is also filling in a completely different gap as well.

I just quickly threw together a "mod pack" on Kerbal Stuff with all five (including yours). I'd love to see this group of mods get some real traction in the community. ;)

EDIT: Almost forgot to ask. If you're making 1.875m engines, are you planning on also making adapter plates (say 2.5m and 3.75m at the top) that will allow people to make clusters out of your engines? That would be really cool.

3.75m adapter plates are a really good idea. Might also do 5m adapters to work with SpaceY (I use your pack frequently, love those launch clamps you're working on), but the focus after the small parts I'm making right now will definitely be the pod and parts for that. So no engines for a while.

About the modpack, it doesn't make too much sense to inclide my parts at this point imo, since they're not really compatible with anything else in there. The only mods I can think of it's compatible to right now would be HGR and Tantares and tweakscaled parts of course. Once I have the first pod and some engines finished I can hopefully say it can be used on it's own :D

I'm not really a fan of building my own SM. Heh, touché. Mine all look ugly.

If you do make a Dragon pod, definitely a SM would be necessary. But otherwise, no sweat on not making a SpaceX pack. I'll probably just TweakScale down the parts from the SpaceY pack, or just ask NecroBones to make 2.5m versions.

I'm very excited for this stockalike Dragon!

Just to clarify, the pod I'll be working on next will be a 1.875m 2/3 man pod. I like the idea of a Dragon sized pod that looks similar, but it's very low on my priority list. And considering how slow I tend work (I'm sorry) it may take quite some time. >_> Also my SM will look very different from the Dragon ;)

In other news, I just need to make flat adapters and nosecones for the next update.

Edited by Socke

Uploaded a quick update. Didn't find much time to work on anything KSP related but I wanted to release something so the only thing in there are decouplers and the reworked tanks. Hopefully I'll get some stuff done over christmas and new year :D

Here are the decouplers:

zeelQpD.png

Keep in mind I renamed the folder and some part dimensions have changed, so delete the old folder before installing this. Sorry for broken crafts.

Remodeled the outer model for the pod today. The windows are now a seperate mesh, so I can give them a more shiny shader. Also the mesh in genral and the UV are much more clean. The heatshield is now a seperate part that will be able to decouple. Textures will follow tomorrow, and then I will probably release it to get some feedback on balancing before making IVAs.

xezm48k.jpgQy4a0KK.jpgaz4fY3E.png

Edited by Socke

Just a FYI, if you can set up the alpha Chanel in your texture to act as a specular map. (White=shiny, black=not) That way the windows don't have to be seperate meshes. Works great for paneling as well. (Just make the panel lines much darker than the panels in the spec map.)

Anyway, looking good so far keep up the good work. :)

Just a FYI, if you can set up the alpha Chanel in your texture to act as a specular map. (White=shiny, black=not) That way the windows don't have to be seperate meshes. Works great for paneling as well. (Just make the panel lines much darker than the panels in the spec map.)

Anyway, looking good so far keep up the good work. :)

Haha, yeah, I realized that when I put the models in Unity. I thought there was a stock reflective shader I could use for the windows. I've been using specular for the fueltanks already.

Haha, yeah, I realized that when I put the models in Unity. I thought there was a stock reflective shader I could use for the windows. I've been using specular for the fueltanks already.

Oh I see, my mistake, you wanted an actual reflective material. Yea it's too bad there's not a stock one. I think I've seen one from the community somewhere though, if you want to go that route.

Hey!

I love your mod and I am also a big fan of Ven's work, so it was easy to fall in love with your style. 1.8 parts are perfect for moving on from my Mercury Redstone to Mercury Atlas (Yes I know about FASA, but trying to keep memory usage down, so I have FASA on a seperate install)

Anyway, I took the liberty to make RealFuel configs for your tanks, but in order to do so, I had to rename your models in your part.cfg - I have just removed the spaces between, ie: F12 Fuel Tank has been changed to F12FuelTank. You should think about that in your next update.

But I have included modified part.cfg for all fueltanks.

You can find it in my Dropboxfolder

Hey!

I love your mod and I am also a big fan of Ven's work, so it was easy to fall in love with your style. 1.8 parts are perfect for moving on from my Mercury Redstone to Mercury Atlas (Yes I know about FASA, but trying to keep memory usage down, so I have FASA on a seperate install)

Anyway, I took the liberty to make RealFuel configs for your tanks, but in order to do so, I had to rename your models in your part.cfg - I have just removed the spaces between, ie: F12 Fuel Tank has been changed to F12FuelTank. You should think about that in your next update.

But I have included modified part.cfg for all fueltanks.

You can find it in my Dropboxfolder

Thanks man! I'll incorporate the changed names in the next update. I'll also put the link to the realfuel configs in the OP if you don't mind.

Pod exterior is almost finished. Still needs a name, but you should get to test it soon.

Thanks man! I'll incorporate the changed names in the next update. I'll also put the link to the realfuel configs in the OP if you don't mind.

No, not at all. If you are happy with the values I can ask NathanKell to incorporate it with next RF update. But if you change the part names to something different like F12_Fuel_Tank, let me know so I can update.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.