[0.25] KerbQuake continued - v1.2.1 - Reactive Camera Shakes while IVA [2014-10-29]

dxdt

KerbQuake v1.2.1

created by Sir Haxington

maintained by dxdt

Immersive IVA / First person-EVA Reactive Camera Shakes

Hey all, if you're like me you probably have hundreds of hours in KSP logged and you keep trying new things to make the game interesting. I got hooked on Mihara's Raster Prop Monitor mod and flying IVA, but something was missing. The universe felt a little dead... a little static. So, I put on my Unity hat and threw together KerbQuake, which adds camera shake for various events while in IVA mode.

Since Sir Haxington seem to have vanished from the face of Kerbin, I have decided to maintain his KerbQuake mod. Let me know if you experience any bugs.

Engine Shakes:

• The combined engines total thrust will shake the cam accordingly. Throttle up the mainsails!
  • SRBs shake 2.5x more than their liquid fuel brethren.
  • Jet engines shake reduced to nearly zero for smoother space plane rides.
  • Max engine shake reduced slightly for easier button pressing.

Atmospheric Shakes:

• The more dense the atmosphere and the faster you move through it the more it'll shake.
  • Hitting terminal velocity will exaggerate the shake.
  • Re-entry FX will REALLY exaggerate the shake.
  • Re-entry exits are smoother now.
  • Overall effect of atmospheric shake reduced for better space plane flights.

Landing & Collision Shakes:

• Landing shake will depend on how hard you land and shakes when each part touches the ground / water.
  • Nearby collisions (parts popping off you ship on rough landings) will shake the cam hard.

Decouplers & Launch Clamps:

• Decouplers total ejection force will shake accordingly.
  • Launch clamps will shake when released but won't be seen on larger take-offs.

Docking:

• The cam will shake on successful docking, giving you visual feedback for IVA docking!

Parachutes:

• Parachutes will add to the atmospheric shake while semi-deployed.
  • Parachutes will dampen the atmospheric shake while fully deployed.
  • Chutes will give a healthy shake when they go from semi-deployed to fully deployed.
  • RealChutes supported.

Rovers:

• Wheeled vehicles will shake while moving over terrain.
  • Fix for landing gear shakes, space planes shake on take off / landings now.
  • Overall shake increased, especially outside of the Space Center.

EVA (first person):

• Support for shakes in first person EVA using the "Through the Eyes of a Kerbal" mod.
  • Shakes for RCS use.
  • Shakes for ladder grabs.
  • Shakes for landings and rough landings (ragdolls) based on impact speed.
  • Shakes for footsteps on low-G worlds.
  • Early / basic support for the FirstPersonEVA mod.

-----------------

Download on KerbalStuff or GitHub

Source on GitHub

License

Edited by dxdt

I've noticed a major bug with this mod.

The issue is that since I installed this mod, my radial decouplers stopped functioning correctly. They wouldn't eject the attached payload properly (the payload would just "slide" off, most often destroying my ship). I tried many ways of attaching the decouplers, including using tiny boosters to separate the payload. But the boosters wouldn't go off either! Finally, I checked the console log and I noticed I get a spam of the below exception when this happens:

[EXC 13:36:38.152] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object	KerbQuake.KerbQuake.Update ()

Uninstalling this mod resolved the issue.

This mod makes the IVA experience much, much better. I had to remove it, though, because I found it was causing an issue. Whenever I quicksaved (F5) a game during re-entry, and later tried to quickload (F9), it would make KSP unresponsive (windows blue circle followed by blank screen). This required me to restart the game and when you are trying to land spaceplanes, you need all the F9 you can get = )

I use several mods, but I believe the ones at play are Deadly Reentry, FAR and KerbQuake. Removing the latter resolved the issue. Great mod, really sad to let it go.

The issue is that since I installed this mod, my radial decouplers stopped functioning correctly. They wouldn't eject the attached payload properly (the payload would just "slide" off, most often destroying my ship). I tried many ways of attaching the decouplers, including using tiny boosters to separate the payload. But the boosters wouldn't go off either! Finally, I checked the console log and I noticed I get a spam of the below exception when this happens:

[EXC 13:36:38.152] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object	KerbQuake.KerbQuake.Update ()

Hmm. I am actually getting this issue too, but only if I used manual staging. I usually use SmartParts to stage when a tank is empty which works fine.

Hey, I'm trying to get this mod working (using this 'continued' version), but each time I've installed it, I've noticed essentially 0 shake - going to keep testing under different conditions, then I'll edit this post to include my output_log later tonight.

Using this mod alongside KerbTrack - could that be the issue; might the camera being tethered to my head be preventing it from "shaking?" May try temporarily removing it to see.

Edit: looks like that's what's happening. Not certain what can actually be done; no big problem for me, as I can just disable KerbTrack as needed. Here's my log, though, if it might be helpful in making the two compatible: http://www./download/294x7z9bbd7jdqo/output_log.txt

For now, it may just be best to edit the OP with the note that the two mods don't play nicely together.

Edited by Shively

Did you ever have any luck integrating FAR drag into this? I think it'd be immensely awesome :) I'm thinking about pulling hard turn in jet's causing some camera shake as the drag profile increases. Also everything could be run off of it as FAR drag would take into account atmospheric density, pressure etc, then total 'shake' could simply be a factor of engine power + drag value. I think Farram would probably be happy to lend you some info to enable integration

My decouplers were, yes, lacking ejection force, but also not staging correctly. The issue seems to appear with KJR too. You can read more here.

Thanks for maintaining the mod. I have been thinking about how cool a mod would be that would allow small micromovements of the camera both in IVA and external ship views. The completely stationary views that are in KSP now are very sterile and just the smallest 'play' of the camera views would give the game a very dynamic feel. Anyway I have absolutely no modding or coding acumen but I think the KQ mod is trying to increase the same sense of atmosphere in game. Just a suggestion!

This is just the first video that I could think of that might show something close to what I'm talking about. The first opening scene of the ship at the beginning. It's not exactly (i dont even have destiny but knew it was a space game).

could you please disable camera shaking when you are landed because it is really annoying when driving a rover in iva with RPM (i am using powered wheels not engines )

Edited by Krzd