[WIN] KSP to DDS texture converter

Lilleman

Been trying to use this utility to convert some very old textures I'm using.

Problem is the original textures are .jpgs

It doesn't seem to matter how I convert them to .pngs the utility will not process the resulting png correctly. . . . . I get a dds file that is mostly transparency with a white rectangle taking up the left hand side of the image for every one.

When I use it one some textures that where .png to start with it works fine.

How are you converting those JPGs to PNGs in the first place?

Hello

By any chance is possible to make converter to have option to can resize DDS directly like if file is 2048 to can make it 1048 or any rez it is need ????? at this moment i import DDS file in image editor i save like png & after that i use this wonderful converter to resize to what i want, i know i can make resize direct from image editor but that require to many setting to be done correctly for save dds :)

best toll ever made for this game what is a must have :)

cya around

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, I think i found a way for my install. In the DDS4KSP.exe I set the minimal res for conversion to 40 x 40. I discovered that most(didnt check every1 :-P) of the icon files have a resolution of 20x20 to 32x32 :-) I made the compress on a copy of the gamedatafolder, loaded it in ksp and all the icons works perfectly :-D

Hmm, skratch that...

That created a bug in the Gamedata folder that corrupted at least my savegame but mainly also contracts for some reason. The game was suddenly unable to create ANY contracts... didnt register those i had allready accepted earlier before the dds converting, and couldntget any new. Making a new career mode did not work either... couldnt get ksp to create any contracts. Also tried alt-F12 and reset, regenerate and so on...

Switching to my original unconverted gamedata folder fixed the problems :S

So what would happen if you did 64x64 then? Wouldn't that skip the bulk of the agency's yet still convert the bigger textures right?

Well for those that want the easy button (like me) this seems to be working fairly well:

I ran this tool and set the last pair of settings to 64x64 instead of the default 8x8. That seems to have skipped all the icons and agency flag's etc that caused issues with contracts not working and icons not working. After this tool was done running and before I started KSP I installed Active Texture Management figuring it would pickup any slack I left behind by changing the above setting.

Seems to have worked for my needs with only 1 issue: Magic Smoke Texture re-work - all the parts show up as just black, seemingly no textures or the white color somehow got flipped to black. I'm not sure why this happens, but I ended up just excluding the magicsmoke folder all together and let ATM pickup the slack there. Worked fine.

Well, Its good to have a .dds texture converter, but sadly its useless if you can't run it. I mean, I have a Mac and am running OSX. Any possibilities of a .dds converter that runs with OSX?

There are a few scripts in the DDSLoader thread that should work.

Yeah, there is this Python Gamedata converter thingy, but sadly I can't get it to work. Actually, do .png textures have bigger RAM footprint than .dds ones?

Depends. The game converts most things to DDS when you load the game anyway, so in some sense all you're wasting is loading time, though I recall that the converter uses a fair bit of RAM when it runs.

• 1 month later...

Not sure what the problem is but I had an issue with procedural fairings not showing up in the VAB...finally narrowed it down to running this. I'm not sure what else it's affecting so just decided to not use it for the time even though it does still save me memory.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just manually converted (for the most part, I used this on a some textures, like my texture pack heads and suits) all of my largest textures, including the ones from the Astronomer's visual pack, using GIMP with the gimp DDS plugin. So far it seems to be working well, and I am down to 1.8GB of RAM at the KSP loading screen, with astronomer's visual pack, a bunch of texture replacer suits and heads, nice skybox, kerbinside, ven's stock revamp, sxt, and a bunch of other mods. All I did was flip the png textures vertically, then export as DXT5 DDS with gimp. It's working well so far, running NO active texture management, on open-gl.

I was thinking about doing a write-up or getting some more opinions on it, but I'm not sure where to do so, or if anyone would be interested. It was time consuming, but easy.

• 2 months later...
i need an advice about a problem i found: when start my game icons from toolbar are a magenta square, and icons from ksps bar, are in white, i didnt touch anything only recommended options and did the conversion. can anyone help me?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although I have used this converter without issues for several months now on Windows 10, I recently migrated to a new laptop and have not been able to use this tool.

I installed the Microsoft .NET Framework (3.5) and DirectX components as usual (link in the OP no longer worked, so I had get a new link from a Google search). When I ran the converter, I am able to browse to the directory containing the images I wanted to convert, but when I pressed the conversion buttons, I get the following error message:

Mw0Du9t.png

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred in GDI+.
   at System.Drawing.Image.Save(Stream stream, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams)
   at System.Drawing.Image.Save(Stream stream, ImageFormat format)
   at DDS4KSP.IMGManager.gs_flip(GraphicsStream& gs)
   at DDS4KSP.IMGManager.convertFileToDDS(cConversionParameters& convParams, cFolderProcessingParams& CFG)
   at DDS4KSP.dlg_SingleFile.customShowDialog(String sFilePath)
   at DDS4KSP.FRM_main.ExportToDDSToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8670 (QFE.050727-8600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
DDS4KSP
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.1
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Robin/Desktop/DDS4KSP_0_1_7/DDS4KSP/DDS4KSP.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.8670 (QFE.050727-8600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
    Win32 Version: 9.05.132.0000
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll
Microsoft.DirectX
    Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.8693 built by: QFE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX
    Win32 Version: 5.04.00.3900
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I did do a quick Google search for "generic error occured in GDI+", but most of the results pertained to coding issues rather than missing dependenices.

Any ideas how to fix this?

@sarbian No joy - same generic error with GDI+, but with a slightly more informative message:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException (0x80004005): A generic error occurred in GDI+.
   at System.Drawing.Image.Save(Stream stream, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams)
   at System.Drawing.Image.Save(Stream stream, ImageFormat format)
   at DDS4KSP.IMGManager.gs_flip(GraphicsStream& gs)
   at DDS4KSP.IMGManager.convertFileToDDS(cConversionParameters& convParams, cFolderProcessingParams& CFG)
   at DDS4KSP.FolderLoader.processFileLists(String sFolderPath, ProgressBar& PB, Label& lInfos, cFolderProcessingParams& CFG)
   at DDS4KSP.FRM_main.ExportAllToDDSToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1063.1 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
DDS4KSP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Robin/Desktop/DDS4KSP_0_0_1_7/DDS4KSP_0_0_1_7/DDS4KSP.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D
    Win32 Version: 9.05.132.0000
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll
Microsoft.DirectX
    Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.dll
OpenFolderDialog
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Robin/Desktop/DDS4KSP_0_0_1_7/DDS4KSP_0_0_1_7/OpenFolderDialog.DLL
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX
    Win32 Version: 5.04.00.3900
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll
Microsoft.VisualC
    Win32 Version: 12.00.52512.0 built by: VSWINSERVICING
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualC/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualC.dll

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

I'm getting some exceptions as well... Tried the release version as well as the recompiled version sarbian posted a few posts up but here's what I'm getting.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
   at DDS4KSP.IMGManager.init()
   at DDS4KSP.FRM_main.FRM_main_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

mscorlib
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1063.1 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
DDS4KSP
    CodeBase: file:///E:/Downloads/DDS4KSP/DDS4KSP.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Win32 Version: 14.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 1:15 PM, sumghai said:

@sarbian No joy - same generic error with GDI+, but with a slightly more informative message:

I was having the same problem with the generic GDI+ error message.  I had to uncheck "flip png/tag?" to get the process to work.  I worked for the folder I was trying to convert after that.  Hope that helps...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.