[WIN] KSP to DDS texture converter

Lilleman

I had the same trouble Damaske had when running the tool. It loaded up the files, (I processed the GameData folder with about 70 Mods installed) then said all files excluded and no files were processed.

I checked the usual suspects, found the Folder was read only, so removed that attribute (and the files too) I even moved the GameData folder out of the KSP folder to my desktop. Still same results.

I do have ATM x86 basic mod installed, and am using Win7.

Anymore suggestions as to why it will not process any files?

@BLackHat, @MK3424

A couple of notes based on my experience:

1) The config file cannot have any empty lines. It treats an empty line as if everything is excluded. So either remove all empty lines or put comment marks // at the start of each empty line.

2) It will choke on textures pruned/renamed by the optional pruner in Ven's Stock Revamp. You have to delete all of the mubak, mu.bak, mbmbak, and mbm.bak files or it will fail (I'm sure everyone is testing on a copy of their install and not the main install).

I was able to get it to work by observing these two rules.

Edited by Tarheel1999

@BLackHat, @MK3424

A couple of notes based on my experience:

1) The config file cannot have any empty lines. It treats an empty line as if everything is excluded. So either remove all empty lines or put comment marks // at the start of each empty line.

2) It will choke on textures pruned/renamed by the optional pruner in Ven's Stock Revamp. You have to delete all of the mubak, mu.bak, mbmbak, and mbm.bak files or it will fail (I'm sure everyone is testing on a copy of their install and not the main install).

I was able to get it to work by observing these two rules.

1. I assume you meant the "ModsExceptions.txt" file and not the config file? (I dont see a config file in DDS4KSP) Yep, found a few blank lines from when I added updates since it was uploaded...

2. Hmm, sounds like its easier to just uninstall Ven's Stock Revamp Mod and run the DDS4KSP, then reinstall Ven's after that.

Yes, the modexpections.txt which allows you to configure how it will operate. Your choice with respect to Ven's but the pruner may not work after the textures in the Squad folder are converted to dds. Then you'll have to manually delete the parts by looking at Ven's MM cfg or accept the wasted memory from the unused but loaded textures. Removing the renamed files is likely quicker and relatively painless.

Ok It runs now. (Got rid of the blank lines in modexpections.txt)

Ok as far as Ven's is concerned, are you talking about ONLY the files in the VEN's folder in Game data? [ok that will be MUCH easier]

or am I going to have to a search through all the mod folders looking for files with "mubak, mu.bak, mbmbak, and mbm.bak" [that's what I thought you meant at first]

EDIT: Ok I re-read you post, and see you were saying "if I used the Optional Pruner" which I have not, so I would assume that I will not need to delete anything.

Edited by BlackHat

Are this mods texture compression artifacts (green tint) any better or worse than ATM's?

It uses the same compression as ATM, but no compression artifacts should be visible in either case. If things are tinted green then something's wrong.

Lilleman, great tool! Helped me out a lot as well.

I do have a request though, if possible, would it be possible for you to add the following feature:

Resize textures to fixed resolution X*b (keeping aspect ratios) Perhaps with a dropdown list, listing 128*x, 256*x, 512*x, 1024*x.

Currently I want to test if resizing all my part textures to 256* would benefit my ram profile. But this has to be done hand, which is somewhat of a pain when needing to go through/check a lots and lots of parts.

an annoying problem.... and a question.

I use CKAN for installing/updating/removing mods.

When it updates a mod, that has had its files turned to dds, it fails to remove them, or delete the folders. (Well Duhh, cause the files have been processed/renamed, and so it cant delete them, and therefor the folders are not empty)

Dont guess there is much we can do about that. I just watch during updates and see which "folders" its trying to delete and delete them manually and re-install the mod.

Question, I noticed while browsing the game data folder, that the dds files when viewed are upside down visually compared to the original files. (Noticed a corporate "flag" that was upside down when I looked, and checked the original files and saw that it was right side up. looked some more and saw many icons were also rendered upside down when inspected in the folders. ??

I am still very early in my career path and dont have most of this stuff unlocked.

Is this just a visual bug, and they DO display correctly in the game?

an annoying problem.... and a question.

I use CKAN for installing/updating/removing mods.

When it updates a mod, that has had its files turned to dds, it fails to remove them, or delete the folders. (Well Duhh, cause the files have been processed/renamed, and so it cant delete them, and therefor the folders are not empty)

Dont guess there is much we can do about that. I just watch during updates and see which "folders" its trying to delete and delete them manually and re-install the mod.

For most updates, you should be fine to just rerun dds4ksp on the folder and it'll re-convert everything. There are occasional cases where a particular update will move or delete a texture in which case you're in trouble but this is rare.

Question, I noticed while browsing the game data folder, that the dds files when viewed are upside down visually compared to the original files. (Noticed a corporate "flag" that was upside down when I looked, and checked the original files and saw that it was right side up. looked some more and saw many icons were also rendered upside down when inspected in the folders. ??

I am still very early in my career path and dont have most of this stuff unlocked.

Is this just a visual bug, and they DO display correctly in the game?

DDS textures have to be flipped vertically in KSP for some reason. Not sure why. They look correct in-game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, guys!

First, thanks for this great little tool, Lilleman!

Unfortunately, I can't rely on it to optimize my install because it depends on Windows (and I use Linux). After some searching, I've found a Gimp plugin (also with Windows binaries) and an online tool but, in both cases, my doubts remain the same: what settings should I use for my PNG files? And for normal (*NRM.png) files?

Hello, guys!

First, thanks for this great little tool, Lilleman!

Unfortunately, I can't rely on it to optimize my install because it depends on Windows (and I use Linux). After some searching, I've found a Gimp plugin (also with Windows binaries) and an online tool but, in both cases, my doubts remain the same: what settings should I use for my PNG files? And for normal (*NRM.png) files?

For normal maps, use the DXT5nm format. For diffuse maps (regular textures) use DXT5 if they have transparency otherwise DXT1. Everything should be flipped vertically.

Sorry to post twice in a row, but I'm having problems with my textures: kerbanauts' uniforms have some dark areas. I've tried using mip maps and without them.

But I've isolated the problems in the normal maps: when I use them in PNG format (without conversion) the uniforms show up correctly.

What have I done wrong?

mipmaps use more memory but make the texture slightly better looking when an item is far. It depends if you convert to save memory or only to make it load faster.

Not sure about the uniform issue. Did you convert them in the right color space ? Unity Normals need to be converted ( RGB -> GGGR ). mbm are already like that, but png are converted by KSP.

Have a look at https://github.com/ducakar/img2dds/releases it has a binary that handle that with an simple option and a python script that loops on the KSP files.

mipmaps use more memory but make the texture slightly better looking when an item is far. It depends if you convert to save memory or only to make it load faster.

Not sure about the uniform issue. Did you convert them in the right color space ? Unity Normals need to be converted ( RGB -> GGGR ). mbm are already like that, but png are converted by KSP.

Have a look at https://github.com/ducakar/img2dds/releases it has a binary that handle that with an simple option and a python script that loops on the KSP files.

I'm not sure if I'll do it on all GameData folder (it deletes the original textures and it's a HUGE backup to do), but I'll try it on my custom textures from Texture Replacer...

Thanks! :)

Today "Norton Internet Security" removed DDS4KSP from my computer... Saying it is not widely used and had a bad reputation...

I really hate NIS.

Run...Do not walk, but RUN away from ANY Norton or McAffee products...Once they get their claws into your computer, good luck ever removing all traces even after an "uninstall"...Also, with them on your computer, check out how many open connections to the internet your computer has, and how many are due to these products... There is NO need for that, except for datamining and tracking...

Hopefully this will help. Even with aggressive ATM, it only takes a few biomehopper launch and landings for the lighting to freak out and do this:

screenshot15_zpsjlq97q4m.png

Which btw is a sign that KSP is on the verge of running out of memory, it crashes when I go to space center 100% of the time from that point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.