Blue Jet Engine

Geometrian

After a SSTO was destroyed at a critical moment, I reproduced the problem: overheating. It turns out that overheating jet engines glow blue (which makes some kind of sense, but I didn't realize was implemented):

bluejet_zpse94e89d0.png

I hadn't seen anyone notice this before, but I thought it was kindof pretty. The small rockets are angled toward the jet; the screenshot was taken a few milliseconds before the jet exploded.

After a SSTO was destroyed at a critical moment, I reproduced the problem: overheating. It turns out that overheating jet engines glow blue (which makes some kind of sense, but I didn't realize was implemented):

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx36/geometrian/bluejet_zpse94e89d0.png

I hadn't seen anyone notice this before, but I thought it was kindof pretty. The small rockets are angled toward the jet; the screenshot was taken a few milliseconds before the jet exploded.

OOOH, that's pretty. Any mods installed that might be doing this?

OOOH, that's pretty. Any mods installed that might be doing this?
Nope. My install is entirely stock. Not even MechJeb. Put three Rockomax 24-77 engines spaced around a turbojet output, angled two "SHIFT+W"s inward. That makes a fairly stable example for a turbojet.

It's also possible with a standard jet engine:

Image1_zpsc42d8a40.png

Wow. Never knew that, probably because I can't think of a scenario where a jet engine would overheat.

Yesterday I was testing out my first plane that actually worked and it began to overheat when it experienced flaming reentry effects at 1km/s in the upper atmosphere. I did have Interstellar installed though, and before it exploded the engines turned themselves off.

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed that KSPInterstellar exaggerates the problem. Here's an attempted SSTO burning blue:

blue_zps214ad226.png

I've noticed that in this case, the engines power off automatically. I believe this is KSPInterstellar's doing. The exact same aircraft without it doesn't overheat.

Though, it doesn't get to orbit; for that you need this:

success_zps28d367db.png

That's rly cool. Too bad that they need to be that close to explosion. I recently tested a new SSTO with jet engines (mods: b9 qnd FAR). I actually had some overheatoing in the upper atmosphere due to mach limits by b9, but it wasn't enough to trigger the blue effect :(

I saw it here for the first time. Thx for sharing this btw. It's a rly cool detail

http://i.imgur.com/j1WQpKB.jpg

That looks so cool. Too bad these blue overheating effects are given to engines that never overheat.

LOL speak for yourself. My mainsails frequently overheat if run at full throttle. I've heard theres a problem with how they conduct heat to the large orange tanks, though, which is where I usually have them mounted.

Yesterday I was testing out my first plane that actually worked and it began to overheat when it experienced flaming reentry effects at 1km/s in the upper atmosphere. I did have Interstellar installed though, and before it exploded the engines turned themselves off.

Doesn't interstellar require intake pre-coolers for air-breathers at high mach?

I tried it myself, I found that by varying the thrust of my Bad-Idea 9000 I could change the color of the engine in interesting ways...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

but hey, at least we can have Jet Blue!

Also, I tried it with a skipper:

Z8yglzt.png

XsC2Q6r.png

Pushed it

dIlzwr8.png

And this was a really cool shot of the apparatus after the engine...was removed.

FsmyJOM.png

Aerospike:

iJ7FURd.png

fFldt94.png

Looks absolutely amazing

Edited by waterlubber

It happens often with my SSTO when I'm at 10K meters. At this altitude you start building some real speed and the air flow gets very important thus making the engine heating. Once you climb to 12K it's ok because the atmosphere is less thick. However you need to stay at 10K for some minutes to allow the engine heating.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.