[WIN] KSP to DDS texture converter

Lilleman

That's weird, it should be working with the current exceptions. At least, I didn't noticed anything particular on my setup (if you don't set exceptions however, they will be rendered as grey squares)... Nothing weird in the log?

Anyone else noticed this?

I've updated the exceptions list a few posts ago, be sure to get the last version in OP or here.

Also, I saw MoarDV's post in DOE's thread about how planets flares texture should be converted into a format with alpha channel, and this is the case here (only textures with no alpha (24bpp), and not detected as normalmap are saved to DXT1 format).

I just made a quick test with the last version of Karbonite and it seems to be working (by "nodes", you mean those huge orange spheres, right? In the last version, the closest spot is behind the mountains near the KSC). The folder containing the node texture and Karbonite maps should be skipped during conversion to avoid this problem, so the exceptions list has a line for the "CommunityResourcePack" folder.

yes thats exactly what im talking about, i can see nothing from the ground or in map mode or in 100k orbit. i tried restoring the mod and its definitely happening as a result of the conversion. also the resource overview icon for toolbar is broken

Edited by endl

the icon turns into a white box, i restored it also just thought id mention it in case its not on your exclusion list. i ran your program from inside the rar file so perhaps it didnt use the white list you created, this might have been the reason for my issue.

Edited by endl

Lilleman, I had a thought. Would it be possible to have multiple sets of exceptions. In other words, one set of exceptions that comes with the converter and another one that is only for custom arguments. In this fashion, it would be possible for people to customize their conversions and have those customizations persist through changes of the provided exceptions.

Maybe this in't the most useful thing, as my guess is that most exceptions would be pretty universal. However, that feature would be really useful when converting multiple folders. For instance, say I want to resize all textures by 1/2, but I don't want certain folders or parts to be resized at all. Setting a resize factor in a customizable config for specific folders would be great! It would save those with lots of mods from having to run the conversion multiple times on different folders.

Who knows, maybe it'd be useful??

Cheers!

Looks like a bit old (but still working) Targetron mod uses hardcoded texture paths too. Every icon in it's GUI replaced with question mark after ddsification of \GameData\Targetron\Icons\. I suggest adding it to exceptions list too.

I hope you'll get there soon (I can test if you want). LoadOnDemand practically removes memory load from part textures anyway (doesn't mean DDS is of no use - it greatly speeds up loading), but it doesn't do anything to ease load from planet textures.

@starkline: I'll see how I can implement something like this. For now what I have in mind is a button to select a custom exceptions list, and add some arguments to force resize ratios, would it work for what you have in mind?

@DragonEG: I'll test it and add exceptions. I should have update this list hours ago, but I had a few problems with some mods. It took me way too much time to realize it was textures corruptions because of win x64 KSP (it was working with a 1/2 chance)... Thanks for the report!

@Dragon01: RSS is a bit tedious to get working properly. Even after conversion, lots of parameters files needs to be changed, and the result I got so far is really broken... Glad to hear NathanKell and Sarbian are on it, because this mod and EVE are quite heavy and can't be converted yet.

EVE you can safely convert all textures that don't need to be kept readable (which AFAIK is everything except the cloud masks). RSS...yeah, that needs changes RSS-side although see the last couple pages of the thread for where one can use DDS textures (essentially, for everything but heightmaps).

@starkline: I'll see how I can implement something like this. For now what I have in mind is a button to select a custom exceptions list, and add some arguments to force resize ratios, would it work for what you have in mind?

What you're thinking of implementing sounds pretty much exactly like my thoughts. The only thing I would re-iterate is that the custom exceptions not supersede the standard exceptions, or at the least make that optional.

Again, regards for the converter. It saves so much time vs. going through it all with nvcompress. This, combined with DDSLoader itself has made KSP so much more enjoyable, so cheers to sarbian also! I'm not sure I posted that in the DDSLoader thread (it seems rude to post without a good reason), but maybe sarbian will see it here.

As some of you most likely noticed the last version of DDS loader has config file to set some file as readable for mods (and use ATM config for the same thing).

Now the only texture that should not be converted are those a plugin loads by hand. The textures with odd size(like the toolbar texture) could be converted in one of the new format I added that should support non multiple of 4 size.

I've done a bit of a search and it doesn't seem that there are many mac users taking advantage of DDS loader, is it compatible? I located a program called SquishDDS that does batch converts of png files to dds...heres a screenshot:

EBoNBWw.png

What settings should I be wary of during conversion? Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the mods that have hard coded pngs:

- Distant Object Enchancement

- Contracts Window

- Engineer (stock toolbar icon)

- Kerbal Flight Indicators

- Vanguard Technologies (Ejection module)

- PlanetShine

- Mission Controller

- SCANsat

- Targetron

- Interstellar (Megajoule and Thermal Helper icons)

- Action Groups Extended

Those are the addons I had to revert to backups to get the textures right.

Edited by Enceos
found more

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.