KSP Nostalgia..

sjwt

Oh dear. The memories. Remember turning your patched conics up so you could see where you would arrive on the planet or something like that in the map?

I can even remember when the orbits were only shown for the body you were around, you didn't even get to see when you would intercept the Mun until you entered it's orbit.

My first Mun impact (failed landing) was with a TARDIS mod in 0.16. That was an OP mod. Also I can remember practicing docking in 0.17 with a docking mod. Also an early solar panel mod with electricity mod before the official release. Landing on wiglets and stuff. Those time was really challenging but it was fun.:)

It's funny how we hated the launch tower at the time, but now we miss it.

No, just no. Even now, every time I see a pic of the launch tower now my brain does this: "I thought I was over you. I thought I wasn't mad at you anymore. I thought we had gone our separate ways and could be civil. But I'm not over it. I'm still mad. I still want you to suffer like you made me suffer. I never want to see you again."

Edit: That's some deep lurking from the poster below. :)

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Man, was 0.20 so much different than today.

It was a true space race for me; I began my journey with simple, inefficient suborbital rockets, then slowly, but surely, I built and progressed my way to orbital. My spacecraft grew larger and more advanced, and my fear of over-engineering began to dissipate. Before I knew it, I was landing on the Mun, and soon returning to tell the tale. I then made my first docking. It was tense, and it took at least an hour, but that marked the beginning of a new era. My first space station was built, and multiple crafts were docking together to accomplish larger tasks. Planes, too, were beginning to become common. while today they still do not make orbital flights, they are still well built and grace the skies on a regular basis. then, my first out-of-Kerbin mission began. A short mission, just leaving's Kerbin's SOI, was my first true taste of legitimate interplanetary space. Now, a new program has begun, the mun Project, where a space station and Munar settlement are under construction. plans are being made for the first Duna mission as I wait for the launch window. I sometimes look back at my early days of KSP, remembering the struggle and anger of my inadequate spacecraft. Yet then I knew someday I would be better, stronger, and more knowledgeable, and it would be then space would be easy. Those times are now, and I know what it is like to be a true explorer.

I do actually weep for the ol'days aerospike. I know that their thrust/Isp was too much in comparison with the other engines, especially with inbuilt insensitivity to outside atmo pressure, but ... :(

Well, IMO the OP aerospike should return, now that it has a price.

Well, IMO the OP aerospike should return, now that it has a price.

Not OP, realistic ;) The values SQUAD used in those days for the aerospike were textbook ones straight out the tests made by JPL. The issue is that, exactly like in RL, the aerospike engines were massively better in terms of thrust/Isp than conventional bell shaped engines, and thus were bad for gameplay. OFC that the aerospikes have their own issues, but those couldn't be modeled in the day. But, yeah, I agree it would make sense to bring back the ol'days aerospike specs, but at a outrageous price ( like in RL? ;) ) and high in the tech tree ( well, it already is ... )

Edited by r_rolo1

I came into the game at 0.18 after Eeloo was added. The nostalgia trip for me would be the old KSC (not that i miss it) and runway island, the old rock hard SAS and once you disabled it during plane flights the plane would spiral out of control, the old Mun, Minmus, Duna which were flatter, the lack of reentry effects, the only time you knew you were aerobraking was when you saw a massive drop of orbital speed, RCS rovers with landing gear as wheels, before rover wheels were added, the old animations that the Kebals had at flight mode (at the right down portion of the screen). Man this game has gone a long way

I still remember downloading the game when it was still in 0.13.3 three years ago....

Then I bought the game during the 0.16 update(worst time to buy it, right? :P)...

I can't believe how far the game has gone.

So much nostalgia because of you, mainly because I have other strong memories about event occurring around the first time I played it.

I still remember how I discovered KSP: it was in a french magazine that presented how to make it's own rocket, with KSP. As soon as I saw the page(yes, only one page), I knew I had to try it.

And as soon as I downloaded KSP, I knew I won't stop playing it :)

turn out I was right ;)

Also, I found it cool to watching a game being developed updates by updates, it's like beign part of the history(of the game, of course).

Oh, and I still remember the launch tower. I used the mod that removed it not long before the update that removed it forever: one of my design to go to the mün(if I recall correctly) was just too big and it was clipping in it.

Edited by goldenpeach

When I first got the game, after you landed on Mun or Minmus, all there was to do was take screenshots and come home again. Kerbals hadn't invented doors yet, and couldn't get out of the ships.

Fq3pzzA.png

Similarly, one could rendezvous, but then just come home again because we had no docking parts.

810pg2U.png

The times when there was no proper animated landing wheels for planes. And designing them in the only building - VAB, with the old C7 parts, back in the days when it wasnt stock

They seemed so pretty...

EDIT: Also the times there was no proper QA team and the only people giving any feedback was the community

Edited by Veeltch

No, just no. Even now, every time I see a pic of the launch tower now my brain does this: "I thought I was over you. I thought I wasn't mad at you anymore. I thought we had gone our separate ways and could be civil. But I'm not over it. I'm still mad. I still want you to suffer like you made me suffer. I never want to see you again."

Bringing that launcher tower back in KSP 0.25. Not necessarily on the launchpad, but somewhere near the KSC.

As a destructible building.

Just so I an blow it up.

And again.

And again.

And again.

Andagainandagainandagainandagain.

Doing it what it did to us.

Oooh yesss...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.