Is KSP the greatest video game ever made?

sedativechunk

I was just thinking about this, and maybe the official forums isn't the best place to ask. But do you consider KSP the greatest video game created as of 2014, or at least in the top 10? I been thinking about it. This past year, I've played BF4 (max settings on PC mind you), LoL, Borderlands, I bought a PS4 with a handful of games, and even got a Wii U last month. Out of all these games, out of all these systems, the one game I keep making time for in my life and probably play more than anything else is KSP. Now I am a space enthusiast and this game has a certain niche appeal. However, I think KSP has to be within my top three greatest video games ever made and I'm 24 years old. I grew up with sega genesis, N64, and all those great systems of the 90's and beyond. This game has probably stuck on me more than any of them. I also put my fair share of time into Minecraft which is also high up there. But I enjoy this game astronomically more (no pun intended) than that game!

There really is something about this game. It's infinite replayability and imagination and ability to teach the basic concepts or orbital physics and so forth. This game is truly a masterpiece. There are a few games I consider absolute masterpieces that will stand the test of time. That list includes Starfox 64, Mortal Kombat II, and a few others. But KSPis moving to the top of the list I believe! I wanted to see how people felt on here about this game, and how you think it stacks up to the bigger picture. I don't see this highly moddable game ever going out of fashion, at least for another 5-10 years even!

Based on my hours played alone, I would say it's my favorite game, followed by FTL, Elder Scrolls games, Thief games, and Galactic Civ. Oh and the tropico series.

Given it's niche appeal however, I'm sure many would say World of Warcraft or maybe Tetris is considered to be the most played of all time. Minecraft is up there too, but I don't like that game myself.

Best video game ever: Pong :P:D

Nah, I think KSP is pretty good. It's my favorite game by far. Dunno how popular it is, but my sister has told me of 3 or 4 people in her school that play, and I know a lot of people who do in my school.

It depends on how you define "best" when it comes to video games. Some people rate the first game to do something as being better than a later version. Personally, I call this "innovative," not "best."

This isn't the best game I've played per se, but it definitely sets a lofty standard for playing time vs cost and overall enjoyment. I've spent sixty dollars on worse games. I really cannot complain at all.

Though I agree KSP is a great game that is very immersive and has a lot of replay value, I feel it has one aspect that holds it back from being "the best game ever"; it only appeals to a niche community. It seems there is no middle ground with this game: you either take interest in space/aeronautics and LOVE it, or its not really your cup of tea and you simply shrug it off. For example, I have, in the past, gotten mission "highs" wherein I have a lot going on and I feel a buzz when I play. When this happened, I wanted to talk to someone about my goals and accomplishments thus far. I began explaining what was going on to my (older) sister, but found that her attitude was very dismissive. Later, I attempted to get her to build and fly a plane, to which she said "this is the most boring game ever, its not even a game... just a simulator." Likewise, my friends had a similar attitude (except they actually enjoyed killing kerbals/wrecking stuff). GTA V was regarded as one of the "best games ever" because it appeals to a wide variety of people; everyone loves chaos. There are other factors as well, such as lag, PC exclusivity, incompletion, and learning curve which all contribute to holding KSP back. With all of this said, I love the game and these are not suggestions, simply observations. There is no use in saying KSP needs to change to appeal to more people because that would change core values of the game. Its great just as it is (though it could do without lag and bugs!).

Based on my hours played alone, I would say it's my favorite game, followed by FTL, Elder Scrolls games, Thief games, and Galactic Civ. Oh and the tropico series.

Given it's niche appeal however, I'm sure many would say World of Warcraft or maybe Tetris is considered to be the most played of all time. Minecraft is up there too, but I don't like that game myself.

Nice selection :-)

I have over 400 computer games from the early 80s onwards. The Civilization, SimCity and Elder Scrolls families have to be in there and Tropico is a lot of fun still, with good humour and the only soundtrack I don't switch off. Homeworld and Black & White are forgotten gems and for any 'tycoon' fans I can recommend the (free) open-source Transport Tycoon clone. For multiplayer Eve Online would have to be in there although I like the openess of Second Life (unfortunately they keep trying to make a 'game' out of it though and gamers have spoilt it).

Machiavelli The Prince has incredible depth for a trading game, The Incredible Machine surely the most, well incredible, puzzle style. For me, though, the games I keep going back to are the Total War series, especially Rome.

Edited by Pecan

KSP has displaced just about all other games for me, aside from a few casual games on my phone (even there, I mostly play SimpleRockets, a 2D KSP clone). No game has held my attention as deeply and for as long as it has. For me, KSP is easily the greatest game ever.

Edit to add: My reasons why I find KSP so addictive, posted in an older thread but relevant here:

There's a lot of things going on that make it addictive:

- The only limit is your imagination. There's not a single best way to play KSP, you are totally free to experiment with unusual play styles without much in the way of penalty. Want an all SRB space program? Go ahead. Want to make planes and just fly around Kerbin? Fill your boots. Start a colony on Laythe? Have fun with it. Build replicas of real life rockets? You can do that, too.

- There's always more to learn. I've played for about three years now, and I still learn things all the time that make me better at KSP, as often as not from some new poster here who's been playing for a month. I don't know that any other than a very elite few can say they are fully expert at all aspects of KSP with nothing left to learn.

- It's different. As the investment to create games gets higher and higher, companies are less and less likely to take chances on game genres that aren't already established. So we get Shoot People in a Slightly Different Way 5, Drive Really Fast in Photorealistic Cars 4, and Endorsement-filled Professional Sports Game 2014. KSP is fresh, and engages parts of the gamer mind that the repetitive other genres do not.

- It's SPACE. I've loved space exploration since I was in grade school, a game that lets me be the rocket scientist, mission controller and the astronaut is incredibly appealing.

- It's cerebral. KSP appeals to the intellect in a way most games do not. There is a delay of gratification that makes your accomplishments more satisfying. It takes smarts to do well in KSP, not just the quick reflexes and relentless practice that most other games reward. It doesn't dumb down difficult concepts to make them easier, it challenges you to figure out those difficult things.

- It's customizable. Don't like some aspect of KSP's gameplay or wish there was a certain part in the game? I'd give long odds that some modder has felt the same way and made a mod for it, likely thinking of things you didn't. Want more data for design and flight? Mods. Want hyper-realism and greater difficulty? Mods. More eye candy? Mods. Beautifully crafted replicas of real rockets? Mods. ISRU or theoretical propulsion systems? Mods. Your mix of mods can make the game just about perfect for you.

- It keeps getting better. Each new release adds more features and bugfixes, and mods keep getting more refined and capable. I took a break from KSP for a few months in late 2012, when I came back to it the game had changed considerably for the better.

- It has a great community. For all that KSP is mostly a single player game, the level of interaction I've experienced in KSP's community is well above any other game's community of which I've been a part. People are incredibly helpful when a player is trying to get over the initial hump of difficulty or otherwise struggling, they congratulate each other on their accomplishments, and there are tons of high quality tutorials, videos and other community-generated content out there.

So yeah, I'm addicted, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Well, I've never really played video games. Not for many years anyway. I used to get bored of them pretty quickly.

But KSP is different. I spend way too long on it, and becoming bored seems less and less likely the more I play it. I think it's the freedom I have to do what I want - no gameplay path to follow, the fact that it can be fiendishly difficult at times, and the fact that the modding community comes up with such an incredible volume of brilliant things.

I am super bored of any game where the basic objective is to take some gun, run around a map, and shoot other people, or any variation there of. I have no problem with that game play mechanism, but it is no longer for me.

This game isnt anything at all like that. It shows that there are vast and deep gaming possibilities without having to be competitive.

It largely depends on your criteria.

Number of Players: Nope

Number of years holding an active fan base: nope

My personal favorite game: nope (Ocarina of Time if you were wondering)

It's a great idea and a great game but lets not put labels like "greatest ever made" on it just yet.

It largely depends on your criteria.

Number of Players: Nope

Number of years holding an active fan base: nope

My personal favorite game: nope (Ocarina of Time if you were wondering)

It's a great idea and a great game but lets not put labels like "greatest ever made" on it just yet.

lol you could have easily said "not for me"

I wouldn't say it's the greatest game ever made. I would say it is one of the most impressive games made recently.

The SQUAD team have managed to present a very hard physics subject (orbital mechanics) in a playful, enjoyable and addictive form that supports creative thinking, imagination and experimentation. And that is beyond impressive. KSP is a fine example of what games, as a medium, can achieve when the branch out of stereotypical genres.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.