Antares launch/failure discussion.

Jank

Lol, guy spoke on a NASA TV: "don't talk with the press" and "keep everything in our family" - someone messed up comms channels ;)

Unless that was part of the 5000 pounds of supplies i doubt it was a telescope

Yea, not really a telescope, sorry, I'm trying to keep you folks up to date, blame mistakes on a rush :)

Here's more details about it: http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/arkyd-3.htm

Edited by Sky_walker

He meant 'who's keeping the ISS supplied', not 'Who's taking the blame'. They should be fine with the existing schedule of progress/dragon/HTV flights, they'll just have to reduce the number of running experiments.

We can never progress if we allow a failure like this to stop us. It is our responsibility to learn from this, to push forward, to correct what wrong. It is our duty to never forget and reach for that next horizon and the ones beyond that.

Antaresfailure_zpsa0966f3a.jpg

That's the moment and point of failure. Right at ignition, there's a bang where there shouldn't be. Then the craft proceeds for a few seconds until a bigger explosion and zero thrust sends it back to the pad.

My money's on a turbopump burnthrough. This design runs extremely lean and routes it's exhaust directly into the chamber instead of over the side. It's very efficient, but also risky because things like this can happen.

Best,

-Slashy

They're NK-33 engines built for the N-1 program; they've were sat in a warehouse from cancellation in the mid 70s until aerojet bought some on the early 2000s. They have a few upgrades (and are now known officially as 'AJ-26'), but they're still mostly soviet moon rocket heritage.

They're NK-33 engines built for the N-1 program; they've were sat in a warehouse from cancellation in the mid 70s until aerojet bought some on the early 2000s. They have a few upgrades (and are now known officially as 'AJ-26'), but they're still mostly soviet moon rocket heritage.

Still passed all of the Aerojet quality control tests. And as said - these aren't fully Russian engines, not any more.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/GoSlash27/Antaresfailure_zpsa0966f3a.jpg

That's the moment and point of failure. Right at ignition, there's a bang where there shouldn't be. Then the craft proceeds for a few seconds until a bigger explosion and zero thrust sends it back to the pad.

My money's on a turbopump burnthrough. This design runs extremely lean and routes it's exhaust directly into the chamber instead of over the side. It's very efficient, but also risky because things like this can happen.

Best,

-Slashy

Isn't that flash the launch clamps firing? The one on the right seems to fire at the same time as well.

The difference is a few valves and the control unit; the nozzle, turbopump and combustion chamber are all soviet. If you look at pictures from the early test firings, you can see they didn't even bother to scrub off the 'HK-33' labels.

Edited by Kryten

Oh, in that sense I totally agree with you.

I was wronmg on the manufacturing then(sorry).

The engine was and probably still is too far ahead of its time.

Okay, thanks. Glad we resolved what we were both trying to say. :) I wasn't trying to offend anyone, sorry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.