Nuka Corp shuttle project ( and apparently other stuff :D )

Anariaq

Well Nuka Corp has entered the world of shuttle.

Currently I have of course going into something I have no Idea how to make it work :( So currently it is only 3d model Ill continue on. But will figure out sooner or later how to make it work inside KSP. So just gonna show the shuttle.

The plan is to use this one as a recovery mission. To get out and catch a pod to return home to Kerbin. And secondary mission can be to send satellite out.

Nukacorpshuttlemk1.jpg

Nukacorpshuttlemk2.jpg

Nukacorpshuttlemk3.jpg

Looking great, now all you have to do is all the boring work.

I gave up on my first shuttle project made in blender (http://i.imgur.com/4RlEC.png) because cutting it apart and UVmapping everything simply took far too long and wasn\'t really that fun. So you should probably try to come up with a solid plan before you start wildly cutting it apart.

Looking great, now all you have to do is all the boring work.

I gave up on my first shuttle project made in blender (http://i.imgur.com/4RlEC.png) because cutting it apart and UVmapping everything simply took far too long and wasn\'t really that fun. So you should probably try to come up with a solid plan before you start wildly cutting it apart.

Thanks. I do have a edge with UV mapping airplanes. Have build couple of planes for X-Plane. The only problem is texture, not good at it :)

Also, we have to discuss functionality:

If you want this to catch satellites, you\'ll have to put two lander legs shaped like cargo bays on the belly or back to be able to do that.

Thats the idea. Im planning to do that, but will as start only make a body without any cargo area. After testing and to see if I actually can make it fly. Then Ill start to make different type of cargo areas.

little update, finally started to texture. As can be seen, Im not good at it ;)

shuttle001.jpg

Thats the idea. Im planning to do that, but will as start only make a body without any cargo area. After testing and to see if I actually can make it fly. Then Ill start to make different type of cargo areas.

little update, finally started to texture. As can be seen, Im not good at it ;)

shuttle001.jpg

Wow this looks good

Well before I go and finish this one. I have decided to make a little shuttle first. To learn how airplane works in KSP.

so far how it will look full connected

minishuttleall.jpg

minishuttlealltop.jpg

and the texturing so far.

minishuttlefront.jpg

minishuttleside.jpg

fuel tank

minishuttlefueltank.jpg

Also finished with the wings, only need to finish the engine. Then Ill go and figure out how to make it work in KSP. Will of course release it when Im done and it works.

What are you using to model? Sorry if you said it already, I\'m very lazy. :P

Never said it before. But using Blender.

And some update on the main shuttle. Finished with all but rear rcs.

The nose that doubles as front RCS

nosercs.jpg

new texture on pod.

shuttlepod.jpg

the ASAS that will be behind the pod

sas.jpg

RCS fuel doubles as the main body of the shuttle.

rcsfuel.jpg

The fuel and engine holder. Note that it will look like it is OP with alot of fuel. But can\'t figure out how to make the wing contain fuel also. So the amount of fuel is from the wing and mainbody it self ( in the design )

fuel.jpg

Last but not least. The wing

wing.jpg

It\'s better than I can do lol. How untill it\'s done do you think?

Don\'t have a clue when It will be done. Have a lot to learn about how setting up the .cfg in the different parts. The wings will be my biggest problem. The only thing I have done so far is only pod and a experimental SAS, engine and fuel for Mun lander MK2 that I have not released.

Wow, looking great!

Many thanks!

Now little update. Finally got some of the models in to KSP.

shuttleingame001.jpg

My biggest problem right now. Is that I cant my head around how to make the wings and the RCS to work cant understand how they work ???

Anybody can give a hint on how they work so I can finish it?

My biggest problem right now. Is that I cant my head around how to make the wings and the RCS to work cant understand how they work ???

Anybody can give a hint on how they work so I can finish it?

Well, thats a bit of a broad topic, as we don\'t know what you do understand yet.

Wings: there are two part types:

Winglets which are static, non-controllable wing that just provide Lift based on how far 'deflected' from horizontal they are. Usually you need these to be \'rotationally mirrored' which means if you spin them around and attach them upside down on the other side of a cylinder, they would look the same; You do this so you can attach them in 2x symmetry (allowing you to attach controlsurfaces to them in 2x as well.. more on that in a minute)

Control Surfaces: These are the controllable winglets, like rudders, ailerons, elevators, and so on. If you attach elevator-type winglets in 2x symmetry, they work as a unit to give you roll control (one goes up, one goes down, you roll over) if you don\'t attach them in 2x, they work alone and only provide pitch control

You can either make your main wings 'winglets' and attach the control surfaces to their trailing edges (as the C7 wings work) or you can build the elevators/ailerons/flaps into the main wing as a single unit, making the whole wing one big controlsurface (the config lets you set what percentage of the overall surfacearea is counted as 'moving' as far as figuring turning power)

For the Controlsurfaces, there are three objects required:

node_collider - a normal collider defining the physical constraints of the wing as a whole, including the moving part

obj_base - the non-moving portion of the wing, typically what attaches to the shuttle or whatever its connecting to. Can be oriented in any direction using is pivot point or by rotating the actual mesh in \'edit mode\'

obj_ctrlSrf - this part moves; it actually rotates around the X axis at its pivot point (the direction of rotation is determined by whether its located in front of or behind the center of gravity of the ship as a whole) So you MUST orient its mesh to be aligned with the X axis so it can rotate properly; Then you can rotate the whole object in Object mode via Transform to any orientation. So you can set up the flap to rotate, then rotate the whole object 90 degrees and it will appear to rotate perpendicular to the X axis

Once you get your brain around that, you can tackle advanced connection angles via the config

I\'ll leave the RCS system explanation to someone else, though you can look at the RCS nosepiece in my TiberDyne Shuttlepack for an example of a complex single RCS unit with 6 different thrusters.

Don\'t have a clue when It will be done. Have a lot to learn about how setting up the .cfg in the different parts. The wings will be my biggest problem. The only thing I have done so far is only pod and a experimental SAS, engine and fuel for Mun lander MK2 that I have not released.

Buy that time we will have a universe to explore. Lol. The wings sound like they would be hard. That SAS will that be advanced or regular? It would be really cool if it were a Hybrid of both.

Well, thats a bit of a broad topic, as we don\'t know what you do understand yet.

Wings: there are two part types:

Winglets which are static, non-controllable wing that just provide Lift based on how far 'deflected' from horizontal they are. Usually you need these to be \'rotationally mirrored' which means if you spin them around and attach them upside down on the other side of a cylinder, they would look the same; You do this so you can attach them in 2x symmetry (allowing you to attach controlsurfaces to them in 2x as well.. more on that in a minute)

Control Surfaces: These are the controllable winglets, like rudders, ailerons, elevators, and so on. If you attach elevator-type winglets in 2x symmetry, they work as a unit to give you roll control (one goes up, one goes down, you roll over) if you don\'t attach them in 2x, they work alone and only provide pitch control

You can either make your main wings 'winglets' and attach the control surfaces to their trailing edges (as the C7 wings work) or you can build the elevators/ailerons/flaps into the main wing as a single unit, making the whole wing one big controlsurface (the config lets you set what percentage of the overall surfacearea is counted as 'moving' as far as figuring turning power)

For the Controlsurfaces, there are three objects required:

node_collider - a normal collider defining the physical constraints of the wing as a whole, including the moving part

obj_base - the non-moving portion of the wing, typically what attaches to the shuttle or whatever its connecting to. Can be oriented in any direction using is pivot point or by rotating the actual mesh in \'edit mode\'

obj_ctrlSrf - this part moves; it actually rotates around the X axis at its pivot point (the direction of rotation is determined by whether its located in front of or behind the center of gravity of the ship as a whole) So you MUST orient its mesh to be aligned with the X axis so it can rotate properly; Then you can rotate the whole object in Object mode via Transform to any orientation. So you can set up the flap to rotate, then rotate the whole object 90 degrees and it will appear to rotate perpendicular to the X axis

Once you get your brain around that, you can tackle advanced connection angles via the config

I\'ll leave the RCS system explanation to someone else, though you can look at the RCS nosepiece in my TiberDyne Shuttlepack for an example of a complex single RCS unit with 6 different thrusters.

Many thanks. Did make me understand better how they work in KSP. I got some problems though.

whenever I try to use symmetry when I attach the wing. It will go to single automatic.

screenshot5.jpg

screenshot6.jpg

what I\'m I doing wrong?

anyway start to look good :P

screenshot7.jpg

It\'s not that hard to make a .cfg out of nowhere. (coming from a programmer)

Ya my problem is that I\'m not a programmer :D

When using stack nodes with symmetry like that, you need to tell the middle piece how many connections to accept; this is done via the config parameter stackSymmetry

It uses the counting method that programmers use; so you start at 0 for 1 connection; 1 is 2 connections, 2 is 3 connections, and so on.

For you, you\'d want:

stackSymmetry = 1

typically you put it under attachRules = ....

And this goes in the main body\'s config.